My spell check isn't finding misspelled words. What do I do?

It seems like the spell check feature is turned off.  How do I get it to
work?  Why did it suddenly stop spell-checking?

Check to make sure it is turned on. Go to Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar
tab,
and under Spelling make sure the options you want are checked. Click okay.
If it doesn't activate right away, close and reopen your document.

"injurylawyer" wrote:

> It seems like the spell check feature is turned off.  How do I get it to
> work?  Why did it suddenly stop spell-checking?
The two most common reasons (that I've seen) are that (1) the language of a
section is set to "Do not check," or (2) somebody who was in the document
before you has run the spell checker and has marked those words as correct.
That means that you need to either uncheck the "Do not check" box under your
language tools, or you need to click the "Recheck Document" button under your
spelling and grammar settings.

The way to change those things varies on which version of Word you're using.

Jerry

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"injurylawyer" <injurylawyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It seems like the spell check feature is turned off.  How do I get it to
> work?  Why did it suddenly stop spell-checking?

0
Suzanne

"Rule Could not be Created, check your folder permissions"
Outlook 2002, WinXP Pro.. tried adding work's exchange server but couldn't access it through the internet. Removed the Exchange account from Tools->Email Accounts, and now cannot create message rules with the "Organize" button on the toolbar. Any way to restore the permissions? Try running Detect and Repair. Also, ask your Exchange admin for the protocol to access your Exchange server mail. He will probably have to set you up with a VPN connector and give you some instructions. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discuss...

Formula in word 2003
create a formula in a word form. I have a situation where I ned to provide an auto response based on the number d in a bokmarked cell "Risk1" I have tried the following but it brings up an error {if { risk1 } <="4""YES"}{if {risk1}>"4"<"10""Stop"}{if{risk1}>"9"<"17""Report"} The basic requirement is to provide a different response based on a number value in form field bookmark "Risk1" which can range between 1-4, 5-9, 10-16 and 17-25 each of the above ranges need a...

spelling script
Hi Guys, I'm trying to write a small spelling script that will do the following: Read a word from a text file: show it to the user then needs to type it without any spelling mistake if OK, he gets the next word in the text file if not than he needs to type the word again until he gets it right. Can any one help me with this ? Cheers, Simon "Type each word as it appears then hit enter. Type quit to exit." foreach ($word in (get-content words.txt)) { $correct = $false do { $answer = Read-Host $word if ($answer -ceq $word) {$correct = $true} if ($answer -eq &...

A how to, just can't find the answer anywhere! Please help me!!
Okat, a spreadsheet with two tabs. Let's say tab one has | UID | DOB | NOSE SIZE | (for example), tab 2 has |UID| No of Ears | Nose hair | I would like to take duplicates where UID is the same out of tabs 1 and 2 and put into a new tab with | UID | DOB | No of ears | Nose hair | so third tab has all people from tab one and two which exist in both and a cross section of information from tab 1 and 2. Have I confused anyone?!? Thank you all because you're bound to be much cleverer than I is. You should be abole to adapt this Public Sub ProcessData() Const COL_TAB1_UID As String...

Where do I find these "special papers?"
Some of the design sets in Publisher call for "special papers", ie green marble & acropolis. How do I find these papers? They are from PaperDirect. You buy the paper with that design printed on them - you don't print it. http://www.paperdirect.com/ -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Susan" <Susan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EBF697C-D980-4886-AE56-2642D7BB3247@microsoft.com... > Some of the design sets in Publisher call for "special papers", ie green > marble & acropolis. How do I find these papers?...

Spell Check preferences?
Hi all, I have a user that is having problems with spell checking in Office 2004. When I set office up I did a full install with proofing tools, etc. The user is running OS 10.4.1. Here is the problem: spell checking never works unless he manually sets it up (he has to got through the tools->language & uncheck "do not check spelling or grammar..") routine for every single document he creates. My question is: Is there a way to set this to default for all documents? Thanks, burn01 jacobbehrnes@gmail.com I'm guessing you're talking about Word here. In Word, go to F...

Spell check anomaly
When I REPLY to a message, WLM always checks the spelling on the original message even though I have selected the option to ignore the original text in a reply. What gives? Is that a bug in WLM? Tom If you save a message to Drafts or an EML file or open while in the Outbox, that will happen since it lost track of what was original and what was new. Or is this happening when you just start a new reply? If so are you interspersing your reply with the original message? Or using stationery? -- Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us "Tom Brown" <Bu...

spell check #9
The spell check is not working. I click on it an nothing happens. No errors messages. I don't know how to set it up , if that is what needs to be done. Teri wrote: > The spell check is not working. I click on it an nothing > happens. No errors messages. I don't know how to set it > up , if that is what needs to be done. And what version of Outlook are you running? ...

Finding/Removing Duplicate Numbers In A Column ?
Hi, I have a long list of numbers in a column. How would I determine if there are duplicates, and "flag" them ? How would I remove all the duplicates in a single, perhaps, step ? Thanks, B. See http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm In article <36idnf4-o6alGPTYnZ2dnUVZ_rydnZ2d@comcast.com>, "Robert11" <rgsros@notme.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a long list of numbers in a column. > > How would I determine if there are duplicates, and "flag" them ? > > How would I remove all the duplicates in a single, perhaps, ste...

How do you open PDF files with Word 2007?
I must figure out how to open PDF files in Word 2007. I am taking on line classes and work is shared in PDF format. I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop that came loaded with Windows 7. I have had it a week and need help. I tried to download the Microsoft PDF add on, but it did not work. I can only read code when I open incoming PDF files. The default program is listed as Word. What am I doing wrong? You don't. You need a PDF reader, the most common being Adobe Acrobat Reader which you can download for free. It is huge and has some clever tools, but if you only want to read th...

Outlook/Word Email Editor Reply error
When using Word as your email editor I receive a message stating "Title: Microsoft Office Outlook (Message: Microsoft Word is set to be your e-mail editor. However, Word is unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as Outlook. The Outlook e-mail editor will be used instead) I was running a beta version of Office prior to this and that's the only thing i can recall. I have since then done a total uninstall of any office component and a full reinstall to see that the problem still exists. I've tried reregistering word with a winword /r. I've tried r...

wanting to add boxes that can be checked
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am wanting to add boxes that can be checked or unchecked. <br> Any suggestions? Thank you It's a Field named "Checkbox". Try Insert>HTML Object>Checkbox... Or: View>Toolbars>Forms and use the Forms checkbox. The HTML one looks nicer :-) Cheers On 29/05/10 1:54 AM, in article 59bb91c1.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "The_Bean@officeformac.com" <The_Bean@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) P...

i couldn't open my excel files,it gives location couldn't find err
Hi, i am trying to open my excel files but it gives me the following error: "If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files on the file menu,make sure that the file has not been renamed,moved of deleted." But if i renamed the same file to some other name then it works.so please tell me how can i fix this problem. Thanks & Regards, Hozefa How are you trying to open the file? Are you double clicking on it in windows explorer? Or are you using File|Open and choosing the file? Or are you using File, then clicking on one of the files at ...

Find and Replace #5
Hi All, Happy New Year to everyone!!! Hey, I have a question: i have a spreadsheet in which several cells in one row have the sameinformation, let's say letter "N", as non-paid. the columnsare dates. And also i have columns with "StartDate" and "EndDate". like for example, an employee has "N" (non-paid) days from 9/1/08 through 9/15/08, but after the research the first 2 days are paid. so i need to change the first "N" days to "0". How do i make excel to do that operation for me? Thanks in advance. Hi, Select all the cell...

spell checker is not finding spelling errors, any suggestions?
Spell checker finds no spelling errors and tells me that it has completed its review. Yet, I have deliberately mis-spelled words in order to test the spell checker, and it is not finding these mis-spelled words. I am thinking that spell checker is not being pointed to the right dictionary, or any dictionary, but I can't seem to troubleshoot this on my own. Any suggestions? Spellbound wrote: > Spell checker finds no spelling errors and tells me that it has > completed its review. Yet, I have deliberately mis-spelled words in > order to test the spell checker, and it is not...

finding readability statistics in Word 2007
How do you get the readability statistics information to display in Word 2007? I think I have it enabled by using the Microsoft Office button/word options/proofing/check gramar with spelling is selected/and show readability statistics is checked, but when I hit the "okay" button, nothing shows up). As in all other versions of Word, after you enable the statistics in the Options dialog, they'll show up only at the end of a manual spell-check that you start by pressing F7. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot ...

predictive spelling
Does anyone know of a predictive spelling add- in for Excel 2000 or later? Other than the built in one, that is. I'd like something which refers to a separate worksheet that I can specify. TIA Greg Little ...

Spelling in Outlook
I run XP Pro SP1, IE 6.0 and its Outlook Express. I also run MS Office 97 Patch 2b with English and Brazilian dictionaries. Winword works fine with both dics. After write a message in OE and when trying to get it spelled, get foll box : "An error occured while the spelling was been checked". Does this happen with someone before ? Can anyone help me in find the solution for this problem ? Appreciate assistance ...

Word figure
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a copy of a Word document sent to me in an email attachment. Looking at it from there (clicking the Word icon in Mail and opening Word that way), the figures look fine on the document. I saved a copy of the document to my iDisk and when I just opened it, some of the figures are not showing, and instead there is a big red X in the figure box. I have never encountered a situation where a Word document sent from a Mac to a Mac had problems with a figure like this. <br><br>Any advice? <b...

Please Help! Spanish has hijacked my Word 2007 spell checker!
I have saved (repeatedly in existing and new blank documents) all my settings to English, US. However, my spell checker is marking everything in red. When I look at it, the spell check suggests spanish spelling of the words. The spell checker says Spanish, US. I go back, all setting say English. Default language is set to English. I don't know what else to try. Make sure to turn off the "Detect language automatically" option in Review tab | Set Language. Note that once the language has changed in a document, you may have to select the whole document and manu...

How do I attach an excel document to a word one for mail merge?
I am currently trying to set up a letter which I will be mailing out to numerous people on a regular basis. I have an excel sheet - database - set up with all required information. I am able to do a mail merge, but for this instance I would like to attache the excel sheet to the word document so that I don't have to insert the data each time I am sending the letter. Please, please can anyone help???? Ruth, This is indeed possible, my colleague did it once.. However I do not know how. but maybe you can find your answer on the Word discussion group or the Word help.... -- Jeroen ...

Multiple e-mails on 2 computers(corrected spelling)
My wife's windows ME/Outlook 2000 pc suddenly began getting 2 of each e-mail several months ago. She has Norton AV on the computer but it had been working fine with the computer. She didn't renew the subscription for updates this go around since she was getting a new Dell. I can't say the multiple e-mails started when the Norton subscription expired because I don't know the exact dates. But I guess it could be a possible cause? When I connected her new Dell XP home Outlook 2002 computer through the DlinkDI604 router we use in the house so they could both download the same ...

Where can I find symbols for telephone, fax, and email to insert .
Insert | Symbols... | Font = Wingdings Or, if you want clipart, search Google Images for a telephone, etc Regards Trevor "Bomar" <Bomar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FDCFCC6-2BD4-4C72-9793-89667F0B0F09@microsoft.com... > Take a look at: Font Tables as Rendered by your browser http://wwww.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/fonts.htm Webdings char(201) and Char(202) wingdings 2 char(39) and Char(55) Please include complete question in the text body, even if you have to copy and paste the entire content. Just so we know ...

Combining multiple documents in Word 2007 (track changes) 03-04-10
I have used tracked changes before and can compare two documents (original and 2nd document). Can anyone tell me how to compare multiple documents? I can only get the original and one document but not multiple documents. Thanks! Do you mean when the docs open 3 files side-by-side to compare? I didn't see where you can do that, try creating a folder with the author name, since it searches by author. "Beach Lover" wrote: > I have used tracked changes before and can compare two documents (original > and 2nd document). Can anyone tell me how to compare ...

How to print last page of checking?
I'm using Money 2004 Small Business. In a checking account, how do I print a certain date range? The only option is to print all or some select number of pages, which is useless since you have no idea which page you are on. Thanks, Brett Try a customized transactions by account report. "brett" <account@cygen.com> wrote in message news:1135959824.960676.265200@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm using Money 2004 Small Business. In a checking account, how do I > print a certain date range? The only option is to print all or some > select number of page...