winword.exe will not default to open .doc files

Follow
Email
So i've reaad other threads regarding this but none of the troubleshooting methods work...so microsoft office word 2007 (winword.exe) will not get set to the default to open .doc files...it is set to open all other types (.docx, .dochtml, etc.) but just wont for .doc files...ive done the 'winword /r' trick to no avail...setting protocol defaults, doing 'open with...', but whenever i do these two winword.exe doesnt show up and when i browse for it it still will not default to it when selected...not sure why but its only with .doc files...any help? It is currently defaulting to microsoft works word processor (ew)..Thanks for any help
0
Reply sfbtwo (4) 2/25/2010 6:55:34 PM

From your description, I suspect that you haven't write access to the
registry. Is this a computer on a corporate network? If so, talk to the
network administrator.

If it is a stand-alone (home) computer, try logging in as Administrator, and
then try the fixes again.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sfbtwo" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> So i've reaad other threads regarding this but none of the troubleshooting
> methods work...so microsoft office word 2007 (winword.exe) will not get
> set to the default to open .doc files...it is set to open all other types
> (.docx, .dochtml, etc.) but just wont for .doc files...ive done the
> 'winword /r' trick to no avail...setting protocol defaults, doing 'open
> with...', but whenever i do these two winword.exe doesnt show up and when
> i browse for it it still will not default to it when selected...not sure
> why but its only with .doc files...any help? It is currently defaulting to
> microsoft works word processor (ew)..Thanks for any help
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.newusers/

0
Reply Stefan 2/26/2010 7:35:58 PM
i am the administrator on this computer (it is a home laptop) so that shouldnt be the problem.
0
Reply sfbtwo (4) 2/27/2010 1:32:51 AM
See http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm which shows the registry
edits needed to set this manually.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

>i am the administrator on this computer (it is a home laptop) so that
>shouldnt be the problem.
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.newusers/winword.exe-will-not-default-to-open-doc-files

0
Reply Graham 2/27/2010 7:03:40 AM
well, add another method to the failed list. I tried adding the "%1" or whatever it said to and then deleting it even and it still wouldnt open in word 2007...and i still couldnt get the browse method to work after changing either....i dont know what the heck is going on but its frustrating haha
0
Reply sfbtwo (4) 2/28/2010 12:52:59 AM
I have the same problem with winword 2003 and windows 7. Any answer?
0
Reply Adham 4/28/2010 4:50:19 PM
Go to the Control Panel | Program Control, run Office setup and choose
REPAIR.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Adham" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> I have the same problem with winword 2003 and windows 7. Any answer?
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.newusers/winword.exe-will-not-default-to-open-doc-files

0
Reply Terry 4/28/2010 6:25:46 PM
See http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Adham" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
>I have the same problem with winword 2003 and windows 7. Any answer?
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.newusers/winword.exe-will-not-default-to-open-doc-files

0
Reply Graham 4/29/2010 5:02:56 AM
Follow
Email

Opens in Restore Down
I have a spreadsheet that opens in Restore Down. I have maximized, saved and exited Excel. When I double-click the spreadsheet from Explorer, it opens in Restore Down again. I cannot find a setting for this. My other spreadsheets do not do this. Renee Try this, Renee, but no promises. Open the workbook. Hit Window-->Arrange, and hit OK. Then double-click the worksheet's title bar. SAVE. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "rreneerob" <rreneerob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83C6FD71-87AA-444F-B187-0DDE3CCD5362@microsoft.com... &g...

Backoffice GWClient.exe tool
I am trying to fix a Free/Busy issue on one of my exchange servers with a client. The following article references what looks to be the fix. Does anyone know where I can get the GWClient.exe from? I don't have the Backoffice resource kit http://support.microsoft.com/?id=250051 Thanks in advance Nevermind I used MDBVU32.EXE instead. Thanks "Bob Smith" wrote: > I am trying to fix a Free/Busy issue on one of my exchange servers with a > client. The following article references what looks to be the fix. Does > anyone know where I can get the GWClient.exe from? I d...

Problems Publishing a pdf File
I installed Office 2007 a month ago and was using the "Publish as PDF" in Publisher with beautiful results! Then, I took the same file, made some changes and now when I "Publish as PDF" the graphics that had transparent backgrounds now have black backgrounds. I finally discovered the difference! In Adobe Reader v9 which was on there all along, clicking File/Properties on the first file says that PDF Producer is "Office Publisher 2007". The PDF version is "1.5 (Acrobat 6.x)". The pdf file that is messing up has the PDF version as "1.4 (Acrobat...

Word windows 07 docs let's crash win for mac 2008

Outlook 2000 outbox will not clear
I can send a message out and it goes, but it remains in my Outbox as though it is waiting to be sent. They do go to Sent Items, but also remain in Outbox. How can I get messages to clear out of Outbox? ...

Order by on form open
Private Sub DateOfServiceLabel_Click() If Right(Me.OrderBy, 4) = "DESC" Then Me.OrderBy = "[DateOfService]" Else Me.OrderBy = "[DateOfService]" & " DESC" End If Me.OrderByOn = True Me.OrderByOn = True ------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub DoctorLabel_Click() If Right(Me.OrderBy, 4) = "DESC" Then Me.OrderBy = "[Doctor]" Else Me.OrderBy = "[Doctor]" & " DESC" End If Me.OrderByOn = True Me.OrderByOn = True I use these codes on the on click event of the label...

Inserting 5 files into one document
Word/Office 2000 Windows XP Pro SP2 I have five documents I want to insert, one by one, into one document. Each one has, in the bottom footer, its own File Name and Path and page numbers I will be saving to Cute PDF Writer. When the five documents are inserted into the one document, does each one keep its own identity (its own file path)? Or do I have to create sections? And if that's the case, I assume I look for the end of each document and select a 'Next Page' break. When they've become one document, they don't have five different paths. ...

Problem importing a .pst file
Hi. I'm trying to import messages stored in a .pst file into Outlook (version 9.0.0.2711) with OS W2K. The file was created in Outlook under Windows XP. No error messages appear. The copying barometer comes up and it looks as if the messages are being imported. The problem is that I can't find them anywhere. What's going on? Tim ...

How to decrypt a file in winword #2
Hi, I'm anim. When WinWord.exe reads encrypted file(which has encrypted by my app's engine) I want to intercept the function ReadFile(), and decrypt data and toss it to the winword. For this, I think about 3 methods. 1. try to use api-hooking : succeed in hooking, but could't find doc data in the buffer of the readfile(). 2. by using office xp developer : not try, Is it possible to control file input/output? 3. by using automation : not try, Is it possible to control file input/output? Which one is it better? And any other way to do this? Regards. ...

Saving Outlook Email As Text File Extract
Hello Outlook Group: I'm normally an Access and Excel VBA programmer, but my client wants me to scrape the text from a select email address and insert it into an Access memo column. Does anyone know how to configure Outlook (VBA approach would be fine) so that when an email is received in a selected account, the message would also be extracted to a directory as a text file and then the Outlook message would be moved to some history folder. Once the text file exists in a predefined folder , I will just have Access periodically check the folder for files, grab the text, ...

Set default time for activity
The default time in an activity is set to 12:00am. Is it possible to change the default to something more appropriate such as 09:00? Thanks ...

Command button opening new window
Within my main form, I have command buttons that run query searches that open a new window based on the search information I input. It always opens in a new window, and also leaves the main form open. Is it possible to have the search opened in the same window? Thanks! Not really. A Sekect query opens as a datasheet form. You could create a subform on your main form and make the record source of the sub form the query you are running. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Shari" wrote: > Within my main form, I have command buttons that run query searches that open > ...

vProTray.exe Anti-Virus Software
Hi All, On our Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 - Windows 2003 Server, whenever we log off the server we get "End Program - VProTray.exe". If we turn off the Anti-virus software we don't get the "end program” However we would like to have the anti-virus turned on. Is there a setting I'm missing? I don't want to interfere (meaning break) with GP though. Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_D4CFA85B Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit This issue is not related to Microsoft Dynamics GP and should not affect GP in anyway. I would contact the Ant...

Excel.exe is not a valid Win32 Application.
My system: Vista Business 32bit with SP1, Office 2007 Professional with SP1. For a while I was running Vista (without SP1) and using Office 2007 with SP1. Rarely any issues. Sometime after installing Vista SP1, I've been having odd issues with my Office installation, Excel especially. I don't know if it's its SP1 related, or if it's just something went wrong with the Office install. Here's the issue. I leave my PC on 24/7 and simply lock it when I leave the office. After several days, Excel will just stop working, completely. When I try to launch excel I get t...

Quickbooks pro 2002 will not back up
Has any one found a fix for Quickbooks pro when it all of a sudden stops backing with no error report. I just reads Data not backed up. I'm running XP prof. Thanks Change the location that the destination file is backing up to? My best guess.... -- Kevin Hill 3NF Consulting www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm "BMyers" <bndmyers@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:059401c36b01$871b2bb0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Has any one found a fix for Quickbooks pro when it all of > a sudden stops backing with no error report. I just reads > Data not backed up. I'm runni...

why does .eps graphics files show as transparent?
using office 2003, and can insert .eps formatted graphics, but all i get is a transparant white box. is there a setting i must change? i have already made sure that the .eps graphics filter is installed in office. any help? thanks. dan m <dan m@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > using office 2003, and can insert .eps formatted graphics, but all i > get is a transparant white box. is there a setting i must change? i > have already made sure that the .eps graphics filter is installed in > office. any help? thanks. Does the graphic show when you...

Deserializing an XML (soap) file on a pocket pc into a hashtable
I am porting some code from a PC to a PocketPC. I want to read data from an XML-file into a hashtable. But since the soapformatter does not exist in the compact framework I have to find a workaround. I have tried to use xmlserializer, but it always wants me to supply it with a type. If I use the type of hashtable I get an exception. Any help or hints would be highly appreciated. Below is the code as it more or less looks in my program : [Serializable] public struct CMDCLASSES { public Hashtable CmdClasses; } public CMDCLASSES ReadXml(string filename) { Stream streamReader = null; ...

disable default IME for a specific window...
Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to programatically disable the "Default IME" for a specific window/richeditctrl? Regards, Dave ...

default paste option?
I use ON 2010 beta. Is it possible to set a default style for pasting? I can select among the options "keep source formatting" "merge formatting" "only text" but I only wish ON to paste only in "merge formatting" style. Was not this possible in ON 2007? Why not in On 2010? problem solved "minimus" <minimus@live.co.uk> wrote in message news:hihsia$hsu$1@news.eternal-september.org... > I use ON 2010 beta. Is it possible to set a default style for pasting? I > can select among the options > > &quo...

MSExchangeIS will not run on Priv1.edb (only on Pub1.edb)
I hit my 16 GB limit and now we made room in our email boxes after using regedit to allow temp 1GB. I customized my maintenance schedule to run all the time and now I'm seeing maintenance run on my Pub database but never on the Priv1. Now that I look back in the Even Viewer, I can't see that MSExchangeIS has ever run on Priv1.edb. I need the maintenance to run in order to run an offline defrag of the mailbox store and regain the space. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Win 2k, Xchange 2k (Sp3), new server (Xeon), 4GB RAM and 4GB avail on C: 65GB on D:. Temporarily disable your...

Winword Error
I use Word and my email editor and I'm having a Winword error on all my email. The message is the details is "WINWORD executed an invalid instruction in module MSO9.DLL at 017f:3095b4cb" Outlook then freezes and I have to Alt/Cont/Delete to close Outlook. Outlook work OK as long as I use Outlook email editor. Help ...

Margins will not mirror on 2-page layout
I am creating a catalog with 2 pages per 8.5 x 11 sheet, landscape orientation. From what I have read, the margins are supposed to be equal on outsides and insides of each page. No matter what I do there remains a 2 mm discrepancy. The text on the right side of the page is shifted 2 mm to the right when compared to the text on the left side of the page. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using Microsoft Word 2007 on Windows Vista Home Premium if that makes a difference. Are you seeing this on the screen or on printout? If the latter, it will be a result of your ...

changing default new subdirectory size
Hello; I use Windows XP sp3; How can I change the default size of a new subdirectory. Without using Explorer, I use "details" view of my subs, open more than one and transfer or copy files. I know I can size each sub and Windows will remember its size/location, but each time I open a data-CD or a flash-USB-drive, it default into a large, with right-half empty, subdirectory. So each time I have to resize and Windows does not remember these subs size/location. I tried to size My Computer directory, in Folder Options; View tab, I asked Windows to "Apply To All Folde...

Reduce doc to be able to print 4 on 1 page
Using Publisher 2007, I used a template to create a flier. I would like to reduce the size of the flier (entire document), so that I may have 4 of them on one sheet (8 1/2 x 11) How do I go about doing this?? Ideally you should have created it the size you needed from the beginning but there are a couple of things you can do. You could save it as a .jpg and then when you print it, print 4 on a page. You could copy that page three more times and then save that file as a .pdf. When you print the .pdf, tell it multiple pages on one page. I'll bet others can come up with alt...

How to create a dynamic link library(EXE)?
Hello all: I want to create a dynamic link library using win32 console application and it's file-name extension is exe,how to do?Who could give me an example? thanks very much. This might be interesting to you as a starting point: http://www.codeproject.com/dll/beginnerdll.asp Tom "Lee Tow" <fbjlt@pub3.fz.fj.cn> wrote in message news:ePiQMolXHHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hello all: > I want to create a dynamic link library using win32 console > application and it's file-name extension is exe,how to do?Who could > give me an example? &g...