word doc opening as symbols and not readable text

I wrote a document in word 03 and saved it to my usb. It saved as a word doc
but when i took my usb to open it on another computer to print it opens as a
bunch of symbols. I went back to the same computer i saved it from and it
still will not open as readable text. What can i do to recover it and is
there any way to recover it

You've just learnt a tough lesson. NEVER work in Word directly with any type
of removable media: it is the number 1 method of corrupting documents.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"studentneedshelp" <studentneedshelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:9A8EF9DA-351E-4981-BB5C-D1488DD76592@microsoft.com...
> I wrote a document in word 03 and saved it to my usb. It saved as a word
> doc
> but when i took my usb to open it on another computer to print it opens as
> bunch of symbols. I went back to the same computer i saved it from and it
> still will not open as readable text. What can i do to recover it and is
> there any way to recover it

0
Terry

Printing WORD docs from a form

HELP!! Publisher won't open
I have Publisher 2000. When I click on the icon on the desktop, the program opens to the catalog page. When I click on 'existing files'. the program closes down. I can open the existing file in Windows Explorer, but as soon as I click on something, it closes down. This is a relatively new computer running Windows XP Media Center. I have been able to access my existing file before on this system. Can someone please help? Can you open Publisher in Safe Mode? Do you have a default printer enabled? Insert your 2000 disk, select repair. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.micros...

error in opening tif attachments
when attempting to open a tif format attachment sent to my outlook email, it is being opened in word and the document is no longer readable. Need help in correcting this problem ...

How do I change default font size for inserting text in ppt 07
Every time I add a text box to a page, it comes in ariel 54pt. HUGE! I want to reset the default to somethng like 24pt. How do I do this? PPT2007 Hi Set a text box the way you want it then right click -> set as default text box. Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "PAH555" <PAH555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:501FF5A2-344F-4298-BF8D-1FD903341235@microsoft.com... > Every time I add a text box to a page, it comes in ariel 54pt. HUGE! I > want > to reset the defa...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Where are my saved word?

Is full-text catalog needed?
I recently upgraded our SQL server that hosts CRM from 2000 to 2005 and I was getting errors whenever trying to do a full database backup of of the MSCRM database. It was erroring out on the Full-Text catalog. I got around this error by changing my backup from a full "database" backup to a full "File or Filegroup" backup and excluding the full-text catalog. I then learned that I could enable full-text indexing in order to stop getting errors on the full database backup. My question is, do I need to have full-text catalog enabled? We dont use KB articles. And what i...

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Convert text to text
Hi, I have a list of funds from 2 different companies. I have to manully type in one list, different order everyday and out of 25 about 15 are present. Need help with how to fill in formula do get that automated? Any link or article will do. Not clear from your description what you have and what you need. We know you have a list of funds. What and where are you typing? What do you mean by 15 out of 25 are present? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 12:10:26 -0800 (PST), BetaDocuments <betadocuments@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a list of funds from ...

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

Excel documents not displayed when excel is opened
When I open excel and select file and open documents that I've saved are not displayed, however if I go into my most recent documents these documents are displayed. Why are they not being displayed in excel vs. my most recent documents? -- rabhatty Depending on how you opened the file and the version of excel, not every file that you worked on appears at the bottom of the File dropdown (in the Most Recently Used file list). Files that are opened by doubleclicking in windows explorer under xl2k (IIRC) won't appear. (xl2002 (I think) changed this behavior.) You may want to post ...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

Why can't I see all the text in a cell?
I am entering text into a cell. It is a rather large string of sentences. I can not view the entire content of the cell unless I strike F2 to edit. I have tried to auto fit the row, but that does not work either. The text is not able to be viewed in Print preview, nor does it show in hard copy. Any ideas? This is in the help file:- Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. "woody" wrote: > I am entering text into a cell. It is a rather large string of sentences. I > can not view the e...

Import HTML Form Data in Multiple Email (multiple text files)
PROBLEM: I have an HTML form on a webpage that submits (posts) the form data results to me via email. I now have hundreds of emails (.eml files from Windows Live Mail) in a folder on my desktop that contain newsletter signup data from people wanting to join my mailing list. These are names, email addresses, phone numbers, and some check box information. The data is in the body of the messages in the following format: Field 1: User Entry 1 Field 2: User Entry 2 Field 3: User Entry 3 SOLUTION NEEDED: I need a way to automate importation of the data from the text inside thes...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...

How can I open a .sxc file in excel?
Just that. How can I open this file from StarOffice. You cannot but surely StarOffice lets you save in XLS format If you do not have StarOffice you may need to send the file to someone who has it and get them to save it as Excel -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "StarOffice Files" <StarOffice Files @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1A4F6CE-7AB8-4C1F-83B7-E0B1C6A26618@microsoft.com... > Just that. How can I open this file from StarOffice. ...