error code 0xc800042d

windows xp home has recently started not doing updates.  long wait then this
error code. no recent changes to computer. any help?

doc wrote:
> windows xp home has recently started not doing updates.  long wait
> then this error code. no recent changes to computer. any help?

Windows XP Home Edition means 32-bit.

What service pack level is it currently at?  (none, SP1, SP1a, SP2 or SP3?)
What version of Internet Explorer are you running? (6, 7 or 8?)

Do you utilize any third-party firewall software?
What antivirus software do you utilize?
Have you ran any scans with antimalware/spyware software?

Given what you have - here is what i suggest you do - through to the end -
step-by-step - even if you think you already did it, etc.

 Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
 --> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.  Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim.  No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying.

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using?  Easy to find
out.  Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard.  With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key.  Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed,  press (just once, no holding) the "A" key.   That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window.  It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

Reboot so you start with a fresh machine.  For everything here you will
need to logon as an user with administrative (installation) priviledges.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under
"Advanced Troubleshooting" titled,
"Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
*will take time
** Ignore the last step (6) - you should have SP3 - but not at this
   point in this process.

You will likely see errors pass by if you watching, even count up.  No
worries *at this time*.

*After* that is done, continue on to the next part where you clean off
some excess (unnecessary) files.  It only removes those you definitely
do not need, if you follow the directions *as given* and do not deviate.
So reboot (for each of these steps, it is just best to reboot right
before - but I will continue to point that out) and logon as an user with
administrative priviledges.

Download/install the "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility":

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN
 (no "RUN"?  Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
 --> type in:
  "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

It will flash by *quick*, don't expect much out of this step to get
excited about.  But the cleaner your machine is to start with, the
better your luck will be later (not really luck - more like preparedness,
but that's not as fun to think about, eh?)

Yeah - you will get tired of rebooting - but let's soldier on and reboot
again and logon as an user with administrative priviledges.

This time (and this is one of the more time-consuming steps) you will be
running (one at a time with reboots in-between each) three different
anti-spyware/anti-malware applications to ensure you come up clean.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive.  After saving it to the
root of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Visit this web page:

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon.  When asked, select "RUN",
both times.  Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next".  Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next".  Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done.  Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

You should now perform a full CHKDSK on your system drive (C:)...

 How to scan your disks for errors
 * will take time and a reboot

You should now perform a full Defragment on your system drive (C:)...

 How to Defragment your hard drives
 * will take time

Uninstall any and all third-party firewall applications (ZoneAlarm, etc)
and utilize the built-in WIndows Firewall only.

Reboot if necessary.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it.  You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.  Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now.  I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates.  Also - I do not see any urgent need to
install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that.  This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given.  If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step.  If you don't understand how to do a step, come back
and ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if
you have more issues.

Shenan Stanley
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

12/25/2009 1:35:26 AM
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors [e.g., 0xc800042d]
when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

doc wrote:
> windows xp home has recently started not doing updates.  long wait then
> this
> error code. no recent changes to computer. any help?

12/25/2009 7:42:00 AM
I cant play any of my games on here everything goes blank and then about 1
minute later it says the website you were visiting either was running slow or
stopped Mircosoft has recovered it  does anyone know whats happening ????

"doc" wrote:

> windows xp home has recently started not doing updates.  long wait then this
> error code. no recent changes to computer. any help?
> --
> doc
12/28/2009 9:05:01 PM
Sniffles wrote:

> I cant play any of my games on here everything goes blank and then about 1
> minute later it says the website you were visiting either was running slow or
> stopped Mircosoft has recovered it  does anyone know whats happening ????

This is a newsgroup; there are no games here.  You'll need to talk to the people
who run whatever website it is that you are looking at.

Excel Progrom Error

Sharebuilder account import error

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

error, chkdsk
Questio, when I try to open excel or winmx, an error pops up saying chkdsk, so i ran a chkdsk and it doesnt do anything. The error also says corrupted file. In excel I have some important work that I need to open, and it only opens in Turkish, if I change it to English, its a bunch of boxes and letters, its not my work I need. How do I change it back. What excel version are you using? Try to find somebody with 2003 to see if they can open the file. Otherwise you would look for some commercial software that might be of help

error 0x800CCC0F
Dear Team; I am receiving the following error messages, please assist Could result be sent to regards Lew Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'brocolli & mushroom stir fry noodle', Account: '', Server: '', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server p...

4.4.7 error
I have problems on one client that they don't recieve all emails from people sending to them. I guess something is wrong in the configuration. When I do a nslookup -type=mx I just get unautharized answer. Also the ttl time is just 1800 when I do a dns report. Do the guys that handle the dns change this? The people that doesn't get their mail throw get the 4.4.7 error in return. Best regards Jimmy -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Surfer&q...

Excel error codes translations
hi, Does anybody know where I can find a kind of dictionary for Exce errors? The problem is sometimes I get an error message that is not in Englis and without error code and then looking for the solution I must kno its equivalent in English. Regards, Micha -- Message posted from ...

delete server...routing master error

Re: Money 2004
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried unregistering/re-registering the msxml3 DLL, but still no luck. However, knowing the help file topics are local might help with debugging this problem. thanks, randy "Randy" <> wrote in message news:... > All, > > I've recently upgraded to Money 2004 Premium from 2003 Deluxe. I'm now > finding that I can't view any help topics--I get the "Unable to load topic. > Click here to try again." I've tried all the suggestions posted here and at > other sites: cleared out temporary in...

Technical error
AMEX and Discover are not being sent over to the credit card processor during settlement. I comes up with a "TECHNICAL ERROR". Visa and MC are settling fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?? All are setup as different tranaction types in RMS and ALL authorize fine during the transaction process. Your merchant account is not correctly configured for AMEX & Discover. This is on the bank's side, not RMS. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me dir...

CObject Private method access error

Error in closing Outlook
Application error ciceroUIWndFrame. The instruction at 0x7e430240 reference memory cannot be written 0x7e42631A Also unable to dial a phone using Outlook. Sanford Take a look here -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Sanford Aranoff" <> wrote in message > Application error ciceroUIWndFrame. > The instruction at 0x7e430240 reference me...

Typing message error

Receive an error message when you try to perform any editing tasks
Hi We have exch2003 cluster and recently we have some note book with Vista, now when we are accessing mailbox through OWA we are getting error when we want to edit (reply, forward) there is article from MS, we want to know does this article also apply to exch clsuter or it is for member server. The artical is Nagori Not sure what you mean by either exch cluster or member server, but basically you will need to install this patch on your FE and BE exchange servers, including your exch cluster servers. To install exch hotfixes or patches, move...

outlook.pst error message
When I attmept to open Outlook 2000 (in Windows XP) I get an error message that the file C:Documents and Setting\Owner Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst has detetected an error. It tells me to quit all mail-enabled applications and then use the Inbox repair tool. I have tried to run the repair tool many times and it always crashes before it fin9shes scanning the files. One time it finished the scan and stated that files were damaged and it asked if I wanted to Repair those files. I said yes and it froze up and would not respond. Are there any other ways ...

PM Transaction continuing error message #2
We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a query for all documents that were less than 1 or greater the 8 on the PM00400 & PM30200 tables. And updated the ones to what they needed to be. And it worked! And the message went away! But then we ...

Message "An error has occured" when click Activity
Hi All, After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". Has anybody encounter this issue before? Previously it was working fine, after we import the customization. I have problem to create new email activity. Thanks. -- Regards, Venedict what does the Event Viewer say? "Venedict" wrote: > Hi All, > > After creating a new case, when i try to create a new email activity, > message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator". &g...

error messages #3
I had the error message... > cannot I soved this by following the instructions listed here. > > Then I received the error message... > 1311 source not found C:\MSOCache\All > Users\90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-015204838309\PA561401.CAB > I do not have the install disks for Microsoft Office Professional 2003. My > computer was build by som...

Pub error
I get the following message whenever I scan photos in Corel Photopaint and copy paste into Pub 2003. Happens on all my computers. Happens after scanning about 6 pictures or so. Publisher cannot launch or communicate with the OLE server program needed to complete the task. There may not be enough disk space, or there may be a problem with the server program. To make more disk space available, delete some unneeded files on your hard disk. If you suspect a problem with the server program, try reinstalling it. Then try this task again. Is there a way to correct this? Scan your p...

GP upgrade from 8 to 10 error message
I upgrade from GP7.5 to GP8 few months back and now I am trying to upgrade it to GP10 in lab environment. I followed the line by line instruction in upgrade instructions. I also installed sp3 but whenever I try to urn GP Utility it is giving me this error message "Database Name" Advanced security product 3104 does not support upgrading from version 7.50 or prior" "report scheduler Product 3278 does not support upgrading from version 7.50" Any help will be appreciated. Please be gentle it is my first time that I am playing with this product. Thanks, Abid, You m...

Error Checking & Break Point Failure
I have a database (FE + BE) in A2000 which has suffered some corruption (I think). The problem is that the Break Point facility no longer works. I can enter a break point (the line goes brown) but when the code executes the break point is ignored. Other databases on the same hard disk seem to work OK. So far I have done the following :- Compiled the code, no errors shown. Decompiled the database file. Compacted and Repaired the file. Tried the JETCOMP facility from MS. Looked at Allen Browne's site but could not see anything relevant. I have reverted to my back up copies from 1 and 2 wee...