Cannot restart my HP computer with HP original Recovery Disks

  • Follow

I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA, Serial
Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 , HP5013-7947,
Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the normal
process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences and
after it finished ask to "restart".
I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
screen stays dark.
The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is fine,
I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up (I can
exercise brightness control for example)

What do I do now to get the computer working again?

0
Reply Ritter197 12/6/2009 6:55:57 PM

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the
>normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences
>and after it finished ask to "restart".
> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
> screen stays dark.
> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>
> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

I'll ask lots of questions - don't get mad - just asking everything up
front.

Part numbers mean nothing to me so please break up your message into steps.
The disks - One version uses hidden D partition to restore XP, other CDs do
a full restore from scratch.  Do you know which happened ?
and a little background :
XP was bad ? so you did a QuickRestore ?
When you started did you have a C (system)and D (restore) partition ?
Did you boot from CD ? or from XP chose Restore ?
Sounds like full install vs Restore , right?
Re:  "  initial reformat " ?
Did you REINSTALL XP image (successfully), it did the format and then
rebooted.
It then walked you thru the install ?

Have you tried booting with no disk in CD ? ( to make sure boot CD not
trying to read something not yet written to disk)

0
Reply Bobb 12/6/2009 6:55:57 PM

Ritter197 wrote:
> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
> preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
> screen stays dark.
> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>
> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

Try unplugging the computer from the wall outlet for a minute or two and
then plug it back in and see if it will fire up.

Reply C 12/6/2009 7:01:44 PM

And in future crosspost, dont multipost, it leads to confusion

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the
>normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences
>and after it finished ask to "restart".
> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
> screen stays dark.
> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>
> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

0
Reply DL 12/6/2009 7:54:48 PM

Ritter197 wrote:
> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
> preferences and after it finished, I was asked to "restart".
> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either.  The
> screen stays dark.
> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>
> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

Does no part of the boot sequence show?  Did the plug come disconnected
from the back of the tower?

--
Joe   =o)
0

Ritter197 wrote:
> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
> preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
> screen stays dark.
> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>
> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

Suggest calling HP Total Care at 1-800-474-6836. Support is free if you
are still within your warranty period, usually 12 months. This is
supposed to be a 24/7 operation.

Bill
0
Reply Bill 12/6/2009 9:10:29 PM

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
> preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
> screen stays dark.
> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>
> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

See if any of these help:
Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3239117&lang=en&docname=bph07145#bph07145_cp

Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3239117&docname=bph07144

--

Brian A. Sesko
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Reply Brian 12/6/2009 10:02:00 PM

It appears that something is not working on your video end, since you got
thru the install and setting your personal settings etc, then a reboot and
nothing is displayed, but you can hear the cd drive spinning up, and the HD,
that says there is activity, you just can't see it.

Try a different monitor (borrow one from someone), ensure your video cables
are connected properly. focus on video as being the cause.  Take it to a good
repair shop.

"Ritter197" wrote:

> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA, Serial
> Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 , HP5013-7947,
> Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the normal
> process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences and
> after it finished ask to "restart".
> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
> screen stays dark.
> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is fine,
> I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up (I can
> exercise brightness control for example)
>
> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>

> .

0
Reply Utf 12/6/2009 11:17:01 PM

The PLUG did not disconnect or I would see no hard drive activity at the
bottom of the computer and the power plug on monitor is also OK and plugged
in.

"Elmo" <elmogeek@xxx.invalid> wrote in message
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
>> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
>> preferences and after it finished, I was asked to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either.  The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
>> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>
> Does no part of the boot sequence show?  Did the plug come disconnected
> from the back of the tower?
>
> --
> Joe   =o)

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 2:43:41 AM

I did and spoke to them over 1 hour. Result - they have NEVER had an
experience like that before and will send new System Recovery disks, even
though I am SURE, that is not the problem. That is why I am posting here.

"Bill Sharpe" <wfsnopam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
>> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
>> preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
>> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>

> Suggest calling HP Total Care at 1-800-474-6836. Support is free if you
> are still within your warranty period, usually 12 months. This is supposed
> to be a 24/7 operation.
>
> Bill

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 2:57:04 AM

I carefully read both referrals. I could not find anything in there that
would solve my problem, since it says to do this or that once a certain
message appears. I get no message and the screen remains black. But the
monitor is plugged into computer and power supply.

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
>> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
>> preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
>> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>
> See if any of these help:
> Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3239117&lang=en&docname=bph07145#bph07145_cp
>
> Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3239117&docname=bph07144
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 3:06:14 AM

I shall try that and report back. Something a little more complicated but I
will try.

"sgopus" <sgopus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It appears that something is not working on your video end, since you got
> thru the install and setting your personal settings etc, then a reboot and
> nothing is displayed, but you can hear the cd drive spinning up, and the
> HD,
> that says there is activity, you just can't see it.
>
> Try a different monitor (borrow one from someone), ensure your video
> cables
> are connected properly. focus on video as being the cause.  Take it to a
> good
> repair shop.
>
> "Ritter197" wrote:
>
>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>> Serial
>> Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 , HP5013-7947,
>> Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the normal
>> process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences and
>> after it finished ask to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine,
>> I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up (I can
>> exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>

>> .

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 3:07:46 AM

I have done that now for 10 minutes. Started up again, no results to report.
I will let it run through the night, I think.

I have done these things before and NEVER had any problems for myself or for
friends, where I helped them.

"C" <nospamming@please.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
>> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
>> preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
>> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>

> Try unplugging the computer from the wall outlet for a minute or two and
> then plug it back in and see if it will fire up.

Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 3:09:36 AM

Ritter197 wrote:
> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went
> through the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my
> personal preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
> screen stays dark.
> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered
> up (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>
> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

FWIW, I believe sgopus seems to be on the right track.

But just to be sure...

You stated, "Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything
either." Were you booting off the hard drive or the CD? Are you able to
access the BIOS? (And if you are unable to access the BIOS, again I
agree this sounds like a video problem.)

0
Reply Daave 12/7/2009 3:22:22 AM

I tried the monitor now on a different desktop (also HP) and it immediately
comes up with Windows 7.
So - we can rule out monitor for sure.

"sgopus" <sgopus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It appears that something is not working on your video end, since you got
> thru the install and setting your personal settings etc, then a reboot and
> nothing is displayed, but you can hear the cd drive spinning up, and the
> HD,
> that says there is activity, you just can't see it.
>
> Try a different monitor (borrow one from someone), ensure your video
> cables
> are connected properly. focus on video as being the cause.  Take it to a
> good
> repair shop.
>
> "Ritter197" wrote:
>
>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>> Serial
>> Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 , HP5013-7947,
>> Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the normal
>> process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences and
>> after it finished ask to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine,
>> I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up (I can
>> exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>

>> .

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 3:29:10 AM

I tried both, because HP support said to try again use their original System
Restore disks.
It does not work.
Staring the computer from the hard disk also does not work.

The monitor is fine. Just put it on a another computer and it comes right
up. (also HP but with Windows 7)

"Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went
>> through the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my
>> personal preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered
>> up (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>
> FWIW, I believe sgopus seems to be on the right track.
>
> But just to be sure...
>
> You stated, "Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything
> either." Were you booting off the hard drive or the CD? Are you able to
> access the BIOS? (And if you are unable to access the BIOS, again I agree
> this sounds like a video problem.)

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 3:31:56 AM

I cannot access the BIOS since nothing comes up on the screen.

"Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went
>> through the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my
>> personal preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered
>> up (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>
> FWIW, I believe sgopus seems to be on the right track.
>
> But just to be sure...
>
> You stated, "Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything
> either." Were you booting off the hard drive or the CD? Are you able to
> access the BIOS? (And if you are unable to access the BIOS, again I agree
> this sounds like a video problem.)

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 3:34:02 AM

1. The disks are the supplied disks from HP called System Recovery.
2. It did a total format and went through all normal operations, never got
stuck. It just does not start up the computer anymore.
3. Before I did have a C:\ drive and a D:\drive restore partition.
4. I wanted to restore the computer to factory condition before I would give
it away. So I used the HP official System Recovery disks.
5. It did initially restore Windows XP (the HP version) since the screen
showed Windows XP. But after it asks to reboot, it brought up nothing.
6. I tried rebooting without disk, with CTL and Backspace, with holding down
F11, F10, ESC, Delete. Nothing helped to show anything on screen

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>>Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>>HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
>>the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
>>preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
>> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>
> I'll ask lots of questions - don't get mad - just asking everything up
> front.
>
> Part numbers mean nothing to me so please break up your message into
> steps.
> The disks - One version uses hidden D partition to restore XP, other CDs
> do a full restore from scratch.  Do you know which happened ?
> and a little background :
> XP was bad ? so you did a QuickRestore ?
> When you started did you have a C (system)and D (restore) partition ?
> Did you boot from CD ? or from XP chose Restore ?
> Sounds like full install vs Restore , right?
> Re:  "  initial reformat " ?
> Did you REINSTALL XP image (successfully), it did the format and then
> rebooted.
> It then walked you thru the install ?
>
> Have you tried booting with no disk in CD ? ( to make sure boot CD not
> trying to read something not yet written to disk)

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 3:36:22 AM

  You didn't read carefully enough, in the first article under the section
"Recovering During Startup" and in the second article under "Starting A
Recovery" they state:
<quote>
Turn on the computer.
Just after the first screen appears (the logo screen), press the F10 key
repeatedly until a recovery menu appears.
</quote>

--

>I carefully read both referrals. I could not find anything in there that
> would solve my problem, since it says to do this or that once a certain
> message appears. I get no message and the screen remains black. But the
> monitor is plugged into computer and power supply.
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
>>> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
>>> preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>>> screen stays dark.
>>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
>>> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>>
>>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>
>> See if any of these help:
>> Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3239117&lang=en&docname=bph07145#bph07145_cp
>>
>> Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3239117&docname=bph07144
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>
>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
>> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Reply Brian 12/7/2009 3:45:28 AM

  Looking at the second article I find in it:
<quote>
If your computer stops responding after using the recovery program, do the
following:
NOTE:  If the computer appears to have stopped responding after restarting from
a recovery, please wait, it may take several hours or longer to complete the
initial Windows XP setup process, especially if a recovery was run from a
recovery disc set sent by HP. A Standard recovery may also take longer,
depending on how many files are stored in user accounts (like in My Documents ).
</quote>

--

Brian A. Sesko
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>I carefully read both referrals. I could not find anything in there that
> would solve my problem, since it says to do this or that once a certain
> message appears. I get no message and the screen remains black. But the
> monitor is plugged into computer and power supply.
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
>>> the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
>>> preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>>> screen stays dark.
>>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
>>> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>>
>>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>
>> See if any of these help:
>> Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3239117&lang=en&docname=bph07145#bph07145_cp
>>
>> Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3239117&docname=bph07144
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>
>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
>> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Reply Brian 12/7/2009 3:57:12 AM

  Sorry, had a brain fart.  If the monitor screen is blank then obviously you
can't see the logo screen.  My bad.

--

>  You didn't read carefully enough, in the first article under the section
> "Recovering During Startup" and in the second article under "Starting A
> Recovery" they state:
> <quote>
> Turn on the computer.
> Just after the first screen appears (the logo screen), press the F10 key
> repeatedly until a recovery menu appears.
> </quote>
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I carefully read both referrals. I could not find anything in there that
>> would solve my problem, since it says to do this or that once a certain
>> message appears. I get no message and the screen remains black. But the
>> monitor is plugged into computer and power supply.
>>
>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> See if any of these help:
>>> Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3239117&lang=en&docname=bph07145#bph07145_cp
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3239117&docname=bph07144
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian A. Sesko
>>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>>
>>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm How
>>> to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Reply Brian 12/7/2009 3:59:59 AM

try the F10/F11 on boot and see if there is a good partition on the restore
the CD only reloaded that partition. You may have a bad hard drive and Drive
C is missing. Also you have to check in the bio's to make sure it boots from
CD. If no bio's the motherboard may be bad. I know not good new but a
direction to check.

F1/F2 esc or del to get to bio menu

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the
>normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences
>and after it finished ask to "restart".
> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
> screen stays dark.
> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>
> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

0
Reply Donnie 12/7/2009 4:44:19 AM

Something (obviously) went wrong!

I am not surprised you cannot boot from the hard drive. However, what
method did you use to attempt to boot from the CD?

It's still possible you can access the BIOS even though nothing comes up
on the screen. Just humor me and press the correct key (F1 or F2, I
believe) *immediately* and repeatedly after turning on the PC to see
what happens.

If there is no video and since the monitor works elsewhere, it must be
either a connection problem (or perhaps a monitor setting is wrong) or a
problem with the graphics card.

Also, since this is clearly not a Windows issue, I recommend that you
post to an HP forum. This page should be a good place to start:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/

Ritter197 wrote:
> I tried both, because HP support said to try again use their original
> System Restore disks.
> It does not work.
> Staring the computer from the hard disk also does not work.
>
> The monitor is fine. Just put it on a another computer and it comes
> right up. (also HP but with Windows 7)

and later

> I cannot access the BIOS since nothing comes up on the screen.

> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
>> Ritter197 wrote:
>>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number
>>> RC652AA, Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1
>>> and 2 , HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and
>>> went through the normal process including setting up Windows XP for
>>> my personal preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the
>>> computer. Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do
>>> anything either. The screen stays dark.
>>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive
>>> is fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and
>>> powered up (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>>
>>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>
>> FWIW, I believe sgopus seems to be on the right track.
>>
>> But just to be sure...
>>
>> You stated, "Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do
>> anything either." Were you booting off the hard drive or the CD? Are
>> you able to access the BIOS? (And if you are unable to access the
>> BIOS, again I agree this sounds like a video problem.)

0
Reply Daave 12/7/2009 5:21:40 AM

Ritter197 wrote:
> The PLUG did not disconnect or I would see no hard drive activity at the
> bottom of the computer and the power plug on monitor is also OK and
> plugged in.

To repeat, with hopefully, more clarity this time:

Did the plug from the monitor to the tower come loose?  That's the plug
that supplies the video signal, not the power plug..

--
Joe   =o)
0

Try a different video card, is your's an onboard video (built in to the
motherboard)?

"Ritter197" wrote:

> I tried the monitor now on a different desktop (also HP) and it immediately
> comes up with Windows 7.
> So - we can rule out monitor for sure.
>
> "sgopus" <sgopus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It appears that something is not working on your video end, since you got
> > thru the install and setting your personal settings etc, then a reboot and
> > nothing is displayed, but you can hear the cd drive spinning up, and the
> > HD,
> > that says there is activity, you just can't see it.
> >
> > Try a different monitor (borrow one from someone), ensure your video
> > cables
> > are connected properly. focus on video as being the cause.  Take it to a
> > good
> > repair shop.
> >
> > "Ritter197" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
> >> Serial
> >> Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 , HP5013-7947,
> >> Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through the normal
> >> process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences and
> >> after it finished ask to "restart".
> >> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
> >> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
> >> screen stays dark.
> >> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
> >> fine,
> >> I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up (I can
> >> exercise brightness control for example)
> >>
> >> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
> >>

> >> .
> >>
> .

0
Reply Utf 12/7/2009 6:01:01 AM

Ritter197 wrote:
> I cannot access the BIOS since nothing comes up on the screen.

Try removing the video card and reseating it. Use compressed air to blow
out the video card's slot. If that doesn't work, try using a known
working video card.

Reply C 12/7/2009 10:31:03 AM

NO. Absolutely not. I can see during power up of the computer a slight
flicker, the screen getting just a tiny bit more grey from black and back.
Monitor is OK.

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> The PLUG did not disconnect or I would see no hard drive activity at the
>> bottom of the computer and the power plug on monitor is also OK and
>> plugged in.
>
> To repeat, with hopefully, more clarity this time:
>
> Did the plug from the monitor to the tower come loose?  That's the plug
> that supplies the video signal, not the power plug..
>
>> "Elmo" <elmogeek@xxx.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Does no part of the boot sequence show?  Did the plug come disconnected
>>> from the back of the tower?
>
> --
> Joe   =o)

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 1:03:43 PM

I did read that and I DID try that. No results.

>  You didn't read carefully enough, in the first article under the section
> "Recovering During Startup" and in the second article under "Starting A
> Recovery" they state:
> <quote>
> Turn on the computer.
> Just after the first screen appears (the logo screen), press the F10 key
> repeatedly until a recovery menu appears.
> </quote>
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I carefully read both referrals. I could not find anything in there that
>> would solve my problem, since it says to do this or that once a certain
>> message appears. I get no message and the screen remains black. But the
>> monitor is plugged into computer and power supply.
>>
>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> See if any of these help:
>>> Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3239117&lang=en&docname=bph07145#bph07145_cp
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3239117&docname=bph07144
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian A. Sesko
>>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>>
>>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:
>>> http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
>>> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 1:04:25 PM

I just came into the room where I let the computer run the whole night. No
image on the screen. Hitting Enter or any other key does not bring the
computer to life. Turning it off this morning (After 9 hours being on) and
then on does not get the desired results.
The monitor is ok, properly connected and powered, I see during start up a
slight flicker into grey and back to black a few times on the screen.

>  Looking at the second article I find in it:
> <quote>
> If your computer stops responding after using the recovery program, do the
> following:
> NOTE:  If the computer appears to have stopped responding after restarting
> from a recovery, please wait, it may take several hours or longer to
> complete the initial Windows XP setup process, especially if a recovery
> was run from a recovery disc set sent by HP. A Standard recovery may also
> take longer, depending on how many files are stored in user accounts (like
> in My Documents ).
> </quote>
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I carefully read both referrals. I could not find anything in there that
>> would solve my problem, since it says to do this or that once a certain
>> message appears. I get no message and the screen remains black. But the
>> monitor is plugged into computer and power supply.
>>
>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> See if any of these help:
>>> Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3239117&lang=en&docname=bph07145#bph07145_cp
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3239117&docname=bph07144
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian A. Sesko
>>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>>
>>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:
>>> http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
>>> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 1:08:43 PM

NO, it is a separate video card. I have no other around, but it was running
fine until the system told me to restart.

> Try a different video card, is your's an onboard video (built in to the
> motherboard)?
>

> "Ritter197" wrote:
>
>> I tried the monitor now on a different desktop (also HP) and it
>> immediately
>> comes up with Windows 7.
>> So - we can rule out monitor for sure.
>>
>> "sgopus" <sgopus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It appears that something is not working on your video end, since you
>> > got
>> > thru the install and setting your personal settings etc, then a reboot
>> > and
>> > nothing is displayed, but you can hear the cd drive spinning up, and
>> > the
>> > HD,
>> > that says there is activity, you just can't see it.
>> >
>> > Try a different monitor (borrow one from someone), ensure your video
>> > cables
>> > are connected properly. focus on video as being the cause.  Take it to
>> > good
>> > repair shop.

>> .

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 1:09:57 PM

I did try F1 and F2 at start up.
I am not at all sure it is not a Windows issue. Anyhow, I will ALSO post at
the suggested link, but here I get the most responses and will continue to
respond and try things, that you good people suggest.
It is NOT a connection problem.
I am also not a newbie, having worked with computers since the DOS days and
24 years at IBM.

> Something (obviously) went wrong!
>
> I am not surprised you cannot boot from the hard drive. However, what
> method did you use to attempt to boot from the CD?
>
> It's still possible you can access the BIOS even though nothing comes up
> on the screen. Just humor me and press the correct key (F1 or F2, I
> believe) *immediately* and repeatedly after turning on the PC to see what
> happens.
>
> If there is no video and since the monitor works elsewhere, it must be
> either a connection problem (or perhaps a monitor setting is wrong) or a
> problem with the graphics card.
>
> Also, since this is clearly not a Windows issue, I recommend that you post
> to an HP forum. This page should be a good place to start:
>
> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/
>

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I tried both, because HP support said to try again use their original
>> System Restore disks.
>> It does not work.
>> Staring the computer from the hard disk also does not work.
>>
>> The monitor is fine. Just put it on a another computer and it comes
>> right up. (also HP but with Windows 7)
>
> and later
>
>> I cannot access the BIOS since nothing comes up on the screen.
>
>> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message

>>> FWIW, I believe sgopus seems to be on the right track.
>>>
>>> But just to be sure...
>>>
>>> You stated, "Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do
>>> anything either." Were you booting off the hard drive or the CD? Are
>>> you able to access the BIOS? (And if you are unable to access the
>>> BIOS, again I agree this sounds like a video problem.)

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 1:13:52 PM

I have opened the case and blew out some minor dust. I did not reseat the
video card and will try that. Let you know.

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I cannot access the BIOS since nothing comes up on the screen.
>
> Try removing the video card and reseating it. Use compressed air to blow
> out the video card's slot. If that doesn't work, try using a known working
> video card.

Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 1:15:08 PM

Hurray! I just found on the Video card a second outlet which I had never
used before.
It worked and I can get to BIOS. I am now just re-doing the System Restore
from HP CD's and hope all will go well this time.
How this first outlet on the video card SUDDENLY (because I had never used
the other and it worked until I was told on the screen to restart, is a
complete mystery) and must have been a total coincidence.

Thanks for all your good comments and suggestion though.

Have a great holiday time whether it is Hanukah or Christmas or Advent.

> I just came into the room where I let the computer run the whole night. No
> image on the screen. Hitting Enter or any other key does not bring the
> computer to life. Turning it off this morning (After 9 hours being on) and
> then on does not get the desired results.
> The monitor is ok, properly connected and powered, I see during start up a
> slight flicker into grey and back to black a few times on the screen.
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>>  Looking at the second article I find in it:
>> <quote>
>> If your computer stops responding after using the recovery program, do
>> the following:
>> NOTE:  If the computer appears to have stopped responding after
>> restarting from a recovery, please wait, it may take several hours or
>> longer to complete the initial Windows XP setup process, especially if a
>> recovery was run from a recovery disc set sent by HP. A Standard recovery
>> may also take longer, depending on how many files are stored in user
>> accounts (like in My Documents ).
>> </quote>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>
>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
>> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I carefully read both referrals. I could not find anything in there that
>>> would solve my problem, since it says to do this or that once a certain
>>> message appears. I get no message and the screen remains black. But the
>>> monitor is plugged into computer and power supply.
>>>
>>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 1:44:46 PM

Comments inline.

Ritter197 wrote:
> I did try F1 and F2 at start up.
> I am not at all sure it is not a Windows issue.

Since you are unable to access the PC's BIOS, which has *absolutely*
nothing to do with Windows, this is by defintion a non-Windows issue.

> Anyhow, I will ALSO
> post at the suggested link, but here I get the most responses and
> will continue to respond and try things, that you good people suggest.

That's fine as I'm curious to know what the cause and solution are. But
I also wanted to help guide you to the place where you would have an
even better chance of finding a solution.

> It is NOT a connection problem.

If it is not a connection problem and if the settings on the monitor are
correct (sometimes a simple switch in the wrong position is the
culprit -- I've seen this myself!), then this does point to a
problematic graphics card. Either that or the CMOS chip or battery are
the culprits. The real problem right now is the inability to access the
BIOS. Once this is done, Windows can always be reinstalled.

> I am also not a newbie, having worked with computers since the DOS
> days and 24 years at IBM.

That must make this one particular case quite vexing!

> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
>> Something (obviously) went wrong!
>>
>> I am not surprised you cannot boot from the hard drive. However, what
>> method did you use to attempt to boot from the CD?
>>
>> It's still possible you can access the BIOS even though nothing
>> comes up on the screen. Just humor me and press the correct key (F1
>> or F2, I believe) *immediately* and repeatedly after turning on the
>> PC to see what happens.
>>
>> If there is no video and since the monitor works elsewhere, it must
>> be either a connection problem (or perhaps a monitor setting is
>> wrong) or a problem with the graphics card.
>>
>> Also, since this is clearly not a Windows issue, I recommend that
>> you post to an HP forum. This page should be a good place to start:
>>
>> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/
>>

>> Ritter197 wrote:
>>> I tried both, because HP support said to try again use their
>>> original System Restore disks.
>>> It does not work.
>>> Staring the computer from the hard disk also does not work.
>>>
>>> The monitor is fine. Just put it on a another computer and it comes
>>> right up. (also HP but with Windows 7)
>>
>> and later
>>
>>> I cannot access the BIOS since nothing comes up on the screen.
>>
>>> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message

0
Reply Daave 12/7/2009 1:57:09 PM

YW and thanks for letting us know.

Ritter197 wrote:
> Hurray! I just found on the Video card a second outlet which I had
> never used before.
> It worked and I can get to BIOS. I am now just re-doing the System
> Restore from HP CD's and hope all will go well this time.
> How this first outlet on the video card SUDDENLY (because I had never
> used the other and it worked until I was told on the screen to
> restart, is a complete mystery) and must have been a total
> coincidence.
> Thanks for all your good comments and suggestion though.
>
> Have a great holiday time whether it is Hanukah or Christmas or
> Advent.

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I just came into the room where I let the computer run the whole
>> night. No image on the screen. Hitting Enter or any other key does
>> not bring the computer to life. Turning it off this morning (After 9
>> hours being on) and then on does not get the desired results.
>> The monitor is ok, properly connected and powered, I see during
>> start up a slight flicker into grey and back to black a few times on
>> the screen. "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>>>  Looking at the second article I find in it:
>>> <quote>
>>> If your computer stops responding after using the recovery program,
>>> do the following:
>>> NOTE:  If the computer appears to have stopped responding after
>>> restarting from a recovery, please wait, it may take several hours
>>> or longer to complete the initial Windows XP setup process,
>>> especially if a recovery was run from a recovery disc set sent by
>>> HP. A Standard recovery may also take longer, depending on how many
>>> files are stored in user accounts (like in My Documents ).
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian A. Sesko
>>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>>
>>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:
>>> http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm How to ask a question:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "Ritter197"
>>> <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

0
Reply Daave 12/7/2009 1:58:40 PM

Ritter197 wrote:
> I did try F1 and F2 at start up.
> I am not at all sure it is not a Windows issue. Anyhow, I will ALSO post
> at the suggested link, but here I get the most responses and will
> continue to respond and try things, that you good people suggest.
> It is NOT a connection problem.
> I am also not a newbie, having worked with computers since the DOS days
> and 24 years at IBM.

Some motherboards want you to hit Del to access the BIOS.

Reply C 12/7/2009 2:08:41 PM

Ritter197 wrote:

> Hurray! I just found on the Video card a second outlet which I had never
> used before.
> It worked and I can get to BIOS. I am now just re-doing the System
> Restore from HP CD's and hope all will go well this time.
> How this first outlet on the video card SUDDENLY (because I had never
> used the other and it worked until I was told on the screen to restart,
> is a complete mystery) and must have been a total coincidence.
>
> Thanks for all your good comments and suggestion though.
>
> Have a great holiday time whether it is Hanukah or Christmas or Advent.

That indicates the video card is going south. I would replace it.

Reply C 12/7/2009 2:11:12 PM

  Glad to see you're back up and running.  Hope everything goes without a hitch
this time around, good luck.

--

> Hurray! I just found on the Video card a second outlet which I had never
> used before.
> It worked and I can get to BIOS. I am now just re-doing the System Restore
> from HP CD's and hope all will go well this time.
> How this first outlet on the video card SUDDENLY (because I had never used
> the other and it worked until I was told on the screen to restart, is a
> complete mystery) and must have been a total coincidence.
>
> Thanks for all your good comments and suggestion though.
>
> Have a great holiday time whether it is Hanukah or Christmas or Advent.
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I just came into the room where I let the computer run the whole night.
>> No image on the screen. Hitting Enter or any other key does not bring the
>> computer to life. Turning it off this morning (After 9 hours being on)
>> and then on does not get the desired results.
>> The monitor is ok, properly connected and powered, I see during start up
>> a slight flicker into grey and back to black a few times on the screen.
>>
>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>>>  Looking at the second article I find in it:
>>> <quote>
>>> If your computer stops responding after using the recovery program, do
>>> the following:
>>> NOTE:  If the computer appears to have stopped responding after
>>> restarting from a recovery, please wait, it may take several hours or
>>> longer to complete the initial Windows XP setup process, especially if a
>>> recovery was run from a recovery disc set sent by HP. A Standard
>>> recovery may also take longer, depending on how many files are stored
>>> in user accounts (like in My Documents ).
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian A. Sesko
>>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>>
>>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm How
>>> to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>>
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

0
Reply Brian 12/7/2009 6:07:43 PM

Sorry I am not familiar with your model, so
> The disks - One version ( on Compaq PC's anyways)
> uses hidden D partition to restore XP, other CDs do a full restore from
> scratch (everything needed is on CD).
Do you know which happened ?
When it "rebooted " was it still installing XP ?
Announced - " need to reboot to contunue " for example.
I'm wondering ... did you see format process ?
Maybe ?? you HAD C and D before - you elected ( ?) to ONLY restore C:, so
install went along, formatted the DRIVE as one partition , rebooted ( the
SOFTWARE then tries to continue install - went to drive D and - it's now
blank ? or No D partition ? )
Can you get win98 floppy run Fdisk ?
Better yet - if so, format it and give it away as-is !

> 1. The disks are the supplied disks from HP called System Recovery.
> 2. It did a total format and went through all normal operations, never got
> stuck. It just does not start up the computer anymore.
> 3. Before I did have a C:\ drive and a D:\drive restore partition.
> 4. I wanted to restore the computer to factory condition before I would
> give
> it away. So I used the HP official System Recovery disks.
> 5. It did initially restore Windows XP (the HP version) since the screen
> showed Windows XP. But after it asks to reboot, it brought up nothing.
> 6. I tried rebooting without disk, with CTL and Backspace, with holding
> down
> F11, F10, ESC, Delete. Nothing helped to show anything on screen

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>>>Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>>>HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
>>>the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
>>>preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>>> screen stays dark.
>>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
>>> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>>
>>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>>
>> I'll ask lots of questions - don't get mad - just asking everything up
>> front.
>>
>> Part numbers mean nothing to me so please break up your message into
>> steps.
>> The disks - One version uses hidden D partition to restore XP, other CDs
>> do a full restore from scratch.  Do you know which happened ?
>> and a little background :
>> XP was bad ? so you did a QuickRestore ?
>> When you started did you have a C (system)and D (restore) partition ?
>> Did you boot from CD ? or from XP chose Restore ?
>> Sounds like full install vs Restore , right?
>> Re:  "  initial reformat " ?
>> Did you REINSTALL XP image (successfully), it did the format and then
>> rebooted.
>> It then walked you thru the install ?
>>
>> Have you tried booting with no disk in CD ? ( to make sure boot CD not
>> trying to read something not yet written to disk)

0
Reply Bobb 12/7/2009 6:55:40 PM

On 12/6/2009 9:36 PM, Ritter197 wrote:
> 1. The disks are the supplied disks from HP called System Recovery.
> 2. It did a total format and went through all normal operations, never got
> stuck. It just does not start up the computer anymore.
> 3. Before I did have a C:\ drive and a D:\drive restore partition.
> 4. I wanted to restore the computer to factory condition before I would
> give
> it away. So I used the HP official System Recovery disks.
> 5. It did initially restore Windows XP (the HP version) since the screen
> showed Windows XP. But after it asks to reboot, it brought up nothing.
> 6. I tried rebooting without disk, with CTL and Backspace, with holding
> down
> F11, F10, ESC, Delete. Nothing helped to show anything on screen

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went
>>> through the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my
>>> personal preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either.
>>> The screen stays dark.
>>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered
>>> up (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>>
>>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?
>>>
>> I'll ask lots of questions - don't get mad - just asking everything up
>> front.
>>
>> Part numbers mean nothing to me so please break up your message into
>> steps.
>> The disks - One version uses hidden D partition to restore XP, other
>> CDs do a full restore from scratch.  Do you know which happened ?
>> and a little background :
>> XP was bad ? so you did a QuickRestore ?
>> When you started did you have a C (system)and D (restore) partition ?
>> Did you boot from CD ? or from XP chose Restore ?
>> Sounds like full install vs Restore , right?
>> Re:  "  initial reformat " ?
>> Did you REINSTALL XP image (successfully), it did the format and then
>> rebooted.
>> It then walked you thru the install ?
>>
>> Have you tried booting with no disk in CD ? ( to make sure boot CD not
>> trying to read something not yet written to disk)

I'm wondering... does this PC have one or two hard drives?  Reason I ask
is that I had a HP PC that when you used the restore disk you had to
disconnect everything except the keyboard, mouse and only have one hard
drive attached to the system.  Maybe this is applies in this case?

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3

0
Reply Roy 12/7/2009 9:13:14 PM

1 physical hard drive. HP partitions it into 2 HD's, c: and D:

"Roy Smith" <rasmith1959@live.com> wrote in message
> On 12/6/2009 9:36 PM, Ritter197 wrote:
>> 1. The disks are the supplied disks from HP called System Recovery.
>> 2. It did a total format and went through all normal operations, never
>> got
>> stuck. It just does not start up the computer anymore.
>> 3. Before I did have a C:\ drive and a D:\drive restore partition.
>> 4. I wanted to restore the computer to factory condition before I would
>> give
>> it away. So I used the HP official System Recovery disks.
>> 5. It did initially restore Windows XP (the HP version) since the screen
>> showed Windows XP. But after it asks to reboot, it brought up nothing.
>> 6. I tried rebooting without disk, with CTL and Backspace, with holding
>> down
>> F11, F10, ESC, Delete. Nothing helped to show anything on screen
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> I'll ask lots of questions - don't get mad - just asking everything up
>>> front.
>>>
>>> Part numbers mean nothing to me so please break up your message into
>>> steps.
>>> The disks - One version uses hidden D partition to restore XP, other
>>> CDs do a full restore from scratch.  Do you know which happened ?
>>> and a little background :
>>> XP was bad ? so you did a QuickRestore ?
>>> When you started did you have a C (system)and D (restore) partition ?
>>> Did you boot from CD ? or from XP chose Restore ?
>>> Sounds like full install vs Restore , right?
>>> Re:  "  initial reformat " ?
>>> Did you REINSTALL XP image (successfully), it did the format and then
>>> rebooted.
>>> It then walked you thru the install ?
>>>
>>> Have you tried booting with no disk in CD ? ( to make sure boot CD not
>>> trying to read something not yet written to disk)
>
> I'm wondering... does this PC have one or two hard drives?  Reason I ask
> is that I had a HP PC that when you used the restore disk you had to
> disconnect everything except the keyboard, mouse and only have one hard
> drive attached to the system.  Maybe this is applies in this case?
>
> --
>
> Roy Smith
> Windows XP Pro SP3

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 10:06:57 PM

Video card is OK.

> Ritter197 wrote:
>>
>> Hurray! I just found on the Video card a second outlet which I had never
>> used before.
>> It worked and I can get to BIOS. I am now just re-doing the System
>> Restore from HP CD's and hope all will go well this time.
>> How this first outlet on the video card SUDDENLY (because I had never
>> used the other and it worked until I was told on the screen to restart,
>> is a complete mystery) and must have been a total coincidence.
>>
>> Thanks for all your good comments and suggestion though.
>>
>> Have a great holiday time whether it is Hanukah or Christmas or Advent.
>
> That indicates the video card is going south. I would replace it.

Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 10:07:44 PM

Well, guys, everything went as expected with the 2 HP supplied recovery
disks.
BUT - after all installation went totally without a problem, it comes after
Reboot up with a message:

SW Build ID different from Recovery disks ID.

I gave the SW build ID of the HP original System restore disks to HP, when I
spoke to them. They had me turn the computer over, because at the bottom is
also a SW build code. It is EXACTLY the same.

So now I thought we were in HP heaven, but the machine does still not work.
Sorry.  (HP will send new Disks, but I cannot see that it could be the
problem)

>  Glad to see you're back up and running.  Hope everything goes without a
> hitch this time around, good luck.
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>
> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hurray! I just found on the Video card a second outlet which I had never
>> used before.
>> It worked and I can get to BIOS. I am now just re-doing the System
>> Restore
>> from HP CD's and hope all will go well this time.
>> How this first outlet on the video card SUDDENLY (because I had never
>> used
>> the other and it worked until I was told on the screen to restart, is a
>> complete mystery) and must have been a total coincidence.
>>
>> Thanks for all your good comments and suggestion though.
>>
>> Have a great holiday time whether it is Hanukah or Christmas or Advent.
>>
>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I just came into the room where I let the computer run the whole night.
>>> No image on the screen. Hitting Enter or any other key does not bring
>>> the
>>> computer to life. Turning it off this morning (After 9 hours being on)
>>> and then on does not get the desired results.
>>> The monitor is ok, properly connected and powered, I see during start up
>>> a slight flicker into grey and back to black a few times on the screen.
>>>
>>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 10:12:27 PM

Daave, right, quite vexing indeed.

> Comments inline.
>
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I did try F1 and F2 at start up.
>> I am not at all sure it is not a Windows issue.
>
> Since you are unable to access the PC's BIOS, which has *absolutely*
> nothing to do with Windows, this is by defintion a non-Windows issue.
>
>> Anyhow, I will ALSO
>> post at the suggested link, but here I get the most responses and
>> will continue to respond and try things, that you good people suggest.
>
> That's fine as I'm curious to know what the cause and solution are. But I
> also wanted to help guide you to the place where you would have an even
> better chance of finding a solution.
>
>> It is NOT a connection problem.
>
> If it is not a connection problem and if the settings on the monitor are
> correct (sometimes a simple switch in the wrong position is the culprit --
> I've seen this myself!), then this does point to a problematic graphics
> card. Either that or the CMOS chip or battery are the culprits. The real
> problem right now is the inability to access the BIOS. Once this is done,
> Windows can always be reinstalled.
>
>> I am also not a newbie, having worked with computers since the DOS
>> days and 24 years at IBM.
>
> That must make this one particular case quite vexing!
>

>> "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
>>> Something (obviously) went wrong!
>>>
>>> I am not surprised you cannot boot from the hard drive. However, what
>>> method did you use to attempt to boot from the CD?
>>>
>>> It's still possible you can access the BIOS even though nothing
>>> comes up on the screen. Just humor me and press the correct key (F1
>>> or F2, I believe) *immediately* and repeatedly after turning on the
>>> PC to see what happens.
>>>
>>> If there is no video and since the monitor works elsewhere, it must
>>> be either a connection problem (or perhaps a monitor setting is
>>> wrong) or a problem with the graphics card.
>>>
>>> Also, since this is clearly not a Windows issue, I recommend that
>>> you post to an HP forum. This page should be a good place to start:
>>>
>>> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/

>>> and later

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 10:13:32 PM

No problem, I got to MB and selected as first start the CD. After
installation I changed it back to HD.
But see my comments since then please.

> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I did try F1 and F2 at start up.
>> I am not at all sure it is not a Windows issue. Anyhow, I will ALSO post
>> at the suggested link, but here I get the most responses and will
>> continue to respond and try things, that you good people suggest.
>> It is NOT a connection problem.
>> I am also not a newbie, having worked with computers since the DOS days
>> and 24 years at IBM.
>
> Some motherboards want you to hit Del to access the BIOS.

Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 10:14:45 PM

On 12/7/2009 4:07 PM, Ritter197 wrote:
> Video card is OK.
>
> "C" <nospamming@please.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Ritter197 wrote:
>>>
>>> Hurray! I just found on the Video card a second outlet which I had
>>> never used before.
>>> It worked and I can get to BIOS. I am now just re-doing the System
>>> Restore from HP CD's and hope all will go well this time.
>>> How this first outlet on the video card SUDDENLY (because I had never
>>> used the other and it worked until I was told on the screen to
>>> restart, is a complete mystery) and must have been a total coincidence.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your good comments and suggestion though.
>>>
>>> Have a great holiday time whether it is Hanukah or Christmas or Advent.
>>
>> That indicates the video card is going south. I would replace it.

Not if it has 2 ports and only 1 of them is working.

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Pro SP3

0
Reply Roy 12/7/2009 10:39:24 PM

I cannot argue that but this port works fine now. Video is not the problem,
believe . At least not with the problem at hand

> On 12/7/2009 4:07 PM, Ritter197 wrote:
>> Video card is OK.
>>
>> "C" <nospamming@please.com.invalid> wrote in message

>>> That indicates the video card is going south. I would replace it.
>
> Not if it has 2 ports and only 1 of them is working.
>
> --
>
> Roy Smith
> Windows XP Pro SP3

0
Reply Ritter197 12/7/2009 10:52:22 PM

Ritter197 wrote:
> I cannot argue that but this port works fine now. Video is not the
> problem, believe . At least not with the problem at hand

One port is gone. Expect the other one to be gone soon.

> "Roy Smith" <rasmith1959@live.com> wrote in message
>> On 12/7/2009 4:07 PM, Ritter197 wrote:
>>> Video card is OK.
>>>
>>> "C" <nospamming@please.com.invalid> wrote in message

>> Not if it has 2 ports and only 1 of them is working.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Roy Smith
>> Windows XP Pro SP3

Reply C 12/8/2009 12:23:59 AM

  The new disks being sent by HP may not work if the DMI is missing the Build
ID.  It appears it "may" possibly be an HP issue, although a rare one.
From:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1239565652015+28353475&threadId=1229454

<quote>
If the DMI image is missing from the drive the recovery process will re-copy the
image from the "Motherboard Bios" to the hard disk during the recovery. The
problem is the someone forgot to put the "Build-ID" code, which identifies the
"as Delivered" software configuration, onto the bios. All other data is present
and readable indicating that this is not a failure but a manufacturing defect
which does not appear until one trys to use "HP Retail" recovery disks.
</quote>

  Although the above link doesn't verify it's an HP issue, one of the causes for
the error mentioned Under the section "Error: These PC Recovery discs do Not
support this PC model." at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07144#N1496
<quote>
The configuration data on the motherboard or hard drive was not properly
configured at the factory when the PC was manufactured.
</quote>

  Althoug the error may not be exactly as yours, the sections mentions comparing
the PC and recovery discs BuildID.

--

> Well, guys, everything went as expected with the 2 HP supplied recovery
> disks.
> BUT - after all installation went totally without a problem, it comes
> after Reboot up with a message:
>
> SW Build ID different from Recovery disks ID.
>
> I gave the SW build ID of the HP original System restore disks to HP,
> when I spoke to them. They had me turn the computer over, because at the
> bottom is also a SW build code. It is EXACTLY the same.
>
> So now I thought we were in HP heaven, but the machine does still not
> work. Sorry.  (HP will send new Disks, but I cannot see that it could be
> the problem)
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>>  Glad to see you're back up and running.  Hope everything goes without a
>> hitch this time around, good luck.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>>
>> Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
>> How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>>

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hurray! I just found on the Video card a second outlet which I had never
>>> used before.
>>> It worked and I can get to BIOS. I am now just re-doing the System
>>> Restore
>>> from HP CD's and hope all will go well this time.
>>> How this first outlet on the video card SUDDENLY (because I had never
>>> used
>>> the other and it worked until I was told on the screen to restart, is a
>>> complete mystery) and must have been a total coincidence.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your good comments and suggestion though.
>>>
>>> Have a great holiday time whether it is Hanukah or Christmas or Advent.
>>>
>>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message

0
Reply Brian 12/8/2009 1:24:02 AM

C wrote:
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> I cannot argue that but this port works fine now. Video is not the
>> problem, believe . At least not with the problem at hand
>
> One port is gone. Expect the other one to be gone soon.

Or the gone port was disabled by the BIOS upgrade!!

The now newly discovered apparently functional port is the BIOS
"factory" default!

Geoff
ExploitEd

Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I do wish I could
remember the darn question

0
Reply JacobH 12/8/2009 11:02:51 AM

I wish it were so. It is NOT the case in mine.  I can access F1, F10 and F11
and ESC. fine. BUT   -----

I have the original HP disks that came with the HP computer. I wanted to
wipe everything and restore to factory condition, since I want to give this
computer away and have 2 other HP computers and another HP copier. HP all
around.

I did the Recovery and all went fine except after reboot now it said it
would personalize and now I got a screen that has been running all through
the night and "personalize" the computer. It never stopped. It still says
after 10 hours to "wait"

Here is some additional detail.

I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA, Serial
Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 , HP5013-7947,
Build 64NAemMPA3 The same number at the bottom of the HP computer)

I did the initial reformat and went through the normal
process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences and
after it finished ask to "restart".

It just NEVER finishes. So it is a pious wish, if you think the recovery
disks by HP WILL restore to factory settings and you are on your way again.

I am STILL waiting!!!!

"Donnie Rucker" <brucker@cherokeetel.com> wrote in message
> try the F10/F11 on boot and see if there is a good partition on the
> restore the CD only reloaded that partition. You may have a bad hard drive
> and Drive C is missing. Also you have to check in the bio's to make sure
> it boots from CD. If no bio's the motherboard may be bad. I know not good
> new but a direction to check.
>
> F1/F2 esc or del to get to bio menu
>

> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>>Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>>HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and went through
>>the normal process including setting up Windows XP for my personal
>>preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the computer.
>> Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do anything either. The
>> screen stays dark.
>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive is
>> fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and powered up
>> (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>
>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

0
Reply Ritter197 12/8/2009 2:19:56 PM

*What* is not the case? According to this page:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

.... the correct key to enter the BIOS of your HP is either F1 or F2 (Esc
for a laptop, but yours is a desktop). I thought that once you swapped
video cards, the monitor was no longer blank. Is entering the BIOS even
an issue anymore? Entering the BIOS was originally mentioned to ensure
your boot order has the CD ahead of the hard drive.

When one uses a regular Windows XP installation CD, upon reboot it is
*extremely* important *not* to boot off the CD again -- you want to boot
off the hard drive. Since I'm not familiar with HP recovery media, I
can't offer advice for that, though. That's why I think it's good to
post your question also to the HP forum. Did you do that yet? If so,
please provide a link to your thread as I am curious to see what the

Perhaps your HP CD is defective somehow. Or maybe your optical drive.

Another thing to try is the generic OEM (System Builder) Windows XP (I
assume it is Home in your case) installation CD, using the Product Key
on the COA sticker. For what it's worth, the last time I did this with
an HP laptop, I had to use HP's *generic* Product Key (the "golden
master" key from the Recovery CD) during installation and then later the
key from the COA sticker when I activated. I'm not sure why this was the
case. Perhaps it was because I was using a custom-made XP installation
CD that had SP3 slipstreamed onto it.

Ritter197 wrote:
> I wish it were so. It is NOT the case in mine.  I can access F1, F10
> and F11 and ESC. fine. BUT   -----
>
> I have the original HP disks that came with the HP computer. I wanted
> to wipe everything and restore to factory condition, since I want to
> give this computer away and have 2 other HP computers and another HP
> copier. HP all around.
>
> I did the Recovery and all went fine except after reboot now it said
> it would personalize and now I got a screen that has been running all
> through the night and "personalize" the computer. It never stopped.
> It still says after 10 hours to "wait"
>
> Here is some additional detail.
>
> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 The same number at the bottom of the HP
> computer)
> I did the initial reformat and went through the normal
> process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences
> and after it finished ask to "restart".
>
> It just NEVER finishes. So it is a pious wish, if you think the
> recovery disks by HP WILL restore to factory settings and you are on
> your way again.
> I am STILL waiting!!!!
>
> "Donnie Rucker" <brucker@cherokeetel.com> wrote in message
>> try the F10/F11 on boot and see if there is a good partition on the
>> restore the CD only reloaded that partition. You may have a bad hard
>> drive and Drive C is missing. Also you have to check in the bio's to
>> make sure it boots from CD. If no bio's the motherboard may be bad.
>> I know not good new but a direction to check.
>>
>> F1/F2 esc or del to get to bio menu
>>

>> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number
>>> RC652AA, Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1
>>> and 2 , HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 did the initial reformat and
>>> went through the normal process including setting up Windows XP for
>>> my personal preferences and after it finished ask to "restart".
>>> I did that and since then nothing happens when I turn on the
>>> computer. Inserting the HP recovery disks again does not do
>>> anything either. The screen stays dark.
>>> The computer is on, I can see the hard disk spinning, the CD drive
>>> is fine, I can hear it spin up, and the monitor is connected and
>>> powered up (I can exercise brightness control for example)
>>>
>>> What do I do now to get the computer working again?

0
Reply Daave 12/8/2009 2:54:19 PM

1. What is not the case is a response to an earlier posted message where it
was stated that HP Recovery disks restore to Factory condition.
2 .I know how to get to BIOS. F1 and F2 work
3. I do not believe that the HP CD's are defective, since they start and run
to the finish fine. It is the Restart and then Peronalize Settings that
keeps on going for 10 hours and never stops. after eventual shutdown by me
and starting again, I can see the Windows XP but then it goes again into the
Personaliztion and the same story. No stop, no finish.
4. I do not have the OEM System Builder Windows XP.

> [...]
>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 The same number at the bottom of the HP
>> computer)
>> I did the initial reformat and went through the normal
>> process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences
>> and after it finished ask to "restart".
>>
>> It just NEVER finishes. So it is a pious wish, if you think the
>> recovery disks by HP WILL restore to factory settings and you are on
>> your way again.
>> I am STILL waiting!!!!
>>
>> "Donnie Rucker" <brucker@cherokeetel.com> wrote in message
>>> try the F10/F11 on boot and see if there is a good partition on the
>>> restore the CD only reloaded that partition. You may have a bad hard
>>> drive and Drive C is missing. Also you have to check in the bio's to
>>> make sure it boots from CD. If no bio's the motherboard may be bad.
>>> I know not good new but a direction to check.

Reply Ritter197 12/8/2009 6:39:29 PM

Just to let you all know the outcome of this frustrating case with HP
recovery disks.

I got original MS Windows XP disks and reformatted all and installed and
downloaded upgrades.
All works finally well. I will never use HP recovery disks again, even
though I do like HP products.

> [...]
>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 The same number at the bottom of the HP
>> computer)
>> I did the initial reformat and went through the normal
>> process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences
>> and after it finished ask to "restart".
>>
>> It just NEVER finishes. So it is a pious wish, if you think the
>> recovery disks by HP WILL restore to factory settings and you are on
>> your way again.
>> I am STILL waiting!!!!
>>
>> "Donnie Rucker" <brucker@cherokeetel.com> wrote in message
>>> try the F10/F11 on boot and see if there is a good partition on the
>>> restore the CD only reloaded that partition. You may have a bad hard
>>> drive and Drive C is missing. Also you have to check in the bio's to
>>> make sure it boots from CD. If no bio's the motherboard may be bad.
>>> I know not good new but a direction to check.

Reply Ritter197 12/10/2009 3:27:49 PM

I can see a long story and won't get into a lot of it, but just to mention:
whenever I buy a PC  ,I always go online and spend the extra ~ $20 bucks to
order the " Install CD's/ DVDs" ( not Restore CD's which need the hidden
partition) which will be needed when your hard drive dies ( if you plan to
keep PC a while - it will happen).   I have an HP laptop and last year used
the DVD's to reinstall XP Media Center back to factory - took about 30
minutes.

> [...]
>>> copier. HP all around.
>>>
>>> I did the Recovery and all went fine except after reboot now it said
>>> it would personalize and now I got a screen that has been running all
>>> through the night and "personalize" the computer. It never stopped.
>>> It still says after 10 hours to "wait"
>>>
>>> Here is some additional detail.
>>>
>>> I have a HP Pavilion a1610n Desktop computer, Product Number RC652AA,
>>> Serial Number CNH6320HW2. The original HP Recovery disks 1 and 2 ,
>>> HP5013-7947, Build 64NAemMPA3 The same number at the bottom of the HP
>>> computer)
>>> I did the initial reformat and went through the normal
>>> process including setting up Windows XP for my personal preferences
>>> and after it finished ask to "restart".
>>>
>>> It just NEVER finishes. So it is a pious wish, if you think the
>>> recovery disks by HP WILL restore to factory settings and you are on

Reply Bobb 12/22/2009 2:03:54 AM

(page loaded in 0.662 seconds)

Reply: