Trying to create a platform for AMD SC520 board

  • Follow

Please Help!!!!!

I have an AMD SC520 Single Board computer with an Intel 82559 Ethernet
controller, 4 serial ports and an IDE port.   I am trying to build a headless
system with Windows CE 5.0.
My understanding is that the SC520 is very similar to a 586, so it should be
compatible with the included drivers. The board manufacturer did not provide
a BSP.  There doesn't seem to be any BSPs on the Microsoft Embedded site
either.

I started with a general Headless CEPC outline I have used before.  My
initial headless load was spitting out a message on COM1.   I have since
rebuilt the image and the message no longer appears????  I have no idea why.

I also tried to build a basic CEPC with video, mouse and keyboard thinking
that maybe I can poke around and see what is wrong.  The catalog items for
that build are shown below.  This build just brings me to a black screen as
well.

I need to get this running as soon as possible!!!!

The catalog items are:

Applications
   Help
   Terminal Emulator
   Word Pad

Apllications and Services
   C Libraries and Runtimes
      all

   Component Services
      minimal com
   XML
      MSXML 3.0
        XML Minimal Parser

Communication Services
   Networking - Local Area Network
      Wired Local Area Network
   Networking Features

      NDIS User-mode I/o
      Network Driver Architecture
	Network Utilities
 	TCP/IP
      Winsock Support

   Servers
      Core server support
      FTP Server
      Telnet Server
      Webserver

File Systems and Data Store
    Compression
    Database Support
    Hive Based Registry
    RAM and ROM File System
    Storage Manager
       CD/UDFS
       FAT File System
       Partition Driver
    System Password
Graphics
   Gradient Fill Support
International
    National Language Support
Internet Client Services
   Internet Explorer 6.0 for Windows CE
   Pocket Internet Explorer
Security
   Cryptography Services
Shell and User Interface
   Graphics
      Minimal GDI
      Minimal GWES
      Minimal Input
      Minimal Windows Manager Config
   Shell
      AYGSHell API
      Command Shell
         Command Processor
         Console Window
   User Interface
      Common Controls
         Common Control
      Common Dialog Support
      Control Panel Applets
      Mouse
      Network User Interface

Device Drivers
   Display
      VGA Linear Framebuffer
   Input Devices
      8042 Keyboard Mouse
   PC Card
      TI PC CArd
   PCI BUS

   Serial
      COM 16550
      COM CARD

   Storage Devices
      Storage Devices

E100ce.dll was added manually to the registry and the .BIB file

0
Reply Utf 7/1/2010 8:07:58 PM

You really need the debug output to find out what is going wrong.
It's best to start with one of the reference designs. Once the os is
running, you can add and remove components to furfill your needs.

I would try an image without hive based registry first. The hive based
registry can be a source of problems when it's not properly configured.

Another issue can be the comport settings in the platform bios setup. If you
are connected to the wrong connector you obiously won't see debug output.

Bios legacy usb support is also a source of problems. Make sure you disable
it and use a ps/2 mouse and keyboard to start with.

What method are you using to launch the os? Loadcepc or the biosloader?

"knk53" <knk53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>
> The catalog items are:
>
> Applications
>   Help
>   Terminal Emulator
>   Word Pad
>
> Apllications and Services
>   C Libraries and Runtimes
>      all
>
>   Component Services
>      minimal com
>   XML
>      MSXML 3.0
>        XML Minimal Parser
>
> Communication Services
>   Networking - Local Area Network
>      Wired Local Area Network
>   Networking Features
>
>      NDIS User-mode I/o
>      Network Driver Architecture
> Network Utilities
>  TCP/IP
>      Winsock Support
>
>   Servers
>      Core server support
>      FTP Server
>      Telnet Server
>      Webserver
>
> File Systems and Data Store
>    Compression
>    Database Support
>    Hive Based Registry
>    RAM and ROM File System
>    Storage Manager
>       CD/UDFS
>       FAT File System
>       Partition Driver
>    System Password
> Graphics
>   Gradient Fill Support
> International
>    National Language Support
> Internet Client Services
>   Internet Explorer 6.0 for Windows CE
>   Pocket Internet Explorer
> Security
>   Cryptography Services
> Shell and User Interface
>   Graphics
>      Minimal GDI
>      Minimal GWES
>      Minimal Input
>      Minimal Windows Manager Config
>   Shell
>      AYGSHell API
>      Command Shell
>         Command Processor
>         Console Window
>   User Interface
>      Common Controls
>         Common Control
>      Common Dialog Support
>      Control Panel Applets
>      Mouse
>      Network User Interface
>
> Device Drivers
>   Display
>      VGA Linear Framebuffer
>   Input Devices
>      8042 Keyboard Mouse
>   PC Card
>      TI PC CArd
>   PCI BUS
>
>   Serial
>      COM 16550
>      COM CARD
>
>   Storage Devices
>      Storage Devices
>

> E100ce.dll was added manually to the registry and the .BIB file

Reply obcd 7/2/2010 11:00:15 AM

I am trying to use LOADCEPC.   I was able to find an old Windows 3.0 support
kit for an AMD sc520.  They completely redid the bootloader.   I may have to
try a different board at this point.

Ken

"obcd" wrote:

> [...]
> >         Command Processor
> >         Console Window
> >   User Interface
> >      Common Controls
> >         Common Control
> >      Common Dialog Support
> >      Control Panel Applets
> >      Mouse
> >      Network User Interface
> >
> > Device Drivers
> >   Display
> >      VGA Linear Framebuffer
> >   Input Devices
> >      8042 Keyboard Mouse
> >   PC Card
> >      TI PC CArd
> >   PCI BUS
> >
> >   Serial
> >      COM 16550
> >      COM CARD
> >
> >   Storage Devices
> >      Storage Devices
> >

> > E100ce.dll was added manually to the registry and the .BIB file

0
Reply Utf 7/2/2010 12:38:38 PM

If you are in a hurry to get things running, you better find a board with a
bsp for windows ce so that you can concentrate on the application
development. If you still have a large amount of those boards in stock, it's
another story.

> [...]
>> >         Command Processor
>> >         Console Window
>> >   User Interface
>> >      Common Controls
>> >         Common Control
>> >      Common Dialog Support
>> >      Control Panel Applets
>> >      Mouse
>> >      Network User Interface
>> >
>> > Device Drivers
>> >   Display
>> >      VGA Linear Framebuffer
>> >   Input Devices
>> >      8042 Keyboard Mouse
>> >   PC Card
>> >      TI PC CArd
>> >   PCI BUS
>> >
>> >   Serial
>> >      COM 16550
>> >      COM CARD
>> >
>> >   Storage Devices
>> >      Storage Devices
>> >

>> > E100ce.dll was added manually to the registry and the .BIB file

0
Reply obcd 7/2/2010 3:31:35 PM

(page loaded in 0.077 seconds)

Reply: