Microsoft Fix It for Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2

Follow
Email
KB971058 provides a tool and detailed instructions to reset Windows Update
components.  According to the article, it applies to Windows XP, Windows
Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.

Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?  If not,
is there a tool for them?  If not, can we use the detailed "do-it-yourself"
instructions in the KB for Win7/Win2008R2?
0
Reply Utf 4/12/2010 6:28:01 PM

If you care to wait I've just emailed the tool's author about running
MicrosoftFixit50202.msi on Windows 7 or WS2K8 R2. When I hear back, I'll
post the answer here.

Although the KB article doesn't list Win 7 in the APPLIES TO, Microsoft
Support has been recommending the tool for Windows 7 in the Windows
Update forum. Here's one thread where it's recommended:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/eb0e39f8-268a-4fdb-8358-a1d0f705f593/

After checking the manual steps I can see at least one step that will
*not* work for 7, or even for Vista.

Step 8 for Vista/Win7 should read (This *almost* correct step comes from
KB836941, Advanced Method B: Remove the proxy server entry from the
WinHTTP proxy configuration:)

To remove the proxy server entry from the WinHTTP proxy configuration
for Windows 7 or Windows Vista, follow these steps:

    1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start programs and files box.
    2. Right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, and then click Run as
administrator.

       Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or
confirmation, type the password or click Continue.
    3. Type the following command and then press Enter:
       netsh winhttp show proxy
       Note The proxy setting is listed next to Proxy Server. If there
is no proxy server, Direct Access <no proxy server> is shown in the
Command Prompt window.
    4. To remove the listed proxy setting, type the following command
and then press Enter:
       netsh winhttp reset proxy

download and install the updates again.

Note that Step 5 is incorrect since Vista/7 systems update via the
Windows Update icon in Control Panel, *not* via IE from either the WU or
MU sites.

Also, when IE7 or 8 are installed then one does not have to register at
least one of the .dlls listed, but I forget which one. My old memory is
failing <w>

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Paqrat wrote:
> KB971058 provides a tool and detailed instructions to reset Windows Update
> components.  According to the article, it applies to Windows XP, Windows
> Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.
>
> Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?  If not,
> is there a tool for them?  If not, can we use the detailed "do-it-yourself"
> instructions in the KB for Win7/Win2008R2?
0
Reply MowGreen 4/12/2010 7:31:16 PM
MowGreen wrote:
> If you care to wait I've just emailed the tool's author about running
> MicrosoftFixit50202.msi on Windows 7 or WS2K8 R2. When I hear back, I'll
> post the answer here.

Just heard back ... The tool will fail to carry out the proxy reset and,
at worst, some portions of it may fail to run. No harm should come to a
Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 system if you choose to run the Fixit.

MowGreen
================
  *-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
Reply MowGreen 4/12/2010 8:53:01 PM
> Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?

Short answer: Yes.

Paqrat wrote:
> KB971058 provides a tool and detailed instructions to reset Windows Update
> components.  According to the article, it applies to Windows XP, Windows
> Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.
>
> Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?  If not,
> is there a tool for them?  If not, can we use the detailed
> "do-it-yourself"
> instructions in the KB for Win7/Win2008R2?

0
Reply PA 4/12/2010 11:14:34 PM
Many thanks for the detailed answers!

"MowGreen" wrote:

> MowGreen wrote:
> > If you care to wait I've just emailed the tool's author about running
> > MicrosoftFixit50202.msi on Windows 7 or WS2K8 R2. When I hear back, I'll
> > post the answer here.
>

> Just heard back ... The tool will fail to carry out the proxy reset and,
> at worst, some portions of it may fail to run. No harm should come to a
> Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 system if you choose to run the Fixit.
>

> MowGreen
> ================
>   *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
> .

0
Reply Utf 4/13/2010 12:45:01 AM

"Paqrat" wrote:

> KB971058 provides a tool and detailed instructions to reset Windows Update
> components.  According to the article, it applies to Windows XP, Windows
> Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008.
>
> Will this tool also work on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2?  If not,
> is there a tool for them?  If not, can we use the detailed "do-it-yourself"
> instructions in the KB for Win7/Win2008R2?
0
Reply Utf 4/15/2010 6:02:05 PM
Follow
Email

microsoft
weghtgh ...

Updated Office 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I am not very techno minded, so I don't know what to do. I updated Office 2008 and now it says that I have entered an invalid product key. I didn't enter any product key! I went to some of the help solutions on this site and one told me to delete the Office Folder. If I do this won't I lose all of the files I have in Word and ExceL? I am afraid to do anything, but cannot get into any files. Please help me with simple instructions if you can. Thanks. On 8/5/09 5:08 PM, in article 59b79af0.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "LC@...

Microsoft Promo

Using Outlook 2003 on Exchange Server 5.5
Hello, I am using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP SP1 (updated) and I am connecting to Exchange Server 5.5 SP3 (running on NT4). There is some issue I saw on connection, is there some way that I can used my Outlook 2003 connecting on Exchange 5.5? If not, can I install Outlook XP and remove Outlook 2003 without affecting the other component on Office 2003? Thanks in advance. ...

Max clinet change to Cache mode per server
Hi, we have 2 Exchange 2003 a-p Cluster on Unisys ES7000 with 9000 mailboxes on each cluster. The Clients work with Outlook XP. We plan a Rollout of Outlook 2003 SP2 with activated Cache Mode. Our Offline Adressbook has abaout 10 MB and one Mailbox a average space of 35 MB. Now my question, how much client can rolled out parallel that the download of the mailbox content has only small impact to the Exchange Server performance ? Has anybody some experiences in this case Thank you Ingo ...

Upgrade from vista 64 bit to win 7 32 bit
I am looking for a new PC for my wife and in order to get the most bang for the buck there seem to be an abundance of vista PCs out there that can be upgraded to windows 7. Unfortunately is seems that her 2 most expensive programs, Painter 9.5 and Photo shop CS2 won't run on a 64 bit O.S., or at least not without a lot of trouble. All of the PCs that I am looking at have 64 bit vista installed. My question is can I buy one of these and when I get my free upgrade disk for windows 7 can I install win 7 32 bit? I don't mind doing a clean install. Sorry if this has been as...

Window 2003 x64
All, We're in the process of installing great plains and we just received our window 2003 software but it came as x64 instead of the requested x86. I understand that x86 is 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit. What I'm trying to find out is there any benefit to installing 64 bit and are there any limitation or issues with applications such as with SQL Server 2005 and other. Jamal I use x64 server 2003 with x64 Sql05. One of the big advantages is additional ram that x64 can address natively. You will need to get the x64 edition of SQL to run it, though. -- Gigabyte Tech "Jam...

Server.MapPath 12-04-09
What is syntax for Server.MapPath when I am in a class module? Thanks. David Try: HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("path"); Leszek "David C" <dlchase@lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message news:uEhqhLPdKHA.4112@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > What is syntax for Server.MapPath when I am in a class module? Thanks. > > David > "David C" <dlchase@lifetimeinc.com> wrote in news:uEhqhLPdKHA.4112 @TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl: > What is syntax for Server.MapPath when I am in a class module? Thanks. Leszek has the answe...

asp.net, windows 7, and a return of the BSOD
I spent years and years using Windows XP without *ever* seeing a BSOD. I honestly thought these things were a thing of the past. Now I see one, or have my machine simply lock up hard, nearly every day and it only happens when I have just started an ASP.Net project in debug mode. The recovery tool kicks in on reboot but it always comes up with "no known cause" as the reason for the crash. This worries me because it suggests that MS isn't getting any meaningful feedback on the problem, which in turn means that I may experience this problem indefinitely. Has anyone ...

microsoft XL

Offsite corporate Exchange Server
Because of redundancy problems (T1 goes off) we would like to move our internal exchange server to a hosting company. Our current Exchange server is Exchange 2003 and we utilize public folders. Each user has there own PST file. How can I move our Exchange server off site and continue to give my users access to their email and the public folders? I could use the IMAP connection, but then the mail is kept on our server. Another alternative is RPC over HTTP, but how slow is that? POP3 is a option, but then my users can't access the public folders Any ideas would be appreciated. ...

How do I transfer my Email from Nestscape 7.1 to Outlook 2003
I would like to find a way to transfer my Emails from Netscape 7.1 to Outlook Is thre a way to do this ? Oh this is fun! I have found that it is best to use Netscape Communicator 4.x, then Outlook Express as an intermediary. You could also use Eudora as the stepping stone. Here is an example of how others have done this: http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3832 "Naresh" <Naresh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6966EE9B-7EE5-405B-A1C4-757BC1F5D163@microsoft.com... >I would like to find a way to transfer my Emails from Netscape 7.1 to >Outlook ...

Outlook 2003 on Windows 7
I am unable to open Outlook 2003 SP3 on Windows 7. This is a new Dell PC w/ Win7 installed. If I run Outlook in XP compatability mode I receive error "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened." Wierd thing is if I open Outlook from Windows Safe Mode with Networking it works fine. I have tried stopping all services except those running in safe mode and still no luck. Any ideas... please? Thanks, Steve Are you connecting to an Exchange server (used typically in businesses and universities)? "Steve Ballard" <...

Audit C:\Windows in Windows 7?
I have some contracts at work that require folder and file auditing be enabled in C:\Windows and the subdirectories. I've been using Windowx XP, but now we're moving to Windows 7. Microsoft has (finally!) enabled good security by default, so I don't think I need to change permissions. I am having problems enabling auditing, though. If I enable auditing on C:\Windows using Windows Explorer, many of the subfolders and files don't get the setting because inheritance has been disabled. It's obviously impractical to change auditing using Explorer on hundreds (thousands...

Re: child window cant redraw after main window resized?
i have same problem like Max have. And add WS_CLIPCHILDREN did help a little. But now the child windows still cant redraw after main window resized. i put child_window.RedrawWindow() in OnPoschanged(){...} of main windows. it wont work. any ideas? thks for any help Tomasen "Johan Rosengren" <johan.rosengren@telia.com> wrote in message news:OlegFCRMDHA.2220@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Max, > > Perhaps creating the main window with the WS_CLIPCHILDREN style will help? > > Johan Rosengren > Abstrakt Mekanik AB > > "Max Khesin" <max@cNOvSisi...

Which version of Microsoft Office #2

I can't sent emails from windows mails
I can't send emails from any of my accounts in the windows mail but I can receive emails. The error msg is: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'unsubscribe for myhousingloan mailing list', Account: 'mail.myhousingloan.com.sg', Server: 'mail.myhousingloan.com.sg', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 451, Socket Error: 10053, Error ...

Windows 7 and Office 2007
Is Office 2007 Professional with 32 bit compatible with Windows 7? YES. I have had no problems thus far. However, if you haven't got Office 2007 yet, then it is good idea to get into Office 2010 direct and you can download a beta version from here: <http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx> The beta version is valid until June 2010 by which time new version should be out. hth SteveM wrote: > > Is Office 2007 Professional with 32 bit compatible with Windows 7? "20100209" <20100209@20100209.NET> wrote in message ...