Word 2007: how to save to original folder?

How do I force Word 2007 to default to saving files to the folder containing
the file I opened? Clearing the "default folder" in the options doesn't do it
(at least not with "Save As" when the target is a thumb drive).

We generally strongly recommend against saving to (or opening from) any type
of removable drive or media. Much safer to save/copy to the HD and then
copy/open from there.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"MacAndrewSC" <MacAndrewSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I force Word 2007 to default to saving files to the folder
> containing
> the file I opened? Clearing the "default folder" in the options doesn't do
> it
> (at least not with "Save As" when the target is a thumb drive).

0
Suzanne
1/30/2010 7:38:12 PM
You should never save to removable media - see
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm for a workaround.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"MacAndrewSC" <MacAndrewSC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I force Word 2007 to default to saving files to the folder
> containing
> the file I opened? Clearing the "default folder" in the options doesn't do
> it
> (at least not with "Save As" when the target is a thumb drive).

0
Graham

Formatting Lost in Excel 2007
Good afternoon, I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully someone out there will have an answer. We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005 that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no f...

Printing WORD docs from a form

where is that save data feature for backup?
Hi All, On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for my life I can not remember where it was. :'[ Many thanks, -T ToddAndMargo (ToddAndMargo@invalid.com) writes: > On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data > to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this > on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for > my life I can not remember where it ...

Outlook 2003, corrupt DRAFTS folder
Somehow Ive managed to corrupt the DRAFTS folder. When I attempt to open it, I get the following message: Unable to display the folder. When I try to view the properties I get this message: DRAFTS PROPERTIES - ADMINISTRATION Views assoicated with this folder could not be retrieved. I have tried to detect and repair, uninstall and reinstall, recreate my profile, even registry hacks to try to kill the folder. None of which have worked. Anyone have any ideas? Close Outlook Select Start | Run Enter outlook.exe /ResetFolders (note the space between ".exe" and "/ResetFolder...

Repost: "Save target as..." option
When I used to use Outlook Express, I could right click on links (to PDFs, pix, etc) in message bodies and select the option "Save target as...". This option doesn't appear to be available for links in emails in Outlook 2003, and I'd be grateful for advice on whether this is a feature of Outlook, or a setting I need to change in the options somewhere. TIA It is a setting in the OS and not Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without ...

Money 2007 Premium Application Error
Hi, I started getting an application error while in Money and now can't get into it at all. I get error message unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at 0x7813e792. I've uninstalled the application then reinstalled it using the CD an I get the error message. It occurs after entering my passowrd when the Home page is displayed. Any thoughts? -- John ...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

Outlook 2007 Export w/ Date
We have a need to print a list of e-mails from Outlook 2007, so we can make comments on each of them. The export seemed to be a perfect fit for this, because we could bring it into Excel, and type our notes. However the export does not include the date field. That's crazy. That's one of the main pieces. Is there any way at all to export this data and include the dates? Thanks, Jesse http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/copy_data.htm - if you need the message body, add the message field to the view and copy and paste. Note that it works best if don't need the body - or at...

Where are my saved word?

Does Office 2003 Pro Excel have auto-save?
I am trying to set up Auto save in Excel 2003 Pro. I found auto recovery but that is not what I am looking for. I think it may be an add-in. Thanks! ehop, From a previous post by Dave Peterson: If you're running xl2k or earlier, install the autosave addin via windows|Start button|settings|control panel|Add or remove programs If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin from an earlier version, it should work ok. But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as autosave, but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows c...

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available
Folks: The latest DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=775e1a23-825f-450a-9d71-6b8c951ea748. The KB page is available http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979970 -- Thanks Praveen T [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights ...

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

MS Pub 2007
I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HTML fragments. I am attempting to insert the javascript from aWeber where a person can subscribe to my newsletter off my website (created with Pub). How can I set up a "submit" button in my publication with the script? Thanks for your help. Gary Inserted HTML code fragments will not work in an email message from Publisher. Sorry. DavidF "geedc" <geedc1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:aff5f787-ccfe-423e-b392-66227f87c16d@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HT...

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Outlook 2003
Hello, I can create "search folder" in Outlook 2003, where will be show only messages, that I not reply to message.(NOT UNREAD!, but UNREPLY) Thanks you for help. -- MAd #ICQ: 247356388 No way that I know of... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.on...

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Archiving a personal folder
I have an end-user who has a personal folder that he wants to Archive. I explained to him that both folders are PST files; but what he wants to do is archive everything out of his one personal folder that is dated prior to 2005. He has over 30 folders inside of the PST. In order to auto-archive, I have to set the archive settings for each folder within the PST. I cannot set it at the root of the PST. Is there a quicker way to do this? Or can you recommend another solution for my eu? He is using Outlook 2002 and Windows XP. Thanks, Christina ...

Mail Folders
I really need to copy my mail folders onto my hard drive or a disk. How can I do this? If it's in a PST file you can just shutdown Outlook and copy the files with copy or xcopy. We do this all the time to make simple backups of the file or to move from one machine to another. -- Herb Martin "Mary Ann" <MaryAnn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AB20749-929A-42AE-912A-A04FA21F4853@microsoft.com... > I really need to copy my mail folders onto my hard drive or a disk. How can I > do this? ...

Outlook 2007 problems 03-08-10
Hello guys, When I run Outlook, the first thing I see is Outlook Today, which is good. But I cannot see my calendar entries on it. I have my work schedule, birthdays, public holidays all in separate calendars in outlook, but none of them show up on outlook today at all, I've search the net but cannot seem to find the answer help please... Are they all in subfolders of the default calendar or do you have anything IN the default calendar folder? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/out...