File .mkv with WMP 12 in Windows 7

  • Follow

Hi,
I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7.
I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in Vista
just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't
understand..
Can Someone Help me?
Thanks
0
Reply Utf 12/24/2009 5:21:02 AM

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:21:02 -0800, Francesco
<Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in =
Windows 7.
> I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in =
Vista=20
> just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
> Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't=20
> understand..

Some questions come to mind:

1. Were you ever able to open .mkv files in Windows 7?
2. What error message, if any, do you get when you try and open an
..mkv file in Win7?
3. If you change an .mkv file's extension to .ts, will it open in
Win7?

--=20
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
0
Reply Opinicus 12/24/2009 3:41:13 PM

"Opinicus" wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:21:02 -0800, Francesco
> <Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7.
> > I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in Vista
> > just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
> > Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't
> > understand..
>
> Some questions come to mind:
>
> 1. Were you ever able to open .mkv files in Windows 7?
> 2. What error message, if any, do you get when you try and open an
> ..mkv file in Win7?
> 3. If you change an .mkv file's extension to .ts, will it open in
> Win7?
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com
> .

Hi, thanks for your time.. Answers:
1. no never been able to open in win 7, but i have upgraded my notebook OS
from vista just 1 week ago and there the same files worked in WMP.
2. at first it says that the extension (.mkv) is not recognized from WMP but
it COULD be played anyway, then when i agree to try it says "impossible to
play the file, It's possible that WMP doesn't support this kind of file or
the codec used to compress it" i hope i translated properly from italian.
3. i tried to change the extension of the files from .mkv to .ts, but it
goes directly to the second error message.

One last thing, the OS and WMP are completely original.

I hope you can understand something more than i do.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!!
0
Reply Utf 12/25/2009 2:09:01 AM

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:09:01 -0800, Francesco
<Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>=20

> 1. no never been able to open in win 7, but i have upgraded my notebook=
 OS=20
> from vista just 1 week ago and there the same files worked in WMP.
> 2. at first it says that the extension (.mkv) is not recognized from =
WMP but=20
> it COULD be played anyway, then when i agree to try it says "impossible=
 to=20
> play the file, It's possible that WMP doesn't support this kind of file=
 or=20
> the codec used to compress it" i hope i translated properly from =
italian.
> 3. i tried to change the extension of the files from .mkv to .ts, but =
it=20
> goes directly to the second error message.

I don't have any experience with Win7 so I don't know if there are any
problems with the K-Lite pack and it. I do use it on XP (with great
success) and on Vista (not so great). In a similar situation what I
would do is create a restore point and completely uninstall K-Lite.
Reboot. Download *the most recent version* of K-Lite and install that.
Reboot.

If K-Lite has become compatible with Win7 this should do it.

--=20
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
0
Reply Opinicus 12/25/2009 4:47:34 AM

"Francesco" <Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in
> Windows 7.
> I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in Vista
> just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
> Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't
> understand..
> Can Someone Help me?
> Thanks

K-Lite codec pack is a disaster to be avoided at all costs.
the simple explaination to your issue, the resolution of your
HD files is not relevent to why some play and some don't.
..mkv are Matroshka container files.
http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/matroska.cfm
The easiest solution is to playback such files in VLC media
player which has native support for .mkv.
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/vlc.cfm

For WMP playback download and install the Matroshka pack:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv.cfm

0
Reply Panzy 12/25/2009 10:47:34 PM

"Panzy" wrote:

> "Francesco" <Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I can't open files in HD mkv (720p) with Windows Media Player 12 in
> > Windows 7.
> > I installed the latest codec pack (K-Lite Full 5.5.3) it worked in Vista
> > just a week ago and now the same files can't be opened in Windows 7.
> > Strange thing is that it perfectly open .TS file in 1080p.. i can't
> > understand..
> > Can Someone Help me?
> > Thanks
> >

> K-Lite codec pack is a disaster to be avoided at all costs.
> the simple explaination to your issue, the resolution of your
> HD files is not relevent to why some play and some don't.
> ..mkv are Matroshka container files.
> http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/matroska.cfm
> The easiest solution is to playback such files in VLC media
> player which has native support for .mkv.
> http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/vlc.cfm
>
> For WMP playback download and install the Matroshka pack:
> http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv.cfm
>

> .

Thank you very much!!!!!
I installed the latest version of VLC but the video quality remained way
lower than WMP in .avi files, so i tried to unistall the K-lite and install
the Matroshka pack..
Now It's perfect WMP opens everithing and more.. it displaies the subtitle
(.srt) the other issue i hade since i turned to Win7.
Now i'm really fain.
Thanks a LOT!
0
Reply Utf 12/26/2009 1:28:01 AM

> Thank you very much!!!!!
> I installed the latest version of VLC but the video quality remained way
> lower than WMP in .avi files, so i tried to unistall the K-lite and
> install
> the Matroshka pack..
> Now It's perfect WMP opens everithing and more.. it displaies the subtitle
> (.srt) the other issue i hade since i turned to Win7.
> Now i'm really fain.
> Thanks a LOT!

I'm glad it worked, and thanks for the update.

0
Reply Panzy 12/26/2009 8:36:53 AM

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:36:53 -0000, "Panzy" <this@is.a.chore> wrote:

>"Francesco" <Francesco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>> Thank you very much!!!!!
>> I installed the latest version of VLC but the video quality remained way
>> lower than WMP in .avi files, so i tried to unistall the K-lite and
>> install
>> the Matroshka pack..
>> Now It's perfect WMP opens everithing and more.. it displaies the subtitle
>> (.srt) the other issue i hade since i turned to Win7.
>> Now i'm really fain.
>> Thanks a LOT!
>>

>I'm glad it worked, and thanks for the update.

The Matroska splitter is one option, another (for reference) is DivX7,
which comes with both the latest DivX codecs for playback in WMP and
the Matroska splitter : http://www.divx.com/en/mkv you'll probably be
seeing a lot more of this if you're getting your files off file
sharing websites.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009