How to hidden red shield for window's firewall?

I am using Norton Internet Security with firewall, and disable the window's
firewall, but the red shield icon with cross on the lower right hand corner
keeps pop up a window for warning after window startup. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to hidden this red shield for warning?Thanks in advance
for any suggestions
Eric

Eric wrote:
> I am using Norton Internet Security with firewall, and disable the
> window's firewall, but the red shield icon with cross on the lower
> right hand corner keeps pop up a window for warning after window
> startup. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hidden this red
> shield for warning?Thanks in advance for any suggestions

What version of NIS?
Contacted Symantec/Norton?

My actual suggestion would be to rid yourself of the Norton product - making
sure that even after uninstalling using built-in mechanisms you run the
Norton Removal Utility to ensure all traces of it are wiped.  Then utilize
the built-in Windows XP firewall, a NAT router between you and the cable
modem/DSL or other high-speed connection you might have and a decent/low
resource/high efficiency antivirus application like Avira AntiVirus (free)
or eSet NOD32 (cost - *just* the AV, not the suite.)

You can change the way the Security Center alerts you.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_disablescalerts.mspx

For the future - you might want to include the operating system edition and
version along with service pack level and architecture and perhaps even
throw in what version of Internet Explorer you are using to your post.  It
can speed up getting accurate and precise help.

Not sure how?

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
"Pause/Break" key.  Let go of both.  This is equivalent in Windows XP to
having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
from the menu that appears.  When the new window appears - ensure you are
under the "General" tab.  Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version"?

Next we will get the edition and version information...

 Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
   winver
 --> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.  Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim.  No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using?  Easy to find
out.  Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard.  With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key.  Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed,  press (just once, no holding) the "A" key.   That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window.  It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

Come back - respond for posterity.  After all, this post will be here
indefinitely.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
12/20/2009 1:44:26 PM
On Dec 20, 8:30=A0am, Eric <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am using Norton Internet Security with firewall, and disable the window=
's
> firewall, but the red shield icon with cross on the lower right hand corn=
er
> keeps pop up a window for warning after window startup. Does anyone have =
any
> suggestions on how to hidden this red shield for warning?Thanks in advanc=
> for any suggestions
> Eric

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Security Center.

In the Resources pane on the left, choose to Change the way Security
Center alerts me and make the appropriate choices.
0
Jose
12/20/2009 2:41:01 PM
Thank everyone very much for suggestions
Eric

Eric wrote:
> I am using Norton Internet Security with firewall, and disable the
> window's firewall, but the red shield icon with cross on the lower
> right hand corner keeps pop up a window for warning after window
> startup. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hidden this red
> shield for warning?Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I agree with Shenan with regard to Norton's products; they can be a big
headache and responsible for poor performance.

But it's your life, and you might decide to keep it.

What troubles me is the Security Center should not be giving you
warnings about having no firewall. True, you aren't using the Windows
Firewall, but you *are* using the Norton firewall.

Perhaps the warning is for something else. Maybe your antivirus
definitions are not current. Or perhaps you have turned off Automatic
Updates (for Windows, that is). I would double-check this first.

As Jose said, you can always "change the way Security Center alerts
[you]."

0
Daave
12/20/2009 3:48:17 PM
Are you sure the shield belongs to Windows Security Centre and not
Norton telling you something needs fixing? If you are sure it's Windows
Security Centre you can get rid of it in Control Panel:

# Open the Control Panel and make sure it's set to "Classic View"
# Double-click on the Security Center icon
# Click on the option "Change the way Security Center alerts me"
# *Uncheck* all three alert settings boxes then click 'OK'

Now the Windows Security Centre shield and it's pop-up alerts won't
bother you any more, and you'll only get security alerts from Norton
Internet Security in future.

0
pip22

How to create a hidden message in a folder
Hi there, the application that I am working with requires a hidden message (of any class) to be inside a folder (corporate archive) on the root of the mailbox so that it can identify the specific folder and then archive its contents. I understand that I need to create this hidden message in the Associated Contents Table but i dont know how. Can someone please point me the correct way? is it done on the outlook client? on the exchange server? I appreciate any help Regards Davide You cannot create a hidden message manually. You must use code. Perhaps = the easiest method is to use CDO 1...

Opening up a new Outlook window for a separate mailbox
Here is my situation. One of my users, has 2 mailboxes he needs to check, and he needs to have them both open at the same time, preferrably in separate windows so he can copy stuff from one mailbox to the other. He had had this working before, and right after we upgraded him to Office 2003 it was working again, but now we can't seem to get it to work anymore. Does someone know how to open up another mailbox into a separate window so he can see 2 mailboxes at the same time? Thanks, Chris Add the mailbox to his profile. Then right click on the second Inbox and choose Open in New Wind...

Setting up Windows Live Mail to receive att.yahoo mail
I know that att.yahoo mail works in windows live mail...I had to restore my laptop and I had att.yahoo mail set up in windows live. Now it want work. I have checked all of the settings and everything is as it should be...I dont know what else to do. Can anyone please help me. I followed the directions on att website for setting up live mail wtth att.yahoo...something has to be wrong. I would appreciate your help. Thanks Please post the error message here (copy / paste) so the issue can be analyzed appropriately. "elementofstyle" <elementofstyle@discussio...

Help: Pasted red numbers turn black
When I copy an Excel chart and paste it into a Word doc, the red (negative) numbers print black. How can I get them to stay red and print red as they originally were in the Excel chart? Thanks in advance. Al, You might try copying your chart into your Word document as a picture. To do so, click once your chart. Press the Shift key and, while holding the Shift key down, go to the standard toolbar and hit Edit -> Copy Picture. Choose these options: Appearance = As shown on screen and Size = As shown on screen. The Format should default as a picture. Hit the OK key. Then, go to...

windows media player failure
WMP says it does not recognize MVI_1138.AVI on my desktop. It played it three times yesterday!!! Any suggestions? Charles ...

windows 2003 server directory access problem
hi,all I install oracle server 9.2 on a 2003 server ,and the ora92 directory access permission is as below: D:\oracle>xcacls ora92 D:\oracle\ora92 NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(special access:) READ_CONTROL FILE_READ_DATA FILE_READ_EA FILE_EXECUTE FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F ...

MDI Chile windows not setting Frame Caption Bar
Hello, I have created an Windows MDI application. When I open a document within this MDI frame, the caption bar of the MDI frame is only set if the child document is maximized. If I have more than 1 child documents, I have them tiled. I woulkd like the MDI frame caption to change to show the name of the active child document, but it simply appends a number to it's applicaiton name. ie. the applicaiton name is WinOm and when I select a child document, the MDI frame caption is set to WinOm - [WinOM1], WinOm - [WinOm2], etc. Can I set it so that the MDI frame caption is the applicati...

Missing images (only boxes with red x)
Hi All, I hope someone can help. The problem (openning mail items with boxes instead of images) occurs on one of my computers, but not the other. They are both running XP Pro and Office 2003 and openning the same email file. I'm not sure where to look and hope someone can provide me with a hint. It was working, but a few weeks, something changed and I don't know what. I don't recall making any significant changes or installing any programs. Thanks, Michele ...

Have a console in MFC Windows programming
When I used Visual C++ for windows programming Is it possible to create a console for debugging? >When I used Visual C++ for windows programming >Is it possible to create a console for debugging? Tony, Yes, it's possible. If you add the following code snippet to a Windows application, it'll pop up a console window that you can use: #include <fcntl.h> #include <io.h> #include <stdio.h> AllocConsole(); int hCrt; FILE *hf; hCrt = _open_osfhandle( (intptr_t) GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE), _O_TEXT ); hf = _fdopen( hCrt, "w" ); *stdout = *hf;...

Sell Cheap EDhardy Lacoste POLO T-shirts, LRG Red Monkey G-Star Jeans
Discount, LRG jeans, Evisu jeans, ED hardy jeans, COOGI jeans, Gino Green Global jeans, Lacoste jeans, G-star jeans, Ked Robot jeans, Red Monkey jeans, BBC jeans, Smet jeans, Seven jeans, Trun North Face jeans, The Croun Holder jeans, Antik jeans, China Supply. Supply BOSS t-shirts, men's Lacoste T-shirts, G U C C I women's t- shirts,Polo T- shirts, BBC T-shirts, Bape T-shirts, ED hardy T-shirts, Coogi T-shirts, Christian Audigier T-shirts, Gino Green Glalal (ggg) T- shirts, Artful Dodger T-shirts, LRG T-shirts, Burberry T-shirts, Affliction T-shirts.... ( www.g lobwholesale.com.cn )...

Exchange 5,5 hosted mailboxes cannot be moved if hidden from the address book
Hi all, I have found that when I try to move a mailbox from an exchange 5.5 server using either the AD Users and Computers snapin or the Exchange system manager then it fails IF the mailbox is hidden from the address book. This only happens when the original server is an ex 5.5 box - all works ok if just moving mailboxes between 2003 servers. Anyone experienced the same and found a solution? Thanks, Chris. ...

Average exchange rate in the MC Summary Inquiry window
Can someone please explain to me how GP comes up with the average exhange rate in this window? We have a new US account that only has 2 months worth of data. If I choose period 8, net change, the average is 1.32 and is right because we only had one rate used for the whole month, period 9, net change, the average is 1.32 and is right because we only had one rate used for the whole month, then for period 10 it is 1.28, because we only had one rate for the whole month. If I then change it to period balance, it's showing 1.3635902 (period 8 and 9 period balances are correct at 1.32)....

jpg shows red x
I created a "Logos" folder under Shared Documents and put a bunch of jpgs in there. All but one of them show fine - the one that doesn't just shows a red X when I click on it. I checked the permissions and all of the jpgs have the same permissions. What could be different about this one jpg? When I download the jpg to my desktop I'm able to view it fine. It's only when it's in this Logos folder. Thanks, David EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Silverlight to WCF Service Object Encryption http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b...

open the document instead of the inquiry window
When adding a PO to a service call, we click the PO number and it opens the PO inquiry screen. We need it to open the actual PO/document screen so the addresses can be modified as needed, etc. Is there a setting somewhere in GP to allow this? ...

hidden sheets
Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, and still have the workbook calculate formulas based off of the hidden worksheets. The reason i ask is i have alot of information within the spreadsheet that i do not really need at this time, and i would like to hide it so that it makes it easier to navigate through the workbook. Hi, Yes you can still read values from hidden sheets and use those values in a calculation and you can write to hidden sheets with code. Mike "Soccerboy83" wrote: > Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, a...

Open documents in new window
I recently uninstalled an add-in (Office Tab), and since then all instances of Word 2007 (on XP SP3) open in the same window, rather than in new windows, which is my preference. I'm pretty sure I remember having to change it to the "open in new window" for the default setting a couple of years ago when I first started using 2007, but can't seem to find out how that is done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. David uncheck the Windows in Taskbar in the View dialog under office menu under the Microsoft Office Button. Hope this helps DeanH &quo...

Custom Views + hidden columns does seem to work
Hi there, I was hoping you could help with some custom views. I've figured out how to create custom views just fine and have created 6 of them. What I wanted to do next was create an identifier on the spreadsheet that would tell the user which view is currently being used (for both viewing and printing). I tried adding 6 rows at the top of the spreadsheet with the name of each view in one row. I would then hide 5 rows and keep row with the view I want identified visable. Then I would save the view. This works fine if I am only hidding and unhidding rows and columns. ...

Money 2004-Windows CE
I have Money 2004 installed in my notebook, and bought a Jornada 548 from hp (windows CE OS). Is there a way to sync my money data? When I tried there was a message telling me that I needed Pocket PC 2002 installed in my device. Is there another way to sync? Otherwise I would need to change the ROM module and i don't know if this is possible. Yes, you'd have to upgrade the ROM and, even if it's possible, I don't think it would be worth it. How much did your J548 cost? -- Michael Gordon MVP "Dickymartin" <Dickymartin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

My Outlook 2000 file is hidden
I have actively used a folder to put emails in. A couple of days ago it decided to stop working and now says 'Unable to display folder. Operation failed.' I can search my emails and still have access to the files but I need to look into the folder. What happened? What do I need to do in order to have the folder accessible? Ans <Ans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have actively used a folder to put emails in. A couple of days ago > it decided to stop working and now says 'Unable to display folder. > Operation failed.' I can search my emails and still h...

Windows Mail
I recently purchased a HP computer with Vista Professional. In windows mail I cannot open attachments. I can save the attachment to a folder and open it from there, but not in mail. I get an error message that there is not a program associated for the attachment. "Allan" <adavids2@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:DC93BAE8-3EE0-4236-BD97-DDF428D6E932@microsoft.com... >I recently purchased a HP computer with Vista Professional. In windows mail >I cannot open attachments. I can save the attachment to a folder and open >it from there, but not in m...

search address book Windows 7
Searching for a company name only one contact with that name will show up. For example I have 5 contacts called hunter. Hunter/lab, hunter/library etc. When I use : Search address book only the first of the five listings will show up. I have all of them saved as file as: hunter/... Is there anything I can do about this? Thank you, -Joy What does this have to do with Outlook? -- Russ Valentine "Joy53" <Joy53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF3053EF-0DBB-4AA0-BC4D-97E0ECC3F0FB@microsoft.com... > Searching for a company name only one ...

Get Window from point
Hi, Is there a way to get a window from a given point ? Yoav. Hi, WindowFromPoint might be what you are looking after. Emmanuel On Jul 2, 9:22 am, "Yoavo" <y...@cimatron.co.il> wrote: > Hi, > Is there a way to get a window from a given point ? > > Yoav. "Yoavo" <yoav@cimatron.co.il> wrote in message news:OrWPimHvHHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > Is there a way to get a window from a given point ? > Try WindowFromPoint. -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ww1kxcy0(VS.80).aspx Note that th...

Problems with VC++ 6.0 in Windows XP
I have recently upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP. I am getting runtime errors in Visual C++ 6.0 using XP that didn't exist in 2000. For example: "Unhandled exception in <program_name>.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000008: Invalid Handle". These problems only seem to occur in the Visual Studio IDE. When running compiled versions (debug or release) outside of VS, everything works fine. Based on article KB818493 it could be an MDAC issue (using MDAC 2.53 in Win 2000 and MDAC 2.71 in Win XP). If so, what are my options to fix this problem? How can I get the recommended pa...

Windows application types: SDI, MDI and Dialog-based
Hello. This question is related to the proper choice of a Windows application type. Visual C++ 6.0's AppWizard offers 3 choices: SDI, MDI and Dialog-based. It's not difficult to understand the differences between SDI and MDI. It also seems reasonable that there's an option for less complex applications, which merely require some user input in order to configure and run a process (Dialog-based). However, it seems to me that this set of choices leaves a gap whereby certain kinds of applications don't find an exact match. For instance, one can think of a number of applica...

Copying Data Without Hidden Values
Please excuse a dumb question. I'm sure the answer is buried in the help files somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm running Excel2002. I have a long column of data with many hidden rows. I need to copy this column for a paste operation, but I want to include only the active, visible fields. Every copy process I've tried ends up pasting the hidden rows also. How do I exclude the hidden rows from the copy process? Thanks, OC Oscar, Select the column, then hit F5, click on Special, select Visible Cells Only, OK, then Copy and Paste. HTH, Nikos "Oscar" <oc@sc.rrno...