I do not understand

I ran netstat -a to see what was running under tcp.
The response showed strange several URLs that my computer
was connected to. Since I was NOT connected via the dsl
modem, I do not understand how these urls appeared. My dsl
provider is mcleodusa, yet netstat showed me as connected to
1E100.com (Google), comcast.net, charter.com, optin.com,
alamaitechnologies.com, united.com and more. When I
commanded ipconfig /release, these all went away. When I
commanded ipconfig /renew some came back, some new ones
appeared. I also saw my dsl provider but under the name
baptist-100.flexabit.net url. Totally strange. How can this
be stopped? This is NOT about viruses or spy bots.
Thanks for the information
0
Dr

"Dr. Dos" wrote:

> I ran netstat -a to see what was running under tcp.
> The response showed strange several URLs that my computer
> was connected to. Since I was NOT connected via the dsl
> modem, I do not understand how these urls appeared. My dsl
> provider is mcleodusa, yet netstat showed me as connected to
> 1E100.com (Google), comcast.net, charter.com, optin.com,
> alamaitechnologies.com, united.com and more. When I
> commanded ipconfig /release, these all went away. When I
> commanded ipconfig /renew some came back, some new ones
> appeared. I also saw my dsl provider but under the name
> baptist-100.flexabit.net url. Totally strange. How can this
> be stopped? This is NOT about viruses or spy bots.
> Thanks for the information
> .

alamaitechnologies.com is just another Microsoft connection, optin.com, may
be a connection to ad ware, do you have any software to clean malware from
your pc?
Malwarebytes is a good one.
sgopus wrote:

> "Dr. Dos" wrote:
>
>> I ran netstat -a to see what was running under tcp.
>> The response showed strange several URLs that my computer
>> was connected to. Since I was NOT connected via the dsl
>> modem, I do not understand how these urls appeared. My dsl
>> provider is mcleodusa, yet netstat showed me as connected to
>> 1E100.com (Google), comcast.net, charter.com, optin.com,
>> alamaitechnologies.com, united.com and more. When I
>> commanded ipconfig /release, these all went away. When I
>> commanded ipconfig /renew some came back, some new ones
>> appeared. I also saw my dsl provider but under the name
>> baptist-100.flexabit.net url. Totally strange. How can this
>> be stopped? This is NOT about viruses or spy bots.
>> Thanks for the information
>> .
>>

> alamaitechnologies.com is just another Microsoft connection, optin.com, may
> be a connection to ad ware, do you have any software to clean malware from
> your pc?
> Malwarebytes is a good one.

I think that is Akamai Technologies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies

    Paul
0
Paul
7/15/2010 6:15:55 AM
Paul wrote:
> sgopus wrote:
>>
>> "Dr. Dos" wrote:
>>
>>> I ran netstat -a to see what was running under tcp.
>>> The response showed strange several URLs that my computer was
>>> connected to. Since I was NOT connected via the dsl modem, I do not
>>> understand how these urls appeared. My dsl provider is mcleodusa, yet
>>> netstat showed me as connected to 1E100.com (Google), comcast.net,
>>> charter.com, optin.com, alamaitechnologies.com, united.com and more.
>>> When I commanded ipconfig /release, these all went away. When I
>>> commanded ipconfig /renew some came back, some new ones appeared. I
>>> also saw my dsl provider but under the name baptist-100.flexabit.net
>>> url. Totally strange. How can this be stopped? This is NOT about
>>> viruses or spy bots.
>>> Thanks for the information
>>> .
>>>

>> alamaitechnologies.com is just another Microsoft connection,
>> optin.com, may be a connection to ad ware, do you have any software to
>> clean malware from your pc?
>> Malwarebytes is a good one.
>
> I think that is Akamai Technologies.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies
>
>    Paul

Thank you both.
I am sure each of these TCP/IP url links are
who/what they say they are. The question is how
do these IP addresses show up as active links in
my computer, especially since/when I am not
connected to them or use them, such as
comcast.com, charter.com 1e100.com and so forth.
Where do these come from and how do I stop them?
0
Dr
7/15/2010 3:55:41 PM
Dr. Dos wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> sgopus wrote:

>>> alamaitechnologies.com is just another Microsoft connection,
>>> optin.com, may be a connection to ad ware, do you have any software
>>> to clean malware from your pc?
>>> Malwarebytes is a good one.
>>
>> I think that is Akamai Technologies.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies
>>
>>    Paul
>
> Thank you both.
> I am sure each of these TCP/IP url links are who/what they say they are.
> The question is how do these IP addresses show up as active links in my
> computer, especially since/when I am not connected to them or use them,
> such as comcast.com, charter.com 1e100.com and so forth. Where do these
> come from and how do I stop them?

TCP/IP has "connection states", and a connection can be listed
after it is no longer being used. On Windows, I don't know what the
upper limit would be, for removal from the netstat display. It
might take a couple minutes, for them to disappear completely,
if the connection was closed. So in addition to noting the hostname
of the connection, you might also want to take note of the
state, such as "CLOSE_WAIT". The names of these states are
used on other OSes as well, so you can look for articles on
virtually any OS, and get similar information.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137984

    Paul
0
Paul
7/15/2010 8:33:05 PM
Paul wrote:
> Dr. Dos wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> I think that is Akamai Technologies.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>
>> Thank you both.
>> I am sure each of these TCP/IP url links are who/what they say they
>> are. The question is how do these IP addresses show up as active links
>> in my computer, especially since/when I am not connected to them or
>> use them, such as comcast.com, charter.com 1e100.com and so forth.
>> Where do these come from and how do I stop them?
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490947.aspx
>
> TCP/IP has "connection states", and a connection can be listed
> after it is no longer being used. On Windows, I don't know what the
> upper limit would be, for removal from the netstat display. It
> might take a couple minutes, for them to disappear completely,
> if the connection was closed. So in addition to noting the hostname
> of the connection, you might also want to take note of the
> state, such as "CLOSE_WAIT". The names of these states are
> used on other OSes as well, so you can look for articles on
> virtually any OS, and get similar information.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137984
>
>    Paul
Paul,
Thanks.
0
Dr

NDR Understanding
Hello folks. We have SBS 2003 running with Exchange SP2. An external user is able to send mail to the domain accounts without issue, unless she attaches a QuickBooks file. Then an NDR is generated. I'm looking in the Message Tracking Center and I see the "Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing" and "Message Submitted to Categorizer", then the NDR generation. The external user received "Delivery to the following recipients failed" in the NDR. She was able to forward the message to the same domain user with the NDR. I am unable to determine why this NDR...

How do I get XP to understand that I have gone back to Outlook Express as my current email application
When I installed Outlook 97 in my XP Home system, it wouldn't deliver or receive mail, saying, "No Transport Provider". Outlook Express was working fine, with the settings for account name, pw, POP3, server, SMTP server, already put in. I just wanted some of the additional features that come with Outlook97. When I tried to add a "Service", however, it seemed to only accept the Microsoft Mail Postoffice as the source/destination for email. There seemed to be no way to tell it to use an SMTP/POP protocol service. So I tried installing IMEP, and SR1 and SR2 as su...

Trouble understanding recipient/size limits on Exchange.
I'm trying to understand the recipient/size limits for Exchange and what takes priority. I'm still a little confused after even after reading the article. The following example is from article ID 322679: Example 2 In this example, the following size limits have been configured: . The global setting is set to 2 MB. . The Exchange 2000 SMTP connector is set to 5 MB. . The SMTP virtual server is set to 2 MB. . The user mailbox setting is set to 3 MB. The global setting is 2 MB. Therefore, all the users who are using the default global setting in the Exchange 2000 S...

Help understanding command!
Hi, The idea of my scripting is to get off of vbscript and use powershell so... I want to query an AD group to find out who can email the group, this value is held in the authorig attribute of the mail enabled group... In vbscript when I do this I can do a nice neat for each loop to add all the values in this attribute to a single variable, using powershell it seems to return some kind of array which is fine when echo'd back to the console, but an export using export-csv returns the object and not its values... (If thats the right term) So after a bit of googling I ha...

I do not understand
I ran netstat -a to see what was running under tcp. The response showed strange several URLs that my computer was connected to. Since I was NOT connected via the dsl modem, I do not understand how these urls appeared. My dsl provider is mcleodusa, yet netstat showed me as connected to 1E100.com (Google), comcast.net, charter.com, optin.com, alamaitechnologies.com, united.com and more. When I commanded ipconfig /release, these all went away. When I commanded ipconfig /renew some came back, some new ones appeared. I also saw my dsl provider but under the name baptist-100.flexa...

Trying to understand how TAXES should be setup
I am trying to understand how Taxes are supposed to be setup in RMS. We have 4 store locations. Here is what I understand so far: 1. Under Database > Sales Taxes create a sales tax code for each store location with an appropriate tax rate. 2. Under Database > Item Taxes we create a code for each store to be used by Items. This code is linked to the Sales Tax code. 3. Under each item properties we click the “Store Tax” tab and make associations between each store and its Item Tax code. 4. Run Worksheet Style 320 to update all the stores with the new tax info. Part of the reason I...

i am not understanding
strange On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:40:53 -0500, "EDUCATOR" <wranglerscout_74@hotmail.com> wrote: >strange If you have a question about Microsoft Access, please pick *one* appropriate newsgroup and post it. If you have a question about some other software, please scroll down the list of subject areas and post a comprehensible question in an appropriate newsgroup. If you're just playing around, please use microsoft.public.test.here. John W. Vinson [MVP] esta es una pruba "EDUCATOR" <wranglerscout_74@hotmail.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:...

not understand
Column A Column B C D E Question1 Question2 Question 3 Question 25 Correct Answer: A D A C John Bratty C D A B Willy Wonka D A D C Jenny Penny A B A C =SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:Z2=$B$1:$Z$1)) Helpful newsgroup posting advice here... http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://ww...

Help understanding DateAdd...
Thanks to all of you I was able to add the below expression to my query to give me the date of the Friday of the week represented by the value in my date field. However, I would like to understand what's happening as opposed to just pasting someone elses work. The value of [Date] = 6/26/2007 as Tuesday Result of Week Ending = 6/29/2007 a Friday Expression: Week Ending: DateAdd("w",6-Weekday([Date]),[Date]) I'm having a hard time understanding the concept of "w" = weekday and the function Weekday. I've been staring at this for so long, I may be ram...

Understanding Networking
We have recently installed another computer in the house. I can detect it in 'Network'. If I click on the this new computer icon and login, what features and facilities will be available to me when working on the original computer. Thanks "species8350" <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote in message news:d27bcce4-972e-4ee2-b9db-ddba5be8bedb@j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > We have recently installed another computer in the house. I can detect > it in 'Network'. > > If I click on the this new computer icon and login, what features...

Understanding OnSize()
Hi experts. I m a NewBee For MFC.I have made an sdi application. i create a derived Cwnd object named MyWnd in the oncreate of view class of my application .. I was just tracing Onsize of each of CMainFrameApp ,CView App and MyWnd of My app. I found the order as :- MyWnd | CViewApp | This might be due to creation of each window CMainFrameApp | CViewApp | This might be following the change in CMainFrameApp MyWnd | CMainFrameApp | ...

MVP's, please help me understand SUMPRODUCT.
Please refer to Ntobias' thread on Aug 24, 2006 and Sandy's comment before you read on. Sandy, Thank you for your comment and a different perspective. Before JE's post, I already had a hard time understanding SUMPRODUCT. When I read JE's post I did more research. Excel help was not a big help and I got lost in cyber space encountering things like matrix Algebra. To make a long story short - I am getting more confused with SUMPRODUCT and not sure if I understand it. Can someone point me to some good and straightforward tutorial please? I found the following examples from ...

Any one on here understand Crystal Reports
Does any one know how to get the detail section of a report to summarizes. I want to make the tender section of the Reg Analy report summarizes as the totals for all batches closed same as footer in Reg Analy Report. Hi there, You can't add the summarize filed in the detail section... actually, You can, but it will not give You the result You want, since this field depends on the group and initialize to 0 when the group starts. Waht You can do, I think, is define an varibale in the header of the report, and then add one RUNNING TOTAL field, in the detail section, incrementing wit...

hashCode understanding
Hi! Assume I have 2 instances of a class called Test see below which will work as key in a hashtable. The Name property of instance1 is set to 'Paul', and the Name property of instance2 is set to 'Piet'. Both instances will generate different hashcode, and they're also different according to the Equals method.So far so good. When looking up Piet I will get the value object whatever it can be. Now, suppose that I change the Name of instance2 to 'Paul', then, according to my Equals method, both instances should be equal, and according to the hashcode...

Understanding GP
Hi, I would like to know where I can get information on how to install and setup GP. I am from a accountancy background and i also have over 5 years IT skills including Sage, sybase, MS SQL Server Admin, Development in VB, VB.NET and Java. Basically my plan is to learn enough so that I can get out of my current dead end job and consult on GP, Biztalk and other products. Any guidennce will be appreciated. Thank you Jitu ...

need easy to understand instructions
I have 2002 office xp installed and would to configure my windows live account to OUTLOOK and/or OUTLOOK EXPRESS. Also whe I go to WORD, there's no "SEND TO" button for mr to click on...Thanks to anyone who can help.... Is your Outlook configured with all the info that was supplied by your ISP -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "screwed up" <screwedup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05353803-C3DC-43F5-A2CB-B0AF5B0BD471@microsoft.com... >I ha...

Milly, did not understand your directions
I did not understand your directions on previous posting of how to delete a message from Outlook 2K Outbox. How do I set a new .pst as my default then edit the old .pst to get rid of the message that is stuck in the outbox? Try this KB article then: OL2000: How to Troubleshoot Mail Stuck in the Outbox http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195922&Product=out2K --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching goog...

Understanding ClassWizard
Are there any good articles out there that explain how ClassWizard WORKS (as opposed to HOW TO USE ClassWizard)? Here is my problem I have a main executable project with several satellite DLLs for languages. The satellite DLLs are resource-only. I want to rebuild my ClassWizard file for the main project and include the resources from the English satellite DLL so I can build classes, dialogs, etc. in the main project. I have tried including the .rc, .res, and .aps files during my ClassWizard rebuild to no avail How does ClassWizard get its resource information? Is there a file I can include ...

I Do Not Understand How Mail Progams Work
Hey everyone! I sincerely want to get a better understanding of some aspects of my computer. I can get around on it and do ok but I need to take it up a notch and get more familiar with the technology. I'll list an item or two here and then move forward from there. My computer is an HP Pavillion Slimline, S7700n, with AMD 64 Athlon X2. It came with Vista 32 Home Premium. I find that it works well for everything I use my computer for at this point. Questions: What is the best way to use email? I don't understand the difference between Outlook, Live Mail, Windows Mail etc....

Trying to understand a formula
Hello Someone in my organization has put together what I consider to be a very well thought out spreadsheet to track inventory. When I attempt to analyze it "from the inside out", I ran across a formula that I don't understand and was unable to find in "Help". Obviously, this formula counts, item by item, the rows within the range that is in the formula. But can anyone tell me where I can find more information on this specific formula: =SUBTOTAL(3,C3:C62) ....and the number that appears in this cell is 58, which is the total of integers between 3 and 62. The real...

Having problems understanding MFC collections map
I can't seem to understand MFC collections Cmap. I need an example please. What I need is to: Cmap<key int, value int> mymap; Thanks, jt "jt" <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:IfBRd.94641$qB6.79056@tornado.tampabay.rr.com... >I can't seem to understand MFC collections Cmap. I need an example please. > > What I need is to: > > Cmap<key int, value int> mymap; > > Thanks, > jt > > I usually make a typedef so I can use the map/list templates like classes... typedef CMap<int, int, int, int&> CMyMap; now I...

Understanding Bonds
There are certain things you must understand about bonds before you start investing in them. Not understanding these things may cause you to purchase the wrong bonds, at the wrong maturity date. The three most important things that must be considered when purchasing a bond include the par value, the maturity date, and the coupon rate. The par value of a bond refers to the amount of money you will receive when the bond reaches its maturity date. In other words, you will receive your initial investment back when the bond reaches maturity. The maturity date is of course the date that the bond wi...

Understanding outbound errors
Okay, I get numorous outboun errors reported to me all going to the same user. Here's a sample of the error I see: A mail message was not sent because the maximum time for delivery has expired. The message was not delivered to the following addresses: The message that caused this notification was: To: <rajesh@wisorindia.soft.net> From: <1-723_1-57213-593538@b.vollku.com> Subject: Easy Mortgage Shopping - ALL Credit Grades Accepted Now I work for Wisor.com and maintain any e-mails going to anyone@wisor.com. We do have an office in India and there ...

Help me understand this code
Hi everyone, A coworker came to me with an Excel sheet with dropdown controls on it She wanted the dropdown control to not be visible when the sheet i printed, while the selected data in the dropdown still be printed. Eas enough, I thought, just gotta change the combobox properties. Turns out it wasn't quite that easy. The dropdowns seem to be create with something that vaguely resembles XML, but isn't quite that either. As far as I can tell, this is the code that creates th dropdown: Code ------------------- <v:shape id="_x0000_s1186" type="#_x0000_t201&quo...

Better Understanding
I am in the process of beginning to teach myself VBA for Excel 2007. The primer I am using starts with recording macros, editing recorded macros, and eventually moves on to writing code from scratch. Question, I recorded a macro where I put a formula =sum(A:A) into cell C1. The recorder coded this formula to Range("C1").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(C[-2])" I am not sure I understand the syntax of the sum function. I do believe it is indicating to select data 2 columns tot he left of column C, but does it assume the data populates all cells...