How to move music from flash drive

  • Follow

Help! I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista (unfortunately) and want to
move my music files to my new Asus Netbook with XP via a flash drive. The
files show up in My Music but not in the Media Player Library, even after
several attempts, closing program and shutting down puter. I need very
specific directions and have nothing online to help so far.
0
Reply Utf 2/15/2010 5:15:01 PM

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:15:01 -0800, geogypsy
<geogypsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Help! I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista (unfortunately) and want to
>move my music files to my new Asus Netbook with XP via a flash drive. The
>files show up in My Music but not in the Media Player Library, even after
>several attempts, closing program and shutting down puter. I need very
>specific directions and have nothing online to help so far.

Is the Monitored Folders list empty on the Netbook's version of WMP ?
Press F3 in media player to show the monitor Folders dialog to be
sure. Next, have a look at this article

Running those steps on the Netbook would be the first thing I'd try.

Out of interest, are you sing a slimmed down version of XP (BartPE or
similar) ? It's *possible* some WMP features might have been excluded
by the reduced disk image size when XP was slimmed down.

This process can include disabling services considered non-essential,
such as scanning the network for devices and files... just a thought.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2010
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs