Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error

Hi there,

One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error
message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document.

1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save
button.
2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a
"Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the
document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where
the file already exists.
3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it
will overwrite and save properly. But on other save occurrences it will
randomly show the error message "Word cannot complete the save due to a file
permission error".
4. User will continue to attempt to save until it works.

The user is running Windows 7 32-bit Enterprise, Office 2007 Professional
Plus, and Trend Micro Worry Free Business 6.0 all with the latest updates and
patches.

The file in question is stored locally on the users c: hard drive in a sub
folder within his My Documents; it is not stored on a removable media device.

The file does not have the 'read only' attribute selected, and the user is
the owner of the document will full control permissions.

It occurs with multiple Word documents and there seems to be no pattern.

I am experiencing the exact same error, not just with word but powerpoint and
excel too. I havent been able to find any solutions as yet, but will update
this post if I do.

"WayDS" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error
> message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document.
>
> 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save
> button.
> 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a
> "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the
> document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where
> the file already exists.
> 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it
> will overwrite and save properly. But on other save occurrences it will
> randomly show the error message "Word cannot complete the save due to a file
> permission error".
> 4. User will continue to attempt to save until it works.
>
> The user is running Windows 7 32-bit Enterprise, Office 2007 Professional
> Plus, and Trend Micro Worry Free Business 6.0 all with the latest updates and
> patches.
>
> The file in question is stored locally on the users c: hard drive in a sub
> folder within his My Documents; it is not stored on a removable media device.
>
> The file does not have the 'read only' attribute selected, and the user is
> the owner of the document will full control permissions.
>
> It occurs with multiple Word documents and there seems to be no pattern.
Try uninstalling Windows Search. This problem occured in many scenerios for
me. Windows 7 64 bit / Office 2010 Beta and Windows 7 32 bit Office 2007. In
all instances the problem has gone away.

"Mike" wrote:

> I am experiencing the exact same error, not just with word but powerpoint and
> excel too. I havent been able to find any solutions as yet, but will update
> this post if I do.
>
> "WayDS" wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error
> > message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document.
> >
> > 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save
> > button.
> > 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a
> > "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the
> > document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where
> > the file already exists.
> > 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it
> > will overwrite and save properly. But on other save occurrences it will
> > randomly show the error message "Word cannot complete the save due to a file
> > permission error".
> > 4. User will continue to attempt to save until it works.
> >
> > The user is running Windows 7 32-bit Enterprise, Office 2007 Professional
> > Plus, and Trend Micro Worry Free Business 6.0 all with the latest updates and
> > patches.
> >
> > The file in question is stored locally on the users c: hard drive in a sub
> > folder within his My Documents; it is not stored on a removable media device.
> >
> > The file does not have the 'read only' attribute selected, and the user is
> > the owner of the document will full control permissions.
> >
> > It occurs with multiple Word documents and there seems to be no pattern.
Same issue here.

I figured out that if I shut down Trend Micro Internet Security, the problem goes away. I then tried reactivating Trend Micro and instead adding winword.exe to the exceptions list but that didn't work.

I'm still at a loss with figuring out which part of Trend Micro I need to *safely* shut down.

Also, I'm willing to shut down Windows Search. Can someone tell me how I might do that?
0
freshflame
4/3/2010 7:25:16 AM
I don't really see that Windows Search has anything to do with the problem.
My advice is to dump Trend and install the free Microsoft Security
Essentials.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"freshflame" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> Same issue here.
>
> I figured out that if I shut down Trend Micro Internet Security, the
> problem goes away. I then tried reactivating Trend Micro and instead
> adding winword.exe to the exceptions list but that didn't work.
>
> I'm still at a loss with figuring out which part of Trend Micro I need to
> *safely* shut down.
>
> Also, I'm willing to shut down Windows Search. Can someone tell me how I
> might do that?
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Word-cannot-complete-the-save-due-to-a-file-permission

0
Terry
4/3/2010 11:24:08 AM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and frequently run into the same problem.
 (Windows 7 32bit all updates applied)

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> I don't really see that Windows Search has anything to do with the problem.
> My advice is to dump Trend and install the free Microsoft Security
> Essentials.
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
>
> "freshflame" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> > Same issue here.
> >
> > I figured out that if I shut down Trend Micro Internet Security, the
> > problem goes away. I then tried reactivating Trend Micro and instead
> > adding winword.exe to the exceptions list but that didn't work.
> >
> > I'm still at a loss with figuring out which part of Trend Micro I need to
> > *safely* shut down.
> >
> > Also, I'm willing to shut down Windows Search. Can someone tell me how I
> > might do that?
> >
> > ---
> > frmsrcurl:
> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Word-cannot-complete-the-save-due-to-a-file-permission
>
> .

where is that save data feature for backup?
Hi All, On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for my life I can not remember where it was. :'[ Many thanks, -T ToddAndMargo (ToddAndMargo@invalid.com) writes: > On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data > to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this > on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for > my life I can not remember where it ...

Printing WORD docs from a form

Prevent users to save workbook
Hi, How to avoid users to save the workbook? I tried to protect workbook and protect worksheet, but doesn't work. Can anyone help? Thanks a lot! Terence Terence Place this code in the "ThisWorkbook" module Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub -- XL2002 Regards William willwest22@yahoo.com "Terence" <terence5070@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:06b701c36b8d$7961d000$a601280a@phx.gbl... | Hi, | | How to avoid users to save the workbook? I tried to | protect workbook and protect worksheet, bu...

HTML_CONTROL ERROR
I have an excel file with multiple sheets When I try to make a copy of a worksheet I get an error message "HTML_CONTROL already exists on the destination sheet" I've no idea how I caused this, but it sure is annoying Can anyone help" Thanks ...

Repost: "Save target as..." option
When I used to use Outlook Express, I could right click on links (to PDFs, pix, etc) in message bodies and select the option "Save target as...". This option doesn't appear to be available for links in emails in Outlook 2003, and I'd be grateful for advice on whether this is a feature of Outlook, or a setting I need to change in the options somewhere. TIA It is a setting in the OS and not Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without ...

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

Encoded Word Documents

Data, Group got error message Cannot shift object off sheet
I created a command grouping several columns together by going to Data, Group. When I go to click on the "-" sign to group. It gives me an error message;"Cannot shift object off sheet". Why? and how can I fix it. Maybe you have some objects that get rearranged when you hide the columns using your grouping symbols. This may have some suggestions that work for you. It's kind of a similar problem. XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 Remember to look for comments and merged ...

Does Office 2003 Pro Excel have auto-save?
I am trying to set up Auto save in Excel 2003 Pro. I found auto recovery but that is not what I am looking for. I think it may be an add-in. Thanks! ehop, From a previous post by Dave Peterson: If you're running xl2k or earlier, install the autosave addin via windows|Start button|settings|control panel|Add or remove programs If you're running xl2002+, then if you can find a copy of the autosave addin from an earlier version, it should work ok. But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as autosave, but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows c...

Where are my saved word?

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Error 0x800CCC0E
After installing XP, SP1 and all the latest patches, I receive the following message when sending eMail through Ooutlook Express. The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.charter.net', Server: 'smtp.charter.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I do NOT have the option to usee SSL with SMTP checked in the configuration. My eMail provider tells me that the latest patch broke my OE installation and that there is nothing they can do. Any help would be appreciated. > After installing XP, SP1 and ...

Why am I rebuilding OST file every 4 weeks???
This can be quite a pain when your inbox is a gigabyte or larger This is a major ???&*()$@#^ bug in Office 2003, but not the only one I have found. I want my money back. Your Inbox is over 1 Gig?... Make a PST or something... or are you trying to test the boundaries o what this program can and cant do ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Your Inbox is over 1 Gig?... Make a PST or something... or are you trying to test the boundaries of what this progr...

Import customizations SQL error
We have a CRM 3.0 rollup 1 test/prototype system using SQL 2005 SP1. I have exported out all the customizations which includes new entities. When I import them into a replicar new blank CRM system it generates a CRM error box saying SQL error. Please contact your system administrator. I've managed to do several imports, importing a small amount of entities in at a time. They have all gone in except for Opportunity, which I still receive the SQL error. I notice that looking at the opportunity form, that they have partly been imported in. The SQLERROR log file provides no help. What ...

Endless scrolling error
HI: I've encountered this at several GP v9 installations and my present users want to know what's up. Example: Click the spyglass to bring up let's say the vendor list to select a vendor. Start scrolling with the mouse scroll wheel and all of a sudden it automatically scrolls uncontrollably to the bottom of the list. You can't stop it. It just keeps scrolling and if the list is long enough you may as well go for a coffee break. Any ideas please?? Thanks GP Guy, I seem to recall someone mentioning this being an issue in V9.0 at some point. However, I am not sure i...

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

eseutil shows errors after server crash
Hi List, i run exchange Server under SBS2000. I had some Hardwareproblems (memory faults), so my exchange crashed 3 times. Now every thing runs fine, but eseutil shows a -1206 error in priv1.edb after eseutil /g. What can i do to solve tis?? regards from germany Andreas I cant tell you what's causing the -1206 error message but if I were you I would run an integrity check using isinteg -s yourservername -fix -test alltests which will fix the problems if any is found. Jamelia "Andreas Wahlert" <andreas.wahlert@no_spam_gmx.de> wrote in message news:OmBwXjL9EH...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...