'Underscript' not available in Word 2007

  • Follow

'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in Word
2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly used
in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A
has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as A_underscore_(2x3).
Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or below.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
how? Thanks in advance.

Ed
0
Reply Utf 1/4/2010 4:43:01 PM

ed,

I find subscript on the ribbon-> Home tab-> font, its an x2(subscripted) you
can also use ctrl + =
hope that helps.
"Ed" wrote:

> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in Word
> 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly used
> in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A
> has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as A_underscore_(2x3).
> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or below.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
> how? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ed
0
Reply Utf 1/4/2010 5:20:01 PM

Hi Ed,

Clicking on the Matrix button opens a gallery of matrix "templates." One of
these "templates" appears as two vertically arranged boxes (one is above the
other). If you insert this "template" into your equation, you can then insert
anything, even a matrix, into the upper box and an underscript into the lower
box.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Ed" wrote:

> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in Word
> 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly used
> in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A
> has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as A_underscore_(2x3).
> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or below.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
> how? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ed
0
Reply Utf 1/4/2010 5:33:01 PM

The dimension of a matrix is normally expressed in a subscript next to the
element and not directly below the element.

To have it directly next to the element, you can use the Script button.

I'm not sure if there is a button to put the dimension directly below the
element, but you can easily enter it manually (linear mode). Just type

\below
space
2x3
space

Now 2x3 should appear as a subscript with an empty box on top where you can
write your A.

Yves

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in
> Word
> 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly
> used
> in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A
> has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as
> A_underscore_(2x3).
> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or below.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
> how? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ed

0
Reply Yves 1/4/2010 6:44:37 PM

Ed, the "old Equation Editor version 3" is still available in Word
2007. It's on the Insert tab, in the Text group. Click Object, and the
rest will look familiar.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor

On  4-Jan-2010, Ed wrote:

> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations
> in Word 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a
> character is commonly used in scientific text for denoting the
> dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A has two rows and 3
> columns, it is common to write it as A_underscore_(2x3).
> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3
> or below.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word
> 2007? If so, how? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ed
0
Reply Bob 1/4/2010 6:44:47 PM

This will most likely result in misalignment with the rest of your equation.
Anything you would add after the two vertically arranged boxes would be
'centered' wrt those boxes. And you would probably have to write the
subscript as a superscript in the box at the bottom or it would be too far
away from the top box.

Yves

"Pesach Shelnitz" <pesach18(AT)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ed,
>
> Clicking on the Matrix button opens a gallery of matrix "templates." One
> of
> these "templates" appears as two vertically arranged boxes (one is above
> the
> other). If you insert this "template" into your equation, you can then
> insert
> anything, even a matrix, into the upper box and an underscript into the
> lower
> box.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
> Pesach Shelnitz
> My Web site: http://makeofficework.com
>

> "Ed" wrote:
>
>> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in
>> Word
>> 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly
>> used
>> in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix
>> has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as
>> A_underscore_(2x3).
>> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or
>> below.
>>
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
>> how? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Ed

0
Reply Yves 1/4/2010 6:53:25 PM