WU on Win 2003 fails with 0x800706b5

I attempt to run Windows Update on a Win 2003 SP2 server.  The home page
displays successfully.  At that point, whether I click on "Express" or
"Custom" the next page displayed says -

"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view.  [Error number: 0x800706b5]"

I've searched the Internet for cases where this particular error is returned
by WU, but none of them resolve the problem in our situation.

Reviewing "WindowsUpdate.log" confirms that all WU components have the most
current version (7.4.7600.226).

Below, I have pasted in an excerpt of the "WindowsUpdate.log" entries that
report the error we encounter -

2009-12-16	12:42:47:565	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	-------------
2009-12-16	12:42:47:565	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	-- START --  COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2009-12-16	12:42:47:565	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	---------
2009-12-16	12:42:47:581	 856	5f4	Service	WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId
failed with error 800706b5 for session 0
2009-12-16	12:42:47:581	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	WARNING: Unable to listen to
self-update/shutdown event (hr=0X800706B5)
2009-12-16	12:42:47:581	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	WARNING: Unable to establish
connection to the service. (hr=800706B5)
2009-12-16	12:42:47:581	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	  - WARNING: Exit code = 0x800706B5
2009-12-16	12:42:47:581	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	---------
2009-12-16	12:42:47:581	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	--  END  --  COMAPI: Search
[ClientId = <NULL>]
2009-12-16	12:42:47:581	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	-------------
2009-12-16	12:42:47:581	3232	1c3c	COMAPI	FATAL: Unable to initiate
asynchronous search, hr=800706B5

If you have any information that might help resolve the problem, please let
me know.

Thank you.

James Troy

"James W Troy" <JamesWTroy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:477D1F57-D055-46C8-8D5E-50C6F1E5D3EB@microsoft.com...
>I attempt to run Windows Update on a Win 2003 SP2 server.  The home page
> displays successfully.  At that point, whether I click on "Express" or
> "Custom" the next page displayed says -
>
> "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view.  [Error number: 0x800706b5]"
>

> I've searched the Internet for cases where this particular error is returned
> by WU, but none of them resolve the problem in our situation.

<cmd_output  OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x6B5
1717
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The interface is unknown.
</cmd_output>

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=21c2389c-18ef-4721-b2dd-09fc9cc395dd&sloc=en-us

(Alt-7 search in this newsgroup for
    1717
)

---

> Reviewing "WindowsUpdate.log" confirms that all WU components have the most
> current version (7.4.7600.226).
>
> Below, I have pasted in an excerpt of the "WindowsUpdate.log" entries that
> report the error we encounter -

> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:565 3232 1c3c COMAPI -------------
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:565 3232 1c3c COMAPI -- START --  COMAPI: Search
> [ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:565 3232 1c3c COMAPI ---------
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:581 856 5f4 Service WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId
> failed with error 800706b5 for session 0
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:581 3232 1c3c COMAPI WARNING: Unable to listen to
> self-update/shutdown event (hr=0X800706B5)
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:581 3232 1c3c COMAPI WARNING: Unable to establish
> connection to the service. (hr=800706B5)
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:581 3232 1c3c COMAPI   - WARNING: Exit code = 0x800706B5
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:581 3232 1c3c COMAPI ---------
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:581 3232 1c3c COMAPI --  END  --  COMAPI: Search
> [ClientId = <NULL>]
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:581 3232 1c3c COMAPI -------------
> 2009-12-16 12:42:47:581 3232 1c3c COMAPI FATAL: Unable to initiate
> asynchronous search, hr=800706B5

> If you have any information that might help resolve the problem, please let
> me know.
>
> Thank you.
>
> James Troy

0
Robert
12/17/2009 4:07:23 AM
Thank you for your reply, Robert.

Per your suggestion, I reviewed the discussion thread at -

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=21c2389c-18ef-4721-b2dd-09fc9cc395dd&sloc=en-us

Ultimately, that discussion recommends downloading and running a utility
called  "AU Check"  (or "AU Reset") from Codeplex.   The discussion even
includes this URL for the utility -

http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=17263

However, that URL does not work - it simply puts you on the Codeplex
homepage.  Searching Codeplex for "au check" or "au reset" or for the actual
executable  (au_check_v78a_codeplex.exe)  does not yield anything of value.

Using Google to search for the executable only yields references to download
from Codeplex.  It appears that the utility has been withdrawn, perhaps due
to some problems.

Apparently that utility does something similar to the procedure Microsoft
describes here -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931852

I tried that procedure but it did not resolve the issue I reported.

James Troy

I downloaded the latest version of the Windows Update agent from -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/

The executable is called "windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe".

I ran it with the  "/wuforce"  command-line option to force the
reinstallation of Windows Update.

This solved the 0x800706b5 problem and WU was able to download and attempt
to install updates.

Unfortunately, the attempted installations of updates all fail.  That was
the original problem we had (prior to getting 0x800706b5).

So we resolved one problem and now face a different one.   )-:

James Troy

To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup.  Thank you.

Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/94e44b5046cc0589

What error are the failures throwing now, James?

=============
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

Support for Windows Update:
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

James W Troy wrote:
> I downloaded the latest version of the Windows Update agent from -
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/
>
> The executable is called "windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe".
>
> I ran it with the  "/wuforce"  command-line option to force the
> reinstallation of Windows Update.
>
> This solved the 0x800706b5 problem and WU was able to download and attempt
> to install updates.
>
> Unfortunately, the attempted installations of updates all fail.  That was
> the original problem we had (prior to getting 0x800706b5).
>
> So we resolved one problem and now face a different one.   )-:
>
> James Troy

0
PA

Exchange 2003 Relay and security issues
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CFD9.2BD10F80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm new to Exchange 2K3 and I'm running into some spammer issues. I = noticed today that my server is being used as a spam machine. I fixed = the error but only drastically by stopping the outbound email. =20 Is there any guide for these type of issues? Is there a way to have = only "authorized" people use my server? I tried changing the access = from anonymous access to the Integr...

Outlook 2003 issue with Word 2003 as editor.
When attempting to change the options to use word as the editor in outlook 2003 I instantly get the prompt "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" This happens when ever we hit the new E-mail. It does not stop us from being able to send or even see the addresses. I have tried to change the security settings but all that does is change the security features for everything. If I change the settings back to not use Word as the editor it no longer prompts me for approval. Thanks in advance if anyone has seen or know...

Display hours, minutes, seconds on a time-scale axis in Excel 2003
You can display these in the axis labels if you use the appropriate number format. You can plot X with a resolution better than days only in an XY chart, not in a line chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Saritha" <Saritha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45E2B098-EBC9-489A-B3E4-0E6B66495B46@microsoft.com... > What is the appropriate number format to dispaly time in hours, minutes in an XY chart? "Jon Peltier" wrote: >...

Does Excel 2003 have SPC XL add-in included in the package?
I would like to buy Spc XL add-in for myself however I have heard that it comes included in the MS excel 2003 version. Is this true? Nope, not true. -- Regards Juan Pablo Gonz�lez "Cookie" <Cookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B458175-5B34-4F95-98D2-1E1A57F5E295@microsoft.com... > I would like to buy Spc XL add-in for myself however I have heard that it > comes included in the MS excel 2003 version. Is this true? ...

Publisher 2003 student license
Do they do a student license for puiblisher 2003? i can find one for 2002 version but not 2003? HELP!!??!! Hi Oliver (olyb69@hotmail.com) in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Do they do a student license for puiblisher 2003? i can || find one for 2002 version but not 2003? HELP!!??!! http://www.gradware.com/microsoft-new.asp http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Microsoft_Publisher_2003_21102949 Academic Licensing and Pricing Students and educators are eligible to obtain Publisher 2003 for only $99 US from authorized education resellers. http://www.microsoft.com/office/publisher/howtobuy...

strange scrolling in Excel 2003
I have a protected worksheet on which users cannot "select locked cells." However, with this protection on, the keyboard arrow keys now scroll through the far left and top of the worksheet - hitting up in row 1 takes you to the last row - hitting left in column A takes you to the last column. How can I stop this? I tried this in xl2002 and could only duplicate it if the lastrow (65536) was unlocked. (Did you mean last row of the worksheet or last row of the unlocked cells?) If you meant that excel took you to the "next" available cell, then this seems like a pretty g...

can exchng32.exe be run on Win XP
Hi, I'm just wondering whether the old Exchange client can be run on Windows XP. If yes, then how? Running it in Win95 compatibility mode wasn't succesfull... Any ideas? Regards, Sandor Teglasy jun. I do not believe that you can. Nem lehet und Nein. Peter "Sandor Teglasy jun." <tegsan@web.de> wrote in message news:%23$8S%23uFGFHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I'm just wondering whether the old Exchange client can be run on Windows > XP. If yes, then how? Running it in Win95 compatibility mode wasn't > succesfull... > &g...

money 2003 #46
i have money 2003 and just got new 64 bit computer,when i install it in the new computer it wants to install new files and when finish installing I get money to open and it is the us version,tried to use my backups and they will not install. any suggestions am wintering in florida so impossible for me to get new cdn version--use it just for banking and dl visa-any help would be greatly appreciated In microsoft.public.money, kelsey3181 wrote: >i have money 2003 and just got new 64 bit computer,when i install it in the >new computer it wants to install new files and when finish in...

2003 public folder permissions
I just read 2 different articles that said 2 different things about the pubic folders in 2003 - one said that "Everyone" had rights to create top level and sublevel folders - the other one said only specified groups (domain admins etc.) have that capability. My concern is - I am a domain admin and could not create a top level folder - so both articles seem to be wrong? As soon as I put my own id as able to create them, did it allow me. I'm new to this deny / allow permissions and just don't want to make a mess of these folders. Myself and a few other admins from other sit...

2000 TO 2003 ISSUE NEED HELP
I upgraded to 2003 yesterday and now get a message that I do not have a license to use an activex control. This occurs everytime a macro is changing the visible property on a form to no and only then. I ran a test and if the macro is changing the visible property to no on a control within a form it works fine. The only issue is when the entire form ( a popup for example) is involved. If there is an activex that needs to be installed how do you know which one ? There are a lot of them. -- PAUL FRANKS ...

Outlook 2003 Offline Address Book not updating
I now have 5 computers among 100+ that simply stopped updating the offline address book. They give no error message. nothing is recorded in the event logs. success is recorded in the sync log. it says it does it, but it doesn't. The most recent user reported that he couldn't see a person in his address book that had been hired 4 weeks ago. It is the same with all machines. 1. if I tell it to manually download the address book, it says it does and nothing changes. 2. if I create a new Outlook profile, it downloads a new address book at that time, but not after 3. If I create a ne...

Data lost on Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration
After performing a migration from Exchange 5.5 to 2003, All seemed to go pretty smoothly. There was one exception. A user complained that her mail and everything was not there. I look at the PST file that EXMERGE created from the 5.5 server and it's all of 30k. Check on the old server again, yep...35k. Told her that was all, but come to find out, she had tons of stuff in there. I was able to figure out from a 3 month old backup that she did indeed have lots of stuff in there. I used EXMERGE on that one and put that info into her new mailbox. Problem I have is with the current datab...

Outlook 2003 calendar events into Excel 2003?
Hello, I would like an Excel sheet that grabs my calendar events (i.e. to have a list of my Outlook calendar events, such as people's Birthday's, in an Excel sheet and updates whenever you open up the Excel sheet. A lookup formula would be useful as I already have a list of the year's dates with my hours worked, sunrise and last's average temperatures for each day. Is this possible in some way? Kol Kolin, I have posted an example of how to navigate the Outlook Object Model to: http://www.Galimi.com/Examples/Outlook.xls http://HelpExcel.com "Kolin Tregaskes&...

MSN email acc in Outlook 2003
Hi. I'm a Hotmail Plus user but it seemed that I can't use the Outlook 2003 to retrieve my emails. The error: Task 'MSN: Folder: Inbox Synchroning headers.' reported error (0x800CCF4): 'An unknown error has occured. Please save any existing work and restart the program.' This error occurs only with MSN email account. The error still occurs even though I removed and added the account again. I even restart Outlook and it still the same thing. I tried adding my msn email account at work using Outlook 2003. It works there but apparently, not at home. I tried on...

Exchg 2003: Defrag w/ eseutil
Article ID: 192185 OS: Win2K3 SP1 Exchange 2003; priv1.edb = 3GB 1GB RAM C drive with 40GB total; 30GB free Issue #1: I'm confused on the eseutil.exe and how to use it. I'm getting some situations whereby we aren't receiving all our emails, so I thought that defragmenting the Exchg db would be the first step. Today I expanded the size of the Exchange DB. Any other ideas would be welcome! Hence, I'm going to attempt a defrag by following the #192185 article. The article (#192185: How to Defragment with the Eseutil utility (Eseutil.exe)) states to di...

Publisher 2000 won't open 2003
I know this has been asked many times over, but I can't seem to get a definitve answer. My prolbem is that I had 2003 on my computer before it crashed. After I reloaded windows I could not find my 2003 version and had to use a friends that was 2000 version. Now I can't open any of my files that were created in 2003. There does not appear to be any available download for 2003, so what is the quickest and easiest solution. Thanks (I don't understand why you couldn't find a definite answer on this. It's never been a gray area.) "Using" a friend's program...

Excel 2003 Bug #2
if you copy a number like '51234123412349999' into excel, excel treats it as a number but cannot handle the length and thus stores it in scientific notation which loses the precision of the original number (it is now 51234123412349900) this is no bloody use why does it automatically remove precision just because it thinks you want a freaking number Hi Read about this in Excel Help: Getting Started > Microsoft Excel Specifications > Calculation Specifications > Number precision -- Arvi Laanemets ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee ) "Mark"...

Outobox in 2003 does not send
This seems to happen with Outlook 2003 and is quite bizarre--you wonder how the developers could have missed this one! I posted this in a reply, but it's pretty far down in the list by now, so I'll make a fresh post. I've read of many people who have had this problem. I don't have much detail from you, but it happens to myself and others when they merely open the outbox folder. Here's what happens. Let's say you just clicked "send", and into the outbox it goes. When you open the outbox, your message is highlighted/selected. As soon as that happens, the "...

Outlook 2003/Treo 700w
We use OL2003. It syncs email, contacts and appointments to out Treo700w phones. Email sync works great but we do have some problems with contacts and appointments. I'll try to be concise: In contacts me and my partner each maintain a separate file of our personal contacts. There is then a master database that all employees can access. Because the company file is a common folder and ours are not common we sync the Treos by copying the common file to our non common file then sync that file to the phone. It is something that we would like to have seemless and so it would s...

Will microsoft Outlook 2003 use outlook express 2003 for my email
I cannot get the program to send emails through outlook when I get a prompt. I geerally am using outlook expressas my email producer but somehow Outlook doesn't send emails via this Outlook Express doesn't use Outlook for anything, and vice versa. If you want to use Outlook, you need to figure your mail accounts in *that* program, and stop using Outlook Express. "Alemap" <Alemap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A7DC4B0-72D1-43CF-B069-5090C6DE530D@microsoft.com... :I cannot get the program to send emails through outlook when I get a prompt. : I g...

Major bug in Outlook 2003?
I recently installed Outlook 2003 and quickly my PST file was full. First I was surprised that there is a limit in size. Then my second surprise was that once my PST file was full a form pops-up showing me different ways to remove emails messages. I closed that form in order to manually delete files, but I noticed that all incoming emails I was receiving were simply lost. Outlook did not stop to get emails from my mailbox and since the PST file was full, the messages were just lost. I lost more than a thousand emails. I believe that this is a major bug. At first I was not sure why all my ema...

Win Firewall off briefly
XP Win Firewall-off balloon comes up every hour or so Verified firewall off when balloon shows and on when it goes away 10-20 sec later. Annoying. How to track this down? Replace it? Have disabled a few msconfig startup items - slow & unsuccessful. Win XP SP2 (HP Pavillion) MCE Symantec AV, no firewall, Auto-protect on. Malwarebyte Win Defender, considering turning off real-time protection "Evan Weiner" wrote: > XP Win Firewall-off balloon comes up every hour or so Verified firewall off > when balloon shows and on when it goes away 10-20 s...

windows fails to start
PLEASE HELP !!!! I have a Sony Vaio laptop with factory installed vista. It bought it about a year and a half ago. I tried to turn it on and am getting a black screen with "windows boot manager" and the message : Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer. 2. Choose your language settings and click next. 3. Click "repair your computer" When I try to restart computer it won't let me get to boot options, even when I push F8 it j...

Outlook 2003 email problem
:confused: I have recently uprated my system and have Office 2003. I cannot get outlook 2003 to accept e mails. Previouly I had outlook express with btinternet and this worked fine. When I first loaded the system up at a friends home it all worked including recieving e-mails. Now it will not recieve them. I've sent test messages and have no errors up when they go but they do not come back. I can see them by logging onto the BT site and accessing them from there. My internet connection works fine, it is just as if outlook is ignoring any messages. The internet conection is through a dial ...

Exchange 2003 Intelligent Filte
Hello, I am having a problem updating the Inteligent Message Filter on Exchange 2003 SP2. I have followed all the instruction, including this one from technet but eventhough the Intelligent Filtering is enabled in Exchange, i do not see any update for Intelligent Message Filter. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/IMF_SP2/95e9dbf9-a7bd-4adc-8e97-61f190f86e5d.mspx?mfr=true On this folder, Drive_Letter:\Program Files\Exchsvr\Bin\MSCFV2 the DLL files are dated 2005. I have also tried restarting the server. And I have also tried to use the 'manual' method throug...