How can I cross out a word or a letter?

  • Follow

I am trying to "x out" words and letters for a special effect, that is
superimposing an "X" over something already written.  I am using Office XP -
MS Word 2002.  Strikethroughs and redacting won't do (I don't think redacting
is supported on Word 2002 anyway.)  Thanks!
0
Reply Utf 2/25/2010 6:26:04 AM

You could use an EQ field, but the problem that you are going to encounter
with proportionally spaced fonts is that of determining how many Xs to use
for a given piece of text as clearly x takes up more space than (say) i. The
longer the string, the greater the discrepancy is likely to be. The best you
are likely to achieve without manual adjustment is to use a macro e.g.

Dim oRng As Range
Dim i As Integer
Dim xStr As String, sAsk As String
Set oRng = Selection.Range
xStr = ""
For i = 1 To oRng.Characters.Count
    xStr = xStr & "x"
Next i
sAsk = MsgBox("Click Yes to over-write the selected text." & vbCr & _
"Click No to replace selected text", vbYesNoCancel, "Overstrike")
Select Case sAsk
    Case vbYes
        oRng.Fields.Add oRng, wdFieldFormula, _
        "\o (" & oRng.Text & Chr(44) & xStr & ")", _
        False
    Case vbNo
        oRng.Text = xStr
    Case Else
        Exit Sub
End Select

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"culture lover" <culture lover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to "x out" words and letters for a special effect, that is
> superimposing an "X" over something already written.  I am using Office
> XP -
> MS Word 2002.  Strikethroughs and redacting won't do (I don't think
> redacting
> is supported on Word 2002 anyway.)  Thanks!

0
Reply Graham 2/25/2010 9:08:24 AM

(page loaded in 0.032 seconds)

Reply: