Word keeps CONFIGURING on start

  • Follow

Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens about every
third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with any other OFFICE
program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems reported.  Thanks for any
help.  Skip
0
Reply Utf 1/21/2010 2:17:01 AM

In news:66A5CAC9-BA07-4E97-962F-1971DD7BB592@microsoft.com,
Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens
> about every third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with
> any other OFFICE program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
> reported.  Thanks for any help.  Skip

Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs, usually,
one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to run two different
versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure out whether it's another
program you run that makes it reinstall.  The other program might be
reinstalling something too, only doing it so fast you don't notice it.
Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP operated exactly like that when both were
installed. And yet they could both run simulatneiously - go figger!

HTH,

Twayne

0
Reply Twayne 1/21/2010 2:26:08 AM

Twayne,

I did keep my original Office 97, because I like the bells and whistles it
offered, such as pix and scrbeans etc.  When I boot up, everything is great.
All desktop icons show, and are functional.  Even if the very first thing I
do is try and open WORD 2007, it goes through this whole CONFIGURING process,
3-4 minutes, then starts right up.  I have used the Office 97 with WIN XP for
years and never had this type of problem.  I don't really want to uninstall
my Office 97.  Do you think that is my only option?  Thanks, Skip

"Twayne" wrote:

> In news:66A5CAC9-BA07-4E97-962F-1971DD7BB592@microsoft.com,
> Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens
> > about every third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with
> > any other OFFICE program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
> > reported.  Thanks for any help.  Skip
>
> Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs, usually,
> one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to run two different
> versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure out whether it's another
> program you run that makes it reinstall.  The other program might be
> reinstalling something too, only doing it so fast you don't notice it.
> Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP operated exactly like that when both were
> installed. And yet they could both run simulatneiously - go figger!
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne
>

> .

0
Reply Utf 1/21/2010 3:12:06 AM

Skip, see
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=762 which
gives instructions for a registry change that will cure the problem.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:12:06 -0800, Skip
<Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Twayne,
>
>I did keep my original Office 97, because I like the bells and whistles it
>offered, such as pix and scrbeans etc.  When I boot up, everything is great.
>All desktop icons show, and are functional.  Even if the very first thing I
>do is try and open WORD 2007, it goes through this whole CONFIGURING process,
>3-4 minutes, then starts right up.  I have used the Office 97 with WIN XP for
>years and never had this type of problem.  I don't really want to uninstall
>my Office 97.  Do you think that is my only option?  Thanks, Skip
>
>"Twayne" wrote:
>
>> In news:66A5CAC9-BA07-4E97-962F-1971DD7BB592@microsoft.com,
>> Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>> > Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens
>> > about every third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with
>> > any other OFFICE program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
>> > reported.  Thanks for any help.  Skip
>>
>> Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs, usually,
>> one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to run two different
>> versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure out whether it's another
>> program you run that makes it reinstall.  The other program might be
>> reinstalling something too, only doing it so fast you don't notice it.
>> Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP operated exactly like that when both were
>> installed. And yet they could both run simulatneiously - go figger!
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Twayne
>>

>> .

0
Reply Jay 1/21/2010 3:34:26 AM

In news:9ECA3BB4-99B6-471D-A99B-B6BB6FD8DBA7@microsoft.com,
Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Twayne,
>
> I did keep my original Office 97, because I like the bells and
> whistles it offered, such as pix and scrbeans etc.  When I boot up,
> everything is great. All desktop icons show, and are functional.
> Even if the very first thing I do is try and open WORD 2007, it goes
> through this whole CONFIGURING process, 3-4 minutes, then starts
> right up.  I have used the Office 97 with WIN XP for years and never
> had this type of problem.  I don't really want to uninstall my Office
> 97.  Do you think that is my only option?  Thanks, Skip
>
> "Twayne" wrote:
>
>> In news:66A5CAC9-BA07-4E97-962F-1971DD7BB592@microsoft.com,
>> Skip <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> Does anyone know why WORD keeps CONFIGURING on start?  It happens
>>> about every third time I start WORD 2007.   It does not happen with
>>> any other OFFICE program.  I ran MS diagnostics and had no problems
>>> reported.  Thanks for any help.  Skip
>>
>> Normally that would mean that something is being run that disturbs,
>> usually, one of the files in the "common" folders. e.g. trying to
>> run two different versions of Office or Word. See if you can figure
>> out whether it's another program you run that makes it reinstall.
>> The other program might be reinstalling something too, only doing it
>> so fast you don't notice it. Win98 and winXP with Word98 and XP
>> operated exactly like that when both were installed. And yet they
>> could both run simulatneiously - go figger!
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Twayne
>>

>> .

Oof, that's a long time to have to wait!  Looks like Jay has a good response
for you though. It'll stop them from stepping on each other.

Twayne

0
Reply Twayne 1/21/2010 5:38:18 PM

(page loaded in 0.063 seconds)