Missing CD/DVD Drive

  • Follow

Hi,

I have an Acer machine running Vista Home Premium with SP2.  The machine is
now two years old has been working fine until recently.  I am finding that
the DVD drive does not appear in My Computer or Device Manager when the
machine is restarted after being in Sleep mode.  The drive can be restored by
doing a Shut Down.

I have found a few similar problems in this forum but the reports were not
exactly the same so I am reluctant to follow the suggested solution of
editing the Registry in case it does more harm than good.

Any ideas please?
0
Reply Utf 5/23/2010 2:53:01 PM

Graham

See the following

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"grahamt" <grahamt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Acer machine running Vista Home Premium with SP2.  The machine is
> now two years old has been working fine until recently.  I am finding that
> the DVD drive does not appear in My Computer or Device Manager when the
> machine is restarted after being in Sleep mode.  The drive can be restored by
> doing a Shut Down.
>
> I have found a few similar problems in this forum but the reports were not
> exactly the same so I am reluctant to follow the suggested solution of
> editing the Registry in case it does more harm than good.
>
> Any ideas please?

0
Reply Peter 5/24/2010 1:07:13 AM

Hi Peter

I've tried following the link, deleted the registry entries and checked for
newer drivers but it hasn't made any difference.  The machine still loses the
DVD drive if it is put into sleep mode.  It works correctly if it is put into
hibernate mode.

Any more ideas, please?

Graham.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Graham
>
> See the following
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "grahamt" <grahamt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an Acer machine running Vista Home Premium with SP2.  The machine is
> > now two years old has been working fine until recently.  I am finding that
> > the DVD drive does not appear in My Computer or Device Manager when the
> > machine is restarted after being in Sleep mode.  The drive can be restored by
> > doing a Shut Down.
> >
> > I have found a few similar problems in this forum but the reports were not
> > exactly the same so I am reluctant to follow the suggested solution of
> > editing the Registry in case it does more harm than good.
> >
> > Any ideas please?
>
> .

0
Reply Utf 5/24/2010 6:00:07 PM