change the way Windows task bar/ start menu is displayed

  • Follow


My windows task bar/start menu is vertical on left side of screen. How do I 
display it horizonally at bottom of screen? Thanks.
0
Reply Utf 3/9/2010 4:09:02 PM

"optionguy" <optionguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:9995D5EC-1F94-44FD-A94E-AFB39ADE0009@microsoft.com...
> My windows task bar/start menu is vertical on left side of screen. How 
> do I
> display it horizonally at bottom of screen? Thanks.

Right-click in a blank part of the middle of the Taskbar...this will 
bring up a context menu.
In the menu that pops up, if there is a check-mark next to Lock The 
Taskbar, click it to remove the check-mark.

Now put your mouse pointer in a blank area of the Taskbar, click and 
hold the left (primary) mouse button, and move the mouse pointer toward 
the bottom of the screen, till the Taskbar "snaps" to the new position, 
then release the mouse button.

Then go right-click in the Taskbar again, and put a check in the box to 
Lock the Taskbar, so it won't move again.
-- 
Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+
http://dts-l.net/

0
Reply glee 3/9/2010 4:40:51 PM


On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:09:02 -0800, optionguy
<optionguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My windows task bar/start menu is vertical on left side of screen. How do I 
> display it horizonally at bottom of screen? Thanks.



Although by default the task bar appears on the bottom of the screen,
it can be on any of the sides you prefer it on. To move it from any
side to another, simply click on an unused part of it and drag it
where you want it. Be sure to click *within* it, not on the edge;
clicking on the edge and dragging will resize it, not move it.

If it won't move, it may be locked. In that case, right click on it
and uncheck "Lock the taskbar," then try again.

By the way, with today's wide-screen monitors, I prefer the task bar
on the left or right side of the screen. I think that makes a better
use of screen real estate than having it at the bottom.

-- 
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Reply Ken 3/9/2010 8:22:30 PM

Thanks for your help.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:09:02 -0800, optionguy
> <optionguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> > My windows task bar/start menu is vertical on left side of screen. How do I 
> > display it horizonally at bottom of screen? Thanks.
> 
> 
> 
> Although by default the task bar appears on the bottom of the screen,
> it can be on any of the sides you prefer it on. To move it from any
> side to another, simply click on an unused part of it and drag it
> where you want it. Be sure to click *within* it, not on the edge;
> clicking on the edge and dragging will resize it, not move it.
> 
> If it won't move, it may be locked. In that case, right click on it
> and uncheck "Lock the taskbar," then try again.
> 
> By the way, with today's wide-screen monitors, I prefer the task bar
> on the left or right side of the screen. I think that makes a better
> use of screen real estate than having it at the bottom.
> 
> -- 
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
> .
> 
0
Reply Utf 3/10/2010 1:55:01 AM

Thanks for your help.

"glee" wrote:

> "optionguy" <optionguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:9995D5EC-1F94-44FD-A94E-AFB39ADE0009@microsoft.com...
> > My windows task bar/start menu is vertical on left side of screen. How 
> > do I
> > display it horizonally at bottom of screen? Thanks.
> 
> Right-click in a blank part of the middle of the Taskbar...this will 
> bring up a context menu.
> In the menu that pops up, if there is a check-mark next to Lock The 
> Taskbar, click it to remove the check-mark.
> 
> Now put your mouse pointer in a blank area of the Taskbar, click and 
> hold the left (primary) mouse button, and move the mouse pointer toward 
> the bottom of the screen, till the Taskbar "snaps" to the new position, 
> then release the mouse button.
> 
> Then go right-click in the Taskbar again, and put a check in the box to 
> Lock the Taskbar, so it won't move again.
> -- 
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
> A+
> http://dts-l.net/
> 
> .
> 
0
Reply Utf 3/10/2010 1:55:02 AM

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:55:01 -0800, optionguy
<optionguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your help.



You're welcome. Glad to help.


> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
> 
> > On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:09:02 -0800, optionguy
> > <optionguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > 
> > > My windows task bar/start menu is vertical on left side of screen. How do I 
> > > display it horizonally at bottom of screen? Thanks.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > Although by default the task bar appears on the bottom of the screen,
> > it can be on any of the sides you prefer it on. To move it from any
> > side to another, simply click on an unused part of it and drag it
> > where you want it. Be sure to click *within* it, not on the edge;
> > clicking on the edge and dragging will resize it, not move it.
> > 
> > If it won't move, it may be locked. In that case, right click on it
> > and uncheck "Lock the taskbar," then try again.
> > 
> > By the way, with today's wide-screen monitors, I prefer the task bar
> > on the left or right side of the screen. I think that makes a better
> > use of screen real estate than having it at the bottom.
> > 
> > -- 
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
> > .
> > 

-- 
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Reply Ken 3/10/2010 2:02:09 AM

YW...hope it's straightened out now!
-- 
Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+
http://dts-l.net/

"optionguy" <optionguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:12D85C0F-182E-4692-A352-0324312F05AC@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your help.
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
>> "optionguy" <optionguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:9995D5EC-1F94-44FD-A94E-AFB39ADE0009@microsoft.com...
>> > My windows task bar/start menu is vertical on left side of screen. 
>> > How
>> > do I
>> > display it horizonally at bottom of screen? Thanks.
>>
>> Right-click in a blank part of the middle of the Taskbar...this will
>> bring up a context menu.
>> In the menu that pops up, if there is a check-mark next to Lock The
>> Taskbar, click it to remove the check-mark.
>>
>> Now put your mouse pointer in a blank area of the Taskbar, click and
>> hold the left (primary) mouse button, and move the mouse pointer 
>> toward
>> the bottom of the screen, till the Taskbar "snaps" to the new 
>> position,
>> then release the mouse button.
>>
>> Then go right-click in the Taskbar again, and put a check in the box 
>> to
>> Lock the Taskbar, so it won't move again.
>> -- 
>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP  Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
>> A+
>> http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> .
>> 

0
Reply glee 3/10/2010 3:07:57 AM

6 Replies
392 Views

(page loaded in 0.089 seconds)


Reply: