how do I condense a two page letter to one page

  • Follow

what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page and
you want make it fit onto one page?
4
Reply Utf 3/3/2010 7:14:01 PM

Decrease the margins?
Make the fonts smaller?
Edit out some of the content?
Wave a magic wand?
"staples" <staples@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page
and
: you want make it fit onto one page?

1
Reply Tom 3/3/2010 7:26:57 PM

To fit more text on the page:

* Make your margins smaller so the text area is larger
* Use a smaller font
* Turn on auto-hyphenation
* Look for lines with just one or two words and try to reword those
sentences to avoid wrapping to the next line
* Edit your letter and look for any unnecessary words.

The biggest space-wasters on your page are the lines with just one or two
words.  Rewording those sentences or making your margins just a little
smaller will cut out those wasted line-wraps.

Think of it as a puzzle that you solve by simplifying your language
throughout your page.  You "win" when it all fits.

"staples" wrote:

> what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page and
> you want make it fit onto one page?
0
Reply Utf 3/3/2010 8:02:09 PM

See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP051886751033.aspx

Note that sometimes the outcome is better if you do it by hand by only
changing some small things like the width between paragraphs.

Yves

"staples" <staples@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page
> and
> you want make it fit onto one page?

0
Reply Yves 3/3/2010 8:15:58 PM

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"staples" <staples@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what is the procedure to use when a letter spills over onto a second page
> and
> you want make it fit onto one page?

0
Reply Suzanne 3/3/2010 10:52:20 PM