Burned CD Playback Distortion

  • Follow

Using:
WMP 12.0.7600.16415
in
Windows 7 Home Premium
on
Dell Studio Laptop

1) Created playlist from (18) songs ripped from numerous CDs
2) Playlist in WMP sounds fine - no distortion
3) Burned a CD-R from the playlist (filled all but about 4 minutes of CD)
4) Played burned CD on home stereo
5) Initially, CD sounds fine - no distortion
6) Toward the end of the CD (maybe the 13th song out of 18) a crackling
distortion starts to play over everything from that point to the end of the
CD.

This happened twice, using 2 different playlists.  The second time, I had no
other applications running.

I did not try to:
a) Play the burned CD thru WMP to see if the distortion occurs there, too.
b) Burn the offending songs to an different (earlier) segment of a new CD to
see if the probelm is the songs themselves or, perhaps, the position they
occupy on the CD.

Any ideas?
Could a background task be causing this?

Thanks!
0
Reply Utf 1/23/2010 4:39:01 PM

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 08:39:01 -0800, Dean-o D <Dean-o
D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using:
>WMP 12.0.7600.16415
>in
>Windows 7 Home Premium
>on
>Dell Studio Laptop
>
>1) Created playlist from (18) songs ripped from numerous CDs
>2) Playlist in WMP sounds fine - no distortion
>3) Burned a CD-R from the playlist (filled all but about 4 minutes of CD)
>4) Played burned CD on home stereo
>5) Initially, CD sounds fine - no distortion
>6) Toward the end of the CD (maybe the 13th song out of 18) a crackling
>distortion starts to play over everything from that point to the end of the
>CD.
>
>This happened twice, using 2 different playlists.  The second time, I had no
>other applications running.
>
>I did not try to:
>a) Play the burned CD thru WMP to see if the distortion occurs there, too.
>b) Burn the offending songs to an different (earlier) segment of a new CD to
>see if the probelm is the songs themselves or, perhaps, the position they
>occupy on the CD.
>
>Any ideas?
>Could a background task be causing this?

CD writing is a very leisurely process for modern PCs (about how old
is the PC, and the drive in it ? The drives don't last forever....)

CD disks play from the inside towards the outer edge.

Sometimes you can inspect the CD and see 'wobbles' in the tracks often
caused by marginal CD writer drive mechanics (or poor laser tracking)
and sometimes this is exacerbated by cheap or otherwise iffy CD blanks

Try a different brand of CD at a few dollars more per pack to see if
it's reproducible with a different dye/substrate type on the blank.

Obviously, make sure the blank CD is clean and oil/dust free by wiping
with a dry cloth/clean tshirt etc before you try to record it.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2010
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs