Getting rid of header after first page

  • Follow

Hi!

I´m working on a document with about ten (10) pages.

On the first page I have a header with date, name address, phone, email
address and so on. I don´t want to have that header in the following pages so
I searched for help on how to get rid of those headers.

I got the information that first I have to insert a Section Break so I did
that after the first page (I´m able to see the "marks" of the Section Break).

Beeing on page 2 I then selected "Header", marked all the text and pressed
"Delete". The header on page 2 was gone but also the header on page 1. What
error did I make?

Any help to solve this problem are very much appreciated.

0
Reply Utf 3/9/2010 11:23:01 AM

If you only want the header on the first page, you don't need to add a
section. Instead, first select and cut the header contents, then enable
"Different first page" (in the Page Setup dialog box) and finally paste the
header contents back into the first header.

When you have multiple sections, note that you cannot change the contents of
a single header (footer) until you have unlinked its contents from those of
the corresponding header (footer) of the preceding section. On the Header
and Footer toolbar (Word 97-2003) or the Header & Footer Tools Design tab,
click to deselect Link to Previous (in some versions the command is called
Same as Previous). To clarify further: For a section with multiple types of
headers and footers (first page, even page, odd page) must be unlinked
separately.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"berane" <berane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I�m working on a document with about ten (10) pages.
>
> On the first page I have a header with date, name address, phone, email
> address and so on. I don�t want to have that header in the following pages
> so
> I searched for help on how to get rid of those headers.
>
> I got the information that first I have to insert a Section Break so I did
> that after the first page (I�m able to see the "marks" of the Section
> Break).
>
> Beeing on page 2 I then selected "Header", marked all the text and pressed
> "Delete". The header on page 2 was gone but also the header on page 1.
> What
> error did I make?
>
> Any help to solve this problem are very much appreciated.

0
Reply Stefan 3/9/2010 11:37:26 AM

Stefan Blom - thanks for your swift reply, it saved my day!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> If you only want the header on the first page, you don't need to add a
> section. Instead, first select and cut the header contents, then enable
> "Different first page" (in the Page Setup dialog box) and finally paste the
> header contents back into the first header.
>
> When you have multiple sections, note that you cannot change the contents of
> a single header (footer) until you have unlinked its contents from those of
> the corresponding header (footer) of the preceding section. On the Header
> and Footer toolbar (Word 97-2003) or the Header & Footer Tools Design tab,
> click to deselect Link to Previous (in some versions the command is called
> Same as Previous). To clarify further: For a section with multiple types of
> headers and footers (first page, even page, odd page) must be unlinked
> separately.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "berane" <berane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I´m working on a document with about ten (10) pages.
> >
> > On the first page I have a header with date, name address, phone, email
> > address and so on. I don´t want to have that header in the following pages
> > so
> > I searched for help on how to get rid of those headers.
> >
> > I got the information that first I have to insert a Section Break so I did
> > that after the first page (I´m able to see the "marks" of the Section
> > Break).
> >
> > Beeing on page 2 I then selected "Header", marked all the text and pressed
> > "Delete". The header on page 2 was gone but also the header on page 1.
> > What
> > error did I make?
> >
> > Any help to solve this problem are very much appreciated.
> >

> .

0
Reply Utf 3/9/2010 1:12:01 PM

I'm glad I could help!

For more on headers and footers, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

--

> Stefan Blom - thanks for your swift reply, it saved my day!
>
> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>
>> If you only want the header on the first page, you don't need to add a
>> section. Instead, first select and cut the header contents, then enable
>> "Different first page" (in the Page Setup dialog box) and finally paste
>> the
>> header contents back into the first header.
>>
>> When you have multiple sections, note that you cannot change the contents
>> of
>> a single header (footer) until you have unlinked its contents from those
>> of
>> the corresponding header (footer) of the preceding section. On the Header
>> and Footer toolbar (Word 97-2003) or the Header & Footer Tools Design
>> tab,
>> click to deselect Link to Previous (in some versions the command is
>> called
>> Same as Previous). To clarify further: For a section with multiple types
>> of
>> headers and footers (first page, even page, odd page) must be unlinked
>> separately.
>>
>> --
>> Stefan Blom
>> Microsoft Word MVP
>>

>> "berane" <berane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I�m working on a document with about ten (10) pages.
>> >
>> > On the first page I have a header with date, name address, phone, email
>> > address and so on. I don�t want to have that header in the following
>> > pages
>> > so
>> > I searched for help on how to get rid of those headers.
>> >
>> > I got the information that first I have to insert a Section Break so I
>> > did
>> > that after the first page (I�m able to see the "marks" of the Section
>> > Break).
>> >
>> > Beeing on page 2 I then selected "Header", marked all the text and
>> > pressed
>> > "Delete". The header on page 2 was gone but also the header on page 1.
>> > What
>> > error did I make?
>> >
>> > Any help to solve this problem are very much appreciated.
>> >

>> .

0
Reply Stefan 3/9/2010 1:23:25 PM

And for letterhead-type applications:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Stefan Blom" <StefanBlom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm glad I could help!
>
> For more on headers and footers, see
> http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "berane" <berane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Stefan Blom - thanks for your swift reply, it saved my day!
>>
>> "Stefan Blom" wrote:
>>
>>> If you only want the header on the first page, you don't need to add a
>>> section. Instead, first select and cut the header contents, then enable
>>> "Different first page" (in the Page Setup dialog box) and finally paste
>>> the
>>> header contents back into the first header.
>>>
>>> When you have multiple sections, note that you cannot change the
>>> contents of
>>> a single header (footer) until you have unlinked its contents from those
>>> of
>>> the corresponding header (footer) of the preceding section. On the
>>> Header
>>> and Footer toolbar (Word 97-2003) or the Header & Footer Tools Design
>>> tab,
>>> click to deselect Link to Previous (in some versions the command is
>>> called
>>> Same as Previous). To clarify further: For a section with multiple types
>>> of
>>> headers and footers (first page, even page, odd page) must be unlinked
>>> separately.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Stefan Blom
>>> Microsoft Word MVP