CHKDSK hangs at Stage 4

I'm running XP Pro, SP3 updated with the latest critical updates.

I'm also running Norton 360, which indicated after one of its scans that C:\ 
had file integrity issues and that I should run CHKDSK.

The first time I ran CHKDSK it got to Stage 4 (Verify Files) where it 
recovered missing bad sectors in two compressed files in the Java folders.  
Then it hung at 24% complete.

After waiting 1/2 hour, the system was still unresponsive.

I rebooted without CHKDSK, then ended windows properly and rebooted again 
and set up CHKDSK to check C: again.

This time, it did not find bad sectors, but still hung at 24% of Stage 4.

Drive C: is an NTFS drive of 500Gb, with the OS, all the Program Files and 
one data file of approximately 360 Gb.

Any suggestions?
-- 
Thank you,
B. Parker
0
Utf
1/24/2010 4:34:01 PM
windowsxp.general 3897 articles. 1 followers. Follow

8 Replies
3178 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 58

"B. Parker" <BParker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7837FD60-4642-4A79-AF12-AE9BD60CD1FB@microsoft.com...

> I rebooted without CHKDSK, then ended windows properly and rebooted again
> and set up CHKDSK to check C: again.
>
> This time, it did not find bad sectors, but still hung at 24% of Stage 4.
>
> Drive C: is an NTFS drive of 500Gb, with the OS, all the Program Files and
> one data file of approximately 360 Gb.

Is not the size of this single file your problem?
When CHKDSK was coded, no hard drive was
bigger than 40 Gb let alone a single file.

-- 
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)


0
Don
1/24/2010 7:59:48 PM
On Jan 24, 11:34=A0am, B. Parker <BPar...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I'm running XP Pro, SP3 updated with the latest critical updates.
>
> I'm also running Norton 360, which indicated after one of its scans that =
C:\
> had file integrity issues and that I should run CHKDSK.
>
> The first time I ran CHKDSK it got to Stage 4 (Verify Files) where it
> recovered missing bad sectors in two compressed files in the Java folders=
.. =A0
> Then it hung at 24% complete.
>
> After waiting 1/2 hour, the system was still unresponsive.
>
> I rebooted without CHKDSK, then ended windows properly and rebooted again
> and set up CHKDSK to check C: again.
>
> This time, it did not find bad sectors, but still hung at 24% of Stage 4.
>
> Drive C: is an NTFS drive of 500Gb, with the OS, all the Program Files an=
d
> one data file of approximately 360 Gb.
>
> Any suggestions?
> --
> Thank you,
> B. Parker

You said you ran chkdsk then you said you set up chkdsk to run...

Are you choosing to run chkdsk from Start, Run for from the volume
from the Properties Tools tab and are you checking any options, etc.

There is really only one good way to run chkdsk and that is when the
voume is locked and in a "static" state.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941

There are two ways to achieve a static state before running chkdsk.

1. Let XP run chkdsk when the system reboots before XP loads all the
way
2.Run chkdsk from Recovery Console

Running chkdsk in any other way may look fine, may not look fine, may
look different two times in a row.  This is why sometimes you see
suspicious informational messages running chkdsk some other way.  It
should not hang though.

If you are running it on reboot (a good idea) the results will be in
the Application Event Log as an event sourced by Winlogon.  If that is
what you are doing, look there for clues.  If you stop chkdsk, I am
not sure what you will see there.  I always think it is dangerous to
stop chkdsk.

I don't think 1/2 hour is really very long to wait for a large volume
with lots of data (someone else can please offer their experience).
I have large volumes 500GB but not much data.  chkdsk runs in minutes
on a new 500GB with only 8GB used up, but takes 20 minutes on my old
40GB that is 50% full.  Anything more than instantaneously is too long
for me!

I would give it time and only get suspicious if the HDD activity light
does not indicate activity - for a long time.  Sometimes the
percentage will even go up and come back down which is normal but can
make you think something is wrong.

If it hangs and you have to terminate it and there is no log, I would
run chkdsk from Recovery Console and then you can see what it is
doing, and you know it is in the desired static state.

There are third party tools you can use too, but I have no use for
them so can't recommend any.  I think the XP stuff works fine when
used as directed.

Do you really have a single file that is 360GB or is that total used
space of your 500GB?

Have you ever run successfully chkdsk before/lately on this volume so
you might know if this is a new concern?
0
Jose
1/24/2010 9:53:17 PM
B. Parker wrote:
> I'm running XP Pro, SP3 updated with the latest critical updates.
> 
> I'm also running Norton 360, which indicated after one of its scans that C:\ 
> had file integrity issues and that I should run CHKDSK.
> 
> The first time I ran CHKDSK it got to Stage 4 (Verify Files) where it 
> recovered missing bad sectors in two compressed files in the Java folders.  
> Then it hung at 24% complete.
> 
> After waiting 1/2 hour, the system was still unresponsive.
> 
> I rebooted without CHKDSK, then ended windows properly and rebooted again 
> and set up CHKDSK to check C: again.
> 
> This time, it did not find bad sectors, but still hung at 24% of Stage 4.
> 
> Drive C: is an NTFS drive of 500Gb, with the OS, all the Program Files and 
> one data file of approximately 360 Gb.
> 
> Any suggestions?

A 360 GB file is pretty big! Aside from the other suggestions, can you 
possibly move the file to an external hard disk, then run chkdsk again?

Bill
0
Bill
1/24/2010 10:14:31 PM
Interesting question - I'll have to do more research.
-- 
Thank you,
B. Parker


"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "B. Parker" <BParker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:7837FD60-4642-4A79-AF12-AE9BD60CD1FB@microsoft.com...
> 
> > I rebooted without CHKDSK, then ended windows properly and rebooted again
> > and set up CHKDSK to check C: again.
> >
> > This time, it did not find bad sectors, but still hung at 24% of Stage 4.
> >
> > Drive C: is an NTFS drive of 500Gb, with the OS, all the Program Files and
> > one data file of approximately 360 Gb.
> 
> Is not the size of this single file your problem?
> When CHKDSK was coded, no hard drive was
> bigger than 40 Gb let alone a single file.
> 
> -- 
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
1/24/2010 11:56:01 PM
Jose,

Yes, I believe that I achieved a static state by right clicking drive C: on 
My Computer and then Properties, Tools and then Check.  It then prompted me 
to re-boot and CHKDSK ran on a blue screen before XP booted up.

I'll look to see if I can find Winlogon and open it.

The HDD drive light was not active at all for the 1/2 hour.

Yes, it's a single file that is 360Gb.

No, I didn't run CHKDSK before - regrets.




-- 
Thank you,
B. Parker


"Jose" wrote:

> On Jan 24, 11:34 am, B. Parker <BPar...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm running XP Pro, SP3 updated with the latest critical updates.
> >
> > I'm also running Norton 360, which indicated after one of its scans that C:\
> > had file integrity issues and that I should run CHKDSK.
> >
> > The first time I ran CHKDSK it got to Stage 4 (Verify Files) where it
> > recovered missing bad sectors in two compressed files in the Java folders..  
> > Then it hung at 24% complete.
> >
> > After waiting 1/2 hour, the system was still unresponsive.
> >
> > I rebooted without CHKDSK, then ended windows properly and rebooted again
> > and set up CHKDSK to check C: again.
> >
> > This time, it did not find bad sectors, but still hung at 24% of Stage 4.
> >
> > Drive C: is an NTFS drive of 500Gb, with the OS, all the Program Files and
> > one data file of approximately 360 Gb.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> > --
> > Thank you,
> > B. Parker
> 
> You said you ran chkdsk then you said you set up chkdsk to run...
> 
> Are you choosing to run chkdsk from Start, Run for from the volume
> from the Properties Tools tab and are you checking any options, etc.
> 
> There is really only one good way to run chkdsk and that is when the
> voume is locked and in a "static" state.
> 
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941
> 
> There are two ways to achieve a static state before running chkdsk.
> 
> 1. Let XP run chkdsk when the system reboots before XP loads all the
> way
> 2.Run chkdsk from Recovery Console
> 
> Running chkdsk in any other way may look fine, may not look fine, may
> look different two times in a row.  This is why sometimes you see
> suspicious informational messages running chkdsk some other way.  It
> should not hang though.
> 
> If you are running it on reboot (a good idea) the results will be in
> the Application Event Log as an event sourced by Winlogon.  If that is
> what you are doing, look there for clues.  If you stop chkdsk, I am
> not sure what you will see there.  I always think it is dangerous to
> stop chkdsk.
> 
> I don't think 1/2 hour is really very long to wait for a large volume
> with lots of data (someone else can please offer their experience).
> I have large volumes 500GB but not much data.  chkdsk runs in minutes
> on a new 500GB with only 8GB used up, but takes 20 minutes on my old
> 40GB that is 50% full.  Anything more than instantaneously is too long
> for me!
> 
> I would give it time and only get suspicious if the HDD activity light
> does not indicate activity - for a long time.  Sometimes the
> percentage will even go up and come back down which is normal but can
> make you think something is wrong.
> 
> If it hangs and you have to terminate it and there is no log, I would
> run chkdsk from Recovery Console and then you can see what it is
> doing, and you know it is in the desired static state.
> 
> There are third party tools you can use too, but I have no use for
> them so can't recommend any.  I think the XP stuff works fine when
> used as directed.
> 
> Do you really have a single file that is 360GB or is that total used
> space of your 500GB?
> 
> Have you ever run successfully chkdsk before/lately on this volume so
> you might know if this is a new concern?
> .
> 
0
Utf
1/25/2010 12:04:01 AM
Ugh, it's a good idea, but it's a huge pain, I'll use it as a my last-ditch 
hail Mary strategy!
-- 
Thank you,
B. Parker


"Bill Sharpe" wrote:

> B. Parker wrote:
> > I'm running XP Pro, SP3 updated with the latest critical updates.
> > 
> > I'm also running Norton 360, which indicated after one of its scans that C:\ 
> > had file integrity issues and that I should run CHKDSK.
> > 
> > The first time I ran CHKDSK it got to Stage 4 (Verify Files) where it 
> > recovered missing bad sectors in two compressed files in the Java folders.  
> > Then it hung at 24% complete.
> > 
> > After waiting 1/2 hour, the system was still unresponsive.
> > 
> > I rebooted without CHKDSK, then ended windows properly and rebooted again 
> > and set up CHKDSK to check C: again.
> > 
> > This time, it did not find bad sectors, but still hung at 24% of Stage 4.
> > 
> > Drive C: is an NTFS drive of 500Gb, with the OS, all the Program Files and 
> > one data file of approximately 360 Gb.
> > 
> > Any suggestions?
> 
> A 360 GB file is pretty big! Aside from the other suggestions, can you 
> possibly move the file to an external hard disk, then run chkdsk again?
> 
> Bill
> .
> 
0
Utf
1/25/2010 12:07:01 AM
How does one get into the Recovery Console?
-- 
Thank you,
B. Parker


"Jose" wrote:

> On Jan 24, 11:34 am, B. Parker <BPar...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm running XP Pro, SP3 updated with the latest critical updates.
> >
> > I'm also running Norton 360, which indicated after one of its scans that C:\
> > had file integrity issues and that I should run CHKDSK.
> >
> > The first time I ran CHKDSK it got to Stage 4 (Verify Files) where it
> > recovered missing bad sectors in two compressed files in the Java folders..  
> > Then it hung at 24% complete.
> >
> > After waiting 1/2 hour, the system was still unresponsive.
> >
> > I rebooted without CHKDSK, then ended windows properly and rebooted again
> > and set up CHKDSK to check C: again.
> >
> > This time, it did not find bad sectors, but still hung at 24% of Stage 4.
> >
> > Drive C: is an NTFS drive of 500Gb, with the OS, all the Program Files and
> > one data file of approximately 360 Gb.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> > --
> > Thank you,
> > B. Parker
> 
> You said you ran chkdsk then you said you set up chkdsk to run...
> 
> Are you choosing to run chkdsk from Start, Run for from the volume
> from the Properties Tools tab and are you checking any options, etc.
> 
> There is really only one good way to run chkdsk and that is when the
> voume is locked and in a "static" state.
> 
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941
> 
> There are two ways to achieve a static state before running chkdsk.
> 
> 1. Let XP run chkdsk when the system reboots before XP loads all the
> way
> 2.Run chkdsk from Recovery Console
> 
> Running chkdsk in any other way may look fine, may not look fine, may
> look different two times in a row.  This is why sometimes you see
> suspicious informational messages running chkdsk some other way.  It
> should not hang though.
> 
> If you are running it on reboot (a good idea) the results will be in
> the Application Event Log as an event sourced by Winlogon.  If that is
> what you are doing, look there for clues.  If you stop chkdsk, I am
> not sure what you will see there.  I always think it is dangerous to
> stop chkdsk.
> 
> I don't think 1/2 hour is really very long to wait for a large volume
> with lots of data (someone else can please offer their experience).
> I have large volumes 500GB but not much data.  chkdsk runs in minutes
> on a new 500GB with only 8GB used up, but takes 20 minutes on my old
> 40GB that is 50% full.  Anything more than instantaneously is too long
> for me!
> 
> I would give it time and only get suspicious if the HDD activity light
> does not indicate activity - for a long time.  Sometimes the
> percentage will even go up and come back down which is normal but can
> make you think something is wrong.
> 
> If it hangs and you have to terminate it and there is no log, I would
> run chkdsk from Recovery Console and then you can see what it is
> doing, and you know it is in the desired static state.
> 
> There are third party tools you can use too, but I have no use for
> them so can't recommend any.  I think the XP stuff works fine when
> used as directed.
> 
> Do you really have a single file that is 360GB or is that total used
> space of your 500GB?
> 
> Have you ever run successfully chkdsk before/lately on this volume so
> you might know if this is a new concern?
> .
> 
0
Utf
1/25/2010 12:14:01 AM
B. Parker wrote:
> Ugh, it's a good idea, but it's a huge pain, I'll use it as a my last-ditch 
> hail Mary strategy!

What's in that huge file? Is there any way to break out the data into 
smaller files, then delete the big one?

Bill
0
Bill
1/26/2010 12:45:20 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook and ActiveSync #4
I bought a new PDA and am having an issue with Outlook and MS ActiveSync. I have a few add-in's (Acrobat, MapPoint and a custom email stationary program) that do not load when I boot the computer and open Outlook. Turns out, ActiveSync is opening Outlook in the background not allowing the add-ins to load. I have to go to Task Manager, stop Outlook, open Outlook to get my add-ins to work and then start the sync. So now, I have turned off sync (but it still looks for changes, thus still opening Outlook in the background), and have to go through this process every morning or every t...

Email address #4
We've just configured the groupwise mail connector on exchange 2003 to connect our other site who are using groupwise. When we send email to our site, which is routed through the groupwise server, the address from the sender is displayed as: o2.co.uk.matt_hather it should be displayed as: matt_hather@o2.co.uk Any ideas why this would happen? when we reply, we get an undeliverable message back. we are using Outlook XP on each machine. Thanks What you see in ADUC, user properties, General, E-mail? Jim C wrote: > We've just configured the groupwise mail connector on exchan...

Update MSCRM 3.0 4.0 with redeploying
Hello all, I have a old server "Windows 2003 Standard with SQL 2005" that contain Microsoft CRM 3.0 with all my contact, to do, calendar, all my customization and all my stuff. Also, I have buy a new server and this new server have a clean installation of Microsoft CRM 4.0 (this server have a Windows 2003 Standard with SQL 2005"). My question is what is the best way to easily export all my customization, contacts, to do, calendar, and all my stuff. from my Microsoft CRM 3.0 and import to my new server that contain my clean installation of Microsoft CRM 4.0 ? The both...

Outlook plugin for CRM 4.0
Hello, I have a user that has been running CRM with Outlook 2007 on Windows XP with no problems. Now we just upgraded his LPT to Windows 7 and his CRM Outlook Plugin connection is timing out on him. Is there a way to change the time out setting so it will stay logged in? His Outlook does not have the problem only his CRM. Thanks Steve On Jul 22, 4:58=A0am, Steve <St...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > =A0 I have a user that has been running CRM with Outlook 2007 on Windows = XP > with no problems. =A0Now we just upgraded his LPT to Windows 7 and his CR= M ...

Outlook hangs upon opening #2
I have Outlook XP running with an Exchange 2003 mailbox. When I first open the outlook program, it takes a while to finally show my inbox. I am using Windows XP2 and Office XP w/ Exchange 2003, is there a page or window size issue? thanks ...

CFileDialog hangs on Windows 2000
Hello, I have an application written in VisualStudio C++ .NET 2003 which use both managed and MFC code (the managed code is for XML) that hangs when a CFileDialog is created in a Windows 2000 machine. In my development machine (Windows XP) the app works fine, both debug and release version. To isolate if this is a kind of bug in my app I generate a simple SDI app using the wizard and add the same code that creates the CFileDialog. This app works in the Windows 2000 machine, the file dialog works as it should. So I tried to debug my app in the W2K machine using WinDbg and I got this ou...

4.4.7 error
I have problems on one client that they don't recieve all emails from people sending to them. I guess something is wrong in the configuration. When I do a nslookup -type=mx domain.com I just get unautharized answer. Also the ttl time is just 1800 when I do a dns report. Do the guys that handle the dns change this? The people that doesn't get their mail throw get the 4.4.7 error in return. Best regards Jimmy http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Surfer&q...

CRM 4.0: Company name not syncing with Outlook
In CRM 3.0, it was a known issue that a contact's company name in CRM would not sync with Outlook. However, now that we're using CRM 4.0, the same problem occurs. Thoughts? Account record in CRM is still not supported in Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook. "circulent" <circulent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACD984DF-14A9-4DB9-80E0-B041F1C8D0CD@microsoft.com... > In CRM 3.0, it was a known issue that a contact's company name in CRM > would > not sync with Outlook. However, now that we're using CRM 4.0, the same > problem oc...

error, chkdsk
Questio, when I try to open excel or winmx, an error pops up saying chkdsk, so i ran a chkdsk and it doesnt do anything. The error also says corrupted file. In excel I have some important work that I need to open, and it only opens in Turkish, if I change it to English, its a bunch of boxes and letters, its not my work I need. How do I change it back. What excel version are you using? Try to find somebody with 2003 to see if they can open the file. Otherwise you would look for some commercial software that might be of help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B30...

hanging outlook
I have this recent problem and it doesn't seem to have an answer to repair it. When opening outlook it just hangs or freezes up. You can't close it or do anything else in the program. The only way you can get out of it is to use the task manager and close it that way. This is a problem on my windows XP system at home where I use outlook as my mail system, and also at work where outlook is on an exchange server-running windows 2000. The outlook program I am using is from office 2000 pro. I tried to uninstalling and then reinstalling the office 2000 pro program, and it still do...

copy #4
5 columns Contact Reference Name Date of Transaction Amount Fundcode If there is any data in column 5 then merge column 2 and 3 (in column 2) and copy 4,5 and 6 column in column 3,4 and 5 then go to next row .... pls help with this macro You sure you don't want to check column 6??? Try this against a copy! Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim myCell As Range Dim myRng As Range Set wks = ActiveSheet With wks Set myRng = .Range("a2", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)) For Each myCell In my...

microsoft outlook -- hang -- freezeing up
my microsoft outlook is hanging up and will not let me access my emails nor will it let me delete or send emails. I have done a system restore and still not fixed.........help.... Terri Need more info... What version of Outlook? Do you get an error? If so, what is it? Do you just get the Outlook Splash screen? Does Outlook ever open? What Operating System (OS) do you use? -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61a501c42e14$8bea53b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... my microsoft outlook is hanging up and will not let me access my emails ...

Problems with MS CRM 4.0 on Terminal Server
Hello Everyone, I recommended MS CRM to our organization. So, we are new to MS CRM 4.0 and I start regretting the recommendation. There are tons of issues with security warning related to non existing pop-up blockers with Outlook and IE, but those are issues for another time. The issue I have today relates to Terminal Server users using MS CRM with Outlook on Terminal Server. They started getting messages that the server is unavailable, requests failed, no authorization, etc. I know, it doesn't say much. And I know that deleting a profile and creating a new one on TS works, but thi...

Why does Excel hang up when trying to open files?
I have Office 2003 with Excel 2003 installed. When I try to open files from the peer-to-peer network, the program hangs up and will not go any further. At that point I have to shut it down. I can access the network with other programs including Word so I know it's not the network. Anybody have any ideas? ...

Outlook Outbox #4
Has anyone seen this problem with Outlook 2000 where the message being sent is received but stays in the outbox and does not appear in the sent items box? Remember the message is received. ...

Outlook hanging up
I just did MS most recent update. Now when I conect to Outlook XP I get my mail on all accounts right away - after minumizing it and surfing the web I then return to Outlook and send/recieve my account hangs up at 33% (only 1 of my 3 e-mail accounts will download) - It is a different account each time - not just the default - It seems to not be a ISP problem via trace route - Can anyone help????? Thanks for your time.... T G T <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just did MS most recent update. Now when I conect to > Outlook XP I get my mail on all accounts rig...

Flags #4
I'm new to XP and to Outlook 2003. Can anyone help? Is there a way to mark the flag complete for a whole group of flagged messages? One by one takes soooooo long. TIA -- Gary Hi Gary, if you select "ctrl+a" all messages will be marked. If you hold "shift" all messages between the first mouseclick and the second mouseclick all messages will be mark and with the hold "ctrl" and single mouseclicks you can select single mails you want to mark. -- Oliver Vukovics Outlook Network without exchange: Public OutLook Share your Outlook PST with several users! http...

Computer hangs and kills Outlook XP repeatedly
I am having a terrible problem right now with my computer - it hangs, mouse frozen, no control-alt-delete possible, cold boot required. When it comes back up the Outlook file is hosed and I have to run scanpst.exe, which does a terrible job (it was written in 1998), so I have to rename a backup outlook.pst file to outlook.pst, "fix" the broken outlook.pst file under a new name, and manually move email, calendar entries, tasks, etc to the new outlook file. A royal pain. I have all updates installed for both Windows XP and Office XP. My questions are as follows: 1. What settings can I...

customizations import from 3.0 to 4.0
Is is possible to import customizations into a 4.0 system that were exported from a 3.0 install? You will need to upgrade 3.0 implementation to 4.0 by running MS CRM 4.0 setup. Please go through Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Installing Guide. You can download this guide from folowing URL http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1CEB5E01-DE9F-48C0-8CE2-51633EBF4714&displaylang=en I don't think that there is any supported way through which you can import 3.0 Customization file to 4.0 implementation. Cheers, Rohit "Leo_B" wrote: > Is is possible to im...

Exchange Calendar Update Tool #4
I have downloaded the documentation for the utility that updates the affected calendar items for this DST period of time. The instructions seem a bit confusing to me. Can someone provide a simple explanation on how the tool works, how to install it, and how to run it with the appropiate command line options. I basically want to run it in user list generation mode. Any help is greatly appreciated. In a nutshell: download, install both tools, but install tzmove.exe first. Use the config tool to generate the list and list out conflicts. Run the batch files that is generated and your...

Preparing Network Connections... DC HANG!!
I have a single domain environment and 9 sites. apparently, 5 days ago, when booting one DC in one site, a 'Preparing Network Connection" message displayed on the screen and it stayed for long and the DC didn’t start, 2 days ago, I had the same issue on another DC in another Site. Note that I have 2 DCs in the head office running 2003 R2 and subsequently upgrading other DCs on the 9 Sites from Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003 R2. Today I have the same issue in a third site!! Apparently its escalating! Howdie! Am 12.06.2010 11:43, schrieb Hadi El Arawi: &...

Publisher
hi! i want to print on 5.5 x 4 cards not paper. where in publisher can you change the size to fit 5.5 x 4 cards. this is for thank you cards, so i will be putting something on the front page and flipping it over to complete the inside. Col Publisher has card templates for 5½x4¼. Is that what size you're using? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Col" <Col@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB1753B6-81DF-4762-899E-805E13B67E08@microsoft.com... > hi! > i want to...

Send/Receive Hang-up
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. POP/SMTP, connecting to dial-up phone line. I'm using the same ISP that I've been using for years. I don't know what an 'automatic polling setting' is. I don't lose the connection when using internet browsers. If I connect to the internet first, leave the browser open, then open Outlook, it sends and receives and stays connected. >-----Original Message----- >You need to post your mail account types, connection types and automatic >polling settings for anyone to figure this out. >-- >Russ Valentine >[MVP-Ou...

can't print 4th panel of 4 panel brochure
I am working with Publisher 2003 with the brochure wizard and just can't seem to get the 4th panel to print. I am sending it to a printer anyway but I always like to print out first to see what it looks like. Thanks for any help! Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 and older are critical about printer drivers. Usually upgrading (or downgrading in some cases) will fix the problems you are encountering. If you have not already done so, you would want to visit the manufacturers website of your printer to download and install the latest printer driver that is available. It's important...

App Hang
I am trying to close an external VB6 app. I am setting all timers .Enabled = False. ( I read that this is not necessary but I do it anyway ) I am UnLoading all Forms. Well, I am commanding it but maybe something is not letting me close. Do I need to disable API timers? In one I have COMM open so I set PortOpen to False. Most of my external apps close properly. What else do I need to do? On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 12:43:12 -0700, BeeJ <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote: A few questions inline: >I am trying to close an external VB6 app. What exactly do you mean by an "e...