what does the outline tool icon look like and how do I find it?

I have spent hours trying to do a table of contents following the 2003 Word
directions.  No luck.  Can anyone give me step-by-step directions.  Every
time I hit the ok in the table of contents box, it comes back "can't find
...."  Now what?  I can't find the outline icon on my toolbar.  What does it
look like?  I am a novice, so please bear with me.

See http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html for instructions you
can follow.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Professor M" <Professor M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have spent hours trying to do a table of contents following the 2003 Word
> directions.  No luck.  Can anyone give me step-by-step directions.  Every
> time I hit the ok in the table of contents box, it comes back "can't find
> ..."  Now what?  I can't find the outline icon on my toolbar.  What does
> it
> look like?  I am a novice, so please bear with me.

0
Suzanne

Outlining
We are trying to import an outline, usually two levels, with an occasional third. The original is either WordPerfect X3 or MSWord 2003. These two program produce outlines differently. WPX3 is superior by the way. But I digress. We want to bring that outline into Publisher 2007. We get the text but no numbers. We used Publisher 2000 and got the numbers until we updated to WPX3 and Word 2003. Once we made those changes no numbers. I have tried to import text. I have tried copy text. And I have tried creating an outline from scratch and cannot get two level outlines. Is such a...

C++ Refactoring tool
Hi, does anyone know of a good C++ refactoring tool? (apparently Visual Studio 2005 contains refactoring functionality for C#, but not for C++). Thanks. http://www.ideat-solutions.com/refpp/ http://www.slickedit.com/ https://sourceforge.net/projects/cpptool/ -- --------------------------------------------------- Automate your software builds with Visual Build Pro http://www.visualbuild.com/ "Patje" <forumpvc@ompartners.com> wrote in message news:1135951759.131382.74280@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > does anyone know of a good C++ refactoring tool? > (ap...

Selecting ICONS for Macros in Excel 2007
Once you have customized the QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR by adding icons to run various macros, is there a way that you can replace the icb=ons with your own icons? If yes! How? Thanks Hi, Have a read of Ron de Bruin's page on the subject. http://www.rondebruin.nl/imageqat.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4487FAB6-A626-4F94-A1B6-2BDE646CC214@microsoft.com... > Once you have customized the QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR by adding icons to run > various macros, is there a ...

I am missing view tool bar from tool menu.
Try using Tools>Customize... select the 'worksheet menu bar' and press 'reset' -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "excel" <excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2063A32-A143-443B-8DCD-7F66A3ED666C@microsoft.com... > ...

Outline
I have a sheet with NO calculations. I would like to manually outline (I am new at this feature) so repetitive data collapses. Let's say my data looks like this: Acme Co. North Acme Co. North Acme Co. South Badge Corp. Badge Corp. Chicago Loop Chicago Loop I want it to collapse to show only unique names, like below. +Acme Co. North Acme Co. South +Badge Corp. +Chicago Loop When I manually outline each group, they all combine to one big group. Any hints? How about using the subtotal feature from the data menu? Just select "count" of "co. name" or whatever. >...

can i find out what cells are linking to other workbooks? #2
that did the trick, thanks a lot Frank, and i would reccommend this file to anyone else -- ForSal ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ForSale's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1189 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27261 ...

Outlines of Pie Charts
I am working with pie charts in Excel and cannot seem to get the line/edge of the pie smooth. The line looks wavy - is there any way that I can get this to look smooth? ...

Outlook as a sales tool
I would like to use Outlook on desktops and pocket pcs to track sales enquiries, sales leads, diaries, orders and all of the functions of a sales office. I would prefer to use Outlook in stead of ACT! or Goldmine and I wondered if anyone knew whether Outlook has the full functionality that I'd need; whether anyone knew any companies using Outlook for this purpose, and whether there were any consultants or agents who could discuss this with me. Thanks Did you check out Outlook 2003 with BCM already? http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/contactmanager/prodinfo/default.mspx --...

Outline format disappeared
I am no longer getting the hierarchical tree structure of messages on this forum. They are all listed one after another in date order. Can anyone suggest how to get it back? "Nicholas Geti" <ngeti@optonline.net> wrote in message news:4ba0e9dc$0$22518$607ed4bc@cv.net... >I am no longer getting the hierarchical tree structure of messages on this >forum. They are all listed one after another in date order. Can anyone >suggest how to get it back? > It would have made things a lot easier if you had told us how you're accessing this newsgroup...

Email messages and pics are outlined and in box form
How do I change my Email Messages that I receive that appear outlined in box form? They are inside a box and it is a mess. Thanks debull@gmail.com You haven't provided any details. Any answers you get at this point will simply be guesses. Please advise the following: Version of Outlook Type of mail account Default format O/S Any error messages? What do they say? Has it always been like this, or is this new? Does this behaviour continue if you open Outlook in safe mode? If you use Vista or Windows 7 follow this instruction: Start > Start Search > outlook.exe /safe...

HowTo? Add icon to TitleBar next to Min-Max-Restore-Close buttons?
Can an icon be added to an SDI's TitleBar? If so, how is this done, and how should its handler be implemented? My understanding is that the "What's This ?-Mark" icon is mutually exclusive with having the Min-Max-Restore-Close buttons in the TitleBar. We've got WinHelp context-sensitive-help (CSH) implemented for our app. We prefer WinHelp CSH over HtmlHelp CSH. Previously, we just had the "What's This ?-Mark" button on the right side of the TitleBar (along with the Close button), but that was confusing for end-users. We got support quetions about &qu...

Create an outline
Hi, I try to create an group & outline and I expecting some little problems. 1) I select 5 rows before a subtotal 2) I select Data, Group and outline, Group 3) At the left, I see the - 4) I clik on the - and the pop up appear - CANNOT SHIFT OBJECTS OFF SHEET- What I'm doing wrong with this? Thank for your help Hepta TIME, is, the greatest thief of the world...... begin 666 Hepta.vcf M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..DAE<'1A#0I&3CI(97!T80T* M3DE#2TY!344Z2&5P=&$-"E)%5CHR,# T,#0Q,U0Q.# R,39:#0I%3D0Z5D-! $4D0-"@`` ` end I could do it ok i...

Outlook 2007 message icon will not change from closed (unread) to
I have an Outlook user where the icon in the inbox message section gets an incoming new email, the text is bold, and the icon envelope is closed. She is using the reading pane, and clicks in the message in the reading pane, then clicks away to the next message, the envelope icon does not change from closed (unread) to open (read).. the text does not go from bold to unbold. It is really weird .. and started after last month's updates... any suggestions on what could be causing this? thanks. go to tools, options, other tab, read pane. Is she using the option to mark rea...

Changing icon for list item
Hi all, I would like to change the icon for the first column of the list control in report view. Right now, the method I used is remove the LVITEM at that location and reinsert at the exact same place with a different icon. I know this is not efficient compared to directly changing the icon. I had tried GetItem adn SetItem but even though i specified a different icon using the index into the imagelist, it still won't change. Could someone please enblighten me on this? thank you very much. Hallo Lonewolf! > I would like to change the icon for the first column of the list &...

Interactive Outlines
I am searching for an application -- either Word or another -- that allows for collapsible headings inside an outline. I have seen this functionality often on web pages, where an arrow to the left of a heading is clickable and this click results in either displaying or hiding the sub-section contents. There is no particular function that will achieve this in a Word document, but you could use a macrobutton to toggle what is displayed. The principle is essentially that used to display a checked/unchecked box using macrobuttons and autotext - see http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutto...

Stan would like to meet someone
Who Stan would like to meet: 1. A latex woman for life & business. Must be dumb and too ugly, please, hehe - they usually are one but not other; and if both then I am still too cheap for such high-class people. I don't make $200K/year, sorry. What I do make is around $8.76 an hour working fast food. 2. Men for casual business/work, engineering companies & government, and just mulling around garbage heaps. 3. Me from future, the past, and all time inbetween. 4. Deadlines. If a deadline is about to be deadlined, then the deadline must be moved so the deadline won'...

Populate data in cell by looking at another cells data
Hi Everyone, Hope I find you well. I'm not even sure how to go about this, so I hope that someone can shed some light. I have a serial number in one cell eg '80199DD270238' where 'DD' is code for another value, in this case 'DD' = 'BLUE'. How can I automatically populate a cell with the value 'BLUE' by looking at the serial number. Many thanks for any help you can provide. Best Regards Gazza Hi if the characters are alsways at the same place use =IF(MID(A1,6,2)="DD","Blue","other color") if they could be at ...

Toggle between Outline View and non-Outline View
Hello, In the next version of MS Word, please create an easy way to toggle between Outline View and a regular numbered or bulleted outline in Print View or Normal View. Many people do not use Outline View and become frustrated when they receive a Word document prepared in that view. They are faced with either losing the outline structure including the level insets (if the doc is converted to a non-Outline view) or staying in Outline View and being frustrated with the navigation. Many of these people however are very comfortable using a numbered or bulleted outline created ...

How to prevent focus outlining on buttons
Hello, I would like to ask if there is a way to suppress the dotted lines on a button when it gets or got pressed. I tried to move the focus to another object in the event handler routine but that is not very satisfying. Any other ways? (The application is for a Win CE system using a touch screen so there is no keyboard to press a tab key or enter key) Thank you for any help Martin ...

How to find the most common numbers?
I have 300 number groups and each group has 22 different numbers (from 1 to 80). I want to find 5 (or more) numbers that occur together the most. Can I find these numbers by excel, macro, VBA or any program? for example, let us suppose that 4-15-23-36-45 are the most common numbers and these numbers are in 8 groups from 300. Is it possible , I added my file to explain my question in detail, Thanks +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: find common numbers1.zip | |Download: http://www.officefrustration.com/attach...

this should be a piece of cake but it's like eating rock
Imagine yourself in “advanced find” land, and your looking for al sub-accounts that are listed under a parent account. Simple isn’t it, select find PARENT ACCOUNT and than ACCOUNT equals Unique_account_name. Bam, and I have all the sub-accounts I need. But… I want to add something to my search: I’m not only looking for sub-accounts listed to a parent account but also to account who have a relationship with that parent account. SinceI can not link an account to more than 1 parent account I’m using relations (If you are now nodding your head and saying “you stupid boy”, tell me the bette...

Icon change
I'm making a small Excel project. Is there a way to change the Excel icon on my project so the shortcut icon will be a little more personalized? Thanks Peter, Right click icon > Properties > Shortcut > Change icon would be a start Rob "Peter" <grouchyfd@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:052101c3d729$314e4570$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I'm making a small Excel project. Is there a way to > change the Excel icon on my project so the shortcut icon > will be a little more personalized? > > Thanks You posted to more than one newsgroup. I think...

Tool Bar Won't Go Away
The "Microsoft Office Live Add-In" tool bar will not go away. I uncheck the box and that seems to work, however, when I close Excel and open it again, the Tool Bar is displayed again. This happens on all Office products, not just Excel. There must be a Registry Hack to avoid this. Thanks I resolved this when I went to Office 2007. "JCO" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:e9HGre5wJHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > The "Microsoft Office Live Add-In" tool bar will not go away. I uncheck > the box and that seems to work, however, wh...

Excel 97 Tools/Options
Excel 97 loaded on new pc as part of Office 97. When try to use Tools/Options, get error message "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close" 2 users on pc - user with no Excel files doesn't have the problem. Hi, This is a known bug in XL97: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;108032 (url all on one line!) Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel TA/MVP >-----Original Message----- >Excel 97 loaded on new pc as part of Office 97. When try >to use Tools/Options, get error message "Microsoft Excel >has encountered a pro...

Cell outline
When I set some cells with a `thicker` outline or have a cell colour and then move (drag) the contents of the cell, the outline and cell colour moves with it. Is there a way to `lock` the outline and fill colour to that particular cell so it is only the typed contents that move. thanks -- http://www.freewebs.com/turkeyrent/ You could rightclick and drag and then copy as values. But then you'd have to go back to the original cell and clear the contents. And since you're doing a copy, any formulas that refer to the original cell will still refer to the original cell. Copy an...