Active Directory Domain Service Unavailable. What does this mean?

  • Follow

I am using Windows 7 on a brand new Sony Vaio laptop.  I am trying to print
with my Dell V305 bluetooth enabled printer.  Bought bluetooth "adapter"
which plugs into USB port since laptop was not bluetooth enabled.  When I
click on "Find Printer" it gives me an error message saying, "Active
Directory Domain Services Unavailable".  I'm not sure what this means or what
to do about it.  All I really want to do is find the printer.  Can someone
help?
17
Reply Utf 12/17/2009 3:29:03 PM

Are you printing from Word? Word must see a locally installed, compatible
printer driver set as the Windows Default printer. My guess is that the
message is erroneous and that the printer setup you are using is
incompatible.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Shiloh" <Shiloh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using Windows 7 on a brand new Sony Vaio laptop.  I am trying to
> print
> with my Dell V305 bluetooth enabled printer.  Bought bluetooth "adapter"
> which plugs into USB port since laptop was not bluetooth enabled.  When I
> click on "Find Printer" it gives me an error message saying, "Active
> Directory Domain Services Unavailable".  I'm not sure what this means or
> what
> to do about it.  All I really want to do is find the printer.  Can someone
> help?

11
Reply Terry 12/17/2009 5:23:13 PM

I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The other
14
Reply Bill 1/5/2010 2:11:46 PM

As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on the
laptop.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
> been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when
> I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
> currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to
> fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
> other
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl:
> http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t

0
Reply Doug 1/5/2010 10:23:00 PM

I have the same problem, with a slightly different message in XP, after
having used the printer before, and a search of the Mighty MS doesn't even
come up with the error message except here.

Clearly it is a network issue and why anyone wants to advertise
"professional services" when that is all they  have to say, I don't know.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

> As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
> somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on the
> laptop.
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>
> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on
> a paid professional basis.
>
> "Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> > I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
> > been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday when
> > I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
> > currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do to
> > fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
> > other
> >
> > ---
> > frmsrcurl:
> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t
>
> .

-1
Reply Utf 1/18/2010 7:20:01 PM

So what is the error message that you are receiving?  Are you also trying to
use a wireless connection to a printer?  Was the printer used before on that
computer with the same type of connection?

It is quite easy on some laptops to inadvertently turn off either BlueTooth
or Wireless, so the suggestion to the previous poster that it might be
turned off is not at all unreasonable.

I am not advertising professional services.  Rather, requesting that
way, neither I, nor the majority of the persons who provide assistance in
these newsgroups, work for Microsoft.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Elind" <Elind@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem, with a slightly different message in XP, after
> having used the printer before, and a search of the Mighty MS doesn't even
> come up with the error message except here.
>
> Clearly it is a network issue and why anyone wants to advertise
> "professional services" when that is all they  have to say, I don't know.
>

> "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:
>
>> As Terry indicated, the message is probably erroneous and the problem is
>> somewhere with you wireless network setup.  e.g. wireless turned off on
>> the
>> laptop.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>>
>> Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
>> on
>> a paid professional basis.
>>
>> "Bill Schlacks" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message
>> > I'm also using Windows 7 on my recently purchased VAIO laptop and I've
>> > been printing wirelessly to my Brother HL2170W printer till yesterday
>> > when
>> > I received an error message stating "the active Directory Domain is
>> > currently unavailable" and I'm writing to determine what I need to do
>> > fix the problem so I can print from my laptop again wirelessly. . The
>> > other
>> >
>> > ---
>> > frmsrcurl:
>> > http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/Active-Directory-Domain-Service-Unavailable-What-does-t
>>
>> .

0
Reply Doug 1/19/2010 2:01:09 AM

I agree. Your advice sucks. To disregard a legitimate question and/or
message as erroneous is a clear indication of your lack of knowledge.
Thanks for no help.

If anyone else other than the previous posters would like to reply, I
recently used a wireless card on my laptop. Now I cannot print from
Word, with the same wireless printer I had used previous to the card.
Thanks
5
Reply hks1102 1/26/2010 2:38:47 PM

I think you misunderstood the use of the word 'erroneous'. I was not
accusing the poster or anyone else of being erroneous rather I was saying
that the error message was erroneous: the failure to print has nothing to do
with ADDS not being available. The problem is with the wireless printer
driver. It has been reported with both Brother and HP wireless printers.

Try uninstalling (deleting) the printer, making sure that you have the
latest driver and then reinstall following the vendor's instructions.

Terry Farrell

"hks1102" <hollisims@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I agree. Your advice sucks. To disregard a legitimate question and/or
> message as erroneous is a clear indication of your lack of knowledge.
> Thanks for no help.
>
> If anyone else other than the previous posters would like to reply, I
> recently used a wireless card on my laptop. Now I cannot print from
> Word, with the same wireless printer I had used previous to the card.
> Thanks

-6
Reply Terry 1/26/2010 4:45:29 PM

(page loaded in 0.093 seconds)