XP Media Center Corrupt system

  • Follow

I have a laptop with XP Media Center.  When it does start, it tells me the
winlogon.exe is corrupt and shortly after that I get the BSOD with the usual
error message.

I got no disks with this.  Can I repair it with XP Pro disks?
0
Reply Utf 4/23/2010 5:06:02 PM

Do you mean running recovery console? If so, yes you should be able to boot
from the Pro disk and run that.

If you mean a repair install, probably not. Even though MCE is built on top
of Pro, it is still considered a separate OS and it wouldn't have all the MC
bits. My guess is, if it did work, you would end up with the MC part not
functioning.

You could reinstall with the Pro disc (assuming you have a valid key), but
you wouldn't have MCE any more.

What laptop do you have, many MFR's included a setup partition on the drive
when they didn't include the actual CD's.
--
James Wolf [MS-MVP]
Orlando, FL

"Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with XP Media Center.  When it does start, it tells me the
> winlogon.exe is corrupt and shortly after that I get the BSOD with the
> usual
> error message.
>
> I got no disks with this.  Can I repair it with XP Pro disks?

0
Reply Jaime 4/23/2010 7:40:00 PM

Can you do an F8 Safe Mode Boot?  If yes run try running check disk.
See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

"Jaime" <jaimelobo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you mean running recovery console? If so, yes you should be able to
> boot from the Pro disk and run that.
>
> If you mean a repair install, probably not. Even though MCE is built on
> top of Pro, it is still considered a separate OS and it wouldn't have all
> the MC bits. My guess is, if it did work, you would end up with the MC
> part not functioning.
>
> You could reinstall with the Pro disc (assuming you have a valid key), but
> you wouldn't have MCE any more.
>
> What laptop do you have, many MFR's included a setup partition on the
> drive when they didn't include the actual CD's.
> --
> James Wolf [MS-MVP]
> Orlando, FL
>

> "Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have a laptop with XP Media Center.  When it does start, it tells me
>> the
>> winlogon.exe is corrupt and shortly after that I get the BSOD with the
>> usual
>> error message.
>>
>> I got no disks with this.  Can I repair it with XP Pro disks?

0
Reply Curious 4/23/2010 8:56:26 PM

Try to boot in Safe mode.

"Fix Windows XP Logon"

Under Win XP Utilities.

http://www.dougknox.com/

regards,

S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]

"Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a laptop with XP Media Center.  When it does start, it tells me the
> winlogon.exe is corrupt and shortly after that I get the BSOD with the
> usual
> error message.
>
> I got no disks with this.  Can I repair it with XP Pro disks?

0
Reply S 4/25/2010 2:03:23 AM

(page loaded in 0.039 seconds)

Reply: