Word keeps CONFIGURING on start

Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens about every
third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with any other OFFICE
program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems reported.  Thanks for any
help.  Skip

In news:66A5CAC9-BA07-4E97-962F-1971DD7BB592@microsoft.com,
Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens
> about every third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with
> any other OFFICE program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
> reported.  Thanks for any help.  Skip

Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs, usually,
one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to run two different
versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure out whether it's another
program you run that makes it reinstall.  The other program might be
reinstalling something too, only doing it so fast you don't notice it.
Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP operated exactly like that when both were
installed. And yet they could both run simulatneiously - go figger!

HTH,

Twayne

0
Twayne
1/21/2010 2:26:08 AM
Twayne,

I did keep my original Office 97, because I like the bells and whistles it
offered, such as pix and scrbeans etc.  When I boot up, everything is great.
All desktop icons show, and are functional.  Even if the very first thing I
do is try and open WORD 2007, it goes through this whole CONFIGURING process,
3-4 minutes, then starts right up.  I have used the Office 97 with WIN XP for
years and never had this type of problem.  I don't really want to uninstall
my Office 97.  Do you think that is my only option?  Thanks, Skip

"Twayne" wrote:

> In news:66A5CAC9-BA07-4E97-962F-1971DD7BB592@microsoft.com,
> Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens
> > about every third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with
> > any other OFFICE program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
> > reported.  Thanks for any help.  Skip
>
> Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs, usually,
> one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to run two different
> versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure out whether it's another
> program you run that makes it reinstall.  The other program might be
> reinstalling something too, only doing it so fast you don't notice it.
> Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP operated exactly like that when both were
> installed. And yet they could both run simulatneiously - go figger!
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne
>

> .

Skip, see
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=762 which
gives instructions for a registry change that will cure the problem.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:12:06 -0800, Skip
<Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Twayne,
>
>I did keep my original Office 97, because I like the bells and whistles it
>offered, such as pix and scrbeans etc.  When I boot up, everything is great.
>All desktop icons show, and are functional.  Even if the very first thing I
>do is try and open WORD 2007, it goes through this whole CONFIGURING process,
>3-4 minutes, then starts right up.  I have used the Office 97 with WIN XP for
>years and never had this type of problem.  I don't really want to uninstall
>my Office 97.  Do you think that is my only option?  Thanks, Skip
>
>"Twayne" wrote:
>
>> In news:66A5CAC9-BA07-4E97-962F-1971DD7BB592@microsoft.com,
>> Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>> > Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens
>> > about every third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with
>> > any other OFFICE program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
>> > reported.  Thanks for any help.  Skip
>>
>> Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs, usually,
>> one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to run two different
>> versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure out whether it's another
>> program you run that makes it reinstall.  The other program might be
>> reinstalling something too, only doing it so fast you don't notice it.
>> Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP operated exactly like that when both were
>> installed. And yet they could both run simulatneiously - go figger!
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Twayne
>>

>> .

0
Jay
1/21/2010 3:34:26 AM
In news:9ECA3BB4-99B6-471D-A99B-B6BB6FD8DBA7@microsoft.com,
Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Twayne,
>
> I did keep my original Office 97, because I like the bells and
> whistles it offered, such as pix and scrbeans etc.  When I boot up,
> everything is great. All desktop icons show, and are functional.
> Even if the very first thing I do is try and open WORD 2007, it goes
> through this whole CONFIGURING process, 3-4 minutes, then starts
> right up.  I have used the Office 97 with WIN XP for years and never
> had this type of problem.  I don't really want to uninstall my Office
> 97.  Do you think that is my only option?  Thanks, Skip
>
> "Twayne" wrote:
>
>> In news:66A5CAC9-BA07-4E97-962F-1971DD7BB592@microsoft.com,
>> Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens
>>> about every third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with
>>> any other OFFICE program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
>>> reported.  Thanks for any help.  Skip
>>
>> Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs,
>> usually, one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to
>> run two different versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure
>> out whether it's another program you run that makes it reinstall.
>> The other program might be reinstalling something too, only doing it
>> so fast you don't notice it. Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP
>> operated exactly like that when both were installed. And yet they
>> could both run simulatneiously - go figger!
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Twayne
>>

>> .

Oof, that's a long time to have to wait!  Looks like Jay has a good response
for you though. It'll stop them from stepping on each other.

Twayne

0
Twayne

Printing WORD docs from a form

Info Store won't start after installing exchange in child domain
We are installing exchange 2003 in a child domain of a domain tree where an exchange 2003 server already exists in the parent domain. Netdiag and DCDiag were both performed before installation and indicated no problems with the general setup. The account used to install exchange has Full Exchange Administration rights at the org. level. The installation completes without any error messages, but it is impossible to start the information store. The store refuses to start and events 9153, 1121 and 5000 are then logged in the event log. Event 1121: Error 0x8004010f connecting to the Microsoft Ac...

Installer configures Office 2007 on startup/reboot
Thanks to postings in this group I recently overcame some problems with MS Installer configuring Office 2007 whenever one of the Office programs was started. I will post that solution after I solve the last part of the problem, which is: Installer runs some sort of configuration routine for Office 2007 upon reboot/restart or power up. Any ideas, anybody, on how to stop this behavior? Thanks Uninstall Office 2007 and then re-install. Make sure you save all your data files that are needed -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

Exchange circular logging keeps switching itself on
Hi sbs 2003 standard with exchange 2003. I keep turning off circular logging in exchange but it keeps turning itself on. What is the problem and how can I keep the circular logging off permanently? Thanks Regards On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 00:13:17 -0000, "John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote: >sbs 2003 standard with exchange 2003. I keep turning off circular logging in >exchange but it keeps turning itself on. What is the problem and how can I >keep the circular logging off permanently? Since this is SBS, I'd guess there's some sort of...

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Where are my saved word?

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Unable to configure as Exchange client for Exchange2010
Hi, We have deployed Exchange server2010 in our Organization and trying to configure Exchange client in Entourage 2008, I cannot connect to Exchange server but im able to configure\connect entourage2008 to Exchange2007 or Exchange2003 servers sucessfully. awaiting for your valuable reply. -- Signing off, Lokesh On 3/3/10 8:27 AM, in article EA13E8D6-D3F7-4781-ACB6-A8DDE95F5E9E@microsoft.com, "LokeshBabu" <lokeshth@live.in> wrote: > Hi, > > We have deployed Exchange server2010 in our Organization and trying to > configure Exchange clie...

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...

microsoft word
is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks Debra Dalgleish has an example at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#CopyToWord It's a way of copying comments in a worksheet to a word document. But you can see the structure nicely. head wrote: > > is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Communicator 2007 R2 will not start
I have installed Office Communicator 2007 R2 on Windows XP with SP3. The installation goes smoothly and completes. However, when I attempt to start the hourglass appears for a few seconds and nothing happens. There are no error messages logged in the Event Viewer. It appears others have had similar issues, however the posts lead to a dead end. I found one solution on 'Experts Exchange', but I do not want to subscribe to this service, since I already have this service. Is there someone who knows the solution to this problem, that will not lead to a dead end? T...

Word conversion
I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste t Excel, all the items are in one cell. Is there a way to paste the item into Excel into different columns? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use Data | Text to Columns | Delimited and choose a space as the delimiter. Just follow the dialogue. Regards Trevor "mrroboto >" <<mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste to > Excel, all the ite...

Information Store and MTA fail to start after reboot
When I reboot our Exchange 2003 SP2 server the Information Store and MTA fails to start. I am able to start both of them manually (they are both set to start automatically). The server has GFI mail essentials, Microsoft Live Communication Server and Computer Associates eTrust Anti-virus installed on it. The problem had not occurred until recently (probably after an install of some Microsoft patches). I have listed all of the error messages we are getting below after a reboot. I have searched the Microsoft forums and googled the problem but have been unable to find a solution (I f...

Use Word 2007 to edit Outlook 2003?
I have Word 2007 from the teacher and student edition, so it did not come with Outlook 2007. I use Outlook 2003 from an earlier package. I would like to use Word as my email editor, but when I go to Outlook's Tools/Options/Mail Format tab the boxes say Word 2003 and are grayed out; there is no option for Word 2007, nor a way to click on Word 2003. Is there a way to use Word as my email editor? Thanks, tfall No. Version must match. It has been ever thus. -- Russ Valentine "tfall" <tfall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A58F9CAE-086B-4B7...