how do I condense a two page letter to one page

what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page and
you want make it fit onto one page?

Decrease the margins?
Make the fonts smaller?
Edit out some of the content?
Wave a magic wand?
"staples" <staples@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page
and
: you want make it fit onto one page?

1
Tom
3/3/2010 7:26:57 PM
To fit more text on the page:

* Make your margins smaller so the text area is larger
* Use a smaller font
* Turn on auto-hyphenation
* Look for lines with just one or two words and try to reword those
sentences to avoid wrapping to the next line
* Edit your letter and look for any unnecessary words.

The biggest space-wasters on your page are the lines with just one or two
words.  Rewording those sentences or making your margins just a little
smaller will cut out those wasted line-wraps.

Think of it as a puzzle that you solve by simplifying your language
throughout your page.  You "win" when it all fits.

"staples" wrote:

> what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page and
> you want make it fit onto one page?
See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051886751033.aspx

Note that sometimes the outcome is better if you do it by hand by only
changing some small things like the width between paragraphs.

Yves

"staples" <staples@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page
> and
> you want make it fit onto one page?

0
Yves
3/3/2010 8:15:58 PM
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"staples" <staples@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page
> and
> you want make it fit onto one page?

0
Suzanne

Is "Go To Page" the only way?
Hi there, I'm a 2007 Publisher newbie. I am used to the 2003 version & I really utilised the little pages you had at the bottom left of the screen to flick from page to page. I can't seem to find this option in 2007. I am currently changing pages via Edit/ Go to page.. which quite frankly is a PITA. Please someone tell me how to view my pages in a more user friendly way? Many thanks The sort option is missing from some Publisher 2007 applications. There is a registry fix here: http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs It is FAQ 6 -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/...

Auto print HTML page from hyperlink in Excel?
I hope someone in this forum can help me with this question. I have just been sent an Excel 97 spreadsheet containing approx 900 rows of information about documents created through a web form. One column contains a full list of the URL information pointing to eac of these documents. Due to a legal requirement, every one of thes documents must be printed prior to actioning in an accounting syste (Yes, you read that right! Dontcha just love industrial relations?) To enable faster access for printing, I have created hyperlinks for al of these URL's in another column by using =HYPERLINK(M2) an...

Problem with two time zones
I have a problem trying to use two time zones. If I set up the current timezone as Adelaide (GMT+9:30) and timezone 2 as Sydney (GMT+10:00), it works fine: the two times display 30 minutes different, as expected (eg Adelaide = 16:30, Sydney = 17:00). But if I swap the time zones making Sydney current, it shows the correct time for Sydney, but shows Adelaide an hour slow (eg Sydney = 17:00, Adelaide = 15:30). Checking or clearing the daylight saving checkboxes makes no difference. As an experiment I tried using other pairs of timezones that are also 30 minutes apart, and got the same r...

Supporting two executables in a solution-2
Hi all, Two days ago, In 2/6/10 I started here a thread named "Supporting two executables in a solution". I did add the second executable but its breakpoints are dissabled immediatly after startup(its not the startup project). Is it possible to enable them and how? Regards Morris On Feb 9, 7:35=A0am, "Morris" <imor...@mako.com> wrote: > Hi all, > Two days ago, =A0In 2/6/10 I started here a thread named "Supporting two > executables in a solution". > I did add the second executable but its breakpoints are dissabled immedia= tly ...

one cell in a row contains a number
I have a fixed row of 7 cells, any one of which might contain a number. the cell with the number is the relevant one and it will determine my formula; i will want to multiply the cell value by a number in another cel which is chosen according to the number of the cell in the original row. eg A1:A7- A3 contains 21 formula in A50 will wish to determine 21 x value of cell in column 3 of a range of columns because the number 21 is in cell 3 in the row. I was planning to use V or HLookup I think but cant fathom how to get the cell number form the original row. TIA Chris =SU...

Print Preview "Prev Page" but is always disabled
Hello, I have created an MFC application and have added Printing and Print Preview capability. The only problem i have is that the Prev Page button on the Print Preview toolbar is always disabled. The "Two Pages" button and "Next Page" are enabled and work correctly. I am setting the CPrintInfo::SetMaxPage() and CPrintInfo::SetMinPage() and CPrintInfo::m_nCurPage values in OnPreparePrinting() but this doesnt seem to make a difference. Is their anything else that i can try which will enable this button? Thanks Andy ...

Numbers to letters
Does anyone know hoe to convert numberts into the letters of the alphabet. Example 1=a 2=b 3=c ... ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ For the numbers 1 to 26 you can use something like this With the number in A1 place this formula in a other cell =CHAR(A1+64) -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "jpx" <jpx.uxo8a@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jpx.uxo8a@excelforum-nospam.com... > D...

Fixed Assets in TWO?
I was under the impression that all the modules available would be installed on our TWO (The World Online) company in GP 7.5. It appears that fixed assets was not installed. Does anyone know how I would go about installing it on TWO? Some people would like to start playing with it and I can't even give it to them in TWO. Thanks, Vergence Fixed Assets is a separate install - both on the server and on each client you want to use fixed assets from. The Fixed assets Management manual should help to walk you through the installation. Victoria "Vergence" <Vergence@dis...

Custom Cover Page
I was able to save my own custom cover page to the gallery in Word 2007. However, when click on it to insert, the margins have changed and part of it moves onto the next page. How can I save the page keeping the integrity of the margins, the text and the graphic altogether? Thank you in advance. ...

Compare and Merge Two different CRM Instances
We have two different CRM environments that we want to merge into one. My first step was to try and compare the different instances to see what the different were between them. I exported all of the customizations from each and performed a diff. Yuck. Since the customizations don't export the elements in the same order it looks like their are over 7,000 differences between the two files. Reality says that at best there may be 50-100. Is there any way to get these to output in the same order so that I can get a more realistic diff between them? The only other thought I have at this po...

Export to Excel
Can anyone give me some help on export records to Excel please. I have a table were each field is 254 chars and I have chopped up some data. I would like to put it back together as I export it to Excel. Like this: part1 part2 part3 part4 etc. Export all into Cell 1 Thanks in advance! Bonnie On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:26:01 -0800, Bon <Bon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Rather than exporting a table, export a query. In this query you concatenate the fields: select part1 & part2 & part3 & part4 as AllParts from myTable -Tom. Microsoft Access...

One emailbox...two smtp accounts...two folders...
Hi, I have a unique request from one of my users which I cannot figure this out. Here's a scoop... I created a new account for John Wayne on an Exchange Server 2003. His email address is Jwayne@company.com. He requests to have an additional smtp created which is John.wayne@company.com. No problem. Here's what he would like... Any emails sent to Jwayne@company.com would go to the Inbox. And any email sent to John.Wayne@company.com would go to a specified folder. What i have done so far: I created a new folder called 'JohnWayne' within the Inbox directory then I created r...

Problem accessing variable from wizard page
Hi, I've declared some public variables in tree view . How do i access it from wizard page ? I dont really know what wizard you are talking about. If you provide access to the functionality(instead of the variables) in your view, you should be able to access it from another class which includes your view's header. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "CBTan" <cbtan@pj.ebx.com> wrote in message news:5cbd4cb8.0401082120.439dca43@posting.google.com... | Hi, | I've declared some public variables in tree view . How do i access it | from wizard page ? ...

sum of a column according to two or more variables
I have a master log with a column called hours lost, a column calle vendor, one called problem type and the rows are labeled and sorted b date. I would like to sum the hours lost column for each month according t the month and vendor, and have the sum end up in one cell I would also like to sum the hours lost column for each month accordin to the month and problem type and have the sum end up in one cell basically I only want the hours lost data for a specific vendor an month at one time or a specific problem type and month at one time, bu I don't know how to set up the formula correctl...

formula for inserting a letter
Excel 2003 In row 1, 2, 6 , 0, .... In row 2, I want A2, A6, A0, ... What's the formula for inserting a letter? Thanks +("A"&cellreference) PL wrote: formula for inserting a letter 30-Dec-09 Excel 2003 In row 1, 2, 6 , 0, .... In row 2, I want A2, A6, A0, ... What's the formula for inserting a letter? Thanks Previous Posts In This Thread: Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Developing Applications With Visual Studio.NET http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/2e2c32ff-e76b-4f26-a...

Hot Shop DKNY Watches Women's Two Tone
Hot Shop DKNY Watches Women's Two Tone - DKNY Minimum Price Hot Watch Shop : http://www.hotwatchshop.com DKNY Watches : http://www.hotwatchshop.com/DKNY-Watches.html DKNY Watches Women's Two Tone : http://www.hotwatchshop.com/DKNY-Watches-Womens-Two-Tone-Watch.html DKNY Watches Women's Two Tone All Products : DKNY Ladies Watches NY3638 - AA : http://www.hotwatchshop.com/DKNY-wristwatch-2997.html DKNY Women's Leather Collection II watch #NY3732 : http://www.hotwatchshop.com/DKNY-wristwatch-2998.html DKNY Women's Logo Cuff watch #NY3948 : http://www.hotwatchshop.co...

one chart, two worksheets
I have a worksheet with 2010 data and one with 2011 data. I'd like to make one chart where I can compare the 2 years of data. Can someone help? Thanks, Pat ...

Printing pages of a different size
My publication has 10 pages. For printing purposes, it is 2, 2-sided 11 x 17 sheets and 1, 2-sided 8-1/2 x 11 sheet in the middle. My printer is having trouble printing, and has asked me to send the 8-1/2 x 11 pages to him separately. I can not figure out how to format them that way. Can you help or do you have another solution? Thanks. Setup a new publication, copy/paste the contents. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ruth" <Ruth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60AE8833-7CDE-4996...

is there a slide design that looks like two pages of an open book
I'm trying to make a presentation for a photo essay and I'd like to present it so each slide looks like two pages of an open book. Crystal Graphics has a book transition. http://www.crystalgraphics.com/presentations/transitions.gallery7.asp#click I think Glenna Shaw has a tutorial about how to do it yourself, but I can't find it. Ah, wait, here it is: http://www.powerpointmagician.com/articles/3Dtransitions.htm Julie Terberg created a nice book that animates page turns. To get her samples (which you can modify), go here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/template...

Select one variable from a list of variables by clicking one cell
I am updating a Excel 2000 spreadsheet that displays a single cell to list one of a number of verables. The cell, when clicked, displays a "down arrow" box that then refers to the variables list from which to select. I need to duplicate that function. You can do this with Data>Validation. In the Allow box choose "List" and then in the "Source" either type in your variables seperated by commas or enter the range that holds the list. This can be a named range if the list is on another worksheet. Hope this helps Rowan "Curt" wrote: > I am ...

lookup with two variables
I'm at my witts end. I am trying to write an "if" and "vlookup" formula using two criterias. For example, I have a monthly worksheet that I need to populate a %rate for primary and secondary. Some Employees have secondary and some do not. Each employee has a different rate for a primary and secondary for each year. So I want to write a formula that would look up the employees name and from the rate table look at their name and year and grab that %age rate. For example, If I was to look up Jane Smith' primary rate for 2007, if I look at the table...

Two Combo Boxes
Is there a way to have two combo boxes in the header of a form to search and for each one to reflect the criteria of the other. I'm thinking specifically of a concatenated name field and their PeronalID field so that I can find data either way. Thanks Nigel Here's another possibility... You could add an option box with two choices: "name" and "ID". In the AfterUpdate event of that Group/option, selecting "name" results in the combobox's Source changing to look up names. Selecting "ID" changes the combobox Source to l...

Only one table appears realtionwship wizard
I have two tables in the same folder the realtionship wizard onlys shows one table Access 2007 You are mixing terms. Tables are not in folders. Folders are subdivisions of computer drives. Databases reside in folders on a drive. Tables are in databases, in folders, on a drive. Think of fields (Database term - Access) as being the columns (Spreadsheet term - Excel) of a table. Are your two tables in the same database or in different databases but in the same file folder on the drive? -- Build a little, test a little. "Terry" wrote: > I have two tables...

Cut Paste Pages
how do I cut or copy pages out of one publisher document into another document? JD wrote: > how do I cut or copy pages out of one publisher document into another > document? Open both documents, copy from one paste in the other, select whichever under Window. -- -- Geoff ExploitEd Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I do wish I could remember the darn question ...

HtmlHelp doesn't shoe the right page
I have a CDialog based application and i called HtmlHelp(this->m_hWnd, helpFilePath, HH_HELP_CONTEXT, dwData); in my WinHelp method. I checked the helpFilePath contains the right path, "c:\myapp\hlp\help.chm" and the dwData contains a right Help ID. I checked ..ali file, it contains correct information, like HID_CALL = Directory\Call.htm and in my hlp directory, it has a folder called Directory and has Call.htm. However, the HtmlHelp always return NULL. Would you please give me any ideas why the help doesn...