how do I condense a two page letter to one page

what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page and
you want make it fit onto one page?

Decrease the margins?
Make the fonts smaller?
Edit out some of the content?
Wave a magic wand?
"staples" <> wrote in message
: what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page
: you want make it fit onto one page?

3/3/2010 7:26:57 PM
To fit more text on the page:

* Make your margins smaller so the text area is larger
* Use a smaller font
* Turn on auto-hyphenation
* Look for lines with just one or two words and try to reword those
sentences to avoid wrapping to the next line
* Edit your letter and look for any unnecessary words.

The biggest space-wasters on your page are the lines with just one or two
words.  Rewording those sentences or making your margins just a little
smaller will cut out those wasted line-wraps.

Think of it as a puzzle that you solve by simplifying your language
throughout your page.  You "win" when it all fits.

"staples" wrote:

> what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page and
> you want make it fit onto one page?
3/3/2010 8:02:09 PM

Note that sometimes the outcome is better if you do it by hand by only
changing some small things like the width between paragraphs.

"staples" <> wrote in message
> what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page
> and
> you want make it fit onto one page?

3/3/2010 8:15:58 PM

Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

"staples" <> wrote in message
> what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page
> and
> you want make it fit onto one page?

Printing two half pages on 1 sheet incredibly slow. Help
I am using the new Vista operating system and now all of my 1/2 and 1/4 postcards are requiring me to put in a print command of printing multiple pages (times the 2 or 4). Is there a way to have 2 or 4 cards on one sheet of paper without doing that? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. The problem I have is it is so slow printing it is driving me crazy. Can anyone help me please? I have an HP 4650 LaserJet printer. Publisher 2007 also converted my old cards to this new format. I never had any problems of this kind before. Have you installed the Vista drivers fro...

forming a column from another one
Hi I have a question regarding to excel. I have a column includes numbers. It is like; Number: 10 10 7 7 23 55 40 I need specific numbers, lets say that, I only need number 10, 7 and 23 and then I have to form a new column by using the data in the number column, for example If the number is 10 write AA If the number is 7 write PM If the number is 23 write HZ And the other numbers can be deleted or can be 0 So at the end , I have to have something like that Number Name 10 AA 10 AA 7 PM 7 PM 23 HZ 55 0 40 0 I have around 7 different numbers .Is there any body knows h...

Join two worksheets
Is there any way to join two different worksheets - especially with different structures? I would like to create one super-worksheet with information from two (or more) other worksheets, so that the same rows from each appear in the new worksheeet associated with the same persons. This is like a logical "join" in databases. Perhaps by exporting the worksheets into Access? Jim, Doing it with Access is certainly the best way, as far as I'm concerned. Just one suggestion you might want to consider: if your spreadsheets keep changing (which I assume they do), you could av...

Pivot Table with Pages
Hi TWIMC, How do I make my pivot table pages only show items that relate to the above selection, e.g. if I have three pages REGION, COUNTRY, ZONE, then if I select Europe I want my COUNTRY list to only show countries in EUROPE. TIA KM The page fields aren't dependent, and there's no way to change the setting. Kevin McCartney wrote: > Hi TWIMC, > How do I make my pivot table pages only show items that relate to the above selection, e.g. if I have three pages REGION, COUNTRY, ZONE, then if I select Europe I want my COUNTRY list to only show countries in EUROPE. > > T...

Compare two worksheets where match is partial
Hello, I tried using the VLOOKUP AND MATCH functions, but they don't work for the data I have. I have two worksheets and they don't have unique identifiers. Below is an illustration of my data. Worksheet A Credit Card Number Last First REF Amount AXXXXXXXXXXX91009 SMITH MARY F08GXSA308 477.50 Worksheet B Credit Card Number Name Amount 1234-123456-91009 SMITH/MARY 477.50 I want to match the credit card number, the person's name and amount. I want to pull the REF data based on the condition stated. Please help. Thanks ...

HOWTO add pages into CTabCtrl!
Hello! Completely lost here. How can I add items to a tab control? I know all I have to do. I create a dialog, Child, and with no borders. I create three pages during startup, and how can I add these three dialogs into the CTabCtrl? -- - Lars ...

condense code for gridelines
Is there a way to shorten this code a bit. I recorded this macro and just feel there is a way to condense it, I'm just not sure how. All I'm trying to do is add grid lines to my sheet. This macro formats about 2 dozen pages so the less code the better. Thanks Columns("A:H").Select Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalDown).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalUp).LineStyle = xlNone With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeLeft) .LineStyle = xlContinuous .Weight = xlThin .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic End With With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeTop...

How do I create a one page newsletter (front&back) with publisher.
look at title look at title -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Open Publisher.. go to FILE - NEW.. select a newsletter style.. click on it.. overtype whatever is there with your own words.. When you have enough content for front and back, print out the first page.. then turn the sheet over and print the second page.. if you need more than one copy, set the printer to print only page 1 but multiple copies.. then set the printer to print multiple c...

Outlook 2003 not sending emails for one account #2
Hi All, I have two accounts setup under outlook 2003 which i just started using on a brand new dell computer. My sbcglobal Home account works fine but Work account will not send emails. I receive this error message: "Task 'Work - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).', "when trying to check my email. Also, if I use the test settings buttons under the account setup screen, I ge...

1865 Pages!
Hi, I've designed my first ever spreadsheet. I had a look at the layout in print preview and it says the document has 1865 pages! Surely this must be wrong? I think it should print a maximum of just four pages. Any advice would be appreciated. Regards, Sonars_UK Select the area you want to print and use File/Print area .. set prin area. Make sure settings are correct in File/Page Setu -- Brian ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BrianB's Profile: View this thread: http://...

How do I take two drawings together for two separate layers?
I have a drawing of under data center floor for cooling system but want to take this layer and combine with data center with servers on it. How do I merge these two drawings? Unfortunately there is no automated way to merge what you are attempting. You're going to have to do it manually. Al "mlaw42" <> wrote in message >I have a drawing of under data center floor for cooling system but want to > take this layer and combine with data center with servers on it. How do I &g...

two scatter plots with two trendlines on one chart
I know how to do a scatter plot and create a trend line for it. Straightforward graphing function. However, I have *two* data sets (with different number of data points) that I would like to compare. Obviously, I can do a chart for each and put them side by side. Problem: I would like to display a scatter plot for each set with a trend line for each on the *same* chart using Excel 2000. Thanks. -- ================================================= Do you like wine? Do you live in South Florida? Visit the MIAMI WINE TASTERS group at =========...

Two businsess merging (two exchanges)
Hi Guys, I have a business that is merging with another business. Eventually everyone is going to be on a new domain, but for the time being I have to do something to bridge the gap. Both customers are running Windows 2003 with Exchange servers. They are buying a new domain for email, and I was going to link both domains using a trust over a vpn. I've never done this with two exchanges in an organization before. Questions 1) Can two different exchanges co exist in the domain together? 2) Can all the users share email address across the two domains? IE: Customer A has abc...

Two conditions in IF statement
Hello, I am trying to write a macro which uses If statements subject to two logic checks. Example Sub test() IF(A3>=B3 & A3<=C3) Then Range("B7").Select Selection.Copy .... End IF End Sub Any help on this is much appreciated. Thanks One way: Public Sub Test() If Range("A3").Value >= Range("B3").Value And _ Range("A3").Value <= Range("C3").Value Then Range("B7").Copy '... End If End Sub In article <

Can I highlight a page?
Hi I have a form with 3 pages on it. If an item shows as Out Of Stock on one of the pages, I would like to highlight it by maybe making the page name display in red. How can I achieve this? Stapes On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:36:25 -0800 (PST), Stapes <> wrote: Not the page name, but certainly some control on the page, or even the background color. For example this one-liner in the Form_Current event would do: Me.Detail.BackColor = IIf(Me.OutOfStock, vbRed, vbWhite) -Tom. >Hi > >I have a form with 3 pages on it. If an item shows as Out Of Stock on >one...

Condensing Columns
I am working with an old document that was created to capture names during several years. The worksheet is set up so that there are 2 columns (first and last name) under each year, side by side. Vertically, the list is alphabetical by last name. For example if a person is listed for 5 consecutive years, their full name is written out 5 names across the row. Or if a person is listed only for one year, their name is written only once across the row. I would like to move from all the years into one column. Is there a way to do this other than manually cutting and pasting?? Thanks ...

New Business Portal pages not showing "Edit Title Bar Properties"
Hi, I have created a new "BusinessPortal WebPart Page" in Business Portal 4.0. I'm able to see the navigation, Company dropdown in the new page but while editing the page i'm not able to see the option "Edit Title Bar Properties" while it was showing for the other pages which comes with BusinessPortal 4.0. How can i edit the Title for a new "BusinessPortal WebPart Page"? Thanks, Mohan Mohan, Thanks for using the newsgroups. I tried your scenario in my environment. After creating the new BP web part page, I chose Site Settings > Edit Page. I...

How do I reuse label sheets when I don't use the whole page?
I need a way to print only 2-3 labels at a time, but not waste the whole sheet of labels. Any ideas? I have tried every option in Access that I can find. Ralph, Yes it can easily be done. If you google you will find lots of examples showing you how this can be done. Below is one link

combinening two query results into one ?
There is a table which has [ACTIVITY_DESCRIPTION], [MATERIAL_PRICE], [LABOR_PRICE] fields. I created two queries- Query1 sorts [MATERIAL_PRICE] and Query2 sorts [LABOR_PRICE] in ascending order, according to a specific common criteria for [DESCRIPTION]. So, Query1 and Query2 produces same number of row for every query. I would like to combine query results into a single table, so i will have [MATERIAL_PRICE] and [LABOR_PRICE] in ascending order for a common criteria of [DESCRIPTION]. My target is to make a chart for values of material and labor prices in ascending order. Can I do ? hi, me...

Money 2006 - Home page - spending tracker
I have a couple categories showing up in the spending tracker area that don't show up in the list when I click the 'Change the spending areas I watch closely' link so I can't turn them off. Why are these showing up? I.E. I want to see Automobile: Gasoline and Automobile: maintenance but I don't need Automobile: [all other] Same thing for utilities - I don't want the [all other] category. I only use the gasoline and maintenace sub categories ...

change start page number #2
This is just killing me! I'm trying to edit a file I did a year ago, and I can't remember how to change the document's first page number. In other words, I have two publisher documents that need to be linked together. The first is 30 pages long, so I want the second to begin page numbering with page 31. I currently have it starting at 35, but I can't figure out how to change it. Pleeeeease help. Thank you. tools/options/general/ start pub with page.... -- "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS someone ...

Condensing and Expanding reports
Does anyone know how I can set a item report (like the item value report) to automatically condense (+ )or (-) the items in a department automatically? RMS defaults to expand the items in a given department and we would like to condense every time rather than clicking the (-) button on the report each time. I know there must be a sequel statement that lets me do this but don't know what it is... Jack, Hopefully someone else will pipe in, but rather than clicking on each (-), click on the Close all groups icon on the top of the report, the 7th icon or just press Ctrl+Z -- * &qu...

CAL License Requirements for Project Server SharePoint Pages..
I know I need a CAL license for anyone accessing the PWA front-end of project server, but does a user need a CAL if they are going to access the SharePoint project page that can be spawned when a new project is added to the project server? Right now, the cost of implementing Project Server is small, compared to the CAL licensing if I have all of the engineering staff using it. I need to look at options of limiting what they access, and right now, if they do not need the CAL to access the Project sites, then I should be in good shape. Anyone know this?> If it's got th...

Create a report based on information from two forms
Hi I need to create several reports which have the appearance of the forms in my database. The top half of the form/report contains information that must be on every report so I created a base report. In the top half, I have formulas which are correct. This report/form is called Students. The bottom half of the form is in reality a subform. What I've done is saved the forms as reports (using the same file name except that these names start with R for report), Then I saved the R-Student report with a new name so I can combine the information for the second half. (...

Two responses to meeting requests
Hi Folks, I am using Outlook 2003 client on a laptop but when the user responds to meeting requests or accepts meeting requests he gets two responses or sends 2 responses. Any ideas Thanks Stephen ...