Burned CD Playback Distortion

Using:
WMP 12.0.7600.16415
in
Windows 7 Home Premium
on
Dell Studio Laptop

1) Created playlist from (18) songs ripped from numerous CDs
2) Playlist in WMP sounds fine - no distortion
3) Burned a CD-R from the playlist (filled all but about 4 minutes of CD)
4) Played burned CD on home stereo
5) Initially, CD sounds fine - no distortion
6) Toward the end of the CD (maybe the 13th song out of 18) a crackling
distortion starts to play over everything from that point to the end of the
CD.

This happened twice, using 2 different playlists.  The second time, I had no
other applications running.

I did not try to:
a) Play the burned CD thru WMP to see if the distortion occurs there, too.
b) Burn the offending songs to an different (earlier) segment of a new CD to
see if the probelm is the songs themselves or, perhaps, the position they
occupy on the CD.

Any ideas?
Could a background task be causing this?

Thanks!

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 08:39:01 -0800, Dean-o D <Dean-o
D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using:
>WMP 12.0.7600.16415
>in
>Windows 7 Home Premium
>on
>Dell Studio Laptop
>
>1) Created playlist from (18) songs ripped from numerous CDs
>2) Playlist in WMP sounds fine - no distortion
>3) Burned a CD-R from the playlist (filled all but about 4 minutes of CD)
>4) Played burned CD on home stereo
>5) Initially, CD sounds fine - no distortion
>6) Toward the end of the CD (maybe the 13th song out of 18) a crackling
>distortion starts to play over everything from that point to the end of the
>CD.
>
>This happened twice, using 2 different playlists.  The second time, I had no
>other applications running.
>
>I did not try to:
>a) Play the burned CD thru WMP to see if the distortion occurs there, too.
>b) Burn the offending songs to an different (earlier) segment of a new CD to
>see if the probelm is the songs themselves or, perhaps, the position they
>occupy on the CD.
>
>Any ideas?
>Could a background task be causing this?

CD writing is a very leisurely process for modern PCs (about how old
is the PC, and the drive in it ? The drives don't last forever....)

CD disks play from the inside towards the outer edge.

Sometimes you can inspect the CD and see 'wobbles' in the tracks often
caused by marginal CD writer drive mechanics (or poor laser tracking)
and sometimes this is exacerbated by cheap or otherwise iffy CD blanks

Try a different brand of CD at a few dollars more per pack to see if
it's reproducible with a different dye/substrate type on the blank.

Obviously, make sure the blank CD is clean and oil/dust free by wiping
with a dry cloth/clean tshirt etc before you try to record it.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2010
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
0
Neil

Backup to CD?
I've tried backing up my file to CD, but everytime I try to select a different drive, it only gives me the option to save to the A: drive. Why? What can I do? File -> Backup backup to the hard drive transfer backup file to cd >-----Original Message----- >I've tried backing up my file to CD, but everytime I try >to select a different drive, it only gives me the option >to save to the A: drive. Why? What can I do? >. > See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q51 -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.asp...

How do I burn a Personal Folder to a DVD?
I have Outlook 2007. I have many personal folders. Some I want to transfer to a DVD. How do I burn a personal folder to a DVD? Close outlook, find the pst files and burn them using your burner software. To open the location, before closing outlook, go to file, data file management and select a pst then click open folder button to open windows explorer to the pst location. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe...

How do I burn my publisher content to a CD?
When I try to burn my CD, the hyperlinks look for the information on my C drive. How can I transfer my files so the web page will work on CD. What version of Publisher? Did you save the pub file as a web? Are these web pages or external files you are talking about? David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com "Publisher Help" <Publisher Help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:777A6060-C6F1-475C-A78B-111A00689496@microsoft.com... > When I try to burn my CD, the hyperlinks look for the information on my C > drive. How can I tra...

CANNOT WRITE a CDFS/ISO OPTICAL DISK (CD/DVDR) in VISTA in MASTERING FORMAT? ALL COME OUT AS UDF
I select "Mastering" format instead of of what Microsoft stubbornly calls "LiveFileFormat" (which is really UDF). The disk is written in a few minutes, fine. But check properties - it comes up as "UDF". I need CDFS/ISO true Mastering format, too long to explain why. I am not recording music/videos & oher rubbish. It's all technical file si.e. DATA. I tried everything but despite Mastering format, not LiveFileSystem selected, it all writes as UDF. Now here's a surprise. If you think Vista is mislabeling a mastered disk as UDF, when i...

DVD Burning using C++
I am writing an application to burn DVDs using C++. Is there any way to burn a DVD using Visual C++. i know about IMAPI but its gives only support CD burning. what about the DVD Burning. how i can do that. Can anyone help me? Thanks a Lot... I haven't tried this, but it's shareware so you could try it out and see if it does what you want. The $250 per copy for royalty free license seems reasonable to me if it does all it claims: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Programming/C_and_C++_Tools_and_Components/Magic_CD_DVD_Burner__C_C___Library_.html Tom "jain" <parul...

CD's
can i download my pictures to a CD from microsoft office picture manager Sorry, this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting your question to a more appropriate newsgroup. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "PD60" <PD60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88336EDC-1521-4AAF-88FF-90D3FCD7F39D@microsoft.com... > can i download my pictures to a CD from microsoft office picture manager ...

CD Backup of Money
I burned a backup of Money to a CD. When I go to access through the D drive, all I get is an error message stating it can't read anything on the D drive or the file is a read only file and will not allow access. What process do I need to use to burn a copy of my file to CD for safekeeping? Thanks. Money will not be able to deal with a .MNY file on a read-only device like a CD. Copy the file to hard disk and make sure it is not set to Read Only. You can backup your .MNY data file to CD using whatever burning tool you like. Nero, Easy Coaster Creator, WinXPs native CD burner, whate...

Burning vinyl
I am "of a certain age" with lots of LP's I've loaded onto my computer. When I make a playlist and burn a copy to put on my work computer, all the info (title, artist, song name...) all disappears. How can I get it to transfer? Might it be that the audio is in WAV format? http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV_KB.htm Burn: if you mean a true audio CD, none of this information is transferred. You might look for a burning program supporting CDtext http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/CDText.htm -- http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com "Lloyd"...

Print preview distorts objects
I have an XL2000 worksheet that has 4 controls on it (one command button, and 3 radio buttons). When I print preview the worksheet, once I close the print preview window the controls become distorted in size and location. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this? Thanks, Bill ...

cd burning 11-24-09
okay here's my problem I never used to have problems burning but last year I got a zune mp3 player and it's software converted all my music into zune format now I don't have the mp3 player and have deleted the software and tried to convert the music files back but none of my music will burn it just says "windows encountered a problem while burning file to disc" I really need help with this tell me what I should do ...

Boot CD Shows Blank Window
Boot CD shows blank window when selected.. How can I show the files that are on the CD?? Willard wrote: > Boot CD shows blank window when selected.. > > How can I show the files that are on the CD?? Isobuster or other such type of utility will reveal the files. John What's the CD supposed to contain, there are loads of Bootable type cd's out there, you left a whole lot to the imagination. "Willard" wrote: > Boot CD shows blank window when selected.. > > How can I show the files that are on the CD?? > . > The CD was &quo...

Set up a CD Account
I can usually figure out how to use new software, but I'm new to Money 2005 and I am completely baffled about how to enter a CD account. In Portfolio Manager I do this: Work With Accounts/Add an Account/Investment(general)/My bank isn't listed. Then I click on "My bank... isn't listed" and I enter a name for the account. Then I get a dialog box asking if I want to add an investment now. What does that mean? I want to enter a start date, interest rate, maturity date of a CD! I'd appreciate suggestions. The CD is an "Investment" in Money parlance. First...

Download problems from CD
I recently purchase Money 2006 Deluxe and have not had any luck installing the program. I keeps asking for a QM.dll file that I can't find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Error Message while trying to burn cd
Hi. I tried to burn a cd for my class and was shocked when I got this message : Windows Media Player encountered a problem while burning the file to the disc. For additional assistance, click Web Help. Is there anyway to fix it? I never had a problem before. A few weeks ago it worked fine. Last week Windows did something like 17 updates...now I cant burn. Wonder if that caused it or something got deleted....Hope this can be fixed. Thank you. What version of WMP and Windows? If you click Web Help, what's the full URL (address) of the web page it takes you to? Rega...

Player will analyze and prepare music to burn but will not burn.
I recently updated to Version 11 and now my WM Player will Analyze and Prepare each song that is in the burn cue but as it initiates the transfer of the music to the disc, it generates a problem. As it starts the first song, it shows the message "finalizing disc" next to the first song. Then the burn ceases and the message " Windows Media Player can not burn files to the CD. Verify that the disc is clean and not damaged. If necessary, select a slower recording speed or try a different brand of blank discs." I tried two brands and tried several new clean d...

cant play burned cd in all players
using wmp11 I can only play burned cd's in newest cd player...not in car, not in laptop, not in 300 cdplayer. What's up with this? are you finalising the burn.... "kcj" <kcj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B198147-53F3-4D88-A5F6-56C849635C0E@microsoft.com... > > using wmp11 I can only play burned cd's in newest cd player...not in car, > not > in laptop, not in 300 cdplayer. What's up with this? On Wed, 5 May 2010 21:04:01 -0700, kcj <kcj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >using wmp11 I can...

Redeem CD Fails Balance Negative in future
I'm trying to redeem a CD worth $5000 and deposit the money in mjy account, I get the following error and cannot go any further. Send report does not add any useful info. "Adding this sell, Remove, or Redeem SHares activity will cause the balance of "CD xxx" held in this investment account to become negative at some point. Please cancel or revise this transaction" No value works, not $1, not $6000 Reference to the following knowledge base article may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154057/en-us Take care, Rick H. "CUTHBEMA" wrote: > I'm ...

Office Service Pack 3
My CD ROM does not work on my computer and I'm probably not going to get it fixed (will be getting a new computer later). Office Service Pack 3 automatically started and it asked for the Microsoft CD, which won't work on the computer. I had to cancel it. Now when I try to run Excel it wants to do an install and it asks for the CD. I can't get past this to open Excel. Is there a way to undo what this Service Pack started and go back to the way it was. I would rather have Excel without the Service Pack than not have Excel at all. Steve, Maybe... System Restore Start | ...

Playback of burned cd's
After burning cd's in Windows Media Player I find they will not play on my other cd players why? I use Vista Home edition and my laptop is an inspiron 1720 Perhaps you burned them as data CD's instead of audio CD's? A lot of CD players can only play 'normal' audio CD's. In WMP, click the little arrow right below the Burn-button at the top, and make sure Audio CD is selected. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk fab wrote: > After burning cd's in Windows Media Player I find they will not play on my > other cd players why? ...

Can I save all of my drivers on a CD?
Is there a way to list all of the drivers that are installed on my XP Pro laptop? And gather them up and save them on a CD? And selectively install some of them on another laptop? How? TIA, Paul "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message news:ejoYIAJlKHA.5520@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > > Is there a way to list all of the drivers that are installed on my XP Pro > laptop? And gather them up and save them on a CD? And selectively > install > some of them on another laptop? How? TIA, Paul > Go to your notebook manufactur...

DVD Burning
Hi All, I need to add a DVD Wirting feature to my application. As far as i know i can do it only by using some external SDK such as Nero. Can any body please suggest me Which sdk should be used. I am interested in one time cost as well as an option for distribution of Library along with my applcition. Regards, Ritu Hi Ritu, I use Nero SDK to provide this. The SDK is free, but each user must have a nero licence which if you're lucky comes with the DVD writer. If not, I believe it can be obtained quite cheaply. The SDK is fairly straightforward to use and comes with a good libraby of...

CD help in Money 2005
Hey guys, here's m problem.... I have 2 CDs through the same financial institution as I have savings account. When i update the savings account, it automaticall adds 2 other accounts for the CDs and says they are for $1000 each. After I setup an investment account with the two CDs as investment in it, Money shows my total account balance as beeing $2000 more tha it actually is. I cannot delete the CD accounts it has as Ban accounts because when I do, it also deletes the savings account. I there any way to solve this You could mark the accounts as closed. The main consideration is t...

Burn MP3 CD's with WMP11 or Instant Burn?
Hi Everyone, I seem to be missing something simple here. I'm running WinXP SP3 and am trying to burn an MP3 CD using WMP11. I've read in these forums that all I have to do is select "Data CD" from the options in the Burn menu, drag a list of files from Explorer into the right hand pane in WMP11, then click on "Burn". However when I do this, I immediately get a message beside each track saying "An Error Occurred." Right. I tried another suggestion here using Explorer. I selected all the files and right-clicked on "Send To" to the CD...

Lost Itunes cd burning after fixing registry because of Roxio remo
I unfortunately removed all Roxio Sonic software from my Win Xp Sp3 computer which caused an error 39 loss of cd/dvd in device manager. I applied the microsoft registry fix involving deleting UpperFilters and Lower Filters values for a specific regisry key mentioned here:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060 All my burning applications work normally such as Nero 9, Imageburn and Deepburner except Itunes 9. When I open Itunes I get this error:"Warning The registry settings used by Itunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs is missing. This...

RW Discs not burning
This is another odd problem for me using Vista Bus 32. I generally b/u Quicken data to CDRW (- or + doesn't matter). All of the sudden it keeps telling me insert an empty RW disc. The discs are new and the same brand I had been using. I can use the CyberLink s/w that came w/pc to erase the disc.. But if I go to Computer & try to Format the disc it fails. I get msg. saying Windows can not complete the format. The driver was uninstalled/reinstalled. The burner itself was even replaced. Yet I still have the same problem. HP is suggesting now restore pc back to factory defau...