'Underscript' not available in Word 2007

'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in Word
2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly used
in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A
has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as A_underscore_(2x3).
Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or below.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
how? Thanks in advance.

Ed

ed,

I find subscript on the ribbon-> Home tab-> font, its an x2(subscripted) you
can also use ctrl + =
hope that helps.
"Ed" wrote:

> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in Word
> 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly used
> in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A
> has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as A_underscore_(2x3).
> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or below.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
> how? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ed
Hi Ed,

Clicking on the Matrix button opens a gallery of matrix "templates." One of
these "templates" appears as two vertically arranged boxes (one is above the
other). If you insert this "template" into your equation, you can then insert
anything, even a matrix, into the upper box and an underscript into the lower
box.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Ed" wrote:

> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in Word
> 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly used
> in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A
> has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as A_underscore_(2x3).
> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or below.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
> how? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ed
The dimension of a matrix is normally expressed in a subscript next to the
element and not directly below the element.

To have it directly next to the element, you can use the Script button.

I'm not sure if there is a button to put the dimension directly below the
element, but you can easily enter it manually (linear mode). Just type

\below
space
2x3
space

Now 2x3 should appear as a subscript with an empty box on top where you can
write your A.

Yves

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in
> Word
> 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly
> used
> in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A
> has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as
> A_underscore_(2x3).
> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or below.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
> how? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ed

0
Yves
1/4/2010 6:44:37 PM
Ed, the "old Equation Editor version 3" is still available in Word
2007. It's on the Insert tab, in the Text group. Click Object, and the
rest will look familiar.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor

On  4-Jan-2010, Ed wrote:

> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations
> in Word 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a
> character is commonly used in scientific text for denoting the
> dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A has two rows and 3
> columns, it is common to write it as A_underscore_(2x3).
> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3
> or below.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word
> 2007? If so, how? Thanks in advance.
>
> Ed
0
Bob
1/4/2010 6:44:47 PM
This will most likely result in misalignment with the rest of your equation.
Anything you would add after the two vertically arranged boxes would be
'centered' wrt those boxes. And you would probably have to write the
subscript as a superscript in the box at the bottom or it would be too far
away from the top box.

Yves

"Pesach Shelnitz" <pesach18(AT)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ed,
>
> Clicking on the Matrix button opens a gallery of matrix "templates." One
> of
> these "templates" appears as two vertically arranged boxes (one is above
> the
> other). If you insert this "template" into your equation, you can then
> insert
> anything, even a matrix, into the upper box and an underscript into the
> lower
> box.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
> Pesach Shelnitz
> My Web site: http://makeofficework.com
>

> "Ed" wrote:
>
>> 'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in
>> Word
>> 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly
>> used
>> in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix
>> has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as
>> A_underscore_(2x3).
>> Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or
>> below.
>>
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so,
>> how? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Ed

0
Yves

Opening xls files in word
When I open an excel file it opens in word. If I open Excel and then open the file it opens properly. How do I change the default to open all excel files in excel? Rich Rich, Open up Windows Explorer, click the 'Tools' toolbar and then 'Folder Options...'. Click the 'File Types' tab, and scroll down to find the XLS file extension. Highlight "XLS" - I think it will say that it's set to open with Microsoft Word. If so, click the 'Change' button and set it to open with Microsoft Ex...

Themes not available
I have been searching for Publisher templates in the MS website and have found themes in the Data Sheet templates named "Pattern", "Collage", "Close -up" . I should really like these design sets but cant find any reference to them other than in these Data Sheet templates. I have Small Business 2003 with XP (SP2), and they are Publisher 2003 templates. Could anyone kindly tell me if I can get hold of these themes anywhere please? Why not download them and adapt them to your project? As near as I can ascertain these templates are unique. The "Collage&q...

Report Manager available with XP?
Using Small Business 2002, I've discoverd I'd like to use the add-in Report Manager. However on the download page, XP is not listed as a operating system. Will it work? Is there another option? Thanks from Matt. Hi try downloading the older version. It should also work for Excel XP -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Using Small Business 2002, I've discoverd I'd like to use > the add-in Report Manager. However on the download page, > XP is not listed as a operating system. Will it work? > Is there anot...

Using Word as Email editor #2
Greetings, Anyone know why "Use word as my email editor" would be greyed out when using Office 2003? Thanks in advance, P Because you are not running Outlook 2003. They have to be running the same version for that feature to work. "Support" <support@techeads.com> wrote in message news:c8fb94a5.0408311419.4d8b8bec@posting.google.com... > Greetings, > Anyone know why "Use word as my email editor" would be greyed out > when using Office 2003? > Thanks in advance, > P I have the entire suite ... outlook 2003 and word 2003. "Megan Ki...

Problems opening newer Word documents
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel After installing the latest software update this morning, I'm unable to open newer versions of Word documents. When clicking it asks if I want to convert, after confirming, it keeps on giving error message 'There is not enough memory of disk space to convert this message'. I was able to open the same documents yesterday. (p.s. I have enough disk space left) The first thing I would try is a power-off reboot. That error indicates that one of the software modules has not dropped in to place. Rebo...

Editing Word 2007 menu that was created in Word 2003
I have created a menu in a word 2003 template, using the template in word 2007 allows me to use the menu as an add-in menu, can't see how to edit the menu? I would be keen to create more for the quick access toolbar Would I have to go back to word 2003? HELP !!! Yes, you will need to make the modifications in Word 2003. To see what you will need to do to get both versions to co-exist without issues, see the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website: http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm However, customizing the ribbon in 2007 is really the w...

Weird message when opening Word 2007
Since upgrading to Windows 7, I'm getting a strange message when I open Word 2007, which I never got using previous Windows versions. It says: Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable. When I click the OK button, Word opens up and there does not seem to be any problems, but I'd like to get rid of these messages. How can I do that? When Word starts it needs to create a raft of temporary files - some in the working folder, others in the User's temporary folder. The message suggests that Word cannot locate the temporary folder or that it c...

Exchange 2007 transport rule #2
Hello all I need to crerate a transport rule that will display a disclamer text in all outbound emails. Adding in the text part is a no brainer, but i also need to add in the disclamer a .gif image, but i dont know how i can add the image to the disclamer. Thanks ...

Encrypted Outlook 2007 pst file
Hi All, I wondered if anyone here can help resolve a problem I have. I have just done a format and reinstall of my PC and have moved from using windows mail to Outlook 2007. I am using Vista 32. I have imported all of my old messages from windows mail and these now appear in outlook. I have bought PSTSync as I wish to sync email between desktop and laptop. The problem is when i try to do this using the PSTSync programme it tells me that the outlook file is encypted and that i need the key. I havent ever used encyption so i assume that this has been done by default. This being the case can...

2007 EEO-1 Report Requirements
Does anyone know if the new requirements for the 2007 EEO-1 report will be available for download at year-end? I just replied to a post from 7/19/06 by jnason on this same topic in the hopes that it would generate a response from MS. I haven't been able to find anything on CustomerSource about it and my HR dept is starting to get antsy. Doug "Elaine" wrote: > Does anyone know if the new requirements for the 2007 EEO-1 report will be > available for download at year-end? ...

Outlook 2007 attach file default folder
Hello, When I want to attach a file to a message, I am always pointed to Libraries\Documents I would like to change this location to somewhere else (C:\Documents\) This was done in Outlook 2003 by editing registry, however same trick does not work for 2007. Is it possible in 2007? Thank you for your advice ...

Item is available on the website
What does checking the "Item is available on the website" box do? Is there then an export of data that can be done to upload to our website? Please help as we are just re-doing our website and would ideally like to use the details from RMS to set up the items on our site. anyone with experience linking the two, please help. Chris I'm sure you'll get specific RMS functionality responses to your question, but I can tell you that I spent some time and money on a shopping card program (called Taber Pro) that use d this function. If you checked that box for items, th...

make Analytical Account available for Integration Manager
Analytical Accounting tables should be available for import with Integraion manager for all series. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=4bb02ac5-b44e-46a8-a92d-...

Create message box not available in Outlook Web
When using Outlook Web if I attempt to create a new message, I cannot type the message because the space where I would do this is greyed out witha red X in the corner. How can I solve this? Version of Windows, IE and OWA? See http://www.slipstick.com/exs/winxpsp2.htm and http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2007/up070104.htm#owa -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newslett...

Word: replace ... ... with space
For Word - I need to replace the following: ... ... with one space. I have a lot of these ... ... 's throughout a document and they all need to be replaced by one space. How do I do this with "search and replace?" Because nothing I do seems to work. try Sub replaceit() For Each c In Selection c.Value = Application.Substitute(c, ".", "") Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Birdtoes" <Birdtoes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10017F2E-C2CA-416B-A3E7-DC93521D85B2@microsoft.com... > For Word...

Problems with inserting Word doc in Excel
Hi, I am using MS Excel 2000 SR1. When I insert a Word document as an object in my worksheet (Insert->Object->Create from File), I notice that Excel imports only the first page of the document. Is there a way to overcome this problem ? Thanks and regards, Viral. Only the first page of an embedded Word object will be visible, and there's no way to change this setting. You could split the Word document into multiple files, and insert each one separately into Excel. Viral A wrote: > I am using MS Excel 2000 SR1. > > When I insert a Word document as an object in my w...

Cannot open word files outside word
Reinstalled Office 2003 on a recent Windows 7 upgrade. When clicking on a word file, word opens and the following message appears "There was a problem sending the command to the program". The file does not open. Excell files open in Excell, Powerpoint files open in Powerpoint. If I open Word first, then I can open the file within word. Any ideas? See the article "How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm Or, in Windows Explorer, right click on a Word document and select Open Wit...

Contact Reports Available for Download
We moved from Outlook to CRM for our contact management. We do not use accounts, but only contacts. There are NO reports for contacts. If we get a request to simply print out the addresses for our contacts, you can only print the preview (must manually adjust column headers and hope that it all fits on one page) or export to excel (but then have to customize the adv find window to add all the fields you would need) and hope that the user can get excel to print properly. S Does CRM not have the simple ability to print a range of contact's addresses like Outlook could? ...

Comparing 2 worksheets in Excel 2007
I am trying to compare 2 worksheets in a large workbook. One sheet is named 1st Proposed HMIs. The other is named 2nd Proposed HMIs. Both spreadsheets are exactly the same. I would like to compare the 2nd sheet with the 1st sheet and have Excel highlight or shade any cell that has changed or different data in the 2nd sheet. Any ideas? Thanks! Try this: http://www.softinterface.com/MD/Document-Comparison-Software.htm Or, this code: Sub Compare2Shts() For Each Cell In Worksheets("CompareSheet#1").UsedRange If Cell.Value <> Worksheets("CompareSheet#2")....

access email messages from multiple pc using outlook 2007
I want to leave my message on my internet providers so that I can access my messages from more than one pc I heard you could do that with outlook 2007 Account options->advanced->leave message on server. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, txv16b asked: | I want to leave my message on my internet providers so that I can | access my messages from more than one pc I heard you could do...

Display number in words
Hi, Can any of you help me with this? I have an Application for Fund Tranfer to be sent to the bank to make a payment. When I put the amount of money, I would like another cell to display that amount in words. Thanks in advance, Thuy See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Thuy" <bbluechipp@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cc8b73fb.0411090051.51961055@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Can any of you help me with this? > > I have an Application for Fund Tranfer to be sent t...

get home addresses from Outlook on an envelope in Word 2000
I cannot get home addresses from Outlook 2000 into Word to be printed on an envelope. In the Word "Envelopes and Labels" dialog box, the contact's name appears in the "Delivery Address:" text box, but not the address. The home address is checked as the default address in the address book. I've looked all over in options, etc. to fix this. What can I do? Most likely you aren't using the full version of Outlook. The Insert Address function in Word will default to the business address when importing from the Outlook Address book in the Internet Mail Only ...

'Underscript' not available in Word 2007
'Underscript' is missing from the new built-in support for equations in Word 2007. An underscript that appears directly below a character is commonly used in scientific text for denoting the dimension of a matrix. Say, a matrix A has two rows and 3 columns, it is common to write it as A_underscore_(2x3). Underscript was available from the old Equation Editor version 3 or below. Does anyone know if it is possible to do underscript in Word 2007? If so, how? Thanks in advance. Ed ed, I find subscript on the ribbon-> Home tab-> font, its an x2(subscripted) you ...

Mail Merge from Outlook to Word
I have upgraded to Word 2007 & outlook 2007. I used to be able to do a mail merge from Outlook 2002 to Word 2002 by creating a category group in Outlook and have that group as a customised view and do a mail merger from outlook for all contacts in the current view to be merged into a word Doc. Is this still available? Now when I try this Word will only allow all contacts to be listed for the mail merge, not the Current View fields selected in Outlook . The Mail merge filter option in Word only lists the contacts fields not a category field. The help files on this subje...

Count down to Words / Text
Hello, Is there a way to have a cell that is counting down from "10" and when it hits "0" spell the word FULL and in Red? example: cell BB10 has a formula in it: =COUNTA(H10:AV10) cell BB8 has a formula in it: =SUM(10-BB10) NOTE: there are only 10 entities max in cells H10 through AV10 and that is why I subtract BB10 from 10. I want cell BB8 to reflect the word ALL when there is 10 and FULL when the countdown hits "0" Can this be done? Thanks, Champ Try this....... =IF(SUM(10-BB10)=10,"ALL",IF(SUM(10-BB10)=0,&qu...