How do I insert Roman Numerals?

  • Follow

New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
Numerlas in my document?
3
Reply Utf 1/18/2010 2:13:02 PM

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

Just type them...
II
III
IV
VI
VII
VIII
IX
XI

etc etc.

0
Reply Gordon 1/18/2010 2:20:36 PM

Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro

Dim oRng As Range
Set oRng = Selection.Range
oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False

it will thus display XX1

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"ckj" <ckj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New to Word 2007 would someone please explain to me how to insert Roman
> Numerlas in my document?

-2
Reply Graham 1/18/2010 3:04:56 PM

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>
> Dim oRng As Range
> Set oRng = Selection.Range
> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>
> it will thus display XX1

Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Reply Gordon 1/18/2010 3:18:14 PM

Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some of
the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does not use
Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work out the
ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then type that?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>
>> Dim oRng As Range
>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>
>> it will thus display XX1
>

> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Reply Graham 1/18/2010 3:28:54 PM

> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?

<sigh> you're right - everyone should have a classical education.... :-(

0
Reply Gordon 1/18/2010 4:11:36 PM

The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
;-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Reply JoAnn 1/18/2010 4:59:59 PM

But writing macros does.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
> ;-)
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

-1
Reply Doug 1/18/2010 7:44:21 PM

But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
> type that?
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Type a number e.g. 21, select it and run the following macro
>>>
>>> Dim oRng As Range
>>> Set oRng = Selection.Range
>>> oRng.Fields.Add oRng, 34, oRng.Text & " \*Roman", False
>>> ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
>>>
>>> it will thus display XX1
>>

>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Reply Terry 1/18/2010 10:41:06 PM

If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
:)

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"Terry Farrell" <terryfarrell@msn.com> wrote in message
> But the point is that XX1 is never correct: it has to be XXI :)
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and some
>> of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who does
>> not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro to work
>> out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is MDLXXV then
>> type that?
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Isn't it just easier to type XXI ?

0
Reply Graham 1/19/2010 6:55:04 AM

:)

tf

> If only Outlook Express supported the macros, we might not have such typos
> :)
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

1
Reply Terry 1/19/2010 9:37:12 AM

Yes, they do.  :-)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" <dkr@REMOVECAPSmvps.org> wrote in message
> But writing macros does.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.

> services on a paid consulting basis.

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> The good thing about trying to remember the correct Roman numeral is that
>> helps to keep the mind active. Relying on a macro doesn't really do that.
>> ;-)
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Graham Mayor" <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, but not everyone is familiar with the use of roman numerals and
>>> some of the larger numbers mayrequire a little thought from someone who
>>> does not use Roman Numerals frequently. Is it quicker to use the macro
>>> to work out the ROMAN equivalent of 1575 or to work out that it is
>>> MDLXXV then type that?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>>
>>> My web site www.gmayor.com