how do you type scientific notation in Word 2003?

I'm trying to type problems that add, subtract,etc, into scientific notation.
 Such as 1.2 x 10^3 + 2.3 x 10^6 so that the "3" and 6" are shown as an
exponents.

Hi skcole11,

Simple: superscript the the "3" and 6".

--
Cheers
macropod

"skcole11" <skcole11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9295C87B-B5D7-4A8D-A44C-F9C7058F08AF@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to type problems that add, subtract,etc, into scientific notation.
> Such as 1.2 x 10^3 + 2.3 x 10^6 so that the "3" and 6" are shown as an
> exponents.
0
macropod
12/31/2009 2:03:06 AM
Apply Superscript formatting to the exponents.  To do that, select the
exponent and then hold down the Shift and the Ctrl keys and press the key
with + above =

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"skcole11" <skcole11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to type problems that add, subtract,etc, into scientific
> notation.
> Such as 1.2 x 10^3 + 2.3 x 10^6 so that the "3" and 6" are shown as an
> exponents.

0
Doug
12/31/2009 2:07:58 AM
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:27:01 -0800, skcole11
<skcole11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to type problems that add, subtract,etc, into scientific notation.
> Such as 1.2 x 10^3 + 2.3 x 10^6 so that the "3" and 6" are shown as an
>exponents.

Select the exponent and format it as a superscript. The long way is to
right-click it, choose Font, and check the Superscript box in the
dialog. The shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+=.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

The other replies included instructions for superscripting the exponent.
There are, however, a few more things to consider.
1. Instead of the letter x, you can insert a real multiplication sign (×)
from the Symbol dialog box, by typing d7 and then pressing Alt+x, or by
creating an Autotext entry, an AutoCorrect sequence, or a shortcut key for it.
2. You might want to insert nonbreadking spaces before and after the
multiplication sign to prevent the expression from being broken by a line
break. This is easily done by pressing Shift+Cntrl+Spacebar instead of
pressing just the spacebar.
3. For the minus sign in the exponent, you can insert a real minus sign (−)
or an en dash (–) instead of an ordinary hyphen. The minus sign and en dash
are practically identical in appearance. The advantage of using the en dash
is that there is already a built-in shortcut key for it, Ctrl+-(num). The
advantage of the real minus sign is that it prevents line breaking in the
middle of the exponent. You can insert a real minus sign from the Symbol
dialog box, by typing 2212 and then pressing Alt+x, or by creating an
Autotext entry, an AutoCorrect sequence, or a shortcut key for it.
4. I personally find it faster and easier to create superscripts by pressing
Shift+Cntrl+=, typing the superscripted characters, and then pressing
Cntrl+Spacebar to return to ordinary formatting, rather than by going back
and selecting the characters to format after they are already typed. This
technique requires less keystrokes does not involve reaching for the mouse.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"skcole11" wrote:

> I'm trying to type problems that add, subtract,etc, into scientific notation.
>  Such as 1.2 x 10^3 + 2.3 x 10^6 so that the "3" and 6" are shown as an
> exponents.

Publisher 2003 files save as Word
I recently installed Office 2003 (and sp 3) on a new laptop with Windows 7 x64. My Publisher docs are all saving as Word files. When I open them I get a window full of gobbledygook that asks me to choose the encoding that makes them readable. I have no idea what to choose, but there seems to be no difference when I change it. This occurs on my old files as well as new ones I try to create. I have tried un- and reinstalling Office '03 and have also removed any hint of '07 that came installed on the machine. It's got to be something simple I have overlooked....any ideas...

Changing Language of Mac MS Word Version 12.1.3
The product was installed with Dutch menus and help files. How can this be changed to english? On 3/25/09 1:34 AM, in article 190C45F8-6AFE-4817-9BD0-3A139648F95D@microsoft.com, "ClarityMan" <ClarityMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > The product was installed with Dutch menus and help files. How can this be > changed to english? Unfortunately, it can't. You must purchase and install the English version. -- Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom ...

Convert an ODT file to Word 2003
How do I convert an ODT file to Word? I currently have Word 2003. You need to use the OpenXML/ODF Translator Add-in See http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter/ -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "Benjamin" <Benjamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:878B37D9-99E7-45BB-8027-EDE7DA689815@microsoft.com... > How do I convert an ODT file to Word? > > I currently have Word 2003. On Nov 24, 2:18=A0pm, "Dou...

Pie of Pie Chart type with smaller pie showing slices of main slic
Hi How can I do the following: Lets say I have the following labels and data For the main pie I have A,B,C labels with A =5, B =10, and C =20. So my main pie would show 3 slices with C being the largest slice. To do this I highlight the 3 labels and their data and choose Insert, Pie, Pie in a Pie to show a main pie on the left with 3 slices and a smaller solid pie to the right with series lines connectiing them. I want to show the solid smaller pie on the right in several slices to show how the C slice of 20 is broken down. lets say the main slice C of 20 is made up ...

upgradeing publisher 2003 to 2007
I have a stand alone publisher 2003 can I upgrade it to 2007 without having to by a completepublisher 2007 Yes -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Naida" <Naida@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49F012DE-888F-4991-8944-6E6EA92AA445@microsoft.com... >I have a stand alone publisher 2003 can I upgrade it to 2007 without having > to by a completepublisher 2007 ...

Defrag the OS of an Exchange 2003 Server
Is it safe to defrag the OS of an Exchange 2003 Server? On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 05:49:02 -0800, "Sabo, Eric" <SaboEric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it safe to defrag the OS of an Exchange 2003 Server? Yes. Make sure that there are the minimum of users on it and that you have a cerified backup of the entire box, but that would be the same advice for defragging any server. Mark, thanks! "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote: > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 05:49:02 -0800, "Sabo, Eric" > <SaboEric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > >Is it...

Typing in macros
I have made a few macros and use them in word and excel 2000. When I see typed out macros on the message boards I am not quite sure how to use them. Do I go into the editor, type them in and then link them with a button on the toolbar? What module do I put them in and is there one for the personal worksheet. I have been struggling with the syntax of Visual Basics for years. Just need a step by step explanation. Thank You Sue In general, the macros you see in the groups are likely to be ordinary macros that will go into a general module in the VBE, eg:- Hit ALT+F11 and this will...

Publisher will not print, but Word and EXCEL do
I have a printer problem using MS Office Publisher 2003. My friend just installed a Brother MFC-3820CN USB printer to his Windows XP Home (V2002 SP2) computer. He can print from his Word and EXCEL (2003) programs, but not his Publisher (2003 SP1) program. When the “Print” function is selected in Publisher, the following message appears: “A printer has not been installed on the system. Install a printer for Publisher to use. The fonts in your publication may look different as a result of the printer selection.” The printer functions fine in all the other programs. Currently, Publisher ...

Open File Dialog to fileter multiple file types at once...?
Hello, Here is another quick one for you all. The solution is probably simple, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I have the following code: CFileDialog OpenDlg(TRUE, NULL, NULL, OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT | OFN_HIDEREADONLY, ""); // Later must set this to retrieve a value from the registry OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "c:\\"; OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrFilter = "txt Files\0*.txt\0Doc Files\0*.doc\0"; OpenDlg.DoModal(); I am trying to get the box to filter out everything but the *.doc and the *.txt files ... I have seen some boxes that have something that...

Rectification of wrong posting type
Hi There is one PL account say "Mic Expenses" has got wrong posting type "Balance sheet", when we closed the year 2005 ,System has brought forward the balance of that account into next year 2006, which otherwise should have been gone into the Retain Earning of 2006, is there any option to rectify this error, other then passing rectifying JV in 2005(coz in that case if I take last year TB then ending balance of this account would be Zero) or restoring the backup and doing closing procedure again. Thanks in Advance Shabnam There is a Article ID for this in partner s...

2003 SPAM filters not working!!!
I have installed Outlook 2003 at home and at work. I use exchange at both places. At work, Outlook is doing an AWESOME job filtering out SPAM. I have the filter set to 'high' and it gets everything! At home, it gets nothing! I have the same filter settings and EVERYTHING gets through! what's up? I instaled them the same way! As a matter of fact, I am using the same 'free trail' CD for both!! HELP! Andrew ps - To make matters worse, I made the mistake of using my real email in a Microsoft Newsgroup! D'Oh! Now I have gotten over 300 of those "MS Update"...

Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types?
Hi, I am getting the above error message everytime I try to insert a chart or any type into a completely blank presentation using either the Insert, Chart command or the Insert Chart button in the Title and Content slide layout. I am using 2007. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA, Shane Devenshire Try running Office Diagnostics, Shane. Open PPT or Excel, hit the Office button, then <app> Options | Resources. I think that may resolve this issue. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007...

how do i work with column header in visio 2003? is this a table?
column header in visio 2004 is a table or just a blank page? ...

Outlook won't open first Word attachment
Trying to help a user with the following problem - any suggestions? When he tries to open Word 2000 attachments in Outlook 2002, he receives the installing prompt from Word, it goes through the entire install, then opens to a blank black screen, he then closes out of Word and receives the error "The System cannot find the file specified." When he goes back to Outlook and clicks on the next Word file attachment, it opens correctly in Word. However, this installation issue happens the first time each morning. Other users in the office do not have this problem. Both Outloo...

Word template footer appearing in Outlook emails
We use Outlook 2003. Lately, emails sent to others, especially those using a different version of Outlook show a "footer" in the body of the email similar to the following: RH: 0/0/0000 0:00 AM C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\[NAME].PSG\APPLICATION DATA\MICROSOFT\TEMPLATES\NORMAL.DOT [Body of email then follows] I use Word as Outlook editor and have a footer as part of my normal.dot in Word. The "footer" insertion recently started when we switched to Windows Server 2008. Any suggestions for stopping the "footer" appearing? It doesn't show when...

need help to declard type=IntType instead type="xsd:int" with xml schema
Hi, I am writing C# code to produce xml schema. //Create attribute XmlSchemaAttribute att2 = new XmlSchemaAttribute(); att2.Name = "CustomerID"; att2.SchemaTypeName = new XmlQualifiedName("int",schemaNS); att2.Use = XmlSchemaUse.Required; ct.Attributes.Add(att2); I need to produce schema with custom data type instead of the xsd:string or xsd:int The code above will produce the following schema <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xsd:schema attributeFormDefault="unqualified" version="1.0" xmlns:xsd=...

Telephony problem in Outlook 2003 sp2
Been using outlook and telephony on xp sp1 for sometime now saves hitting the wrong keys on the phone occaisionally I get "another program is using the selected telephony device" of course I'm unaware of any other device, and there's no item that covers this in either xp help or outlook help when I look at cp/phone&modem/modems I get generic soft 56 and in /advanced there are 6 items listed, incl 3 from ms any idea how to solve this? ...

Word 2008 crashing.
Didn't have a problem until yesterday, and now I'm crashing a lot. I looked at the previous post in this newsgroup and tried doing the fix for a bad document or bad font, but to no avail. Anybody have any suggestions? Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0 Error Signature: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Date/Time: 2008-04-04 14:23:33 -0700 Application Name: Microsoft Word Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word Application Signature: MSWD Application Version: 12.0.1.080305 Crashed Module Name: Microsoft Word Crashed Module Version: 12.0.1.080305 Crashed Module Offset: 0x00705e1e B...

Outlook 2003 and Project Central
Hi there, I can't seem to get rid of Project Central from my Tasks in Outlook 2003. I used to have Outlook 2002 connected to it on my old computer, and it was replaced with a new one with XP and Office 2003. For some reason, it always brings up Project Central instead of my normal Tasks and I want them back! I had disabled Project Central as we weren't using it, but I've had to reenable it to try to find out what's going on. I've tried changing the Display option in Project Central not to be my default Tasks view, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Can an...

Scatterplots with different colors based on Type of Data
Is it possible to plot a scatterplot with different colors for 2 sets of data? E.g Type of Agreement MRP Discount% Limited 10 5% UnLimited 20 10% I want to show different colors for Limited & Unlimited. Is it possible to plot scatterplots on both axis(Primary & Secondary) Please let me know. Thanks, Satish If I use this range to make a chart Limited 10 5% Unlimited ...

News
Each time I go to the Internet properties and set the program Outlook Express, I can then attach a "News" item to the Menu bar. However, when I close out and retry, all I get is a Windows Explorer listing of the following directory: C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033 Then, If I repeat the steps above again, the newsreader will open once, and then after that, I will get the Windows Explorer listing of the path above. Is this a bug? It seems that Outlook 2003 can't remember where it's newsreader is once you set it? Thanks for any suggestions. Make...

outlook type interface
I have an SDI application and want to change it so I have a split window, on the left I want a TreeControl above a 'PropertyGrid' control. Then my exisiting SDI Client in the space on the right Can anyone point in the right direction to achieve this Any help will be much appreciated Thanks Phil You need to use two CSplitterWnds (as members of your CMainFrame). Override CMainFrame::OnCreateClient and create a vertical splitter as the main child (i.e. 1 row, 2 cols). Then you want to create a horz splitter as a child of the left-hand pane of the main splitter (which has 2 rows, 1 c...

Merge to email w/Word and Outlook 2002 security issue
I am trying to merge email using Word and Outlook 2002. This merge consists of about 3000 recipients. When I commence the merge I get an Outlook Security warning that tells me that some outside program is trying to send email using my Outlook profile and I have to click Yes or No. It procedes to ask me for ever single recipient... I'm not going to sit there and say yes for 3000 people. Do you know of a setting somewhere that I can change to not ask me everytime? Thanks, Brian What service pack(s) have you applied? Did you choose HTML as the message format for the merge? -- ...

'Selection too large' message in Excel 2003
When I fill down or copy and paste formats only, I continue to get a 'Selection too large' popup. It's happened on several different spreadsheets over a few weeks, so it's not an isolated incident. The PC I work from (a P4-2.8, 512MB RAM) was upgraded recently, as was Excel 2003, and I don't remember this being an issue using Excel 97 on a P4-2.4, 256MB system which I had prior to the upgrade. Also, we're running Windows 2000 on a Novell network. My config.sys has the following lines which may have some or no bearing on the problem: Files=40 Buffers=40 Stac...

VSTO Excel 2003 to VB 6.0 Type mismatch
Hi, I have an Addin 2003 Application. In this Application I'm calling an VB 6.0 Dll and I send Excel Application Object as Parameter. In VB Project I'm using Workbook_Open event with WithEvents. I have a messagebox there. Unfortunately when i call VB dll , I get this Error Message -- > Type mismatch. Is there any Idea? Code in VS2008 : private Project1.Class1 vbapp; private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { #region VSTO generated code this.Application = (Excel.Application)Microsoft....