How to stop Word from breaking words across lines?

I'm using "Betsy" (a cursive font) in a custom-sized Word 2003 document.
Unlike typical documents where lines break between words, the lines in this
document are breaking wherever the character length reaches the right margin
regardless of whether there's a space or not. Its not even adding hyphenation
marks between these word breaks. Consequently, words may have only 1 or 2
characters at the end of a line and the remainder on the next line, or most
of a word at the end of a line and the last 1-2 characters on the next line.

I want to keep all characters in a word together. Is there an option similar
to Widows and Orphans (for controlling paragraph breaks) that determines how
Word breaks words across lines?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Robert

It would appear that your font is erroneously coded as "decorative" (like a
symbol font) and so is allowed to break anywhere. There may be no solution
but to use a different font (or manual line breaks).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Robert" <cool_groove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using "Betsy" (a cursive font) in a custom-sized Word 2003 document.
> Unlike typical documents where lines break between words, the lines in
> this
> document are breaking wherever the character length reaches the right
> margin
> regardless of whether there's a space or not. Its not even adding
> hyphenation
> marks between these word breaks. Consequently, words may have only 1 or 2
> characters at the end of a line and the remainder on the next line, or
> most
> of a word at the end of a line and the last 1-2 characters on the next
> line.
>
> I want to keep all characters in a word together. Is there an option
> similar
> to Widows and Orphans (for controlling paragraph breaks) that determines
> how
> Word breaks words across lines?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
> -Robert

0
Suzanne
1/18/2010 12:55:03 AM
Yeah, I kinda figured something like that was at play. But, I wanted to check
to make sure. Fortunately, there are other cursive fonts I can use. BTW, is
there any way to correct the "miscoding" of the Betsy font to make it
function like a normal font?

-Robert

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

> It would appear that your font is erroneously coded as "decorative" (like a
> symbol font) and so is allowed to break anywhere. There may be no solution
> but to use a different font (or manual line breaks).
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Robert" <cool_groove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using "Betsy" (a cursive font) in a custom-sized Word 2003 document.
> > Unlike typical documents where lines break between words, the lines in
> > this
> > document are breaking wherever the character length reaches the right
> > margin
> > regardless of whether there's a space or not. Its not even adding
> > hyphenation
> > marks between these word breaks. Consequently, words may have only 1 or 2
> > characters at the end of a line and the remainder on the next line, or
> > most
> > of a word at the end of a line and the last 1-2 characters on the next
> > line.
> >
> > I want to keep all characters in a word together. Is there an option
> > similar
> > to Widows and Orphans (for controlling paragraph breaks) that determines
> > how
> > Word breaks words across lines?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help!
> > -Robert
> >

> .

If you have a font editor such as Fontographer, presumably you can do it,
but I don't actually know anything about that.

--

> Yeah, I kinda figured something like that was at play. But, I wanted to
> check
> to make sure. Fortunately, there are other cursive fonts I can use. BTW,
> is
> there any way to correct the "miscoding" of the Betsy font to make it
> function like a normal font?
>
> -Robert
>

> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
>
>> It would appear that your font is erroneously coded as "decorative" (like
>> symbol font) and so is allowed to break anywhere. There may be no
>> solution
>> but to use a different font (or manual line breaks).
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USA
>> http://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Robert" <cool_groove@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm using "Betsy" (a cursive font) in a custom-sized Word 2003
>> > document.
>> > Unlike typical documents where lines break between words, the lines in
>> > this
>> > document are breaking wherever the character length reaches the right
>> > margin
>> > regardless of whether there's a space or not. Its not even adding
>> > hyphenation
>> > marks between these word breaks. Consequently, words may have only 1 or
>> > 2
>> > characters at the end of a line and the remainder on the next line, or
>> > most
>> > of a word at the end of a line and the last 1-2 characters on the next
>> > line.
>> >
>> > I want to keep all characters in a word together. Is there an option
>> > similar
>> > to Widows and Orphans (for controlling paragraph breaks) that
>> > determines
>> > how
>> > Word breaks words across lines?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for your help!
>> > -Robert
>> >

>> .

0
Suzanne

Word documents should contain an embedded dictionary
When I write documents with many proper names, I add the names to the custom dictionary to permit Word to spell check the names throughout the document. That said, I would rather not keep proper names in my custom dictionary where I keep what I consider to be "global" or cross document language additions like acronyms etc. Also, when coworkers view my document in Word on their machines, it flags the names as misspellings since my custom dictionary is stored on my machine (needless to say it's not real pleasant trying to share and manage a document and external cust...

changing the default for line connectors
I'm using the Flowcharting template and cannot figure out how to change the default line color to black and the connector type to straight connector. I can change individual lines once they've been made first by right clicking and changing to straight, and then to format/line/color, but once I create a new line, it automatically goes back to the square connector and blue line. I've even tried the format/line/color before putting in lines, and it still defaults back to blue. Please help! ...

SOP Line Item Transfer
It would be nice to be able to pull/transfer line items from several orders or back orders unto 1 invoice (sort of how it's done in the POP module). Sorry this was supposed to be a suggestion "Allison" wrote: > It would be nice to be able to pull/transfer line items from several orders > or back orders unto 1 invoice (sort of how it's done in the POP module). ...

Replaying audio in word document
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I recorded an interview in word. Now that I replay it, it sounds as if being reproduced in slow motion and is incomprehensible. Does anyone know how to play it at normal speed? Thanks ...

stops responding

suppress decimal point combine print word and excel
When I use word to combine print (office 2002). some excel numberic value is long than I expect, I want to suppress decimal point only two digital . for example 20.22233222424 trans to 20.22 how can I do ? scwu@dfjh.tpc.edu.tw Hi in Word you can apply a format to imported fields or round your data in the Excel file with ROUND -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany thomas wrote: > When I use word to combine print (office 2002). > some excel numberic value is long than I expect, I want to suppress > decimal point only two digital . > for example 20.22233222424 trans to 20....

Drawing a line
I have a string of 256 numbers ranging in value from 0 to 255. Lets say I want to draw a horizontal Red 256 point line of these points with each point a shade of red equal to the value of each point. I created a picture box which will accommodate the length of this line called IDC_PIC1 How do I do this in a Visual C++ 6 MFC App. Thanks in advance. In your control's OnPaint, you can select a pen (use CPen) of whatever color you want and use methods like LineTo, MoveTo to draw lines between two points on the device context thats passed to you in OnPaint. Look at related samples at codep...

Incorrect date in line chart in Excel.
I'm having difficulty with a line chart. I've got two ranges of numbers of two types of calls (from 1972 through 2004) that goes up from 50 to 7700. My chart's Y axis has automatically decided to show from 0 to 16,000. On the chart itself, my data placement starts at about 6,000 (for both 24 “F” calls and 649 “M” calls in the year 1972) and goes up to a point above 14,000 (for a figure that should only be just above 7000). I've tried to change the scale of my Y axis, but when I am able to so (2 out of 5 times) my data then goes off the chart. So I've looked at m...

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

Page Breaks 02-07-08
Is it possible to insert a page break in a report header? Try it and report back with your results. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Bev" wrote: > Is it possible to insert a page break in a report header? You can insert a page break into a header so that part of the header prints on the next page, if that is what you mean, but it is hard to see why you would want to do that. Each section of a report, including the header, has a Force New Page property. Perhaps that is what you are seeking. "Bev" <Bev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

blocking specific text in Word
Hello- I am creating a document for a client. There will be certain areas that will be locked and certain areas where my client will need to input information. They wanted to know if there is a way that when their team types in their information that they can block out specific words so they wouldn't be able to type them in. For example, they have a long list of products and only want the client to be able to input certain product words but block out other ones. Is there anyway to do this? Thanks! I don't know of any way to block specific words, but they could us...

recipient policy stopped working

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

Contract line invoice date changing when line is cancelled
Is there a way to keep the contract line invoice date from changing to the cancelled "as of" date when cancelling a contract line? We bill in advance and would like the invoice date to remain as is. Example: inv dt: 12/1/06 coverage dates: 12/1/06 - 12/31/06 After cancelling the line as of 12/14/06: inv dt: 12/14/06 coverage dates: 12/1/06 - 12/14/06 ...

Stopping a Campaign Temporarily
Hi, My client has executed the campaign in Jan 1st 2006 and the end date is Dec 31st 2006. But he wants to stop the campaign temporarily from 15th July 2006 and again start it from 1st Aug 2006. So what is that I need to do for this thing, i have never come across this kind of situation before. Thanks in advance. Regards, Shabbir. ...

Would you stop for a moment?!
Excuse me!! Would you stop for a moment?! O...man...Haven't you thought-one day- about yourself ? Who has made it? Have you seen a design which hasn't a designer ?! Have you seen a wonderful,delicate work without a worker ?! It's you and the whole universe!.. Who has made them all ?!! You know who ?.. It's "ALLAH",prise be to him. Just think for a moment. How are you going to be after death ?! Can you believe that this exact system of the universe and all of these great creation will end in in nothing...just after death! Have you thought, for a second, How to save you...

Word document opens different when using XP and Vista
I completed a document on Word 2007 on a XP computer. I then opened the > document in Word 2007 on a Vista computer and some of the styling and spacing > was different? Is there a way I can fix this? Probably not - see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> ...

DDE data from Excel to Word
Hello, i'm using excel as database for one mailing-list with word. It works fine, but sometimes, it stop working. Word opens excel, but then, it stays in this state, just saying it is wayting for the DDE answer from excel. Nothing comes. It doen't even stop trying, turning back to the word-file (without the connection to the database). So i couldn't even change any option or link with the database. Is there something possible to make excel answer to word ? (or at least a way to make work stop waiting for it) I took a look in the help (excel), and the option "do not care ...

Print grid lines #2
Is it possible to configure Excel XP to always print the grid lines without having to select this option each time a new spreadsheet is created using Page Setup Hi Stephen, You could set up both a book.xlt and a sheet.xlt (templates) with the things that you want. The book template will be used for new workbooks and the sheet template for adding new worksheets. Templates, book.xlt, sheet.xlt ... http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/template.htm - --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritc...

Stop
I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a deposited item. I made one bank deposit for the combined amount. When it cleared, I matched it against the two items and all seemed fine. Problem is that every day Money shows the item again as an unmatched item and I have to delete it constantly. I realise this system isn't to well written, but is there any way to have this not show up. After all it was matched and accepted once. In microsoft.public.money, John Barnes wrote: >I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a &g...

how do you stop spam?
I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2 installed. We have around 40 employees in the company and they have been complaining about spam. Desktops are running Outlook 2000. Is there a way to stop spam without installing a third party software? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. there is an open source one available. i think it is on sourceforge.net. search for smtp. mike "Peter McCaul" <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ujtLb2riEHA.1140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2...