Microsoft Fix It for Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2

  • Follow

KB971058 provides a tool and detailed instructions to reset Windows Update
components.  According to the article, it applies to Windows XP, Windows
Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.

Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?  If not,
is there a tool for them?  If not, can we use the detailed "do-it-yourself"
instructions in the KB for Win7/Win2008R2?
0
Reply Utf 4/12/2010 6:28:01 PM

If you care to wait I've just emailed the tool's author about running
MicrosoftFixit50202.msi on Windows 7 or WS2K8 R2. When I hear back, I'll
post the answer here.

Although the KB article doesn't list Win 7 in the APPLIES TO, Microsoft
Support has been recommending the tool for Windows 7 in the Windows
Update forum. Here's one thread where it's recommended:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/eb0e39f8-268a-4fdb-8358-a1d0f705f593/

After checking the manual steps I can see at least one step that will
*not* work for 7, or even for Vista.

Step 8 for Vista/Win7 should read (This *almost* correct step comes from
KB836941, Advanced Method B: Remove the proxy server entry from the
WinHTTP proxy configuration:)

To remove the proxy server entry from the WinHTTP proxy configuration
for Windows 7 or Windows Vista, follow these steps:

    1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start programs and files box.
    2. Right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, and then click Run as
administrator.

       Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or
confirmation, type the password or click Continue.
    3. Type the following command and then press Enter:
       netsh winhttp show proxy
       Note The proxy setting is listed next to Proxy Server. If there
is no proxy server, Direct Access <no proxy server> is shown in the
Command Prompt window.
    4. To remove the listed proxy setting, type the following command
and then press Enter:
       netsh winhttp reset proxy

download and install the updates again.

Note that Step 5 is incorrect since Vista/7 systems update via the
Windows Update icon in Control Panel, *not* via IE from either the WU or
MU sites.

Also, when IE7 or 8 are installed then one does not have to register at
least one of the .dlls listed, but I forget which one. My old memory is
failing <w>

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Paqrat wrote:
> KB971058 provides a tool and detailed instructions to reset Windows Update
> components.  According to the article, it applies to Windows XP, Windows
> Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.
>
> Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?  If not,
> is there a tool for them?  If not, can we use the detailed "do-it-yourself"
> instructions in the KB for Win7/Win2008R2?
0
Reply MowGreen 4/12/2010 7:31:16 PM

MowGreen wrote:
> If you care to wait I've just emailed the tool's author about running
> MicrosoftFixit50202.msi on Windows 7 or WS2K8 R2. When I hear back, I'll
> post the answer here.

Just heard back ... The tool will fail to carry out the proxy reset and,
at worst, some portions of it may fail to run. No harm should come to a
Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 system if you choose to run the Fixit.

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
Reply MowGreen 4/12/2010 8:53:01 PM

> Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?

Short answer: Yes.

Paqrat wrote:
> KB971058 provides a tool and detailed instructions to reset Windows Update
> components.  According to the article, it applies to Windows XP, Windows
> Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.
>
> Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?  If not,
> is there a tool for them?  If not, can we use the detailed
> "do-it-yourself"
> instructions in the KB for Win7/Win2008R2?

0
Reply PA 4/12/2010 11:14:34 PM

Many thanks for the detailed answers!

"MowGreen" wrote:

> MowGreen wrote:
> > If you care to wait I've just emailed the tool's author about running
> > MicrosoftFixit50202.msi on Windows 7 or WS2K8 R2. When I hear back, I'll
> > post the answer here.
>

> Just heard back ... The tool will fail to carry out the proxy reset and,
> at worst, some portions of it may fail to run. No harm should come to a
> Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 system if you choose to run the Fixit.
>

> MowGreen
> ================
>   *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
> .

0
Reply Utf 4/13/2010 12:45:01 AM

"Paqrat" wrote:

> KB971058 provides a tool and detailed instructions to reset Windows Update
> components.  According to the article, it applies to Windows XP, Windows
> Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.
>
> Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?  If not,
> is there a tool for them?  If not, can we use the detailed "do-it-yourself"
> instructions in the KB for Win7/Win2008R2?
0
Reply Utf 4/15/2010 6:02:05 PM

(page loaded in 0.061 seconds)

Reply: