DVD decoder not installed....

  • Follow

Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is
not installed on your computer. I am getting this error message on my
daughters computer but do not get it on mine. I do not remember buying a
decoder for mine though. Is there a download for one?
thanks,
Lara
0
Reply Utf 12/26/2009 2:49:01 AM

  Most require a fee for use.If you have an ATI video card,they have a free
 download decoder,nvidia charges for it.You can get DVD decoder software
 from WM list at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx
 Or try downloads.com for a free temp. one.

"no.1nailgirl" wrote:

> Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is
> not installed on your computer. I am getting this error message on my
> daughters computer but do not get it on mine. I do not remember buying a
> decoder for mine though. Is there a download for one?
> thanks,
> Lara
0
Reply Utf 12/26/2009 3:46:01 AM

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 18:49:01 -0800, no.1nailgirl
<no.1nailgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is
>not installed on your computer. I am getting this error message on my
>daughters computer but do not get it on mine. I do not remember buying a
>decoder for mine though. Is there a download for one?

Vista home premuim and ultimate came with DVD decoders as part of the
purchase price, but not Home Basic or any version of XP other than
media center edition.

You can get a 21 or 30 day trial version from NVidia or Elecard, both
of which are known to work well with media player 11 :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html
http://www.elecard.com/products/products-pc/consumer/mpeg2-plugin-wmp/
(Elecard link seems down at 6:40PM 27 Dec)

After the trial expires, you'd need to purchase one of those or you'd
lose DVD video on playback.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009