How Do I Copy A List Of Filenames Into A Word Document?

I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste the
names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this task?

See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
site.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste the
> names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this task?

0
Graham
4/22/2010 2:13:41 PM
Many Thanks,
One problem though, I can't download it to my work computer. I'm being
cheeky, I know, but any chance that you could e-mail it to me?

Many Thanks again,

TOFFA

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
> site.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste the
> > names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this task?
>

> .

Another possibility is to open a command line window, do an old-fashioned
DIR *.DOC (or whatever...), select with the mouse, copy to the clipboard,
paste into Word, and [finally] trim the unneeded bits. While this sounds
complicated, it took me less than 30 seconds.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word Bible

> Many Thanks,
> One problem though, I can't download it to my work computer. I'm being
> cheeky, I know, but any chance that you could e-mail it to me?
>
> Many Thanks again,
>
> TOFFA
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
>> site.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste
>> >the
>> > names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this
>> > task?
>>

>> .

0
Herb
4/22/2010 6:53:35 PM
In news:%23Szf%23Xi4KHA.5548@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Graham Mayor <gmayor@REMOVETHISmvps.org> typed:
> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download
> from my web site.
>

> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
>> I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to
>> copy and paste the names of the files only into a WORD
>> document. How do I go about this task?

Select the window to copy, Use ALT-PrtScrn to put it into the clipboard,
crop using Paint is you so desire, and paste it into your document. That's
the easiest and fastest way without using anything external to XP. PrntScrn
button by itself sends the whole desktop to the clipboard, ALT-PrtScrn just
the active window.

Or, if you insist it be text instead of an image:
============
From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321379:
How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP This
article was previously published under Q321379

On This Page
INTRODUCTION
MORE INFORMATION

Windows XP
Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat file
Step 2: Create a new action for file folders
Step 3: Edit the registry
Windows Vista or Windows 7
Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat file
Step 2: Edit the registry

INTRODUCTION
This article describes how to add the Print Directory feature for folders in
Win...
This article describes how to add the Print Directory feature for folders in
Windows XP, in Windows Vista, or in Windows 7. After you follow the steps
that are described in the "More Information" section, you can right-click a
folder and then click Print Directory Listing to print a directory listing
of the contents of a folder.

MORE INFORMATION
Windows XP Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat fileTo do this, follow these
steps: C...
Windows XP
Step 1: Create the Printdir.bat file
To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type notepad, and then click OK.
Paste the following text into Notepad:
@echo off
dir %1 /-p /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
del "%temp%\Listing"
exit
On the File menu, click Exit, and then click Yes to save the changes.
In the Save As dialog box, type the following text, and then click Save:
%windir%\Printdir.bat
Step 2: Create a new action for file folders
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

Or, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click
Folder Options.
On the File Types tab, click File Folder.
Click Advanced, and then click New.
In the Action box, type Print Directory Listing.
In the Application used to perform action box, type printdir.bat.
Click OK.
Click OK two times, and then click Close.
Step 3: Edit the registry
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and
restore the registry in Windows

After you follow the steps in the previous sections, Search Companion may
start when you double-click a folder instead of the folder being opened. Or,
if you have associated other actions with file folders, those actions may be
performed instead.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor.
Locate the Default value under the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
On the Edit menu, click Modify.
In the Value data box, type none.
Click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.
===========

A Google search for         xp print directory listing              will get
you many useful links, starting rght on the first page!  Google (or your
favorite search engine) is GREAT for looking up solutions quickly.

HTH,

Twayne`

0
Twayne
4/22/2010 7:59:39 PM
Contact me via the link on the home page of my web site and I'll e-mail it,
but will your company system allow you to install it?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Many Thanks,
> One problem though, I can't download it to my work computer. I'm being
> cheeky, I know, but any chance that you could e-mail it to me?
>
> Many Thanks again,
>
> TOFFA
>
> "Graham Mayor" wrote:
>
>> See the freeware Printfolders utility that you can download from my web
>> site.
>>
>> --
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>>
>> My web site www.gmayor.com
>> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
>> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>>

>> "TOFFA99" <TOFFA99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a list of filenames in a directory and I wish to copy and paste
>> >the
>> > names of the files only into a WORD document. How do I go about this
>> > task?
>>

>> .

0
Graham

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Cached Outlook address list to Contacts folder?
Is there an easy way to copy addresses from the Outlook address cache to a contacts folder? How to automatically add recipient email address to contacts folder when sending email? Thanks you mean the autocomplete cache? either an addin to add people you reply to (http://www.slipstick.com/addins/contacts.htm#data) to contacts, or use http://www.ingressor.com/ -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http:/...

Blocked Senders List
Internet Rumor has it that there is a limit to the Blocked Senders list in OWA. I can't find any documentation around OWA, just Outlook. I have seen two documents on Outlook, one says 512kb the other says unlimited. I believe the blocked list is held in the mailbox top level. Does OWA use the same restrictions as Outlook, is the list held in the mailbox top level (like the rules, or maybe with the rules). On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 14:58:01 -0700, Ken Wood <Ken Wood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Internet Rumor has it that there is a limit to the Blocked Senders list in &g...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Scan on Document Imager Office 2007, preview shows, scan doesnt
When I attempt to scan a document in the Document Imager, my scanner shows up, I select it. I click on "preview" and the document can be seen, then, I click on scan....nothing shows up. Help ...

Where to go for Word and Excel?
Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the news.microsoft.com server. Where does one go now for questions about these and other Office applications? I know this isn't relevant to this newsgroup, but hoping someone can tell me something. TIA LAS On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:56:47 -0400, "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote: � Newsgroups that I've used for years have disappeared from the � news.microsoft.com server. Where does one go now for questions about these � and other Office applications? I know this isn't relevant ...

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Putting an XML document in a TreeView.
I would like to put an XML document into a Windows TreeView. I have started with XmlTextReader and seem to get stuck with all of the different Read/Move commands available. I was wondering if someone else has already gone through the pain of descending through an XML document either printing or adding the attribute and element values and names to a TreeView? It would just save me some time as I will have to do some trial and error to get it to work. Thank you. Kevin Hello! Maybe you could use XmlDocument, it should be easy to convert from one tree-like structure to another. (You'...

Outlook 2000 SP3

Copy picture ossice wizard

How can I set up a guest list counter & tracker?
I just purchased this program- and would like to have a template for keeping track of wedding guests, their info, etc. I've seen websites where the program will keep count of guest & perform functions for you. Any suggestions? TIA What kind of functions do you think you'd want it to do? I can tell you that Excel will only be a help to you if you (or someone else) enters the data. "becca" wrote: > I just purchased this program- and would like to have a template for keeping > track of wedding guests, their info, etc. I've seen websites where the > pr...

subtotal copy and paste

Deleting Range name's listed in the range address box.
In Excel, in the top corner of the application there is a box which list the name of a select range (e.g F19 etc..). when I use the querytables method to import a CSV onto a worksheet. This range address box, has the name of the data I have imported. when I use clear, or qyertytables delete to remove the imported data - I am unable to remove the name of the data appearing in the drop-down list for the range box. Is there anyway to delete this ? or is it not a problem ? I am concerned because I this rangelist seems to fill up pretty quickly with imported data ranges.. Choose Insert&...

Marketing Lists
We are exporting a marketing list through the "export to excel spreadsheet" tool in order to print mailing labels. When we try to export the marketing list we are getting all of the contacts in CRM. I have tried this on two different CRM environments and have the exact same results. It seems the query is returning all rows from the database and not the rows from the marketing list. Hi Gileon, Please make sure you are following the procedure below (assuming you're using the Outlook interface): 1. Expand the marketing folder 2. Click Marketing Lists 3. Double click the mar...

Copying graphs

'Documents folder' is too full
OS 10.4.10 Ibook G4 1.5 GB Ram Word 2004 As I open certain files of late, a message tells me when I go to put the file or folder into my 'Documents' folder, that some information may not appear from the new file because 'Documents folder' is too full, or something like that. What is going on? Should I split my document folder into two sub folders? Thanks, Rafael Hi Rafael: Check how much free disk space you have? Empty your Trash. Reboot the computer. I think you are out of disk space. Cheers On 9/11/07 6:46 PM, in article C3595E5E.4C48%raf44ael98@sbcglobal.net,...

how do I convert a publisher document to .jpeg format?
I want to save a Publisher document as a .jpeg file. The help topics say it can be done, but I haven't been able to find out how in the help menu. Any ideas will be appreciated... Is there a reason why you want a .jpg? Would a .pdf work? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Thumper" <Thumper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9FB0F29-3D95-4E22-963B-F2004CA37AE7@microsoft.com... >I want to save a Publisher document as a .jpeg file. The help topics say it > can be done, but I haven't been able to find out how in the help menu. Any > ...

I need to convert a word table to excel
When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or two empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is this? usually means there are superfluous paragraph marks in the Word table. "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012E3413-1F64-4018-BC14-A2D6AB68B668@microsoft.com... > When I try doing this by copying the table it appears in excelwith one or > two > empty lines in between each of my lines that I needed converting. Why is > this? ...

Copying Views

Having a go with assembly... how do I copy a double into a register??
I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. Now if I declare my doubles as floats float f double d _asm { mov edx, f //ok mov edx, d //error operand size conflict Can someone show me the error of my ways??? Thanks "Si" <me@you.twang> wrote in message news:sm1gk0l60ng23gilu9b68hkcqi3ub9horn@4ax.com... > > > I'm trying to speed up a maths routine which consists of much > iterative multiplication (and adding and subtraction of ) doubles. > > Now if I de...