Word 2007: automatic numbering has disappeared - but was there bef

HI

I am working on a Word document created by someone else where the automatic
numbering, which was there originally when I first opened it several weeks
ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using Word
2007 if that makes any difference.

As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and linked
by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...", this
now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".

Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The paragraphs
are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering has just
gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of but
would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Note that any kind of numbering (paragraph/outline numbering, footnotes,
fields) may be incorrect in a document where Track Changes is enabled. It
should straighten itself out as soon as you accept the changes.

But numbering shouldn't disappear completely from the headings. Make sure
that "Automatically update document styles" is cleared in the Templates and
Add-Ins dialog box, and then reapply the numbering.

To open the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, first display the Developer
tab (Office button | Word Options, Popular category: "Show Developer tab in
the Ribbon"). Then click the Document Template button on that tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"andrea230278" <andrea230278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI
>
> I am working on a Word document created by someone else where the
> automatic
> numbering, which was there originally when I first opened it several weeks
> ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using Word
> 2007 if that makes any difference.
>
> As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and
> linked
> by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
> referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...", this
> now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".
>
> Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The paragraphs
> are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering has
> just
> gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of but
> would really appreciate any advice.
>
> Thanks

0
Stefan
4/14/2010 1:45:54 PM
Thank you very much for your help but I have now discovered that this probelm
relates to ALL documents that contain automatic numbering which were created
in an earlier version of Word and then now opened in Word 2007, not just the
doc I have posted about before - the fact that I was track changing the
original document now seems of no relevance as it is occuring in non-track
changed docs.

The primary numbered headings are still there, i.e 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, - what
has disapeared is the sub-paragraph numbering in between the primary headings
, i.e, 2.1, 2.1, 2.3 etc. - but the paragraphs are indented as if the numbers
should be there.

Is there any kind of conflict between older and newer versions of Word that
you or anyone else may know of where automatic numbering is concerned? It is
drivingme nuts and I would need to find a solution!

Thanks again, in advance

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> Note that any kind of numbering (paragraph/outline numbering, footnotes,
> fields) may be incorrect in a document where Track Changes is enabled. It
> should straighten itself out as soon as you accept the changes.
>
> But numbering shouldn't disappear completely from the headings. Make sure
> that "Automatically update document styles" is cleared in the Templates and
> Add-Ins dialog box, and then reapply the numbering.
>
> To open the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, first display the Developer
> tab (Office button | Word Options, Popular category: "Show Developer tab in
> the Ribbon"). Then click the Document Template button on that tab.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "andrea230278" <andrea230278@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HI
> >
> > I am working on a Word document created by someone else where the
> > automatic
> > numbering, which was there originally when I first opened it several weeks
> > ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using Word
> > 2007 if that makes any difference.
> >
> > As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and
> > linked
> > by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
> > referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...", this
> > now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".
> >
> > Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The paragraphs
> > are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering has
> > just
> > gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of but
> > would really appreciate any advice.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> .

Well, document corruption comes to mind, but since the issue affects many
documents, corruption is unlikely to be the cause.

Are you saying that the problem is with level 2 numbering only? Can you fix
the numbering by editing it in the multilevel list dialog?

Also, have you tried printing the document (in case it's a display issue)?

--

> [...]
>> > weeks
>> > ago while I was using Word 2000, has now disappeared: I am now using
>> > Word
>> > 2007 if that makes any difference.
>> >
>> > As the paragraph numbers are referred to throughout the document and
>> > linked
>> > by field, when I am track changing the document, where the paragraph is
>> > referred to in the document, for example " ... in paragraph 2.1 ...",
>> > this
>> > now appears as "0" instead of "2.1", ie. " ... in paragraph 0 ...".
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any help to make the numbering re-appear? The
>> > paragraphs
>> > are still alligned as if the numbering is there, but there numbering
>> > has
>> > just
>> > gone. Maybe it is something very simple that I just haven't thought of

0
Stefan

Formatting Lost in Excel 2007
Good afternoon, I've spent a lot of time googling but all I really came up with is that it may be due to links (which I have deleted) so hopefully someone out there will have an answer. We have a very large workbook that has been used since before 2005 that we have never had a problem with. Two months ago, we started using Excel 2007 but had no issues. In about mid-April when opening the file, all of the formatting is gone! So we assumed someone saved it as the wrong file so we copied an older version of the file and reformatted the entire thing. Saved it and reopened and no f...

Printing WORD docs from a form

SUMing small numbers
For simplicty say I have two cells with values 0.0000004499190595611849428288 and 0.0000004499190595611849428288. If I have a formula that adds the two cells (=A1 + A2) the value seems to be accurate. But if I use the 'SUM' function (=SUM(A1:A2)) I get a result of zero, exactly. I have tried formatting the result of the SUM with scientific notation just to see if the value is just too small but it is really zero. I should see the sum to be something like .0000009... but it is zero. This came up when I tried to SUM about 31,000 data values (all small like this) and the result cam...

Money 2007 Premium Application Error
Hi, I started getting an application error while in Money and now can't get into it at all. I get error message unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at 0x7813e792. I've uninstalled the application then reinstalled it using the CD an I get the error message. It occurs after entering my passowrd when the Home page is displayed. Any thoughts? -- John ...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

"Magnify" on-screen phone number?
I'm using OL 2003, I look up a phone number from a contact, then turn to the phone, which is on the desk behind me, and halfway thru dialing I inevitably have to turn back to the computer to see the rest of the phone number. Is there some 3rd party app that will magnify the phone number (or any portion of the screen) so it's easier to read from a few feet away? Never mind, I found it. 3rd party, hell, it's part of XP. "T. Wise" <terwise@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23X3Eh%23MmGHA.1912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I'm using OL 2003, I look up a ...

how to summarize total number of appearance in a column?
Can you tell me how to summarize total number of appearance in a column? For example, I have a column with three names appear at different rows another column with value to the names: John 45 Mary 15 John 33 Rick 10 Rick 11 Mary 31 Mary 22 John 0 How can I summarize: Number of times John appears (3 times), and the total number in John's row (45+33+0=78). Thank you. =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"John") =SUMIF(A1:A10,"John",B1:B10) if you replace "John" with a cell like C1 you ca...

Outlook 2007 Export w/ Date
We have a need to print a list of e-mails from Outlook 2007, so we can make comments on each of them. The export seemed to be a perfect fit for this, because we could bring it into Excel, and type our notes. However the export does not include the date field. That's crazy. That's one of the main pieces. Is there any way at all to export this data and include the dates? Thanks, Jesse http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/copy_data.htm - if you need the message body, add the message field to the view and copy and paste. Note that it works best if don't need the body - or at...

Where are my saved word?

Automatically send out of office reply based on "show time as" sta
Can you set Outlook 2007 to automatically send out of office replies if you have appointments that show your time as "Out of Office"? "CaroleCarlo" <CaroleCarlo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5168334-0586-44E9-90C9-EFDE0F55F959@microsoft.com... > Can you set Outlook 2007 to automatically send out of office replies if you > have appointments that show your time as "Out of Office"? If you're using Exchange 2007 as the backend, you can specify start and end times for when the OO messages will be sent, but it isn't...

Page Numbers #15
Publisher 2007 Is there a field for the number of pages? eg Page x of y, where y is the total number of pages. I have found the current page number field (#), but not the total. Go to the Master Page, manually type of x pages after the #. Publisher doesn't count, it will be up to you to type the number of pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "ZootRot" <SendMeAsMuchSpamAsPossibleBecauseILoveReceivingSpam@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:e4sBAF2sJHA.4876@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Publisher 2007 > > Is there a field for the number of pages? eg Pag...

message disappears too fast; how can I see it?
Outlook 2002, SP3. I've noticed when I exit the program, as it is closing, it puts up a rectangular message box (after the main window has closed), then closes it immediately. It takes just a fraction of a second, just long enough for me to see there's something there, but not long enough to see what! If you have any idea what this could be, or how I could slow it down so I could see it, let me know. The program seems to operate correctly in every other respect, I just don't know what that blazing fast message box is trying to say. thx, Randy Randy Nevin wrote: > Out...

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

How do I make my ERDs more automatic?
Hello all, I am currently working on finding a way to automize VISIO. What I mean by this is that I want to find a way to create some sort of database that is connected to more than one Entity Relationship Diagram and, when I make a change on an object on the database, I want that change to be reflected in all ERDs that contain that particular object. These changes would be things such as font, color, relations to other objects, etc. Is there any way to do this? I only have basic computer skills so I need simple explanations. Thank you ------=_NextPart_0001_007299F6 Content-Type: te...

Code disappeared
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CAD8D6.7BD1ABE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have a database the worked yesterday and today all the code has disappeared. Somehow the reference to the Office 12 Access Database Engine disappeared (along with references to 2 add-ins)) and there is no code in the VBA editor window. Does anyone have any ideas as to why/how this happens. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CAD8D6.7BD1ABE0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Content-Tran...

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available
Folks: The latest DPM 2007 Rollup KB 979970 is now available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=775e1a23-825f-450a-9d71-6b8c951ea748. The KB page is available http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979970 -- Thanks Praveen T [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights ...

MS Pub 2007
I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HTML fragments. I am attempting to insert the javascript from aWeber where a person can subscribe to my newsletter off my website (created with Pub). How can I set up a "submit" button in my publication with the script? Thanks for your help. Gary Inserted HTML code fragments will not work in an email message from Publisher. Sorry. DavidF "geedc" <geedc1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:aff5f787-ccfe-423e-b392-66227f87c16d@r15g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > I'm using MS Pub 2007 and have a question about HT...

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7