How do I change highlight colour in Find and Replace

  • Follow

This applies to Word 2007. I saw the previous answer from you Danish MVP,
however when I go into the Find & Replace function, the Find item is
highlighted in blue even thought the font highlight colour is yellow. The
only time the Find item is highlighted in yellow is if the option 'Reading
Highlight -> Highlight All' is selected. I would like to change the highlight
colour only where there next Find item is selected, which is the default of
the Find & Replace function.
Thanks in advance,
Charles
0
Reply Utf 2/1/2010 12:50:01 PM

As far as I know, you cannot customize the color that indicates the
currently selected text in Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Charles Gollop" <Charles Gollop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This applies to Word 2007. I saw the previous answer from you Danish MVP,
> however when I go into the Find & Replace function, the Find item is
> highlighted in blue even thought the font highlight colour is yellow. The
> only time the Find item is highlighted in yellow is if the option 'Reading
> Highlight -> Highlight All' is selected. I would like to change the
> highlight
> colour only where there next Find item is selected, which is the default
> of
> the Find & Replace function.
> Thanks in advance,
> Charles

0
Reply Stefan 2/1/2010 1:06:04 PM

You are confusing "highlight" with "select" (and Word's labels don't help
with this). As Stefan has pointed out, the color used to select items (which
Word sometimes calls highlighting) is not user-customizable.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Charles Gollop" <Charles Gollop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This applies to Word 2007. I saw the previous answer from you Danish MVP,
> however when I go into the Find & Replace function, the Find item is
> highlighted in blue even thought the font highlight colour is yellow. The
> only time the Find item is highlighted in yellow is if the option 'Reading
> Highlight -> Highlight All' is selected. I would like to change the
> highlight
> colour only where there next Find item is selected, which is the default
> of
> the Find & Replace function.
> Thanks in advance,
> Charles

0
Reply Suzanne 2/1/2010 2:10:43 PM

(You could change it in Mac OS, at least up to OS 9, but it's not
application-specific.)

On Feb 1, 9:10=A0am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> You are confusing "highlight" with "select" (and Word's labels don't help
> with this). As Stefan has pointed out, the color used to select items (wh=
ich
> Word sometimes calls highlighting) is not user-customizable.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "Charles Gollop" <Charles Gol...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess=
agenews:61C74D21-40F7-4AB4-93AF-14CD74860E20@microsoft.com...

> > This applies to Word 2007. I saw the previous answer from you Danish MV=
P,
> > however when I go into the Find & Replace function, the Find item is
> > highlighted in blue even thought the font highlight colour is yellow. T=
he
> > only time the Find item is highlighted in yellow is if the option 'Read=
ing
> > Highlight -> Highlight All' is selected. I would like to change the
> > highlight
> > colour only where there next Find item is selected, which is the defaul=
> > of
> > the Find & Replace function.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Charles-
0
Reply Peter 2/1/2010 3:18:59 PM

This may well be possible in Windows as well but, as you say, not for Word
exclusively.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

On Feb 1, 9:10 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> You are confusing "highlight" with "select" (and Word's labels don't help
> with this). As Stefan has pointed out, the color used to select items
> (which
> Word sometimes calls highlighting) is not user-customizable.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> "Charles Gollop" <Charles Gol...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> messagenews:61C74D21-40F7-4AB4-93AF-14CD74860E20@microsoft.com...
>

> > This applies to Word 2007. I saw the previous answer from you Danish
> > MVP,
> > however when I go into the Find & Replace function, the Find item is
> > highlighted in blue even thought the font highlight colour is yellow.
> > The
> > only time the Find item is highlighted in yellow is if the option
> > 'Reading
> > Highlight -> Highlight All' is selected. I would like to change the
> > highlight
> > colour only where there next Find item is selected, which is the default
> > of
> > the Find & Replace function.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Charles-

0
Reply Suzanne 2/1/2010 4:30:40 PM

I thought about that too, but I decided it wasn't possible, so I never
actually tested. Now I have tested it, and it seems to be customizable via
Control Panel. I don't know about more recent versions of the operating
system, but in Windows XP it's on the Appearance tab of the Display
Properties dialog box: click the Advanced button, choose "Selected Items" in
the list box, and specify the desired colors (one for text and one for the
background).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
> This may well be possible in Windows as well but, as you say, not for Word
> exclusively.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> http://word.mvps.org
>
> "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@verizon.net> wrote in message
> (You could change it in Mac OS, at least up to OS 9, but it's not
> application-specific.)
>
> On Feb 1, 9:10 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
>> You are confusing "highlight" with "select" (and Word's labels don't help
>> with this). As Stefan has pointed out, the color used to select items
>> (which
>> Word sometimes calls highlighting) is not user-customizable.
>>
>> --
>> Suzanne S. Barnhill
>> Microsoft MVP (Word)
>> Words into Type
>> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Charles Gollop" <Charles Gol...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:61C74D21-40F7-4AB4-93AF-14CD74860E20@microsoft.com...
>>

>> > This applies to Word 2007. I saw the previous answer from you Danish
>> > MVP,
>> > however when I go into the Find & Replace function, the Find item is
>> > highlighted in blue even thought the font highlight colour is yellow.
>> > The
>> > only time the Find item is highlighted in yellow is if the option
>> > 'Reading
>> > Highlight -> Highlight All' is selected. I would like to change the
>> > highlight
>> > colour only where there next Find item is selected, which is the
>> > default
>> > of
>> > the Find & Replace function.
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Charles-

0
Reply Stefan 2/1/2010 7:38:59 PM

In Vista it's Control Panel > Personalization > Window Color and
Appearance > Advanced > Selected items.

I chose the bright red. In Google Groups it makes the highlight color
bright red; in Word it makes the highlight color pink.

There was a fairly long period of "Please Wait" while it thought about
doing it.

If I remember, I'll check it in Windows 7 the next time I use the
laptop.

On Feb 1, 2:39=A0pm, "Stefan Blom"
<StefanB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I thought about that too, but I decided it wasn't possible, so I never
> actually tested. Now I have tested it, and it seems to be customizable vi=
> Control Panel. I don't know about more recent versions of the operating
> system, but in Windows XP it's on the Appearance tab of the Display
> Properties dialog box: click the Advanced button, choose "Selected Items"=
 in
> the list box, and specify the desired colors (one for text and one for th=
> background).
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote in messagenews:%23nyAEx1=
oKHA.5260@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> > This may well be possible in Windows as well but, as you say, not for W=
ord
> > exclusively.
>
> > --
> > Suzanne S. Barnhill
> > Microsoft MVP (Word)
> > Words into Type
> > Fairhope, Alabama USA
> >http://word.mvps.org
>
> > "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote in message
..
> > (You could change it in Mac OS, at least up to OS 9, but it's not
> > application-specific.)
>
> > On Feb 1, 9:10 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> >> You are confusing "highlight" with "select" (and Word's labels don't h=
elp
> >> with this). As Stefan has pointed out, the color used to select items
> >> (which
> >> Word sometimes calls highlighting) is not user-customizable.
>
> >> --
> >> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> >> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> >> Words into Type
> >> Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org
>
> >> "Charles Gollop" <Charles Gol...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> messagenews:61C74D21-40F7-4AB4-93AF-14CD74860E20@microsoft.com...

0
Reply Peter 2/1/2010 9:40:27 PM

Thank you for this additional information. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

________________________________
In Vista it's Control Panel > Personalization > Window Color and
Appearance > Advanced > Selected items.

I chose the bright red. In Google Groups it makes the highlight color
bright red; in Word it makes the highlight color pink.

There was a fairly long period of "Please Wait" while it thought about
doing it.

If I remember, I'll check it in Windows 7 the next time I use the
laptop.

On Feb 1, 2:39 pm, "Stefan Blom"
<StefanB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I thought about that too, but I decided it wasn't possible, so I never
> actually tested. Now I have tested it, and it seems to be customizable via
> Control Panel. I don't know about more recent versions of the operating
> system, but in Windows XP it's on the Appearance tab of the Display
> Properties dialog box: click the Advanced button, choose "Selected Items"
> in
> the list box, and specify the desired colors (one for text and one for the
> background).
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>
> "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote in
> messagenews:%23nyAEx1oKHA.5260@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>

> > This may well be possible in Windows as well but, as you say, not for
> > Word
> > exclusively.
>
> > --
> > Suzanne S. Barnhill
> > Microsoft MVP (Word)
> > Words into Type
> > Fairhope, Alabama USA
> >http://word.mvps.org
>
> > "Peter T. Daniels" <gramma...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > (You could change it in Mac OS, at least up to OS 9, but it's not
> > application-specific.)
>
> > On Feb 1, 9:10 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnh...@mvps.org> wrote:
> >> You are confusing "highlight" with "select" (and Word's labels don't
> >> help
> >> with this). As Stefan has pointed out, the color used to select items
> >> (which
> >> Word sometimes calls highlighting) is not user-customizable.
>
> >> --
> >> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> >> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> >> Words into Type