winword.exe will not default to open .doc files

  • Follow

So i've reaad other threads regarding this but none of the troubleshooting methods work...so microsoft office word 2007 (winword.exe) will not get set to the default to open .doc files...it is set to open all other types (.docx, .dochtml, etc.) but just wont for .doc files...ive done the 'winword /r' trick to no avail...setting protocol defaults, doing 'open with...', but whenever i do these two winword.exe doesnt show up and when i browse for it it still will not default to it when selected...not sure why but its only with .doc files...any help? It is currently defaulting to microsoft works word processor (ew)..Thanks for any help
0
Reply sfbtwo (4) 2/25/2010 6:55:34 PM

From your description, I suspect that you haven't write access to the
registry. Is this a computer on a corporate network? If so, talk to the
network administrator.

If it is a stand-alone (home) computer, try logging in as Administrator, and
then try the fixes again.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sfbtwo" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> So i've reaad other threads regarding this but none of the troubleshooting
> methods work...so microsoft office word 2007 (winword.exe) will not get
> set to the default to open .doc files...it is set to open all other types
> (.docx, .dochtml, etc.) but just wont for .doc files...ive done the
> 'winword /r' trick to no avail...setting protocol defaults, doing 'open
> with...', but whenever i do these two winword.exe doesnt show up and when
> i browse for it it still will not default to it when selected...not sure
> why but its only with .doc files...any help? It is currently defaulting to
> microsoft works word processor (ew)..Thanks for any help
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.newusers/

0
Reply Stefan 2/26/2010 7:35:58 PM

i am the administrator on this computer (it is a home laptop) so that shouldnt be the problem.
0
Reply sfbtwo (4) 2/27/2010 1:32:51 AM

See http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm which shows the registry
edits needed to set this manually.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

>i am the administrator on this computer (it is a home laptop) so that
>shouldnt be the problem.
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.newusers/winword.exe-will-not-default-to-open-doc-files

0
Reply Graham 2/27/2010 7:03:40 AM

well, add another method to the failed list. I tried adding the "%1" or whatever it said to and then deleting it even and it still wouldnt open in word 2007...and i still couldnt get the browse method to work after changing either....i dont know what the heck is going on but its frustrating haha
0
Reply sfbtwo (4) 2/28/2010 12:52:59 AM

I have the same problem with winword 2003 and windows 7. Any answer?
0
Reply Adham 4/28/2010 4:50:19 PM

Go to the Control Panel | Program Control, run Office setup and choose
REPAIR.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Adham" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> I have the same problem with winword 2003 and windows 7. Any answer?
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.newusers/winword.exe-will-not-default-to-open-doc-files

0
Reply Terry 4/28/2010 6:25:46 PM

See http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

"Adham" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
>I have the same problem with winword 2003 and windows 7. Any answer?
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.newusers/winword.exe-will-not-default-to-open-doc-files

0