How do I get rid of strange special characters?

Follow
Email
I had a word article that I was going to insert into sql server in a text
field.  So I replaced every occurrence of apostrophe by two apostrophes (sql
server doesn't like seeing single apostrophes in the middle of a text field).
What I didn't notice was that this replace doesn't work the way you would
expect (in Word).  When you try and replace one apostrophe by two, you get a
reverse slanted character followed by an apostrophe.  Since I didn't notice
this,  I went ahead and inserted the word as text into a sql field, and now
my sql database is full of these characters.  I have to get rid of them, so
the question is - what are they?
Thanks,

0
Reply Utf 1/27/2010 9:20:01 PM

Possibly a grave accent? Usually on the top left key on a U.S. keyboard.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"forever_newbie" <forever_newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a word article that I was going to insert into sql server in a text
> field.  So I replaced every occurrence of apostrophe by two apostrophes
> (sql
> server doesn't like seeing single apostrophes in the middle of a text
> field).
> What I didn't notice was that this replace doesn't work the way you would
> expect (in Word).  When you try and replace one apostrophe by two, you get
> reverse slanted character followed by an apostrophe.  Since I didn't
> notice
> this,  I went ahead and inserted the word as text into a sql field, and
> now
> my sql database is full of these characters.  I have to get rid of them,
> so
> the question is - what are they?
> Thanks,

0
Reply Suzanne 1/27/2010 11:05:56 PM
No, its not a grave accent.  Try it yourself - create a word such as
Mary's and then do a search/replace of the apostrophe by 2
apostrophes.  At least in Word 2000, it creates 2 characters, and
neither of them are a grave character.
-- Thanks

On Jan 27, 6:05=A0pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Possibly a grave accent? Usually on the top left key on a U.S. keyboard.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "forever_newbie" <forever_new...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess=
age

> >I had a word article that I was going to insert into sql server in a tex=
> > field. =A0So I replaced every occurrence of apostrophe by two apostroph=
es
> > (sql
> > server doesn't like seeing single apostrophes in the middle of a text
> > field).
> > What I didn't notice was that this replace doesn't work the way you wou=
ld
> > expect (in Word). =A0When you try and replace one apostrophe by two, yo=
u get
> > reverse slanted character followed by an apostrophe. =A0Since I didn't
> > notice
> > this, =A0I went ahead and inserted the word as text into a sql field, a=
nd
> > now
> > my sql database is full of these characters. =A0I have to get rid of th=
em,
> > so
> > the question is - what are they?
> > Thanks,

0
Reply FOREVER_NEWBIE 2/1/2010 6:43:03 PM
I would expect an opening single quote in this context.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

On Jan 27, 6:05 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Possibly a grave accent? Usually on the top left key on a U.S. keyboard.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "forever_newbie" <forever_new...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message

> >I had a word article that I was going to insert into sql server in a text
> > field. So I replaced every occurrence of apostrophe by two apostrophes
> > (sql
> > server doesn't like seeing single apostrophes in the middle of a text
> > field).
> > What I didn't notice was that this replace doesn't work the way you
> > would
> > expect (in Word). When you try and replace one apostrophe by two, you
> > get
> > reverse slanted character followed by an apostrophe. Since I didn't
> > notice
> > this, I went ahead and inserted the word as text into a sql field, and
> > now
> > my sql database is full of these characters. I have to get rid of them,
> > so
> > the question is - what are they?
> > Thanks,

0
Reply Suzanne 2/1/2010 6:55:07 PM
Follow
Email

Very strange problem with Outlook folders
I recently spent a whole lot of time going through the 750+ messages in my inbox and sorting them into 5 folders: two for retention (long term, short term) and three for response (high priority, medium priority and low priority). Of course I deleted some of them as well. The two retention folders pre-existed this process, but the three response folders were created at this time. A few weeks after completing all that work, I was keeping my inbox nice and small (<20 messages) by moving them into those 5 folders as I received them. I was logged onto the network (I use a laptop and I trave...

A Crystal Beginner

sorting alphanumerical characters
Hi, I want to do an index for molecular formulas. Normally I import a file (.csv) and I have one column (text) containing: C3H2 C12H6F3 C12H6FO2 C6H12NO2 C10H5F3 and so on I would like to do a sorting in which C atoms are first sorted from 1-~, then H from 1 -~ and then alphabetical order of the rest of the elements(i.e F,N,O)in ascending order. The final list should look like: C3H2 C6H12NO2 C10H5F3 C12H6FO2 C12H6F3 Any suggestions please? Thank you Luminita Luminita, You can use a macro to sort chemical formulas. The version I've written will sort a list starting in cell A1, extending ...

Get paid while you get online!!

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

How do I get??

Get notified when Out of Office is on

Getting Control ID in Active X control

Get photos from a camera

how to get the pointer variable address from a dll
hi all, I have a DLL which has a output parameter LPVOID, A application calls this DLL function, the Dll responsibility is to assign a valid pointer to the lpBuffer, Till here it is OK, but once it returns to the Application this lpBuffer becomes NULL. Prototype, __declspec(dllexport) BOOL TRSTMonGetStatus(LPVOID lpBuffer) Please let me know what to do, I am stuck in this. try this __declspec(dllexport) BOOL TRSTMonGetStatus(LPVOID &lpBuffer) AliR. <karunyalakshmi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1182179607.989434.318540@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > > hi a...

How do I get my best friend back?
I NEED TO KNOW "monsterboy16" <monsterboy16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7918DF09-EB34-46E4-852E-8DAAC3FFF45F@microsoft.com... > I NEED TO KNOW Easy. Just lift the lid on your toilet seat and whistle. Dipshit! -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." Pretend that you're in a coma and unable to communicate in any way (such as posting messages in newsgroups). "monsterboy16" <monsterboy16@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Why do I get this?
IMCEAEX-_O=ABC_OU=CN121_CN=RECIPIENTS_CN=USER1@companyABC.com <-- why am I getting this as the FROM field from a recently upgrade user to Exchange 2003? ...

Excel Data List Gets "Stuck" -- Help
This has now happened for the second time. I have a "data list" that is around 1800 rows in size. Somcetimes, after I've filtered the data to show just a small number of rows, it gets "stuck." I I am no longer able to expand the list to show all the rows. I've gone in to all the columns and chosen "All" for all the columns and it still does not work. I know I can highight the entire list and tell it to remove the list and recreate the list, but that's a pain, and I lose some formatting. Can anyone help me? -- slobizman -----------------------...

'Reply to' strange behavior
I am using Outlook 2002. When I have a message saved in a folder other than my inbox, and I reply to that message, my outgoing message ends up in that same folder! It doesn't get sent. I'm sure I've wondered why someone doesn't get an email message. Now, when I send, I check the current folder to make sure it doesn't contain my outgoing email. If it does, and I try again, I get the same result. My only way out is to copy the contents of the message, create a new message (not reply), paste in the contents, then paste in the email address, and email. That works. Th...

how do you get umlauts?
I've changed the language to German but how do I get umlauts helen <helen@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I've changed the language to German but how do I get umlauts a) Change your keyboard layout to German in Regional Settings. The umlauted letters are then where ', ;, and [ are on a standard UK keyboard (uncertain about USA) (� is where - is) or b) Use Insert > Symbol or c) Memorise the character codes. To get � for example, hold down Alt and tap 0252 on your numeric keypad, then release Alt. 0223 is �, 0246 is �, and 0228 is ...

Get this error trying to get @live.com mail to sync with Windows M
[error messge] Account: 'pop3.live.com', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 You enabled an option that your mail server does not support. In Windows Mail go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Servers, then uncheck "Log on using Secure Password Authentication". -- Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "JbarJensen" <JbarJensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...