Burned CD Playback Distortion

Using:
WMP 12.0.7600.16415
in
Windows 7 Home Premium
on
Dell Studio Laptop

1) Created playlist from (18) songs ripped from numerous CDs
2) Playlist in WMP sounds fine - no distortion
3) Burned a CD-R from the playlist (filled all but about 4 minutes of CD)
4) Played burned CD on home stereo
5) Initially, CD sounds fine - no distortion
6) Toward the end of the CD (maybe the 13th song out of 18) a crackling
distortion starts to play over everything from that point to the end of the
CD.

This happened twice, using 2 different playlists.  The second time, I had no
other applications running.

I did not try to:
a) Play the burned CD thru WMP to see if the distortion occurs there, too.
b) Burn the offending songs to an different (earlier) segment of a new CD to
see if the probelm is the songs themselves or, perhaps, the position they
occupy on the CD.

Any ideas?
Could a background task be causing this?

Thanks!

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 08:39:01 -0800, Dean-o D <Dean-o
D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using:
>WMP 12.0.7600.16415
>in
>Windows 7 Home Premium
>on
>Dell Studio Laptop
>
>1) Created playlist from (18) songs ripped from numerous CDs
>2) Playlist in WMP sounds fine - no distortion
>3) Burned a CD-R from the playlist (filled all but about 4 minutes of CD)
>4) Played burned CD on home stereo
>5) Initially, CD sounds fine - no distortion
>6) Toward the end of the CD (maybe the 13th song out of 18) a crackling
>distortion starts to play over everything from that point to the end of the
>CD.
>
>This happened twice, using 2 different playlists.  The second time, I had no
>other applications running.
>
>I did not try to:
>a) Play the burned CD thru WMP to see if the distortion occurs there, too.
>b) Burn the offending songs to an different (earlier) segment of a new CD to
>see if the probelm is the songs themselves or, perhaps, the position they
>occupy on the CD.
>
>Any ideas?
>Could a background task be causing this?

CD writing is a very leisurely process for modern PCs (about how old
is the PC, and the drive in it ? The drives don't last forever....)

CD disks play from the inside towards the outer edge.

Sometimes you can inspect the CD and see 'wobbles' in the tracks often
caused by marginal CD writer drive mechanics (or poor laser tracking)
and sometimes this is exacerbated by cheap or otherwise iffy CD blanks

Try a different brand of CD at a few dollars more per pack to see if
it's reproducible with a different dye/substrate type on the blank.

Obviously, make sure the blank CD is clean and oil/dust free by wiping
with a dry cloth/clean tshirt etc before you try to record it.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2010
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
0
Neil

How to determine CD Drives with CD inserted?
Hello, i've got a quite urgent question and would greatly appreciate any help. I want to check if the CD with my software is in any of the CD/DVD drives and read from it. My first guess was to do an fopen() on "D:\", "E:\", "F:\" etc. and look for the disc, but unfortunately if no CD is inserted, the user gets the message box from Windows OS telling that no CD is in the drive, which is quite weired as it could be in the other one. I am using MS Visual C++.dot (2002) and looking forward for your ideas. Solution must run on Win 98 and later. Thank you, Eiko...

Playback of burned CDs
Whether I've ripped and burned my own cds or whether I've paid for Itunes songs and tried to burn them to cd, only 13 songs playback and then the rest are stuck like an old vinyl record, even though I haven't "overloaded" the cd. The songs > 13 won't even get started! What is that all about and how do I fix it? I am running Vista and this is a new computer as of Sep 2009. On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:24:01 -0800, Shumbakili <Shumbakili@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Whether I've ripped and burned my own cds or whether I've paid for I...

backup to cd #3
could someone please give me step by step instructions for backing up to cd or flash drive. can't find them anywhere. In microsoft.public.money, kate wrote: >could someone please give me step by step instructions for backing up to cd >or flash drive. can't find them anywhere. I suggest you back up to the USB flash drive periodically, and that you maybe copy a recent backup occasionally to a CDR by Copy and Paste using Window Explorer. Note that you can hard assign a drive letter to a USB flash drive on each computer that you use. That way, the drive letter will be the sam...

cd burning
hi guys, iam new to this news .I get some help here my application is burning the cd rom just lime nero.It should work all devices (scsi,atapi) and also iam proficient in vc++.so please send me any material ,resources,books........ whatever it may be.dont send me windows xp default cd burner or nero sdk .we have to do every thing except implementing the wnaspi32.dll ...

Lost install CD, need to reinstall Office, have Product ID, how can I get Product Key?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I rebuilt a computer at work and need to re-install Office 2008. We have a license for it, but the original CD w/Product Key has been lost and no one wrote down the Product Key. Is there a way to convert the Product ID into a Product Key so that I can re-install the software using my Office 2008 CD from home? On 9/29/09 6:02 AM, in article 59b7d84b.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "chrisblackstone@officeformac.com" <chrisblackstone@officeformac.com> wrote: > I rebuilt a computer at work and need to r...

foreground window distorts image in background window
I am finding that when a 'foreground' window is dragged across a background window, the image in the background window is distorted. I have an application that displays a series of line drawings in real-time. To keep this example simple, assume a horizontal line is drawn across the screen and that the width of the line is a single pixel. Once a second, the display is scrolled to the left by an amount equal to 1/4 of the display width and then the rightmost 1/4 line is redrawn. From the users perspective, the line drawing never changes, that is, the user does not see the screen be...

Did I just turn off my CD/DVD drive?
I had just got done fending off a virus on my computer (vista home premium, 32bit). Had to uninstall/reinstall QuickBooks because it wasn't working. I also went through and cleaned up everything I could from the computer, and turned off anything I thought was unneccessary. QB got through with the installation, but is not on my computer anywhere (I've checked everything I know how to check), and when I went to re-re-install, the computer does not recognize that there is anything in the disk drive. Any suggestions/tips/comments/proposals? Thanks in advance. -da Bagel -- ...

Obtaining just Outlook 2002 on a CD
I need just to install Outlook 2000 on a few dozen PCs..can any one tell me how I can either download Outlook2000 or purchase a CD with just outlook on it. Thanks in advance for your help. Tony Tony <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need just to install Outlook 2000 on a few dozen > PCs..can any one tell me how I can either download > Outlook2000 or purchase a CD with just outlook on it. Ebay. -- Brian Tillman ...

How to Add Money to a CD
If at the end of a 1 year cd I want to add money from my checking account to the cd and renew it for 1 more year how do I do that. Lets say I have currently have a one year cd for $2000 and it it needs to be renewed under the same cd number and I want to add $2000 to it from my checking account. I want to show the money coming from my checking account to add the $2000. Fred Much depends on how you did things you didn't describe. In general, I'd say that your best bet--if you want to treat these as Money Investments--is to define an investment as a $1 CD, renew 2,134.00 units...

Playback of burned cd's
After burning cd's in Windows Media Player I find they will not play on my other cd players why? I use Vista Home edition and my laptop is an inspiron 1720 Perhaps you burned them as data CD's instead of audio CD's? A lot of CD players can only play 'normal' audio CD's. In WMP, click the little arrow right below the Burn-button at the top, and make sure Audio CD is selected. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk fab wrote: > After burning cd's in Windows Media Player I find they will not play on my > other cd players why? ...

Which CD's to use?
I have Microsoft Select CDs for both Exchange 2003 Enterprise (dated August 2003) and 2003 SP2 (dated December 2005). I'm about to do the prep for a 5.5 to 2003 migration. I downloaded the latest exdeploy kit off the Microsoft site. Am I right in thinking that I need to use the ADC from the SP2 CD as it will be the latest version, but for everything else (i.e domainprep and forestprep) I use the original Exchange 2003 CD, and then when the setup is completed obviously I apply Service Pack 2? cheers, Paul -- paul@spamcop.net Yes. Nue "Paul Hutchings" <paul@spamcop.n...

CRM to GP Integration CD Builds
Hi, We are missing our GP to CRM Integration CD and waiting on delivery of a new one. However, we do have the Release Candidate 2 CD dated 3/25/2003. Can anyone tell me if this CD is the same as the RTM CD that went out? I can't remember if there was another build afterwards. Alan ...

Burn to Death
Burn to Death - Please Help on Recovery. Hi Everyone I just want to start by saying that this is an urgent issue and any help would be very, very appreciated. -Scenario: 5 Different Forests each one with one Domain, forest trust between each forest exist, about 1000 users and computer objects between each one of them. -My responsibility is 2 Forests in my local site connected by fiber optic. -Problem: Last night, some angry people place one of our local offices on fire, as result one of the walls of the IT Dep. (Where the servers were), crashed down and took my 2 servers (Forest1 / 1 Do...

Copying messages to CD
I have bought a laptop, and I need to copy my messages, and folders from my old PC,to CD from Outlook Express, then load them from the CD to my new laptop running Outlook. Any suggestions? Thanks Use the Simple Backup mehod described here http://www.insideoe.com/backup/ Import the messages and addresses into OE on your laptop Open Outlook, select File-Import-Import Internet Mail and Adresses Regards Mark Dormer <demarte@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:1153033346.337593.137330@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I have bought a laptop, and I need to copy my messages, and fo...

Burn MP3 CD's with WMP11 or Instant Burn?
Hi Everyone, I seem to be missing something simple here. I'm running WinXP SP3 and am trying to burn an MP3 CD using WMP11. I've read in these forums that all I have to do is select "Data CD" from the options in the Burn menu, drag a list of files from Explorer into the right hand pane in WMP11, then click on "Burn". However when I do this, I immediately get a message beside each track saying "An Error Occurred." Right. I tried another suggestion here using Explorer. I selected all the files and right-clicked on "Send To" to the CD...

Will I get a CD
I used the Money 2004 trial for a while then upgraded to Deluxe. I entered CC & shipping info, but it appears the upgrade took place online. Will I still get a cd & documentation? No. This is why many of us ALWAYS advise that you go to the store and buy a CD like normal folk. "Patrick Gault" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31dd01c48753$90d59bd0$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I used the Money 2004 trial for a while then upgraded to > Deluxe. I entered CC & shipping info, but it appears the > upgrade took place online. Will I still ...

CD burning 01-25-10
I am unable to burn a music cd. I can only burn about 4 songs and media player 11 stops and i get a mess. saying I should insert a new cd or clean the cd or try a differemt cd. I have tried using Roxio cd burner and I experience the same problem. I have burned cd's before - it has been about two years, experienced no problems then. No system crash. I have tried two brands of cd's with no success. -- MTM ...

OWA asking for SR-1 CD when replying to email
I have several users who access OWA. When they try to reply to an email, a process is started that wants the Office 2000 SR-1 CD, as if you were installing a program new. After you cancel out of the prompts looking for the .msi, you can log off. The reply never happens. They are running IE6SP1 and W2K. This doesn't happen when I have the full Outlook 2003 client installed on the PC. Any thoughts? Rom See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298110 Rom wrote: > I have several users who access OWA. When they try to reply to an > email, a process is started that wants the Office 2...

Reading Publisher file after burning to CD
After a Publisher file is burned to a CD, error message says Publisher cannot find that file. ...

burning e-mail to CD
Can anyone tell me where e-mails are stored on an individual PC. I want to reformat my computer, but I want to burn a CD containing my current e-mail postings. Any help? I've looked all through windows explorer and can find where they reside. Microsoft Outlook stores items in a *.PST file. File location tends to vary, but the easiest way to find the file is to bring up the folder list, right click on personal folders, select properties, and select advanced to get the path/filename information. FWIW, when you go to burn the *.pst file to the CD. Do not burn faster than 4x. -- Neo...

Read Out TOC of a music CD
Hello all, does anybody know, how to read out the TOC of a CD with a C or C++ function under windows.(Perhaps with MFC). I don't aks for a tool to do this, because I want to use this TOC information further on in an own software without copying the TOC from a tool to this software. Thanks in advance UG There are several problems here. I don't think it is well-documented how to do this, but a number of open-source tools know how to do it; the downside here is that they are open-source under GPL, which causes you all kinds of problems if you actually use them. The usual workaroun...

Saving to CD from Publisher
Help! First time Publisher user... trying to do a rush school yearbook project for 50 kids... I am using the Microsoft Office Package version, so not full version of Publisher?, preinstalled on my computer with the Office 2003 package and Windows xp 2002 version OP. When I try to save my 12 page project to D drive (which I use all the time to save and to and from) it says: "Incorrect Function" and then new box "You do not have access to the folder "d". See your administrator for access to this folder." HOW FRUSTRATION... I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR OF MY COMPUTER...

Money 2002
Hello; Investment Name: GIC(in US$) Investment Type: CD About a year ago, I used "Remove Shares" activity, "Value" = 3,000 as a partial cashing of the CD. I didn't realize till much later that the transaction was posted in the "Investment Information for GIC (in US$)" (for whatever reason as) "Quantity" = 3,000, "Amount" = US$ 0.00 !!!!! (no Price). Obviously, that is very wrong, or at least not what I had intented! I would like to edit that transaction so that I end up with " - 3,000" under the "Amount" in th...

Hyperlinks on CD
I used Publisher to create an index for a 'toolbox' of information and documents to go on to CD to be distributed to clients. As my CD drive is :D all the hyperlinks are to this drive. How do I get the links to recognise that the CD is inserted into other dirve names? ie :E? Although this article is addressing email, it should work for you as well. How to save your publication as a Web Archive in Publisher and share it in e-mail http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312157/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com ...

format a CD
Hi, how can I format a cd+rw re writeable disc aga ...