How to hidden red shield for window's firewall?

  • Follow

I am using Norton Internet Security with firewall, and disable the window's
firewall, but the red shield icon with cross on the lower right hand corner
keeps pop up a window for warning after window startup. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to hidden this red shield for warning?Thanks in advance
for any suggestions
Eric
0
Reply Utf 12/20/2009 1:30:01 PM

Eric wrote:
> I am using Norton Internet Security with firewall, and disable the
> window's firewall, but the red shield icon with cross on the lower
> right hand corner keeps pop up a window for warning after window
> startup. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hidden this red
> shield for warning?Thanks in advance for any suggestions

What version of NIS?
Contacted Symantec/Norton?

My actual suggestion would be to rid yourself of the Norton product - making
sure that even after uninstalling using built-in mechanisms you run the
Norton Removal Utility to ensure all traces of it are wiped.  Then utilize
the built-in Windows XP firewall, a NAT router between you and the cable
modem/DSL or other high-speed connection you might have and a decent/low
resource/high efficiency antivirus application like Avira AntiVirus (free)
or eSet NOD32 (cost - *just* the AV, not the suite.)

You can change the way the Security Center alerts you.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/internet/sp2_disablescalerts.mspx

For the future - you might want to include the operating system edition and
version along with service pack level and architecture and perhaps even
throw in what version of Internet Explorer you are using to your post.  It
can speed up getting accurate and precise help.

Not sure how?

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
"Pause/Break" key.  Let go of both.  This is equivalent in Windows XP to
having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
from the menu that appears.  When the new window appears - ensure you are
under the "General" tab.  Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version"?

Next we will get the edition and version information...

 Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
   winver
 --> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.  Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim.  No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using?  Easy to find
out.  Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard.  With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key.  Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed,  press (just once, no holding) the "A" key.   That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window.  It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

Come back - respond for posterity.  After all, this post will be here
indefinitely.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Reply Shenan 12/20/2009 1:44:26 PM

On Dec 20, 8:30=A0am, Eric <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am using Norton Internet Security with firewall, and disable the window=
's
> firewall, but the red shield icon with cross on the lower right hand corn=
er
> keeps pop up a window for warning after window startup. Does anyone have =
any
> suggestions on how to hidden this red shield for warning?Thanks in advanc=
> for any suggestions
> Eric

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Security Center.

In the Resources pane on the left, choose to Change the way Security
Center alerts me and make the appropriate choices.
0
Reply Jose 12/20/2009 2:41:01 PM

Thank everyone very much for suggestions
Eric

"Jose" wrote:

> On Dec 20, 8:30 am, Eric <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I am using Norton Internet Security with firewall, and disable the window's
> > firewall, but the red shield icon with cross on the lower right hand corner
> > keeps pop up a window for warning after window startup. Does anyone have any
> > suggestions on how to hidden this red shield for warning?Thanks in advance
> > for any suggestions
> > Eric
>
> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Security Center.
>
> In the Resources pane on the left, choose to Change the way Security
> Center alerts me and make the appropriate choices.
> .

0
Reply Utf 12/20/2009 3:40:01 PM

Eric wrote:
> I am using Norton Internet Security with firewall, and disable the
> window's firewall, but the red shield icon with cross on the lower
> right hand corner keeps pop up a window for warning after window
> startup. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hidden this red
> shield for warning?Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I agree with Shenan with regard to Norton's products; they can be a big
headache and responsible for poor performance.

But it's your life, and you might decide to keep it.

What troubles me is the Security Center should not be giving you
warnings about having no firewall. True, you aren't using the Windows
Firewall, but you *are* using the Norton firewall.

Perhaps the warning is for something else. Maybe your antivirus
definitions are not current. Or perhaps you have turned off Automatic
Updates (for Windows, that is). I would double-check this first.

As Jose said, you can always "change the way Security Center alerts
[you]."

0
Reply Daave 12/20/2009 3:48:17 PM

Are you sure the shield belongs to Windows Security Centre and not
Norton telling you something needs fixing? If you are sure it's Windows
Security Centre you can get rid of it in Control Panel:

# Open the Control Panel and make sure it's set to "Classic View"
# Double-click on the Security Center icon
# Click on the option "Change the way Security Center alerts me"
# *Uncheck* all three alert settings boxes then click 'OK'

Now the Windows Security Centre shield and it's pop-up alerts won't
bother you any more, and you'll only get security alerts from Norton
Internet Security in future.

0
Reply pip22 12/20/2009 8:42:11 PM

(page loaded in 0.054 seconds)