File .mkv with WMP 12 in Windows 7

Hi,
I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7.
I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in Vista
just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't
understand..
Can Someone Help me?
Thanks

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:21:02 -0800, Francesco
<Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in =
Windows 7.
> I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in =
Vista=20
> just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
> Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't=20
> understand..

Some questions come to mind:

1. Were you ever able to open .mkv files in Windows 7?
2. What error message, if any, do you get when you try and open an
..mkv file in Win7?
3. If you change an .mkv file's extension to .ts, will it open in
Win7?

--=20
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
0
Opinicus
12/24/2009 3:41:13 PM

"Opinicus" wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:21:02 -0800, Francesco
> <Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7.
> > I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in Vista
> > just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
> > Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't
> > understand..
>
> Some questions come to mind:
>
> 1. Were you ever able to open .mkv files in Windows 7?
> 2. What error message, if any, do you get when you try and open an
> ..mkv file in Win7?
> 3. If you change an .mkv file's extension to .ts, will it open in
> Win7?
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com
> .

Hi, thanks for your time.. Answers:
1. no never been able to open in win 7, but i have upgraded my notebook OS
from vista just 1 week ago and there the same files worked in WMP.
2. at first it says that the extension (.mkv) is not recognized from WMP but
it COULD be played anyway, then when i agree to try it says "impossible to
play the file, It's possible that WMP doesn't support this kind of file or
the codec used to compress it" i hope i translated properly from italian.
3. i tried to change the extension of the files from .mkv to .ts, but it
goes directly to the second error message.

One last thing, the OS and WMP are completely original.

I hope you can understand something more than i do.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!!
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:09:01 -0800, Francesco
<Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>=20

> 1. no never been able to open in win 7, but i have upgraded my notebook=
 OS=20
> from vista just 1 week ago and there the same files worked in WMP.
> 2. at first it says that the extension (.mkv) is not recognized from =
WMP but=20
> it COULD be played anyway, then when i agree to try it says "impossible=
 to=20
> play the file, It's possible that WMP doesn't support this kind of file=
 or=20
> the codec used to compress it" i hope i translated properly from =
italian.
> 3. i tried to change the extension of the files from .mkv to .ts, but =
it=20
> goes directly to the second error message.

I don't have any experience with Win7 so I don't know if there are any
problems with the K-Lite pack and it. I do use it on XP (with great
success) and on Vista (not so great). In a similar situation what I
would do is create a restore point and completely uninstall K-Lite.
Reboot. Download *the most recent version* of K-Lite and install that.
Reboot.

If K-Lite has become compatible with Win7 this should do it.

--=20
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
0
Opinicus
12/25/2009 4:47:34 AM
"Francesco" <Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in
> Windows 7.
> I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in Vista
> just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
> Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't
> understand..
> Can Someone Help me?
> Thanks

K-Lite codec pack is a disaster to be avoided at all costs.
the simple explaination to your issue, the resolution of your
HD files is not relevent to why some play and some don't.
..mkv are Matroshka container files.
http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/matroska.cfm
The easiest solution is to playback such files in VLC media
player which has native support for .mkv.
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/vlc.cfm

For WMP playback download and install the Matroshka pack:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv.cfm

0
Panzy
12/25/2009 10:47:34 PM

"Panzy" wrote:

> "Francesco" <Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in
> > Windows 7.
> > I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in Vista
> > just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
> > Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't
> > understand..
> > Can Someone Help me?
> > Thanks
> >

> K-Lite codec pack is a disaster to be avoided at all costs.
> the simple explaination to your issue, the resolution of your
> HD files is not relevent to why some play and some don't.
> ..mkv are Matroshka container files.
> http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/matroska.cfm
> The easiest solution is to playback such files in VLC media
> player which has native support for .mkv.
> http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/vlc.cfm
>
> For WMP playback download and install the Matroshka pack:
> http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv.cfm
>

> .

Thank you very much!!!!!
I installed the latest version of VLC but the video quality remained way
lower than WMP in .avi files, so i tried to unistall the K-lite and install
the Matroshka pack..
Now It's perfect WMP opens everithing and more.. it displaies the subtitle
(.srt) the other issue i hade since i turned to Win7.
Now i'm really fain.
Thanks a LOT!

> Thank you very much!!!!!
> I installed the latest version of VLC but the video quality remained way
> lower than WMP in .avi files, so i tried to unistall the K-lite and
> install
> the Matroshka pack..
> Now It's perfect WMP opens everithing and more.. it displaies the subtitle
> (.srt) the other issue i hade since i turned to Win7.
> Now i'm really fain.
> Thanks a LOT!

I'm glad it worked, and thanks for the update.

0
Panzy
12/26/2009 8:36:53 AM
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:36:53 -0000, "Panzy" <this@is.a.chore> wrote:

>"Francesco" <Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>> Thank you very much!!!!!
>> I installed the latest version of VLC but the video quality remained way
>> lower than WMP in .avi files, so i tried to unistall the K-lite and
>> install
>> the Matroshka pack..
>> Now It's perfect WMP opens everithing and more.. it displaies the subtitle
>> (.srt) the other issue i hade since i turned to Win7.
>> Now i'm really fain.
>> Thanks a LOT!
>>

>I'm glad it worked, and thanks for the update.

The Matroska splitter is one option, another (for reference) is DivX7,
which comes with both the latest DivX codecs for playback in WMP and
the Matroska splitter : http://www.divx.com/en/mkv you'll probably be
seeing a lot more of this if you're getting your files off file
sharing websites.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
0
Neil

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Windows Tablet INK Macro
I'm developing a DMR solution on a Tablet with Windows Tablet XP and Office 2007. I need to use a button on a form to turn on and off the INK pen. When I try to just record a macro it causes Excel to get a hang and crash. Can you give me a code snippet to turn on the INK pen? Thanks for your help, Greg -- ...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Windows Update Failures
Running Windows XP Pro, SP3 and Office 2007 Ultimate. I have five updates that will not install. I am getting three different error codes. I have searched the web and this message board for a solution to no avail. I have tried installing each one individually, in groups (e.g. Office 2007 group and Windows XP group), as well as trying to install all five together. Regardless, I always get the same error codes on each of these. Below are the updates and the error codes received for each one. Appreciate any help to get over this issue. Windows XP - Microsoft .NET Framewo...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

12.0.1 Update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel Hi there I am trying to install the 12.0.1 update and i get this message: "you cannot install Microsoft Office for 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 on this volume" Any ideas why this is happening? "danson@officeformac.com" wrote: > I am trying to install the 12.0.1 update and i get this message: > > "you cannot install Microsoft Office for 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 on this volume" > > Any ideas why this is happening? See if Spotlight can find the "Setup Assistant". Next try to ap...

reason: 554 5.7.1 real time blacklist
A user complained that they are not able to send messages to someone and got a returned message ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <xxxxxx@andrews.edu> (reason: 554 5.7.1 x.x.x.x: on real-time blacklist dnsbl.sorbs.net) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to outbox.andrews.edu.: >>> DATA <<< 554 5.7.1 x.x.x.x: on real-time blacklist dnsbl.sorbs.net 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable <<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient) any idea? Your domain is listed on sorbs. http://www.us.sorbs.net/ Go find out...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...

Outlook problem, cache mode, outlook0.ost, windows desktop search
Hi, here's a relatively tough one for the forum's gurus. I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop with Intel Core Duo at 2Ghz with 2GB RAM. I am running Office 2003 Professional Edition, Firefox, McAfee Viruscan Enterprise 8.5.0i, Windows Desktop Search 4.0, Skype and a few more apps, but not that much crap installed. I run Outlook in cache mode, with the outlook0.ost file being at 301MB and the Exchange mailbox size is 271Mb (I just compacted the OST file). I currently have 5 PST files for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 year emails. For professional reasons I sho...

Excel file saves as a temp file with numeric file name
I have a bug with an excel worksheet. When i save the file it saves it not as my filename, but as a temp file with a name like D7d98300 and the file icon is of the MS DOS variety. When i click on the file it opens up in excel. However when i save it again it saves as a temp file with a different numerical file name. Could someone please explain what the bug is? Thanks in anticipation. Michael --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the...

hidden tif files
I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons. I can only tell the files are there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during the 'save as' step. How do I see the icons/files? I have already done the "show hidden files" step. Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...