Must run chkdsk before defragment

Win XP Home

When I try to defragment my C drive,  I get a message saying

"Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the
volume (C:) Please run Chkdsk /f"

If I then go to the C: DOS prompt and try to run Chkdsk /f, it says

the volume is in use by another process:

would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the
system restarts.

I said YES and rebooted, but got a critical error shutdown message.

From there I had to recover my OS with Norton Ghost (fortunately)

I have never, to my knowledge, set schedules for Chkdsk,

so how do I reschedule them so I can run defragment,

or how do I run chkdsk simply, to satisfy the schedule.

donwb

0
donwb

what you need to do is to
boot with a xp cd and login
to the recovery console.

then at the disk prompt run
your check disk /f

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Win XP Home
>

> When I try to defragment my C drive,  I get a message saying
>
> "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the
> volume (C:) Please run Chkdsk /f"
>
> If I then go to the C: DOS prompt and try to run Chkdsk /f, it says
>
> the volume is in use by another process:
>
> would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the
> system restarts.
>
> I said YES and rebooted, but got a critical error shutdown message.
>
> From there I had to recover my OS with Norton Ghost (fortunately)
>
> I have never, to my knowledge, set schedules for Chkdsk,
>
> so how do I reschedule them so I can run defragment,
>
> or how do I run chkdsk simply, to satisfy the schedule.
>
> donwb

0
db
12/24/2009 3:58:18 PM
Thanks db, that did it ok.
donwb

"db" <databaseben@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> what you need to do is to
> boot with a xp cd and login
> to the recovery console.
>
> then at the disk prompt run
> your check disk /f
>

> --
> db���`�...�><)))�>
> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
> - Systems Analyst
> - Database Developer
> - Accountancy
> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
> -  @Hotmail.com
> -  nntp Postologist
> ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Win XP Home
>>

>> When I try to defragment my C drive,  I get a message saying
>>
>> "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the
>> volume (C:) Please run Chkdsk /f"
>>
>> If I then go to the C: DOS prompt and try to run Chkdsk /f, it says
>>
>> the volume is in use by another process:
>>
>> would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the
>> system restarts.
>>
>> I said YES and rebooted, but got a critical error shutdown message.
>>
>> From there I had to recover my OS with Norton Ghost (fortunately)
>>
>> I have never, to my knowledge, set schedules for Chkdsk,
>>
>> so how do I reschedule them so I can run defragment,
>>
>> or how do I run chkdsk simply, to satisfy the schedule.
>>
>> donwb

0
donwb
12/25/2009 3:11:16 PM
you're welcome.

--

> Thanks db, that did it ok.
> donwb
>
> "db" <databaseben@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> what you need to do is to
>> boot with a xp cd and login
>> to the recovery console.
>>
>> then at the disk prompt run
>> your check disk /f
>>

>> --
>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>> - Systems Analyst
>> - Database Developer
>> - Accountancy
>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>> -  @Hotmail.com
>> -  nntp Postologist
>> ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>

>> "donwb" <2banshee2@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Win XP Home
>>>

>>> When I try to defragment my C drive,  I get a message saying
>>>
>>> "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the
>>> volume (C:) Please run Chkdsk /f"
>>>
>>> If I then go to the C: DOS prompt and try to run Chkdsk /f, it says
>>>
>>> the volume is in use by another process:
>>>
>>> would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the
>>> system restarts.
>>>
>>> I said YES and rebooted, but got a critical error shutdown message.
>>>
>>> From there I had to recover my OS with Norton Ghost (fortunately)
>>>
>>> I have never, to my knowledge, set schedules for Chkdsk,
>>>
>>> so how do I reschedule them so I can run defragment,
>>>
>>> or how do I run chkdsk simply, to satisfy the schedule.
>>>
>>> donwb

0
db

running outlook on two different computers...
trying to figure out how to run outlook on two different computers...in a way so events scheduled on one computer are updated on the other computer and the other way around too. i want to be able to work from home and make changes and have those changes made in my work computer too. anyone know a solution? email me at evan@evanmatteson.com. Thank you so much for you time! Evan see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 205229 >-----Original Message----- >Evan, I am wanting to do a similar process and I was just wanting to know if you have had any response. > >Please emai...

Field1 or Field2 must be null
Is it possible to set a constraint on a table across two fields such that one of the pair must have a value and the other be null? Dan Neely wrote: >Is it possible to set a constraint on a table across two fields such >that one of the pair must have a value and the other be null? You can use the table's Validation Rule: [f1] Is Not Null Or [f2] Is Not Null -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:21:03 -0700, Dan Neely <dan.neely@gmail.com> wrote: >Is it possible to set a constraint on a table across two fields such >that one of the pair must have a value...

I am getting an message saying"you must be an Adminstrator to...."
I am getting an message saying"you must be an Adminstrator to install Office 2007". Can someone please let me know how do I resolve this issue. It means you must logg on to win using an account that has full writes What version of win? "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:653CE8A1-317C-4FD5-9599-9AE51F3892C4@microsoft.com... >I am getting an message saying"you must be an Adminstrator to install >Office > 2007". Can someone please let me know how do I resolve this issue. Log on to the computer as the administr...

Running Access across network
Hi, I have developed an Access application in Access 2000. When I run the application from my local machine it runs fine. However, when I copy the MDB file to a location on the server and have a user try to run it from that location, the forms open but nothing are displayed on them for the user. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Thanks, -- Kevin All users of the database must have at least read, write, and modify privileges to the folder holding the database file. Not just the database ..mdb file, but the entire folder. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Che...

How to activate a running Windows application
hi, I have launched one Windows application like Calculator from my VC++ application.Now i need to activate as well as show this window(calculator) from my application. How can i do this. plz help. Truly clueless what your question means. Can you reframe your question? -- Vipin Aravind Microsoft - MVP "moumita" <moumitaghosh@tataelxsi.co.in> wrote in message news:1137156298.704202.203710@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > hi, > I have launched one Windows application like Calculator from my VC++ > application.Now i need to activate as well as show this > wi...

How to append running number
Hello, I have a table A. the first field in table A is called ID. the data type is integer. I have created a query. In this query I would like to be able to append data in to table A, with one specific thing. I would like to be able to append the row number to column ID in table A. For intance, if table A is empty, and I apeend 10 records to table A, I want column ID to have number 1 through 10 when appending. if table A has 20 records. and I append 10 records to table A, I want column ID to have number 21 through 30 for my newly appending records. thanks! Boon ...

Must display as: send on behalf of XXXXXXXX
Hi I hav exchange 2003 and xp pro clients. The PA has the right to send on behalf of the GM but in the From: field is showing that the mail comes directly from her which they don't want. How can i change this so that it display : On behalf of the GM(the name of the name) thanks On Thu, 18 May 2006 22:56:01 -0700, Craig from Huguenot <CraigfromHuguenot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >I hav exchange 2003 and xp pro clients. The PA has the right to send on >behalf of the GM but in the From: field is showing that the mail comes >directly from her which th...

Running off of a USB drive
I currently carry a thumb drive that has my money file on it which allows me to access my data from both home and work. It would be nice to have access from any computer. Does anyone know of a way to get money (even a stripped down version) to run off of a thumb drive? In microsoft.public.money, Curtis wrote: >I currently carry a thumb drive that has my money file on it which allows me >to access my data from both home and work. It would be nice to have access >from any computer. Does anyone know of a way to get money (even a stripped >down version) to run off of a thum...

Random Running of a Script?
I have a script that I'd like to run randomly between X and Y minutes. Is there a way to make a small function to call that function randomly in that time frame? Ideally I could also push yet another random # into it. Thanks in advance. Hi, There are several ways of initiating this, here's one. assuming your 'script' is called MySub then to gererate the random number of minutes we use the formula x=Int((upperbound - lowerbound + 1) * Rnd + lowerbound) where you substitute upperbound and lowerbound with the upper and lower minutes. So the code looks lik...

OK, I must be retarded or something...
OK, I must be retarded or something. I am having the hardest time setting up POP3 mail for external users. When I do, eithe it halts all mail with no immediate return messages or it only allows delivery from an internal user to an internal user. I obviously do not want to have the relay open. That is understood. Here are the latest sub-genius steps I have done with no avail. Exchange 2003 over 2003 native\native AD domain All done under properties of <Server>\SMTP: 1. Accesss tab, Authentication button. Anonymous unchecked, Basic Authentication checked, and the default domain is listed...

Unable to run disc in new mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I just purchased a brand new mac pro and wanted to install office 2008. However, the disc couldn't run and nothing appear on the screen, the disc just bounce back out automatically. I called the company where I purchased the software, they said there is nothing wrong with the disc because they get it directly from Microsoft. Is there any thing I need to install before I run the disc? On 9/25/09 2:31 PM, in article 59b7d4d8.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Beanbec@officeformac.com" <Beanbec@officeformac.com> wrote: ...

There must be a way...
Hey All: I've got a quick question that's been bugging me for a while. If I'v got data arranged by columns, but I've written a formula which I wan to drag right (i.e. rearrange the calculated data into rows), then ho can I write a formula so it will just copy over? The problem is that normally when you copy a formula to the right i will increment the column letter by one each time while keep ing th row number referenced in the formula the same. Instead, when I copy i to the right, I want the column letter to remain the same and the ro number referenced in the formula to ...

must I include stdafx.h?
Hello, I am trying to use a couple files in two different systems, one of which being an MFC project. What is the best way to write a fairly portable cpp file? When I bring a certain cpp file over to my MFC project, it initially will not compile because it doesn't have #include "stdafx.h" at the top. I thought about adding something like this to the top of the file: #if defined(_WINDOWS) #include "stdafx.h" #endif so that MFC would be happy, and my other system would not complain about not being able to find stdafx.h. However, this does not compile either: "f...

Setting Sale Price for must enter price items
we are having a store wide sale. There are items that you must enter price at pos. When I set a formula (price*.75) these come up as $0.00 even after entering the price. Is there any way around this??? ...

From another mdb run VBA code
I have a function updateTables() in a a different db. How do I run this remotely. In addition is it possible to pass parmeters Regards -- Trev B On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 08:31:01 -0800, Trev B <TrevB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Yes you can. Here is an example: In database 1: Sub test() Dim objAccess As New Access.Application objAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase "c:\test\database2.accdb" objAccess.Eval "Hello('aaa')" End Sub In database 2 in a standard module: Public Function Hello(ByVal s As String) MsgBox "Hello "...

Does ShellExecute run in separate thread?
How can I wait for ShellExecute command. I believe that it spawns a thread. Is there any way to synchronize that? rgds subhash Use ShellExecuteEx() or CreateProcess() { +WaitForSingleObject() } if you want to wait on the process that it runs. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Subhash Badri" <subhash.badri@in.bosch.com> wrote in message news:bog6ug$9qv$1@ns2.fe.internet.bosch.com... > How can I wait for ShellExecute command. I believe that it spawns a thread. > Is there any way to synchronize that? > > rgds > subhash...

Program running slow
Are there any tips to make money run faster as more data is entered. I've archieve my previous year's information, but the file is 10 meg and take time between transactions. What am I doing wrong? In microsoft.public.money, Catherine wrote: >Are there any tips to make money run faster as more data >is entered. I've archieve my previous year's information, >but the file is 10 meg and take time between >transactions. What am I doing wrong? You may want to consider reverting back to your pre-archive state. If you are referring to 10 megs for the .mny file,...

Running 2 Outlooks
Hello, my company has merged with another and both are using Outlook and I am required to carry two active e-mail addresses/accounts and I work out of both simultaneously. Currently, I have one open through the application on my hard drive and the other I access through the web. I would be great if I could have both open at the same time running on the app. Is it possible to 2 Outlook applications open pointing to different servers at the same time? -- Hopefully curious... -- ~ Chris Not if they are 2 Exchange servers. It sounds like you are accessing 2 = Exchange accounts. The ...

Run-time error '3077':
Hello Everybody, In Access 2003, I am using VBA to find a string in a table. Every time I try to execute following line: anRST.FindFirst "John Smith" I get "Run-time error '3077':" which says: Syntax error (missing operator) in expression. Same is true for FindNext, FindLast and FindPrevious. anRST was defined using following code: Set anRST = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Test", dbOpenDynaset) Where "Test" is the name of the table. Any ideas what I am missing? Thank you, -- Syed Zeeshan Haider -----------------------------------------...

what must I do?
Hello all: I create a single document and the class view is derived from CListView using AppWizard,look: BOOL CTestView::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs) { cs.style|=LVS_REPORT; } void CTestView::OnInitialUpdate() { ListView_SetExtendedListViewStyle(this->m_hWnd,LVS_EX_GRIDLINES); TCHAR rgsz[3][10]={"One","Two","Three"}; LV_COLUMN lvcolumn; for(int i=0;i<3;i++) { lvcolumn.mask=LVCF_FMT|LVCF_SUBITEM|LVCF_TEXT|LVCF_WIDTH|LVCF_ORDER; lvcolumn.fmt=LVCFMT_LEFT; lvcolumn.pszText=rgsz[i]; lvcolumn.iSubItem=i; lvcolumn.iOrder=i; lvcolumn.cx=60; GetListCtrl(...

I must be really goofy, but...
I need a formula to help me figure out a percent if cells. ie.. if A = $125.00 and I need to find out what 25% of that num,ber is.. how do I do that? -- jojo1964 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jojo1964's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=8289 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=1826079 http://www.officehelp.in =A1*25% or A1*0.25 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "jojo1964" <jojo1964.3e4bfs@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:jojo1964.3e4bfs@DoNotSpam.com... > > I need a ...

Does Pocket Excel run VBAs?
I have desktop spreadsheets with VBAs - would they work in a Pocket PC/Pocket Excel environment? Hi F Chuck! Sorry but Pocket Excel does not support VBA. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "F Chuck" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:076601c3c44f$78706c40$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have desktop spreadsheets with VBAs - would they work > in a Pocket PC/Pocket Excel environment? ...

Custom validation rule
Hi, I have been using this formula to round time values to the nearest 15 minute increment: =ROUND(E10*96,0)/96 This works fine for cells where the value is auto-calculated. However, I have one cell where a value has to be manually entered are strictly 15 minute increments? What I thought I might do is create a Data Validation rule that checks to see if the value * 96 is an integer. If it isn't then it fails. How would I do this? I know it can be done, I am just having a bit of a block. TIA, Jarryd =INT(F13*96)/(F13*96)=1 "Simples"! Cheer...

There must be a way.........
There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody help? <five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:hb12r5tjthdtl87hlpgrcapq9b0hd87c4e@4ax.com... > There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed > (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody > help? Yes, there is. It's called the System File Check tool. Read about system file protection here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193 On Mon, 29 Mar 2...

Running PA on citrix
Does anyone else on the planet run project accounting in a citrix environment? It takes about 5 FULL minutes to invoice match with PA Purchase Order screens (one teeny tiney project, with one item on it). My workstation, xp laptop, only takes less than 30 seconds to do the exact same procedure. I brought this up with Microsoft when we were on version 7.5 but got no where. The only thing they mentioned was that it seemed to do a lot of processing with local files (I was like, what!!!), so that would explain how terminal server/citrix would be slower. Now that we are on version 8, it...