How to stop Word from breaking words across lines?

  • Follow

I'm using "Betsy" (a cursive font) in a custom-sized Word 2003 document.
Unlike typical documents where lines break between words, the lines in this
document are breaking wherever the character length reaches the right margin
regardless of whether there's a space or not. Its not even adding hyphenation
marks between these word breaks. Consequently, words may have only 1 or 2
characters at the end of a line and the remainder on the next line, or most
of a word at the end of a line and the last 1-2 characters on the next line.

I want to keep all characters in a word together. Is there an option similar
to Widows and Orphans (for controlling paragraph breaks) that determines how
Word breaks words across lines?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Robert
0
Reply Utf 1/17/2010 9:48:01 PM

It would appear that your font is erroneously coded as "decorative" (like a
symbol font) and so is allowed to break anywhere. There may be no solution
but to use a different font (or manual line breaks).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Robert" <cool_groove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using "Betsy" (a cursive font) in a custom-sized Word 2003 document.
> Unlike typical documents where lines break between words, the lines in
> this
> document are breaking wherever the character length reaches the right
> margin
> regardless of whether there's a space or not. Its not even adding
> hyphenation
> marks between these word breaks. Consequently, words may have only 1 or 2
> characters at the end of a line and the remainder on the next line, or
> most
> of a word at the end of a line and the last 1-2 characters on the next
> line.
>
> I want to keep all characters in a word together. Is there an option
> similar
> to Widows and Orphans (for controlling paragraph breaks) that determines
> how
> Word breaks words across lines?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
> -Robert

0
Reply Suzanne 1/18/2010 12:55:03 AM

Yeah, I kinda figured something like that was at play. But, I wanted to check
to make sure. Fortunately, there are other cursive fonts I can use. BTW, is
there any way to correct the "miscoding" of the Betsy font to make it
function like a normal font?

-Robert

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> It would appear that your font is erroneously coded as "decorative" (like a
> symbol font) and so is allowed to break anywhere. There may be no solution
> but to use a different font (or manual line breaks).
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Robert" <cool_groove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using "Betsy" (a cursive font) in a custom-sized Word 2003 document.
> > Unlike typical documents where lines break between words, the lines in
> > this
> > document are breaking wherever the character length reaches the right
> > margin
> > regardless of whether there's a space or not. Its not even adding
> > hyphenation
> > marks between these word breaks. Consequently, words may have only 1 or 2
> > characters at the end of a line and the remainder on the next line, or
> > most
> > of a word at the end of a line and the last 1-2 characters on the next
> > line.
> >
> > I want to keep all characters in a word together. Is there an option
> > similar
> > to Widows and Orphans (for controlling paragraph breaks) that determines
> > how
> > Word breaks words across lines?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!
> > -Robert
> >

> .

0
Reply Utf 1/19/2010 5:25:01 PM

If you have a font editor such as Fontographer, presumably you can do it,
but I don't actually know anything about that.

--

> Yeah, I kinda figured something like that was at play. But, I wanted to
> check
> to make sure. Fortunately, there are other cursive fonts I can use. BTW,
> is
> there any way to correct the "miscoding" of the Betsy font to make it
> function like a normal font?
>
> -Robert
>

> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> It would appear that your font is erroneously coded as "decorative" (like
>> symbol font) and so is allowed to break anywhere. There may be no
>> solution
>> but to use a different font (or manual line breaks).
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Robert" <cool_groove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm using "Betsy" (a cursive font) in a custom-sized Word 2003
>> > document.
>> > Unlike typical documents where lines break between words, the lines in
>> > this
>> > document are breaking wherever the character length reaches the right
>> > margin
>> > regardless of whether there's a space or not. Its not even adding
>> > hyphenation
>> > marks between these word breaks. Consequently, words may have only 1 or
>> > 2
>> > characters at the end of a line and the remainder on the next line, or
>> > most
>> > of a word at the end of a line and the last 1-2 characters on the next
>> > line.
>> >
>> > I want to keep all characters in a word together. Is there an option
>> > similar
>> > to Widows and Orphans (for controlling paragraph breaks) that
>> > determines
>> > how
>> > Word breaks words across lines?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for your help!