XP ends right after start

  • Follow

Hello,

while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an urgent
cause), I ecperienced this problem:

Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a forced
logout immediately after a very short display of the empty desktop. This
also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login as administrator.

Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my computer
(protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely different?

Thank you for any help!

Best, Emil

0
Reply Emil 5/26/2010 10:19:02 AM

Hi, Emil.

Sounds like your user accounts are corrupt.
You can try the following options.

1) When booting hit F8 to reach the system troubleshoot menu and chose
the option "Boot to last known-good configuration".
This works just like system restore with the exception that you do not
get to choose the date yourself.

2) Boot to safe mode and try to log in as administrator and create a
new user account.

3) Boot to the operating system CD and chose Repair to reach the repair
console.
While there, type the following command: FIXBOOT

/ Ani

0
Reply Animenia 5/26/2010 12:44:26 PM

Emil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an
> urgent cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>
> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
> forced logout immediately after a very short display of the empty
> desktop. This also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login
> as administrator.
> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
> coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my
> computer (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely
> different?
> Thank you for any help!
>
> Best, Emil

Are you referring to System Restore by any chance?

If so, many users have reported that Kaspersky interferes with SR. You
should be able to run it using the method outlined here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

But...

If there is no "urgent cause," why do you wish to run SR in the first
place?!

0
Reply Daave 5/26/2010 10:30:56 PM

On May 26, 6:19=A0am, "Emil" <i...@nexo.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an urg=
ent
> cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>
> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a forc=
ed
> logout immediately after a very short display of the empty desktop. This
> also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login as administrator.
>
> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
> coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my computer
> (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely different?
>
> Thank you for any help!
>
> Best, Emil

If you see things like:

Windows is starting up
<XP startup sound and brief flash of desktop perhaps>
Logging off
Saving your settings
Saving...
Saving...

It is something completely different.

You can try to see how far that KB304449 gets you.

0
Reply Jose 5/26/2010 11:18:22 PM

I tried this before, but the effect is the same (immediate log off). Windows
seems to define this defines this as a good configuration, as Log in works.

> 2) Boot to safe mode and try to log in as administrator and create a
> new user account.

I tried this, too, but logging in as adminsitrator also generates an
immediate log off.

> 3) Boot to the operating system CD and chose Repair to reach the repair
> console.
> While there, type the following command: FIXBOOT

If you mean booting to the cammand line: I tried this, but I do not get a
command line, but I get to the normal Windows log in page.

Any ideas?

Emil

"Animenia" <Animenia.4bmkr0@no.email.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi, Emil.
>
> Sounds like your user accounts are corrupt.
> You can try the following options.
>
> 1) When booting hit F8 to reach the system troubleshoot menu and chose
> the option "Boot to last known-good configuration".
> This works just like system restore with the exception that you do not
> get to choose the date yourself.
>
> 2) Boot to safe mode and try to log in as administrator and create a
> new user account.
>
> 3) Boot to the operating system CD and chose Repair to reach the repair
> console.
> While there, type the following command: FIXBOOT
>
> / Ani

0
Reply Emil 5/30/2010 10:15:28 AM

"Daave" <daave@example.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Emil wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an
>> urgent cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>>
>> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
>> forced logout immediately after a very short display of the empty
>> desktop. This also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login
>> as administrator.
>> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
>> coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my
>> computer (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely
>> different?
>> Thank you for any help!
>>
>> Best, Emil
>
> Are you referring to System Restore by any chance?
>
> If so, many users have reported that Kaspersky interferes with SR. You
> should be able to run it using the method outlined here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>
> But...
>
> If there is no "urgent cause," why do you wish to run SR in the first
> place?!

Hi Daave,

yes, I am reffering to SR.

The method described in kb/304449 does not work, as I do not get a Command
prompt when selecting this boot option. I get to the Windows log in page
instead.

I tried a SR because my Windows configuration started to act weird in some
details after my last Windows Update, such as not remembering the toolbar
configuration of Word, and the like.

Any ideas?

Emil

0
Reply Emil 5/30/2010 10:23:18 AM

"Jose" <jose_ease@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On May 26, 6:19 am, "Emil" <i...@nexo.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an
> urgent
> cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>
> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
> forced
> logout immediately after a very short display of the empty desktop. This
> also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login as administrator.
>
> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
> coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my computer
> (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely different?
>
> Thank you for any help!
>
> Best, Emil

> If you see things like:
>
> Windows is starting up
> <XP startup sound and brief flash of desktop perhaps>
> Logging off
> Saving your settings
> Saving...
> Saving...

> It is something completely different.

> You can try to see how far that KB304449 gets you.

Hi Jose,

no way, I do not get the Command prompt after selecting this boot option.
ANy other ideas?

Emil

0
Reply Emil 5/30/2010 10:27:20 AM

Emil wrote:
> "Daave" <daave@example.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Emil wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without
>>> an urgent cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>>>
>>> Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
>>> forced logout immediately after a very short display of the empty
>>> desktop. This also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to
>>> login as administrator.
>>> Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just
>>> a coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my
>>> computer (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely
>>> different?
>>> Thank you for any help!
>>>
>>> Best, Emil
>>
>> Are you referring to System Restore by any chance?
>>
>> If so, many users have reported that Kaspersky interferes with SR.
>> You should be able to run it using the method outlined here:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
>>
>> But...
>>
>> If there is no "urgent cause," why do you wish to run SR in the first
>> place?!
>
> Hi Daave,
>
> yes, I am reffering to SR.
>
> The method described in kb/304449 does not work, as I do not get a
> Command prompt when selecting this boot option. I get to the Windows
> log in page instead.
>
> I tried a SR because my Windows configuration started to act weird in
> some details after my last Windows Update, such as not remembering
> the toolbar configuration of Word, and the like.

The usual course of action is to identify the particular update and
uninstall it. Then you could post here for more help:

microsoft.public.windowsupdate

Regarding System Restore not working, you could always disable (or
uninstall!) Kaspersky. But it is important for you to be able to enter
Safe Mode with Command Prompt. So, when you press F8 repeatedly after
you turn on your PC, do you ever get this menu:

http://79.170.44.116/jpt-solutions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/boot-menu.jpg

If so, you need to use the arrow keys to highligh the correct option and
then press Enter. If not, perhaps there is something wrong with your
keyboard (or you may need to use a different type ... do you use a
wireless keyboard by any chance?).

0
Reply Daave 5/30/2010 12:53:51 PM

On May 30, 6:27=A0am, "Emil" <i...@nexo.de> wrote:
> "Jose" <jose_e...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:cc213216-230f-49e=
8-a91e-1c8f5a054197@e21g2000vbl.googlegroups.com...
> On May 26, 6:19 am, "Emil" <i...@nexo.de> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > while trying to perform a system rollback to a prior date (without an
> > urgent
> > cause), I ecperienced this problem:
>
> > Since the rollback routine tried to launch Windows again, there is a
> > forced
> > logout immediately after a very short display of the empty desktop. Thi=
> > also occurs in protected mode, even when I try to login as administrato=
r.

> > Maybe the rollback routine throws me out, but it could also be just a
> > coincidence and there is a virus ore something like that on my computer
> > (protected with Kaspersky). Or is it something completely different?
>
> > Thank you for any help!
>
> > Best, Emil
> > If you see things like:
>
> > Windows is starting up
> > <XP startup sound and brief flash of desktop perhaps>
> > Logging off
> > Saving your settings
> > Saving...
> > Saving...
> > It is something completely different.
> > You can try to see how far that KB304449 gets you.
>
> Hi Jose,
>
> no way, I do not get the Command prompt after selecting this boot option.
> ANy other ideas?
>
> Emil

Does your system cycle through displaying messages in the manner I
described earlier?

Of course you do not get the command prompt.  You issue is you are
unable to login in any mode.

Until you can boot successfully and do some maneuvering, you will not
be getting very far in resolving your problem, so you must boot on
something - like the XP Recovery Console.

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available by following the directions in this link:

When you get Recovery Console booted, we will be able to fix your
system.  In the meantime, after you boot the Recovery Console so this:

For each of your hard disks, you should then run:

chkdsk /r

For example, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r
0
Reply Jose 5/30/2010 2:07:47 PM

(page loaded in 3.58 seconds)