Turning off processes

Hi,

I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager (Win
XP Pro, SP3).  So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found the
answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it back
on? Just how would I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Dan S

0
Daniel

Daniel Schaffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager (Win
> XP Pro, SP3).  So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found the
> answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it back
> on? Just how would I do that?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dan S

It depends on what process(es) you're talking about.

In general, randomly stopping processes with Task Manager is not a good
idea.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
Lem
12/19/2009 9:40:16 PM
Some processes that appear in Task Manager are Services.

To see services that are Automatic (launched when you boot (start) your
computer, click

My Computer > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

To stop any of these services, change the status from Automatic to Manual or
Disable.

(Manual means the service is started only when it is needed by WinXP.
Disable means disabled.)

To translate process name to service name, see
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm about 1/3 down the page.

Other processes are launched from your Startup folder. Start > Programs >
Startup.

There are some other places where processes are launched. If you are still
interested, post back.

JE

"Daniel Schaffer" <somerset27@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager
> (Win XP Pro, SP3).  So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found
> the answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it
> back on? Just how would I do that?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dan S

0
Jerry
12/19/2009 10:15:55 PM

"Daniel Schaffer" <somerset27@aol.com> said this in news item
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager
> (Win XP Pro, SP3).  So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found
> the answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it
> back on? Just how would I do that?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dan S

Which process? If it is one of your applications, e.g. Word, or Internet
Explorer, then you turn it back on again by its shortcut. If it is a system
process, e.g. svchost.exe, then it's probably a bad idea to turn it off. Why
would you want to?

0
Pegasus
12/19/2009 10:17:38 PM
Daniel Schaffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager (Win
> XP Pro, SP3).  So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found the
> answer to this simple question: If I turn off a process, can I turn it back
> on?  Just how would I do that?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dan S

A reboot will start them all again; Task Manager just stops a process
for the current session.  If you try to turn off system processes, in
most cases, you won't be allowed to turn them off.  Because of that, it
isn't a practical way to look for malware, or the like..  If you're just
looking for the process that's slowing you to a crawl, this might work.
 If you do turn off the wrong one, and the system freezes, a reboot
could lose data or damage files on the hd, just like with any other
power outage.  But NTFS systems protect you somewhat from such
catastrophes, so you might get away with it, once or twice.  ;o)

--
Joe   =o)
0
On Dec 19, 4:17=A0pm, "Daniel Schaffer" <somerse...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager (=
Win
> XP Pro, SP3). =A0So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found th=
> answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it ba=
ck
> on? Just how would I do that?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dan S

TM is not used to stop/start processes.  It can only end processes.

I imagine you can stop a lot of them, but you want to know what they
are and keep them from starting when you reboot if you don't need
them.  You should see how short my list is.

First you should get Process Explorer so you can see what is "really"
running, expecially behind those multiple svchosts you see running in
TM.  You'll like it when you get the hang of it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

This will help once you get PE running:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html

Then with some Googling, you can look at each thing and see what it is
and decide if your configuration needs it or not.

No running process should defy reasonable explanation.

While you are in TM, check out the Virtual Memory usage by enabling
that display column:

Click View, Select Columns, check the box that says: Virtual Memory
Size.  Expand the width of the Task Manager
box so you can see all the columns.

Click the VM Size column heading once or twice to sort by VM Size
biggest to smallest, top to bottom.  Who's on top and why?

Everything you see running is taking up CPU and memory that might be
better used someplace else.

Get a list of what XP services are required and what are not:

If you are not sure, post specific questions and we can help you
understand and make intelligent decisions that do not involve guessing
or trial and error methods.
0
Jose
12/20/2009 5:03:55 PM
On Dec 20, 12:03=A0pm, Jose <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 4:17=A0pm, "Daniel Schaffer" <somerse...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager=
 (Win
> > XP Pro, SP3). =A0So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found =
the
> > answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it =
back
> > on? Just how would I do that?
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> > Dan S
>
> TM is not used to stop/start processes. =A0It can only end processes.
>
> I imagine you can stop a lot of them, but you want to know what they
> are and keep them from starting when you reboot if you don't need
> them. =A0You should see how short my list is.
>
> First you should get Process Explorer so you can see what is "really"
> running, expecially behind those multiple svchosts you see running in
> TM. =A0You'll like it when you get the hang of it:
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
>
> This will help once you get PE running:
>
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html
>
> Then with some Googling, you can look at each thing and see what it is
> and decide if your configuration needs it or not.
>
> No running process should defy reasonable explanation.
>
> While you are in TM, check out the Virtual Memory usage by enabling
> that display column:
>
> Click View, Select Columns, check the box that says: Virtual Memory
> Size. =A0Expand the width of the Task Manager
> box so you can see all the columns.
>
> Click the VM Size column heading once or twice to sort by VM Size
> biggest to smallest, top to bottom. =A0Who's on top and why?
>
> Everything you see running is taking up CPU and memory that might be
> better used someplace else.
>
> Get a list of what XP services are required and what are not:
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
>
> If you are not sure, post specific questions and we can help you
> understand and make intelligent decisions that do not involve guessing
> or trial and error methods.

Well, you can start processes with TM actually but it is sometimes
more complicated than stopping one and would not be a good way to
figure out "what will happen if I turn off this process" kind of
questions.

It is better to say something like... Here is this ctfmon process
running all the time, what is it, what does it do, do I need it and
how to I keep it from running if I don't.

I corrected myself!
0
Jose
12/20/2009 5:18:08 PM
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:15:55 -0600, "Jerry Ed"
<JerryEd@remove.gmail.com> wrote:

>Some processes that appear in Task Manager are Services.
>
>To see services that are Automatic (launched when you boot (start) your
>computer, click
>
>My Computer > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

This is very interesting.  I'm not the OP and I hadn't noticed this
page before.   I have winXP Home SP3.

>To stop any of these services, change the status from Automatic to Manual or
>Disable.

Is there any way to change a status to Disable or Manual before
startup?  Like by booting to DOS or Linux or if one has another OS on
the same computer.    I mean, do these settings appear in a file
together that can be edited from another OS?

If it's the Registry, that brings up another question.  Regedit and,
IIRC, the Norton registry editor don't ask which registry.  They
assume you mean the one for the OS you are in.   But when there are
problems starting XP, it would be helpful to be able to edit the
registry from outside XP.   Can it be done?

>(Manual means the service is started only when it is needed by WinXP.
>Disable means disabled.)

One thing I notice about the ad tool, Services, is that I have, in
msconfig.exe, unchecked two services**, which appear here as disabled.

But there are also other services listed as disabled, like Clipbook,
DNS Client, Human Interface Device Access, Network DDE, Network DDE
DSDM, Routing and Remote Access.   I'm know I'm not using Remote
Access, but why are the others disabled?

And the Service, Messenger, which I set in Messenger properties not to
start when Windows starts.  So I guess maybe that is why that is
disabled, but how come that isn't listed as Mmanual.  Wouldn't it
start if I started MS Messenger?

**(Shell Hardware Detection and Uninterruptible Power Supply)

>To translate process name to service name, see
>http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm about 1/3 down the page.

This sounds great!  Thanks.  And looks great too.

And thanks for the post.

>Other processes are launched from your Startup folder. Start > Programs >
>Startup.
>
>There are some other places where processes are launched. If you are still
>interested, post back.
>
>JE

0
mm
12/20/2009 6:39:09 PM
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:17:00 -0500, "Daniel Schaffer"
<somerset27@aol.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager (Win
>XP Pro, SP3).  So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found the
>answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it back
>on? Just how would I do that?

Trying to solve some problem I had -- I wish I could remember details
-- I came across a web page that urged a process to be stopped,
something to be done (that I think couldn't be done when the process
was runnimg), and then the same process to be started again.

A lot of processes require paramenters which aren't listed on the WTM
page. I just learned that for Services, they are listed in the
Services panel, if you click on the service and look in the General
tab.  And even that assumes you know which one you stopped, and some
look the same.

Why do you want to do this. Maybe it can be done another way.

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Dan S

0
mm
12/20/2009 6:54:04 PM

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> said this in news item
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:15:55 -0600, "Jerry Ed"
> <JerryEd@remove.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Some processes that appear in Task Manager are Services.
>>
>>To see services that are Automatic (launched when you boot (start) your
>>computer, click
>>
>>My Computer > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
>
> This is very interesting.  I'm not the OP and I hadn't noticed this
> page before.   I have winXP Home SP3.
>
>>To stop any of these services, change the status from Automatic to Manual
>>or
>>Disable.
>
> Is there any way to change a status to Disable or Manual before
> startup?  Like by booting to DOS or Linux or if one has another OS on
> the same computer.    I mean, do these settings appear in a file
> together that can be edited from another OS?
>
> If it's the Registry, that brings up another question.  Regedit and,
> IIRC, the Norton registry editor don't ask which registry.  They
> assume you mean the one for the OS you are in.   But when there are
> problems starting XP, it would be helpful to be able to edit the
> registry from outside XP.   Can it be done?
>
>>(Manual means the service is started only when it is needed by WinXP.
>>Disable means disabled.)
>
> One thing I notice about the ad tool, Services, is that I have, in
> msconfig.exe, unchecked two services**, which appear here as disabled.
>
> But there are also other services listed as disabled, like Clipbook,
> DNS Client, Human Interface Device Access, Network DDE, Network DDE
> DSDM, Routing and Remote Access.   I'm know I'm not using Remote
> Access, but why are the others disabled?
>
> And the Service, Messenger, which I set in Messenger properties not to
> start when Windows starts.  So I guess maybe that is why that is
> disabled, but how come that isn't listed as Mmanual.  Wouldn't it
> start if I started MS Messenger?
>

> **(Shell Hardware Detection and Uninterruptible Power Supply)

The launch of services and tasks is governed by certain registry entries.
Msconfig.exe takes advantage of if this by manipulating the appropriate
registry keys to disable or enable the launch of a service or program. If
you study how msconfig goes about its job and if your "other OS" is cabable
of editing the Windows registry then the answer is "yes", you can
enable/disable Windows services and tasks from another OS, provided that
Windows is not active at that time.

0
Pegasus
12/20/2009 7:15:30 PM
"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:17:00 -0500, "Daniel Schaffer"
> <somerset27@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager
>>(Win
>>XP Pro, SP3).  So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found the
>>answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it
>>back
>>on? Just how would I do that?
>
> Trying to solve some problem I had -- I wish I could remember details
> -- I came across a web page that urged a process to be stopped,
> something to be done (that I think couldn't be done when the process
> was runnimg), and then the same process to be started again.
>
> A lot of processes require paramenters which aren't listed on the WTM
> page. I just learned that for Services, they are listed in the
> Services panel, if you click on the service and look in the General
> tab.  And even that assumes you know which one you stopped, and some
> look the same.
>
> Why do you want to do this. Maybe it can be done another way.
>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Dan S

Hi,

Thanks for the many explanations.

Here is why I want to turn off processes. My wife uses AOL as her ISP and
e-mail service. Among the many bad things about AOL is that it preserves her
old e-mails in a file that, in Vista, I can't back up. When I try to copy
the file to an external drive, I get the failure report that the file can't
be copied because a program is using it. This is true even if AOL is closed.

As far as I can tell, the only way AOL can be said to be using the file is
that several AOL processes are running. I would like to close them, copy the
file and then turn the processes back on.

I'd be grateful for advice.

Good luck, Dan S

0
Dan
12/20/2009 9:13:03 PM
A potential risky method would be as follows:
1. Set a restore point.
2.  Use Process Explorer to find which process has a handle to the file.
3.  Determine that there is no file activity to the subject file (the system
may be performing a delayed write).
4.  If there is none, delete the handle. (Process Explorer)
5.  Reboot and see what happens.

Use this at your own risk.

Jim
"Dan Schaffer" <daylilly02445nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:17:00 -0500, "Daniel Schaffer"
>> <somerset27@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager
>>>(Win
>>>XP Pro, SP3).  So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found the
>>>answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it
>>>back
>>>on? Just how would I do that?
>>
>> Trying to solve some problem I had -- I wish I could remember details
>> -- I came across a web page that urged a process to be stopped,
>> something to be done (that I think couldn't be done when the process
>> was runnimg), and then the same process to be started again.
>>
>> A lot of processes require paramenters which aren't listed on the WTM
>> page. I just learned that for Services, they are listed in the
>> Services panel, if you click on the service and look in the General
>> tab.  And even that assumes you know which one you stopped, and some
>> look the same.
>>
>> Why do you want to do this. Maybe it can be done another way.
>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>Dan S
>>>

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the many explanations.
>
> Here is why I want to turn off processes. My wife uses AOL as her ISP and
> e-mail service. Among the many bad things about AOL is that it preserves
> her old e-mails in a file that, in Vista, I can't back up. When I try to
> copy the file to an external drive, I get the failure report that the file
> can't be copied because a program is using it. This is true even if AOL is
> closed.
>
> As far as I can tell, the only way AOL can be said to be using the file is
> that several AOL processes are running. I would like to close them, copy
> the file and then turn the processes back on.
>
> I'd be grateful for advice.
>
> Good luck, Dan S

0
Jim
12/20/2009 9:52:52 PM

"Dan Schaffer" <daylilly02445nospam@yahoo.com> said this in news item

> "mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:17:00 -0500, "Daniel Schaffer"
>> <somerset27@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager
>>>(Win
>>>XP Pro, SP3).  So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found the
>>>answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it
>>>back
>>>on? Just how would I do that?
>>
>> Trying to solve some problem I had -- I wish I could remember details
>> -- I came across a web page that urged a process to be stopped,
>> something to be done (that I think couldn't be done when the process
>> was runnimg), and then the same process to be started again.
>>
>> A lot of processes require paramenters which aren't listed on the WTM
>> page. I just learned that for Services, they are listed in the
>> Services panel, if you click on the service and look in the General
>> tab.  And even that assumes you know which one you stopped, and some
>> look the same.
>>
>> Why do you want to do this. Maybe it can be done another way.
>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>Dan S
>>>

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the many explanations.
>
> Here is why I want to turn off processes. My wife uses AOL as her ISP and
> e-mail service. Among the many bad things about AOL is that it preserves
> her old e-mails in a file that, in Vista, I can't back up. When I try to
> copy the file to an external drive, I get the failure report that the file
> can't be copied because a program is using it. This is true even if AOL is
> closed.
>
> As far as I can tell, the only way AOL can be said to be using the file is
> that several AOL processes are running. I would like to close them, copy
> the file and then turn the processes back on.
>
> I'd be grateful for advice.
>
> Good luck, Dan S

Might be a good idea to post full details of your situation right at the
start . . .

Try hobocopy to back up your mail. It can cope with locked files. Remember
to test the backed up files a couple of time to ensure that they are usable.
HoboCopy - http://sourceforge.net/projects/wangdera/files/HoboCopy/

0
Pegasus
12/20/2009 10:59:05 PM
On Dec 20, 4:13=A0pm, "Dan Schaffer" <daylilly02445nos...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> "mm" <NOPSAMmm2...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 16:17:00 -0500, "Daniel Schaffer"
> > <somerse...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >>Hi,
>
> >>I'm interested in stopping some of the processes listed in Task Manager
> >>(Win
> >>XP Pro, SP3). =A0So far, in reading up on the subject, I haven't found =
the
> >>answer to this simple question: if I turn off a process, can I turn it
> >>back
> >>on? Just how would I do that?
>
> > Trying to solve some problem I had -- I wish I could remember details
> > -- I came across a web page that urged a process to be stopped,
> > something to be done (that I think couldn't be done when the process
> > was runnimg), and then the same process to be started again.
>
> > A lot of processes require paramenters which aren't listed on the WTM
> > page. I just learned that for Services, they are listed in the
> > Services panel, if you click on the service and look in the General
> > tab. =A0And even that assumes you know which one you stopped, and some
> > look the same.
>
> > Why do you want to do this. Maybe it can be done another way.
>
> >>Thanks in advance.
>
> >>Dan S
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the many explanations.
>
> Here is why I want to turn off processes. My wife uses AOL as her ISP and
> e-mail service. Among the many bad things about AOL is that it preserves =
her
> old e-mails in a file that, in Vista, I can't back up. When I try to copy
> the file to an external drive, I get the failure report that the file can=
't
> be copied because a program is using it. This is true even if AOL is clos=
ed.

> As far as I can tell, the only way AOL can be said to be using the file i=
> that several AOL processes are running. I would like to close them, copy =
the
> file and then turn the processes back on.
>
> I'd be grateful for advice.
>
> Good luck, Dan S

So is your real issue that in Vista you are unable to backup the AOL
emails but you can with XP?

What if you copy the email to a local drive to some temp folder for a
test (not external)?  I would get that working first, then worry about
the external drive.  That is another variable in what should be a
simple equation.  Eliminate the variables and you will at least know
what it is not.

I don't use Vista or AOL (I know - I really suck) but read that AOL
has a procedure for backing up emails and read it, so if it works in
XP but not in Vista, I would think that they must know about it and
have some solution, advice or work around.  You cannot be the first
person with this observation.  If I used AOL, I would figure it out
for you but don't think I will be installing it :).

As I recall, AOL runs several processes, maybe you don't need them all
- more information is needed unless you want to start using trial and
error methods.

If you post the exact text of the error message, AOL version, etc. we
can help you look for a solution.
0
Jose
12/21/2009 1:03:34 AM
Many thanks to Jim and Pegasus.  I've learned a lot.

                  Good luck, Dan S
"Pegasus [MVP]" <news@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Dan Schaffer" <daylilly02445nospam@yahoo.com> said this in news item
>>
>> "mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

>>> Trying to solve some problem I had -- I wish I could remember details
>>> -- I came across a web page that urged a process to be stopped,
>>> something to be done (that I think couldn't be done when the process
>>> was runnimg), and then the same process to be started again.
>>>
>>> A lot of processes require paramenters which aren't listed on the WTM
>>> page. I just learned that for Services, they are listed in the
>>> Services panel, if you click on the service and look in the General
>>> tab.  And even that assumes you know which one you stopped, and some
>>> look the same.
>>>
>>> Why do you want to do this. Maybe it can be done another way.

>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the many explanations.
>>
>> Here is why I want to turn off processes. My wife uses AOL as her ISP and
>> e-mail service. Among the many bad things about AOL is that it preserves
>> her old e-mails in a file that, in Vista, I can't back up. When I try to
>> copy the file to an external drive, I get the failure report that the
>> file can't be copied because a program is using it. This is true even if
>> AOL is closed.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the only way AOL can be said to be using the file
>> is that several AOL processes are running. I would like to close them,
>> copy the file and then turn the processes back on.
>>
>> I'd be grateful for advice.
>>
>> Good luck, Dan S
>
> Might be a good idea to post full details of your situation right at the
> start . . .
>
> Try hobocopy to back up your mail. It can cope with locked files. Remember
> to test the backed up files a couple of time to ensure that they are
> usable. HoboCopy -
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/wangdera/files/HoboCopy/

0
Daniel

reading pane keeps turning on and preview pane keeps turning off
I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the preview pane turned on. however, now things changed all of a sudden. now when ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview pane is turned off. So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what it should be. if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back to the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off. This is the same behavior for all folders. any ideas how to resolve this? Thanks. -- ...

How do you turn off autoformatting?
I am making a spreadsheet that is essentially a record. In one of the cells, I am entering the old/new values for something as 4/80, which Excel instantly turns into April-80. I can format the the cell back to General, but the number that results is not 4/80. And if I go in and reset it to 4/80 again, the autoformatting kicks in again and the whole process starts over. While there are plenty of ways I could work around this, from changing the way I enter the data on up, it has become a sort of matter of honor now. How the heck do I stop Excel from overriding everything I enter? -- nickt --...

Outlook 2000 Process
I have a user on a Win XP Pro PC who is using Outlook 2000. When he exits Outlook, the Outlook.exe process is still running. I've uninstalled McAfee, his Palm, and a Yahoo downloader, but have had no luck. I also turned off Word as his email editor. Any ideas on how to get Outlook.exe to quit? Thanks, John Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. 2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support for an alleged fix. 3. Franklin-Cover Plan Plus! 4. COM Add-ins. 5. Mail re...

Handle leak in System process?
Hi -- I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 box that's been giving me a headache for some time now. Every so often, programs will fail to load and Windows (or an app) will complain about being out of memory or system resources. Or windows won't open. Etc., etc. I've been looking high and low for the reason for this, with little luck. One thing I have noticed is that when the PC starts to get cantankerous, the System process has an elevated handle count (18,500 this last time I started having problems). When I check the System process through Process Explorer, I see thousands of ...

How do I stop bullet letter (a, b, c) from turning greek?
When I create a document in which I have used letters for bulletted lists (ie, a), b), c) etc), when I print or reopen it, the letters have changed to Greek characters alpha, beta etc. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks very much. Wow, I cannot duplicate this in any version of Publisher. Maybe you are using a different type font. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "allythegeek" <allythegeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FD4415-6A6E-4EA1-97BD-0FF22ADFBB5A@microsoft.com... &...

Preview Pane turns itself back on
I've asked everyone to disable preview pane and I have one user who tells me that everytime she disables it, it turns itself back on. She can disable it in the inbox, go to sent mail folder, return to inbox and it's back on. Help! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Exchane E-TUrn Configuration
Hi. Can anyone please point me in the direction of a document that details the configuration of two exchange servers in different active directory domains where one must receive mails for a specific domain and park them and the other dials-up every hour and retrieves these mails? I believe I have to use E-turn for this? Thanks you ...

How turn turn off warnings
I have a form which contains a button to run an update query. When clicking the button, it warns of running an update query to which one must respond "Yes". Then it informs you that it is going to update x number of records to which one must again respond "Yes". I have used macros in the past to turn off and then back on these warnings, but lately I have tried to write the code instead of macros. What would be the code for this? For reference, this is what I have right now: Private Sub UpdateMPS_Button_Click() On Error GoTo Err_UpdateMPS_Button_Click Dim stDocN...

How to turn Off and On the pesky Office Assistant?
I want to try to live without the Office Assistant. How can I turn it off? If I find I must have it, how do I turn it back on? Thanks, tmb Right clck the office assistant and select Options. Options that are selected cause the office assistant to display, so the more options you deselect, the less times the little guy will show up. You will probably want to leave "REspond to F1 Key" selected (checked), so that you know you can always recall office assistant by pressing F1. Judy Freed "tmb" <topmailbox@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MLfLb.219948$%h4.209554...

Turn off Client message server side
I need to turn off client message about the status of the exchange servers on the server aide. Is that possible? We have users how gets messages through the day about the exchange server. Can I turn this off server side? Which message is this? On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:40:17 -0500, "AJ" <ajohnso9@jcpenney.com> wrote: >I need to turn off client message about the status of the exchange servers >on the server aide. Is that possible? We have users how gets messages >through the day about the exchange server. Can I turn this off server side? > > ...

Outlook is running in the background. How do I turn it off?
Outlook is running in the bckground. Don't know why or how. How do I stop it? Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. (activesync, iTunes, etc.) 2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support for an alleged fix. 3. Franklin-Covey Plan Plus! 4. COM Add-ins. 5. Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the background to check for new mail and fire reminders. 6. Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan i...

Closing Process Question
From my Sr. Accountant. "Fiscal periods in Great Plains - I closed the March fiscal period for Sale, Purchasing, and Inventory before I left work on Tuesday April 6th. The only module I left open was Financial. On Wednesday April 7th, Cindy was able to post a bank transaction entry to the March period with no problems. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I thought closing the individual modules would prevent someone from posting to the wrong period. Does the Financial module have to be closed to prevent this? Attached is a screen shot of the fiscal periods table as it wa...

Turn on!
As known to us, Exchange 2003 SP2 support enhanced SenderID. How can I turn on SPFResult(apposing Urgency,SenderID,SCL and so on)on the top bar of Outlook 2003? Thanks a lot! KejiaLi,coming from Beijing,China ...

Outlook Attachment bloking
How to Turn Off the Outlook 2000 E-mail Attachment Security Update ? Is the the file with all "Unsafe" extentions ? Is it a REGISTRY KEY ? I use Exchange Server 5.5 - Outlook on front end I need to be able to open some extention - Outlook blokes the "unsafe" files attached. Old version of Outlook DO allow atachments, new, with sp3 (sp2, sp1) do block it automaticaly ! How do I change it ? Thank you, Gon http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "gon" <stafing123@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:0c7201c3db8b$bac3b130$a501280a@...

Turning off read receipts once turned on
In Outlook 2000 (configured for CW), the first time an e- mail is opened with a read receipt request, you have a pop-up option to sned a receipt everytime you get a read receipt request. If this is turned on, how can you turn it back off? Going into the Tools>Options>E-mail Options>Tracking Options does not allow you to change your preference once you have accepted read receipts. Neither does reinstalling office. Any suggestions? ...

Turn Over Report
I am not an Accountant or Inventory Manager, how would I interpret or what should I be looking for when I read a Turn Over Report? What are the benefits? Where does the Number Of Receipts (are adjustments included?), Quantity Received YTD, Average Inventory, Quantity Sold YTD Number Of Turns YTD, Annual Turns derive from? "tstrop" wrote: > I am not an Accountant or Inventory Manager, how would I interpret or what > should I be looking for when I read a Turn Over Report? What are the benefits? The turnover report reports the number of times your inventory is replaced, ...

Closing Excel 2000 from VB (Unwanted process EXCEL.EXE)
I have an Access database - it uses the following code to open Excel Public Sub OpenXlSheet(strReportName As String) ' Check if excel is open, close it if it is If AppInUse("xlmain") <> 0 Then Dim objExcel As Excel.Application Set objExcel = GetObject(, "Excel.Application") objExcel.Quit Set objExcel = Nothing Do While AppInUse("xlmain") <> 0 Loop End If 'open a fresh excel application and load strReportName Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objExcel.Appl...

Process for a third party certification
I have a product that I have developed for professional estimation. I need to have it certified so it will open on a user's computer without the macros being disabled. I understand that what is needed is a third party certification but I have no knowledge of who might perform that service and what I might expect as a matter of cost. Can someone give me a lead? Thanks. Michael Do a Google search for Excel digital signature. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Michael Lanier" <michaelrlanier@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a7748200-f1ea-4238-aec8-233b3c1f...

One instance and set to foreground process
Hi, I have what I suspect is a very common problem, I need to make sure there is only one instance of my program running. The second instance must set the first instance to foreground (we assume the user has minimized the window and forgot he had one running), then the second instance must exit quickly without popping up any windows. I can get a process id of the first instance by using EnumProcesses and match the *.exe filename, but how do I send this process id to the foreground? It seems the term "foreground process" is frequently used in microsoft documentation, but no mention...

How do i turn it off
Hi, Im using office 2003 and if a click and hold the left mouse button an move the cursor out of the cell and release the mouse button the cell stay highlighted and follow me around the worksheet. Is there anyway to change this so that when i release the mouse butto the cells de-highligh -- ceem ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ceemo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1065 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37384 Does it work properly if you release the mouse button, and th...

V9 Purchase Order Processing
Previously on V7.5 and Project Purchase Order Processing, now we update and Dynamics still seems to use some setup things from Project. For example to add a new buyer, you also have to go to Project user setup, under the purchase order button, and put the check marks to allow blank project numbers. i have also at times seen the old Project Accounting PO Report formats? -- Doug Yes, all the purchasing functionality was moved to Purchase Order Processing from Project Accounting. Do you mean "buyer" or do you mean the ability for a user to enter a purchase order without a...

turn off mirror
Hi - I'm trying to create a duplex business card but any changes made to the text are being 'mirrored' or repeated on the 1st page. Both sides need to have different info on them. Does anyone know how to stop Pub. from mirroring ? .. thanks Interesting!!! What version of Publisher are you using? -- >-----Original Message----- >Interesting!!! > >What version of Publisher are you using? > >-- >Pub 2000 > >. > Yeah, read/search the HELP file and it will tell you how to turn off the Synchronising in Publisher 2000. That feature was only in P...

Posting Reports in Manufacturing-How to turn off
In regular dynamic V10, you can go to the posting options and turn off the printing (and get rid of the box asking where to send report) Where do you do the same in manufacturing? For example after a MO receipt, we do not want to print OR be asked to print a report. Right now we have to click cancel like 3 times. thanks! -- Doug Those are actually Inventory reports. Look at the report titles and then go to inventory and turn off the reports there. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check ou...

How do I turn off the caps lock on a form?
Hi - I added a new field to my Form, but the default for the form seems to be only CAPS. I need this new filed to have both upper and lower case letters (as well as numbers). Thanks Hi Linda, Where are you seeing only CAPS? If the new control is a textbox, when the user types in the textbox, does the entry format as all caps? Are you seeing caps in design view of the form? Jeanette Cunningham "Linda Davies" <Linda Davies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2AB3DB52-2D7B-4272-884A-63D37E94E8A9@microsoft.com... > Hi - I added a new field to my Form, but ...