How do I get rid of strange special characters?

  • Follow


I had a word article that I was going to insert into sql server in a text 
field.  So I replaced every occurrence of apostrophe by two apostrophes (sql 
server doesn't like seeing single apostrophes in the middle of a text field).
What I didn't notice was that this replace doesn't work the way you would 
expect (in Word).  When you try and replace one apostrophe by two, you get a 
reverse slanted character followed by an apostrophe.  Since I didn't notice 
this,  I went ahead and inserted the word as text into a sql field, and now 
my sql database is full of these characters.  I have to get rid of them, so 
the question is - what are they?  
Thanks,


0
Reply Utf 1/27/2010 9:20:01 PM

Possibly a grave accent? Usually on the top left key on a U.S. keyboard.

-- 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"forever_newbie" <forever_newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:6D4367EB-2DE9-40DD-89D5-400DDFD4C10A@microsoft.com...
>I had a word article that I was going to insert into sql server in a text
> field.  So I replaced every occurrence of apostrophe by two apostrophes 
> (sql
> server doesn't like seeing single apostrophes in the middle of a text 
> field).
> What I didn't notice was that this replace doesn't work the way you would
> expect (in Word).  When you try and replace one apostrophe by two, you get 
> a
> reverse slanted character followed by an apostrophe.  Since I didn't 
> notice
> this,  I went ahead and inserted the word as text into a sql field, and 
> now
> my sql database is full of these characters.  I have to get rid of them, 
> so
> the question is - what are they?
> Thanks,
>
>
> 

0
Reply Suzanne 1/27/2010 11:05:56 PM

No, its not a grave accent.  Try it yourself - create a word such as
Mary's and then do a search/replace of the apostrophe by 2
apostrophes.  At least in Word 2000, it creates 2 characters, and
neither of them are a grave character.
-- Thanks

On Jan 27, 6:05=A0pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Possibly a grave accent? Usually on the top left key on a U.S. keyboard.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "forever_newbie" <forever_new...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess=
age
>
> news:6D4367EB-2DE9-40DD-89D5-400DDFD4C10A@microsoft.com...
>
> >I had a word article that I was going to insert into sql server in a tex=
t
> > field. =A0So I replaced every occurrence of apostrophe by two apostroph=
es
> > (sql
> > server doesn't like seeing single apostrophes in the middle of a text
> > field).
> > What I didn't notice was that this replace doesn't work the way you wou=
ld
> > expect (in Word). =A0When you try and replace one apostrophe by two, yo=
u get
> > a
> > reverse slanted character followed by an apostrophe. =A0Since I didn't
> > notice
> > this, =A0I went ahead and inserted the word as text into a sql field, a=
nd
> > now
> > my sql database is full of these characters. =A0I have to get rid of th=
em,
> > so
> > the question is - what are they?
> > Thanks,

0
Reply FOREVER_NEWBIE 2/1/2010 6:43:03 PM

I would expect an opening single quote in this context.

-- 
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"FOREVER_NEWBIE" <ghillseeker@aol.com> wrote in message 
news:1fff30b6-f875-43c6-87ce-eb5c8f73e667@g1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...
No, its not a grave accent.  Try it yourself - create a word such as
Mary's and then do a search/replace of the apostrophe by 2
apostrophes.  At least in Word 2000, it creates 2 characters, and
neither of them are a grave character.
-- Thanks

On Jan 27, 6:05 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Possibly a grave accent? Usually on the top left key on a U.S. keyboard.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "forever_newbie" <forever_new...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
> message
>
> news:6D4367EB-2DE9-40DD-89D5-400DDFD4C10A@microsoft.com...
>
> >I had a word article that I was going to insert into sql server in a text
> > field. So I replaced every occurrence of apostrophe by two apostrophes
> > (sql
> > server doesn't like seeing single apostrophes in the middle of a text
> > field).
> > What I didn't notice was that this replace doesn't work the way you 
> > would
> > expect (in Word). When you try and replace one apostrophe by two, you 
> > get
> > a
> > reverse slanted character followed by an apostrophe. Since I didn't
> > notice
> > this, I went ahead and inserted the word as text into a sql field, and
> > now
> > my sql database is full of these characters. I have to get rid of them,
> > so
> > the question is - what are they?
> > Thanks,


0
Reply Suzanne 2/1/2010 6:55:07 PM

3 Replies
2158 Views

(page loaded in 0.048 seconds)


Reply: