SBS BPA 2008: WARNING: DNS name server records do not exists

Hey everyone

I get the following warning in SBS Best Practice Anaylser: "The DNS name
server records do not exists. The forward lookup zone DOMAIN.local does not
contain any DNS name server (NS) resource records with SERVER.DOMAIN.local
for the _msdcs delegation."

How can I fix this entry in dns-manager and what values do I have as
standard in this tree for an SBS 2008 Server?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Simon

0
Simon

"Simon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
> Hey everyone
>=20
> I get the following warning in SBS Best Practice Anaylser: "The DNS =
name=20
> server records do not exists. The forward lookup zone DOMAIN.local =
does not=20
> contain any DNS name server (NS) resource records with =
SERVER.DOMAIN.local=20
> for the _msdcs delegation."
>=20
> How can I fix this entry in dns-manager and what values do I have as=20
> standard in this tree for an SBS 2008 Server?
>=20
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>=20
> Simon
>=20

Open DNS, right click the grayed-out _msdcs folder under domain.local, =
choose properties. What nameserver is in the properties? It should be =
the server itself, server.domain.local.

If that is not in there, it could be a configuration issue causing it. =
To better help, post an ipconfig /all, and any event log err EventID# =
you see.

Thank you,

--=20
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and =
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit =
among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your =
resolution.

Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & =
MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, =
please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check =
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
0
Ace

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration headache!
Hi folks, Hoping someone can help me :( After spending yesterday prepping the source server- running both SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (and resolving all issues until they both came back clean), full backup, Migration Prep Tool, answer file etc I was finally ready to get going with the destination server today. I was very thorough with the documentation, taking it all step by step. All looked well, until it seemed to hang on what looked to be a final step. I don't recall getting the replication delay pop-up that I've seen m...

Only one record shows in input form
Good morning, I have created a database with Access 2003. I imported 17 records from Excel into the products table. When I open the input form to add new or correct the existing records, the input form sees only one of the 17 records. Can someone tell me why? If it will help to look at the database, I have uploaded it to: http://www.netstore02.com/db/ It is titled "trouble.mdb" Thank you for whatever help you can give me!! :>) Mary Hartman <MaryHartman@smallville.og> wrote in news:k5b1k35btmcn75o4n3nsolrt6ht6j3vlhl@4ax.com: > > Good morning, > > I h...

OWA setup on SBS 2003
Hi, I can't access OWA on an SBS 2003 server, for any user. Not sure what is stopping it - is it ISA settings? I've checked in Active Directory Users and Domains under the user and they are permitted to use OWA. Also tried to connect using Sever Activesync and a smart phone, but that failed too. Hope you can help. Neil Hi, Could be ISA server stopping OWA from functioning, could also be a lot of other things (like permisions on folders, web site etc). What happens when you try to access OWA? Leif "Neil G Jarman" <neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote in mes...

Project Accounting install v7 screws up existing companies!
It appears as though installing the Project Accounting tables in a new company screws up the "PA Users Master" (PA01501) and the "PA Users Class Master" (PA40401) by dropping and recreating them. Where in h*ll does it say it does this? How are you supposed to install PA to a new company without screwing up existing companies? The Project Accounting manual says that the PA Initialize Company utility resets settings for users in the PA User classes. I don't remember where I read about classes, but I read somewhere that you should not use the default PA user cla...

How to transfer/copy range names with a worksheet to a new Excel f
Hello: I have a large worksheet with about 200 named ranges. I would like to copy this worksheet and all the range names to other Excel files (workbooks). How do I do this? (When I copy the entire worksheet to another file, the range names do not transfer.) Thanks, in advance, for your help. I copy the worksheet in Excel 2007 with: 1) Right click on worksheet's tab, move or copy, new book, check make a copy. I get all of the names in the new workbook. 2) I select all of the cells in the worksheet by clicking on the area to the left of the column A header and above the row 1 hea...

Remove Exchange Server from Exchange Organization
Are there any "special" steps I need to take to remove an exchange server from an exchange organization One of our sites is moving to another site and we no longer need the exchange server in the organization, i.e. administative groups, routing groups. Once the server is decomissioned, do I need to do anything within System Manager to remove this particular server Thank you Lyda Lyda wrote: > Are there any "special" steps I need to take to remove an exchange server from an exchange organization? > > One of our sites is moving to another site and we no longer ...

Unable to add an e-mail address to an existing contact in Outlook 2003
When I try to add an address to one of my contacts it dissapears as soon as I enter it and tab to the next field. I've tried "enter" too. I've tried detect and repair, I've looked in newsgroups for a similar problem, but I'm not seeing it. Any help out there for this problem? Thanks, Eric Where are you trying to add it in the contact record? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Eric Feinstein <erc1@nospamhotmail.com> asked: | When I try to a...

User Name
Is there a formula to capture the current user's name (%username%) in a cell? I do not want to use any code that will ask the users to enable macro when they open the document. Thanks! xjvs Use a UDF Function UserName() UserName = Environ("UserName") End Function and use ina cell like this =UserName() -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct) "JVS" <sirera1@verizon.net> wrote in message news:ELi8h.2161$yV.987@trnddc07... > Is there a formula to capture the current user's name (%username%) in a &...

Tool available to install Exchange SP2 on SBS 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ffd2fe61-9278-489e-9b96-3816394c9cb6&displayLang=en Works great. Note you need to download and extract Exchange SP2 before running the tool. -- Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/ I hope I'm not the only one who read your post? I'll just post now even though I read this the day you posted. Thanks for the much needed info, Kerry Russ :) -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Microsoft Certifi...

How to change backend field name & update queries, forms, etc ?
I need to change the field names in a table in a split database. How can I do this and have the queries & forms in the Front End pickup the new field name? or must I redo all the forms & queries in the Front End? thanks for any help. Mel I use 3rd party software. http://www.speedferret.com/speedferret.html -- -Matt Microsoft Certified Professional "MyEmailList@gmail.com" wrote: > I need to change the field names in a table in a split database. > > How can I do this and have the queries & forms in the Front End pickup > the new field name? > >...

new version for 2008-2009
I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will there be a new version this summer? Only time will tell. I'm wondering if Money Plus wasn't called Money 2008 so they could break the annual cycle and not have the box label spoil the effect. "Don" <don@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message news:B7Sdndbr1ugVurrVnZ2dnUVZ_tXinZ2d@comcast.com... >I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will >stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will ...

Importing .txt data into existing spreadsheet without overlaying formulas
greetings - can anybody tell me how to import text data into an existing spreadsheet without overlaying formulas in some columns? (need to skip the overlay of those columns that just have formulas used in calculations from data in other columns) regards, booray I think I'd bring the txt file into a different workbook (using file|Open) and then copy from there into the real location. Then close the text file without saving. booray wrote: > > greetings - can anybody tell me how to import text data into an > existing spreadsheet without overlaying formulas in some columns? >...

Using a callback function name as an argument in a function
Hi. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong with this problem in my vc6 mfc sdi project, and tell me how to fix it? I understand the general meaning of the compiler's 2664 error message, but I don't understand what's wrong with my approach and how to fix it. The problem lies with argument 3 of lineInitializeEx() and/or the prototype and definition of lineCallbackFunc(). I used Class wizard to add the member function lineCallbackFunc() to my doc class. The function will be used as a callback function, by using it as the third argument in a call to lineInitializeEx() which I ...

I am unable to launch microsoft for mac 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this microsoft office setup assistant pop's up. Unlike the other users with this question i have tried following there instructions and register but the page wont load. I am a student and i depend on excel for school assignments and have been really annoyed with not being able to get this open. PLEASE help me. On 4/21/09 5:42 PM, "rachel_13@officeformac.com" <rachel_13@officeformac.com> wrote: > Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this micros...

Migrating AD Back to SBS
We had a domain which was working in a SBS2003 normally but since we had to change the hardware we added a second DC which is a windows 2008 and transferred all the roles to it, and let it working alone. Everything is fine now with the win2008 as a only Domain Controller We now have to reinstall back the SBS2003 and transfer everything to it from the win2008, is that possible? is there any how-to or best practices? As it seems that all i can do is start a new domain from scratch. Thanks, Chris There is an official MS document for adding SBS 2003 to a Server 2003 domain, but...

Change from SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 R2
Does anyone know if the license from Windows SBS 2003 works on R2 Edition? Here's my situation: I have an old server running Win SBS 2003. This is a new client and i just found the installation to be all screwed up (they are not even using Exchange, the domain is not .local, I cant find the SBS management panel, etc ) and barring any magic solution that allows me to improve on the current install, what i really want is to start from scratch, probably on different hardware (new server). So I whas thinking to my buttons: During reinstallation, can I now use the latest ver...

vc MFC 2008 DocView MFCTableCtrl
in vc 2008 environment i create a project which is muti-docview,when i open some file,the file show in the client area ,and also there some table name on the client header,I can get the MFCTableCtrl by GetMdiTab() ,but all i want is that i want to replace the tabctrl with my own defined tabCtrl. how can i do this.thanks very much. forgive for my poor english ... ...

SBS 2003 VPN Frustration!
Hi all, I hope someone here can help. I saw a similar post that someone here was able to solve so I'm pinning my hopes on that. Let me try and provide as much information as possible. SIMPLIFIED I'm trying to setup the software VPN on the SBS so that remote users can be connected in to the server (so they can use local Outlook Exchange, can access the shared data folders on the main office server, etc). Testing this setup on our own system, I can connect into the server using VPN but cannot access anything on the network. DETAILED 1. I ran the "Configure...

Migrating SBS 2003 to SBS 2008
I really appreciate your inputs regarding my dilemma and made me think to change course with this migration and obtain private IP's for our network instead of the public ones. I will need now to figure out where and how to start changing our IP's! and what is involved. Hope after changing to private IP's, the migration will run without any glitches. I'm keeping me fingers and toes crossed. If you have any suggestion or links on how or where to start to enable me changing IP's from public to private; then PLEASE let me know. Thank you for everything guys...

NT4 SBS to 2003 SBS
There's an old NT4 SBS server in place with Exchange 5.5, 10 users. A new 2003 SBS server has arrived. What's the best way to move everything to the new and shut down the old? I tried to make a trust relationship, but you can't do that with SBS 2003!. Should I use Outlook to log on as a user, copy all data to a .pst from the old Exchange 5.5, then make new users and mailboxes on the new server and copy from the .pst to the new 2003 mailbox? Only 10 users, 700MB in total. Thanks Neal. ...

GP 9.0 on SQL 2008
MBS has said GP 10 is supported on SQL Server 2008. However there is no information on support for GP 9.0 on SQL 2008. Does anyone have any real-world experience running GP 9.0 on SQL 2008 in a production environment? Thanks, John Dynamics GP 9.0 is not supported on Microsoft SQL Server 2008. This is an excerpt from the System Requirements page. Database Requirements: MSDE 2000 SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Workgroup Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (64-bit) SP 4 Microsoft SQL Serve...

query return a randomly selected subset of records
Hello, I want to retrieve 10% of the records in a table, but want them to also be randomly selected. In other words, I want to randomly subsample a group of records. Does anybody know how this can be done, either in SQL or VBA? Thank you very much. This question would have been more appropriate in the MS Access Queries NG. You can select the TOP 10 PERCENT of the records ordered by the RND() function like: SELECT TOP 10 PERCENT Rnd([OrderID]) AS Expr1, Orders.* FROM Orders ORDER BY Rnd([OrderID]); -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "BayDeltaDev" wrote: > Hello, &g...

SBS 2008 + terminal services.
Hi there, A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that would be well served by SBS 2008. They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work- related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would pretty much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc basis. I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users isn't ava...

Connecting to MS SQL Server 2008 Express
I am using a demo for RMS 2.0 and installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express. Using the Store Operations Administrator Configuration screen I am getting the following listed below when trying to connect. Any clues as to my problem would be greatly appreciated... Error #-2147217843 Login failed for user 'Mike' (Source: Microsoft OLE DB Providor for SQL Server) (SQL State: 42000) (NativeError: 18456) No Help file avaialbe You are tring to log into an SQL server with the SQL Authentication and the username Mike. This error would indicate the user Mike does not exist, does n...

2008 Server Remote Apps
Is anyone using 2008 Server RemoteApps for Great Plains yet? I'm looking for some tips and tricks on getting GP10 working as a remote app on 2008 Server. I have GP loaded and have been testing it out with various users. What is the best way to give each RemoteApp user their own dex.ini? or Is there a way to blank out the "Last User" in the login screen? Also, when you export a smartlist to Excel, it spins up the Excel loaded on the server. Is there a way to re-direct that to the local Excel or at least have the save destination set to the users local drive instead of the ...