Word 2007: automatic numbering has disappeared - but was there bef

  • Follow

HI

I am working on a Word document created by someone else where the automatic
numbering, which was there originally when I first opened it several weeks
ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using Word
2007 if that makes any difference.

As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and linked
by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...", this
now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".

Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The paragraphs
are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering has just
gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of but
would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

0
Reply Utf 4/14/2010 1:10:08 PM

Note that any kind of numbering (paragraph/outline numbering, footnotes,
fields) may be incorrect in a document where Track Changes is enabled. It
should straighten itself out as soon as you accept the changes.

But numbering shouldn't disappear completely from the headings. Make sure
that "Automatically update document styles" is cleared in the Templates and
Add-Ins dialog box, and then reapply the numbering.

To open the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, first display the Developer
tab (Office button | Word Options, Popular category: "Show Developer tab in
the Ribbon"). Then click the Document Template button on that tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"andrea230278" <andrea230278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI
>
> I am working on a Word document created by someone else where the
> automatic
> numbering, which was there originally when I first opened it several weeks
> ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using Word
> 2007 if that makes any difference.
>
> As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and
> linked
> by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
> referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...", this
> now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".
>
> Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The paragraphs
> are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering has
> just
> gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of but
> would really appreciate any advice.
>
> Thanks

0
Reply Stefan 4/14/2010 1:45:54 PM

Thank you very much for your help but I have now discovered that this probelm
relates to ALL documents that contain automatic numbering which were created
in an earlier version of Word and then now opened in Word 2007, not just the
doc I have posted about before - the fact that I was track changing the
original document now seems of no relevance as it is occuring in non-track
changed docs.

The primary numbered headings are still there, i.e 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, - what
has disapeared is the sub-paragraph numbering in between the primary headings
, i.e, 2.1, 2.1, 2.3 etc. - but the paragraphs are indented as if the numbers
should be there.

Is there any kind of conflict between older and newer versions of Word that
you or anyone else may know of where automatic numbering is concerned? It is
drivingme nuts and I would need to find a solution!

Thanks again, in advance

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> Note that any kind of numbering (paragraph/outline numbering, footnotes,
> fields) may be incorrect in a document where Track Changes is enabled. It
> should straighten itself out as soon as you accept the changes.
>
> But numbering shouldn't disappear completely from the headings. Make sure
> that "Automatically update document styles" is cleared in the Templates and
> Add-Ins dialog box, and then reapply the numbering.
>
> To open the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, first display the Developer
> tab (Office button | Word Options, Popular category: "Show Developer tab in
> the Ribbon"). Then click the Document Template button on that tab.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "andrea230278" <andrea230278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HI
> >
> > I am working on a Word document created by someone else where the
> > automatic
> > numbering, which was there originally when I first opened it several weeks
> > ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using Word
> > 2007 if that makes any difference.
> >
> > As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and
> > linked
> > by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
> > referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...", this
> > now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".
> >
> > Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The paragraphs
> > are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering has
> > just
> > gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of but
> > would really appreciate any advice.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> .

0
Reply Utf 4/16/2010 10:52:01 AM

Well, document corruption comes to mind, but since the issue affects many
documents, corruption is unlikely to be the cause.

Are you saying that the problem is with level 2 numbering only? Can you fix
the numbering by editing it in the multilevel list dialog?

Also, have you tried printing the document (in case it's a display issue)?

--

> [...]
>> > weeks
>> > ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using
>> > Word
>> > 2007 if that makes any difference.
>> >
>> > As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and
>> > linked
>> > by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
>> > referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...",
>> > this
>> > now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The
>> > paragraphs
>> > are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering
>> > has
>> > just
>> > gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of

0
Reply Stefan 4/16/2010 12:24:59 PM

(page loaded in 0.003 seconds)

Reply: