Win XP Home or Win XP Pro

  • Follow

Hi all

im about to reinstall a fresh copy of XP but what is better: Windows XP Home
edition or Win XP Pro edition? both will be OEM I think and I will be
updating to the latest patches and updates from microsoft and SP3.

I will be using it for games and the internet mostley.

Thanks all
GK

0
Reply Gabriel 6/22/2010 10:40:54 AM

WinXP Pro is normally used in a business environment to join a domain.
Home will be fine for your purposes.

"Gabriel Knight" <FakeEmail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: Hi all
:
: im about to reinstall a fresh copy of XP but what is better: Windows XP
: edition or Win XP Pro edition? both will be OEM I think and I will be
: updating to the latest patches and updates from microsoft and SP3.
:
: I will be using it for games and the internet mostley.
:
: Thanks all
: GK
:
:

0
Reply Bickford 6/22/2010 12:51:53 PM

Gabriel Knight wrote:
> Hi all
>
> im about to reinstall a fresh copy of XP but what is better: Windows XP Home
> edition or Win XP Pro edition? both will be OEM I think and I will be
> updating to the latest patches and updates from microsoft and SP3.
>
> I will be using it for games and the internet mostley.
>
> Thanks all
> GK

     The WinXP Home and WinXP Pro editions are _identical_ when it comes
to performance, stability, and device driver and software application
compatibility, but are intended to meet different functionality,
networking, security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments.
  The most significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain while WinXP
Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports file encryption and IIS. (Oh,
and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100 USD more than WinXP Home.)

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

Which Edition Is Right for You
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

	For your stated purposes, WinXP Home should do, and it should also cost
less.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: