Service Pak 3 problems

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4334 running XP Media Center 2002.

About a week ago I began having blue screen errors and eventually BSOD. I
paid about $400 to retrieve my data, upgrade the hardisk to 360 from 120 and
put my data back on the new disk.

When I got home I began reinstalling all of my programs. Windows update was
doing its thing and then I lost sound on my Realtek High Def....then blue
screens began happening. I tried unstalling the (code 39) missing or corrupt
Audio drivers and reinstalling, to no avail.

 It took me about 6 hours of searching the web and I found a couple of
references to Service pak 3 causing problems with sound...something about an
"Audio Bus bridge", or something, microsoft forgot to include. There was a
comment from a tech a Microsoft saying they would no longer support this
"thing" (sorry PC knowledge is limited).

I uninstalled service pak 3 and immediately my blue screens stopped and the
sound came back on!

So here I sit with service pak 2 (which I've read leads to a 32% chance of
trojans/virus etc), which will no longer be supported after July.

My question? What to do?
windows.mediacenter 289 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Did you try MS UAA ?

 http://www.mediafire.com/?4ben9zlesng
MS UAA (for XP SP3):
http://couponmeister.com/blog/HD_Audio/KB835221.exe

regards,
S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]

"L.p" <Lp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4334 running XP Media Center 2002.
>
> About a week ago I began having blue screen errors and eventually BSOD. I
> paid about $400 to retrieve my data, upgrade the hardisk to 360 from 120
> and
> put my data back on the new disk.
>
> When I got home I began reinstalling all of my programs. Windows update
> was
> doing its thing and then I lost sound on my Realtek High Def....then blue
> screens began happening. I tried unstalling the (code 39) missing or
> corrupt
> Audio drivers and reinstalling, to no avail.
>
> It took me about 6 hours of searching the web and I found a couple of
> references to Service pak 3 causing problems with sound...something about
> an
> "Audio Bus bridge", or something, microsoft forgot to include. There was a
> comment from a tech a Microsoft saying they would no longer support this
> "thing" (sorry PC knowledge is limited).
>
> I uninstalled service pak 3 and immediately my blue screens stopped and
> the
> sound came back on!
>
> So here I sit with service pak 2 (which I've read leads to a 32% chance of
> trojans/virus etc), which will no longer be supported after July.
>
> My question? What to do?

> signature database 4909 (20100302) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4909 (20100302) __________

http://www.eset.com

getting reporting services web service to work
The error I am getting is 'The selected report is not ready for viewing. The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)'. There are lots of answers on the web and I have tried alot of them including obtaining extract space. The error I am getting is: " The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)". I am using using windows-authentication to the datasource, and I am wondering if I am not setting up the pass-through properly on the web-service.? Thus to correc...

sites and services servers
Hi I recently went into our AD site and services and noticed under servers there are about 4 servers that havent been online for months. Is it safe to just remove/delete them here? Also our licensing server is listing a dead server? Wondering why it never showed anything in event log. This is a 2003 sp2 server in a small domain with 2 other DCs Thanks Shem You need to perform a metadata cleanup. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736378(WS.10).aspx You can follow this article to change the licensing sever http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc...

Fix for file open/save problem
A recent Windows update has caused problems for many people in opening and saving files. See the following for possible solutions: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.application.errors&mid=ab8ee928-cf0d-416c-b961-b4c9eab1d1d7&sloc=en-us http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.powerpoint&mid=d2e4e27f-7e22-43ad-9626-be04808e221d&sloc=en-us http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&mid=1fe358b1-c8eb-4...

Problem with WMC for Win7 x64 -- live TV setup problem
When I try to setup WMC (Win7 x64) for live TV it goes through the region setting question, then the zip code, then when it goes to "configuring" it hangs. I got a tip to run "mcupdate.exe" from another forum to overcome the hanging. After is scans for channels it asks if ATSC digital is what I want (I do, for OTA TV)... then comes this dreaded screen: http://i49.tinypic.com/2qb5dac.jpg "TV setup has encountered a serious problem. Select Finish to exit, then try again. If this problem persists, restart Windows Media Center or the computer." I&...

CRM services (help!!!!)
I have CRM installed on a W2K3 SP1 box, member server The CRM was installed to have the accompanying services run under the Domain Admin acct. I know that in someway the authentication is tied into to AD, from doing some reading up on CRM. Can I switch the services to run under the 'Local System' acct. without any problems. Reason being is that I have some KDC event ID 11 errors showing on my DC, which state that there are duplicate SPN name associated with the server running the CRM, and with further research found that the SPN names for the server were also attached to the A...

Problems with Office 2004
All of a sudden I am having problems loading Office 2004 applications. When I try to load them it says "The Application (Word, Entourage, Excel, Power Point) quit unexpectedly." I am given the option of "close", "report" or "reopen". I have found I have to choose "reopen" at which time the I get the message "the application Excel quit unexpectedly after it was reopened". I can then "close" "Try Again" or "Report". If I say Try Again it finally opens. I have reported it and even deleted the programs ...

IE settings for MS CRM 3.0
I am unable to acces CRm through IE. I changed my computer. I was earlier set with a short cut to the CRM application. I am trying to access the same using IE. I enter my credentials. I get the blue screen saying ' Attempting to open Microsoft CRM. If the application does not load within a few seconds , click HERE. If you are asked if you want to close the currently open window, click yes. ' and automatically IE is closed before any thing comes up. 1. I have removed my pop blocker. 2. I have added the site as a trusted site. Are there any other IE settings to be made?...

Services don't start when server restarts.
The information store and MTA stacks services do not start when server is restarted. How do I fix this problem? Check your Event Veiwer, any errors? What are the associated event id #'s. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Micah Pokorney" <micah@primeadvantage.com> wrote in message news:137f01c3df7d$df537300$a501280a@phx.gbl... > The information store and MTA stacks services do not > start when server is restarted. How do I fix this > problem? ...

Saving Files Problem
I have been using Excel at work to do simple spreadsheets. When I wan to take some data home to enter, I saved this info on a 3.5 diskette When I try to open it at work I get a message that this file cannot b accesssed. I am using the same systems on both machines.( Excel 2000.) The message says " the file is either read-only or you may be trying t acess a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on i not responding" Any Suggestions -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Terry, Never work directly in Excel from/to a diskette. There are many documented ...

Compare Two Worksheets #3
Is there a way to have Excel compare two worksheets and highlight the differences (cell by cell) between the two worksheets? I use a commercial Add-in from Jim Cone called XLCompanion for this. It works super.............saved my bacon on several occasions. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jim" wrote: > Is there a way to have Excel compare two worksheets and highlight the > differences (cell by cell) between the two worksheets? ...

Resolution for the compatibility issue in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Products after Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is installed
------=_NextPart_0001_EC57D3FB Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Good afternoon, Microsoft has released a fix for the compatibility issue in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Products after Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is installed The Microsoft Dynamics Retail Development team has identified problems when Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows XP SP3 is installed. Running these service packs, without the below fix installed, may cause data loss in Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System or Microsoft Dynamics - Point of Sale datab...

Sending email problem in windows mail
I can receive email on my Comcast connection but I cannot send emails. Trouble shooting with Comcast indicate that the problem is not with Comcast. What can I do to fix the problem? Error number is 0x800CCC79. My email address is jpribesh@comcast.net. incoming POP3 server is mail.comcast.net. outgoing SMTP is SMTP.comcast.net. My operating system is Vista. Thanks John Pribesh You don't need to post your real e-mail address for the world to see, but you do need to post the error message,' Please post the error message in its entirety. You can left click on it...

MTA Service
Hello, we are having exchange 5.5 server, its hard drive fails. i have installed new server and restoed the backup but MTA service is not starting. other Exchange Dirtocory, IS sA is working anybody can suggest. regards "azam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >we are having exchange 5.5 server, its hard drive fails. i >have installed new server and restoed the backup but MTA >service is not starting. other Exchange Dirtocory, IS sA >is working anybody can suggest. >regards Check the application event log. There will be some ev...

Word as Email Editor #3
In order to use the Auto Signature function in outlook 97, we have had to disable the Word E-Mail Editor. We have found that this can be done through Tools | Options | Email or Tools | Use Word as the E-Mail Editor (in both instances, removing the tick out of the checkbox). However, the problem we are faced with is that everytime you resart a pc, the check boxes are again ticked and the auto signature doesn't work. Any Ideas??? ...

http virtual server #3
I know you love newbie type material, so here is one. I have exchange server 2003 and am having a problem with exchange virual server (http) In server management/exchange/protocols/http the virtual server has stopped after a planned reboot. I have right clicked and "start", but it sends me an error "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process--Facility: Win32, ID No: 80070020" What service is this referring to. This has to be something simple and I am not very experienced in exchange----help...........please? Are there any other web...

STANDARD TOOLBAR PROBLEM
The STANDARD toolbar on the email send screen sems to have a mind of its own. If I go to default, it comes back as it was with the next NEW EMAIL screen.. Any customized changes are lost as well. Right in the middle is this tolbar is a huge "open with adobe pdf" buton which makes me think that they have something to do with the problem. Anyhow, exactly where is this toolbar controled from? How do I permanently get rid of the adobe button? Somewhere in the registry? Thanks. you need to remove the adobe addin - http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040902.htm -- Di...

Reports Problem
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they have any work arounds: If I customize a report to show all transactions for a specific set of categories (deliberately chosen) then choose all types of transactions, I get ALL the transfers that are in the time period whether or not they are in the selected categories or not. I have to do select in come as type, then expense then transfers so I have three reports or I get ALL the transfers in the database that fall in the date range. Any suggestions? thanks, Brian W. In microsoft.public.money, Brian W wrote: >I am wonder...

Userform question #3
Is it possible? instead of having the x disabled on a userform to have it fire up a userform instead? Thanks Greg Look at QUeryCloser in help for a form. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Greg B" <laptopgb@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:d6242c$31e$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > Is it possible? > > instead of having the x disabled on a userform to have it fire up a userform > instead? > > Thanks > > Greg > > ...

Graphing Question #3
Greetings! I am trying to graph a set of data in 'XY (Scatter)' and am running into a problem I've never seen before. There are only seven values for 'X' - numbers 0 through 6. 'Y' is a set of percentages ranging from '0.00%' to '13.00%' I have about 7,000 of these pairs. When I graph this, I am not of seeing the six discreet bands of percentages that I would expect. For some reason, instead of graphing the 'X' value, it is graphing the order that the 'Y' value comes in the list. Instead of graphing: RATING INCREASE 4 ...

Problems Setting Delegate Permissions
I'm getting the following error message with Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. Does anyone know how to repair this? This occurs everytime I try to set Delegates for a user, or any user for that matter. I get to the point where I have assigned a user the permissions and when I click OK, I get the following: Microsoft Office Outlook The Delegates settings were not saved correctly. Unable to activate send-on-behalf-of list. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. Thanks for your help, Can you explain how your AD environment is setup. Singl...

Service Scheduling MS CRM
Guys There are some extremely knowledgeable people in here I am hoping some one can help me. Any help you can give me is appreciate. We will not mind paying for your help if you are a freelancer and would spend time getting this to work for us. We have an implementation of Microsoft CRM 3.0 and would like to use the Service Scheduling to help us run our fleet of buses. We have a fleet of 8 buses, 6 drivers and need to schedule them for a variety of jobs. Each bus has a capacity of 20, 30 or 50. The buses can be out of order and drivers can be on holiday or off sick. We want to able ...

Template problem
Folks I have a simple template class that is used to send classes across a network. It is very simple(see definition below). It compiles fine, however I cannot link it into my project, all the methods are showing as unresolved externals. i have tried to explictly link (adding the object to the link line), however it ignores the object saying it is there already. By the way I am using Visual C++ 6.0. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Peter template<class PACKET> class CSHWrapper { public: /* Generic ctor * */ CSHWrapper(); /* ctor which wil...

AOL #3
my son set up outlook on my laptop. now all my mail goes from my aol account to outlook. this is great when i am home and i have access to the laptop. however when i am in my office or out of town and i want to check my aol email account. it is empty. how do i still keep the mail in the aol account, so i can check my email from other computers thanks docnadler Put a checkmark to Leave a copy of message on the server in Outlook. Presuming it is Outlook 2003 Outlook\Tools\Email Accounts\Change\More Settings\Advanced -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others R...

64-bit MSVFW32.DLL problems
Hello, I am developing an VC++/MFC application - MP3 player. The 32-bit version, of the application, plays the MP3 files OK. But, with the 64-bit version, there is no sound. I downloaded uAMP (native 64-bit) MP3 player, and that programs plays the MP3 files OK. I am building the application using the MSVFW32.lib. Do I need to link with a different library, to hear the 64-bit MP3s? Environment: VC2008/MFC, Windows SDK, WinXP Pro (x64) TIA, -jc ...

POP connector
Hi, I'm a total newbee to Exchange! I've just installed SBS 2003 and configured the POP3 Connector in Exchange to retrieve mail messages from the POP mailbox to my Exchange mailbox. Everything works fine besides that all mail messages get the date from synhronization in stead of the actual mail message date. Can this be configured so the date of a mail message in the Exchange mailbox is the same as the actual date of the mail message in the POP mailbox? Thx, Dennieku On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:13:50 +0200, "Dennieku" <dennieku@hotmail.com> hired a team of monkey...