How Do I Copy A List Of Filenames Into A Word Document?

  • Follow

I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste the
names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this task?
0
Reply Utf 4/22/2010 12:50:12 PM

See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
site.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste the
> names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this task?

0
Reply Graham 4/22/2010 2:13:41 PM

Many Thanks,
One problem though, I can't download it to my work computer. I'm being
cheeky, I know, but any chance that you could e-mail it to me?

Many Thanks again,

TOFFA

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
> site.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste the
> > names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this task?
>

> .

0
Reply Utf 4/22/2010 3:36:01 PM

Another possibility is to open a command line window, do an old-fashioned
DIR *.DOC (or whatever...), select with the mouse, copy to the clipboard,
paste into Word, and [finally] trim the unneeded bits. While this sounds
complicated, it took me less than 30 seconds.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

> Many Thanks,
> One problem though, I can't download it to my work computer. I'm being
> cheeky, I know, but any chance that you could e-mail it to me?
>
> Many Thanks again,
>
> TOFFA
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
>> site.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste
>> >the
>> > names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this
>> > task?
>>

>> .

0
Reply Herb 4/22/2010 6:53:35 PM

In news:%23Szf%23Xi4KHA.5548@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Graham Mayor <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> typed:
> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download
> from my web site.
>

> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
>> I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to
>> copy and paste the names of the files only into a WORD
>> document. How do I go about this task?

Select the window to copy, Use ALT-PrtScrn to put it into the clipboard,
crop using Paint is you so desire, and paste it into your document. That's
the easiest and fastest way without using anything external to XP. PrntScrn
button by itself sends the whole desktop to the clipboard, ALT-PrtScrn just
the active window.

Or, if you insist it be text instead of an image:
============
From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379:
How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP This
article was previously published under Q321379

On This Page
INTRODUCTION
MORE INFORMATION

Windows XP
Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat file
Step 2: Create a new action for file folders
Step 3: Edit the registry
Windows Vista or Windows 7
Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat file
Step 2: Edit the registry

INTRODUCTION
This article describes how to add the Print Directory feature for folders in
Win...
This article describes how to add the Print Directory feature for folders in
Windows XP, in Windows Vista, or in Windows 7. After you follow the steps
that are described in the "More Information" section, you can right-click a
folder and then click Print Directory Listing to print a directory listing
of the contents of a folder.

MORE INFORMATION
Windows XP Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat fileTo do this, follow these
steps: C...
Windows XP
Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat file
To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
Paste the following text into Notepad:
@echo off
dir %1 /-p /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
del "%temp%\Listing"
exit
On the File menu, click Exit, and then click Yes to save the changes.
In the Save As dialog box, type the following text, and then click Save:
%windir%\Printdir.bat
Step 2: Create a new action for file folders
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

Or, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click
Folder Options.
On the File Types tab, click File Folder.
Click Advanced, and then click New.
In the Action box, type Print Directory Listing.
In the Application used to perform action box, type printdir.bat.
Click OK.
Click OK two times, and then click Close.
Step 3: Edit the registry
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and
restore the registry in Windows

After you follow the steps in the previous sections, Search Companion may
start when you double-click a folder instead of the folder being opened. Or,
if you have associated other actions with file folders, those actions may be
performed instead.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor.
Locate the Default value under the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
On the Edit menu, click Modify.
In the Value data box, type none.
Click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.
===========

A Google search for         xp print directory listing              will get
you many useful links, starting rght on the first page!  Google (or your
favorite search engine) is GREAT for looking up solutions quickly.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Reply Twayne 4/22/2010 7:59:39 PM

Contact me via the link on the home page of my web site and I'll e-mail it,
but will your company system allow you to install it?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Many Thanks,
> One problem though, I can't download it to my work computer. I'm being
> cheeky, I know, but any chance that you could e-mail it to me?
>
> Many Thanks again,
>
> TOFFA
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
>> site.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste
>> >the
>> > names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this
>> > task?
>>

>> .

0
Reply Graham 4/23/2010 5:01:49 AM