I do not understand

  • Follow

I ran netstat -a to see what was running under tcp.
The response showed strange several URLs that my computer
was connected to. Since I was NOT connected via the dsl
modem, I do not understand how these urls appeared. My dsl
provider is mcleodusa, yet netstat showed me as connected to
1E100.com (Google), comcast.net, charter.com, optin.com,
alamaitechnologies.com, united.com and more. When I
commanded ipconfig /release, these all went away. When I
commanded ipconfig /renew some came back, some new ones
appeared. I also saw my dsl provider but under the name
baptist-100.flexabit.net url. Totally strange. How can this
be stopped? This is NOT about viruses or spy bots.
Thanks for the information
0
Reply Dr 7/15/2010 1:43:43 AM

"Dr. Dos" wrote:

> I ran netstat -a to see what was running under tcp.
> The response showed strange several URLs that my computer
> was connected to. Since I was NOT connected via the dsl
> modem, I do not understand how these urls appeared. My dsl
> provider is mcleodusa, yet netstat showed me as connected to
> 1E100.com (Google), comcast.net, charter.com, optin.com,
> alamaitechnologies.com, united.com and more. When I
> commanded ipconfig /release, these all went away. When I
> commanded ipconfig /renew some came back, some new ones
> appeared. I also saw my dsl provider but under the name
> baptist-100.flexabit.net url. Totally strange. How can this
> be stopped? This is NOT about viruses or spy bots.
> Thanks for the information
> .

alamaitechnologies.com is just another Microsoft connection, optin.com, may
be a connection to ad ware, do you have any software to clean malware from
your pc?
Malwarebytes is a good one.
0
Reply Utf 7/15/2010 4:33:14 AM

sgopus wrote:

> "Dr. Dos" wrote:
>
>> I ran netstat -a to see what was running under tcp.
>> The response showed strange several URLs that my computer
>> was connected to. Since I was NOT connected via the dsl
>> modem, I do not understand how these urls appeared. My dsl
>> provider is mcleodusa, yet netstat showed me as connected to
>> 1E100.com (Google), comcast.net, charter.com, optin.com,
>> alamaitechnologies.com, united.com and more. When I
>> commanded ipconfig /release, these all went away. When I
>> commanded ipconfig /renew some came back, some new ones
>> appeared. I also saw my dsl provider but under the name
>> baptist-100.flexabit.net url. Totally strange. How can this
>> be stopped? This is NOT about viruses or spy bots.
>> Thanks for the information
>> .
>>

> alamaitechnologies.com is just another Microsoft connection, optin.com, may
> be a connection to ad ware, do you have any software to clean malware from
> your pc?
> Malwarebytes is a good one.

I think that is Akamai Technologies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies

    Paul
0
Reply Paul 7/15/2010 6:15:55 AM

Paul wrote:
> sgopus wrote:
>>
>> "Dr. Dos" wrote:
>>
>>> I ran netstat -a to see what was running under tcp.
>>> The response showed strange several URLs that my computer was
>>> connected to. Since I was NOT connected via the dsl modem, I do not
>>> understand how these urls appeared. My dsl provider is mcleodusa, yet
>>> netstat showed me as connected to 1E100.com (Google), comcast.net,
>>> charter.com, optin.com, alamaitechnologies.com, united.com and more.
>>> When I commanded ipconfig /release, these all went away. When I
>>> commanded ipconfig /renew some came back, some new ones appeared. I
>>> also saw my dsl provider but under the name baptist-100.flexabit.net
>>> url. Totally strange. How can this be stopped? This is NOT about
>>> viruses or spy bots.
>>> Thanks for the information
>>> .
>>>

>> alamaitechnologies.com is just another Microsoft connection,
>> optin.com, may be a connection to ad ware, do you have any software to
>> clean malware from your pc?
>> Malwarebytes is a good one.
>
> I think that is Akamai Technologies.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies
>
>    Paul

Thank you both.
I am sure each of these TCP/IP url links are
who/what they say they are. The question is how
do these IP addresses show up as active links in
my computer, especially since/when I am not
connected to them or use them, such as
comcast.com, charter.com 1e100.com and so forth.
Where do these come from and how do I stop them?
0
Reply Dr 7/15/2010 3:55:41 PM

Dr. Dos wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> sgopus wrote:

>>> alamaitechnologies.com is just another Microsoft connection,
>>> optin.com, may be a connection to ad ware, do you have any software
>>> to clean malware from your pc?
>>> Malwarebytes is a good one.
>>
>> I think that is Akamai Technologies.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies
>>
>>    Paul
>
> Thank you both.
> I am sure each of these TCP/IP url links are who/what they say they are.
> The question is how do these IP addresses show up as active links in my
> computer, especially since/when I am not connected to them or use them,
> such as comcast.com, charter.com 1e100.com and so forth. Where do these
> come from and how do I stop them?

TCP/IP has "connection states", and a connection can be listed
after it is no longer being used. On Windows, I don't know what the
upper limit would be, for removal from the netstat display. It
might take a couple minutes, for them to disappear completely,
if the connection was closed. So in addition to noting the hostname
of the connection, you might also want to take note of the
state, such as "CLOSE_WAIT". The names of these states are
used on other OSes as well, so you can look for articles on
virtually any OS, and get similar information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137984

    Paul
0
Reply Paul 7/15/2010 8:33:05 PM