Server Error 550; Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78; Mail won't Send

  • Follow


My server error is a little different from everyone elses here so I thought I 
would post it.  My mail also receives and does not send.  My computer is 
brand new and came loaded by Dell with supposedly compatible McAfee.  When it 
expires I will load my subscription of Webroot Spysweeper Antivirus I used on 
my now dead XP machine.  I have separate firewall which is also Webroot and I 
know how to use Webroot stuff at least but it is not listed as compatible on 
the Microsoft Site.  I don't have a backup disk of McAfee and frankly Win 7 
has been a nightmare.  I suppose I will just have to experiment.  Lots of 
slighty older software is ragingly NOT Win 7 compatible, so I am stuck with 
Live Mail which doesn't work either.

It is comforting to know other people are having the same or similar 
problem, but shocking that there is no real acceptable solution-- Just do 
away with your virus ware and firewall?!  I've tried all the different SSL 
settings, but I will try again as there are apparently "two places" you have 
to worry about.  Meanwhile I am fortunate my ISP offers Webmail and that is 
where I am sending from for now, and I will keep trying with different 
strategies with the virus ware as I have changes coming up in that.

complete error msg (I have hidden my email with x's which displayed as the 
correct one):

Subject 'Testing my email'
Server Error: 550
Server Response: 550 5.1.8 <xxxx@acewb.com> Invalid address
Server: 'smtp.aceweb.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

0
Reply Utf 11/15/2009 8:38:01 PM

You've never been able to send since you bought your computer? The error 
message states the address (your email address) is invalid. Check 
Tools|Accounts (select your email account and click Properties). On the 
Servers tab, at the bottom, make sure the box for "My server requires 
authentication is checked. Then click the Settings button and select "Use 
same settings as my incoming mail server." Click OK, Apply, OK.

HTH

-- 
Patrick P.
www.boydcomputersvcs.com


"REMY" <REMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B0C121EF-3BA7-41AB-BC9A-21C6531081B7@microsoft.com...
>
> Subject 'Testing my email'
> Server Error: 550
> Server Response: 550 5.1.8 <xxxx@acewb.com> Invalid address
> Server: 'smtp.aceweb.com'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
> Protocol: SMTP
> Port: 25
> Secure(SSL): No
> 
0
Reply Patrick 11/15/2009 8:53:18 PM

See http://www.aceweb.net/support/email/outlook_6.html
It's written for Outlook Express, but the WLM settings are similar.

Do you have the My Server Requires Authentication checked as indicated?

The error you are getting means that your ISP doesn't recognize you as 
an authorized sender.

-- 

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us



"REMY" <REMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B0C121EF-3BA7-41AB-BC9A-21C6531081B7@microsoft.com...
> My server error is a little different from everyone elses here so I 
> thought I
> would post it.  My mail also receives and does not send.  My computer 
> is
> brand new and came loaded by Dell with supposedly compatible McAfee. 
> When it
> expires I will load my subscription of Webroot Spysweeper Antivirus I 
> used on
> my now dead XP machine.  I have separate firewall which is also 
> Webroot and I
> know how to use Webroot stuff at least but it is not listed as 
> compatible on
> the Microsoft Site.  I don't have a backup disk of McAfee and frankly 
> Win 7
> has been a nightmare.  I suppose I will just have to experiment.  Lots 
> of
> slighty older software is ragingly NOT Win 7 compatible, so I am stuck 
> with
> Live Mail which doesn't work either.
>
> It is comforting to know other people are having the same or similar
> problem, but shocking that there is no real acceptable solution-- Just 
> do
> away with your virus ware and firewall?!  I've tried all the different 
> SSL
> settings, but I will try again as there are apparently "two places" 
> you have
> to worry about.  Meanwhile I am fortunate my ISP offers Webmail and 
> that is
> where I am sending from for now, and I will keep trying with different
> strategies with the virus ware as I have changes coming up in that.
>
> complete error msg (I have hidden my email with x's which displayed as 
> the
> correct one):
>
> Subject 'Testing my email'
> Server Error: 550
> Server Response: 550 5.1.8 <xxxx@acewb.com> Invalid address
> Server: 'smtp.aceweb.com'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
> Protocol: SMTP
> Port: 25
> Secure(SSL): No
> 

0
Reply Michael 11/15/2009 9:18:08 PM

"REMY" <REMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B0C121EF-3BA7-41AB-BC9A-21C6531081B7@microsoft.com...
> My server error is a little different from everyone elses here so I 
> thought I would post it.  My mail also receives and does not send.  My 
> computer is brand new and came loaded by Dell with supposedly compatible 
> McAfee.  When it expires I will load my subscription of Webroot 
> Spysweeper Antivirus I used on my now dead XP machine.  I have separate 
> firewall which is also Webroot and I know how to use Webroot stuff at 
> least but it is not listed as compatible on the Microsoft Site.  I don't 
> have a backup disk of McAfee and frankly Win 7 has been a nightmare.  I 
> suppose I will just have to experiment.  Lots of slighty older software 
> is ragingly NOT Win 7 compatible, so I am stuck with Live Mail which 
> doesn't work either.
>
> It is comforting to know other people are having the same or similar 
> problem, but shocking that there is no real acceptable solution-- Just do 
> away with your virus ware and firewall?!  I've tried all the different 
> SSL settings, but I will try again as there are apparently "two places" 
> you have to worry about.  Meanwhile I am fortunate my ISP offers Webmail 
> and that is where I am sending from for now, and I will keep trying with 
> different strategies with the virus ware as I have changes coming up in 
> that.
>
> complete error msg (I have hidden my email with x's which displayed as 
> the correct one):
>
> Subject 'Testing my email'
> Server Error: 550
> Server Response: 550 5.1.8 <xxxx@acewb.com> Invalid address
> Server: 'smtp.aceweb.com'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
> Protocol: SMTP
> Port: 25
> Secure(SSL): No

At the risk of stating the obvious, the error message says that an address 
@acewb.com* is invalid, and RIPE reports no such domain. Your SMTP server 
is at aceweb.com*. Perhaps you should check that email address and try 
again.

* Only one 'e'
** Two 'e's
-- 
Noel 

0
Reply Ildhund 11/15/2009 9:20:31 PM

As another responder already advised you, there is a rather obvious
typo in your email address.

Incidentally, the free Microsoft antivirus and firewall are 100% =
compatible
with Windows 7, which is all I use. The other vendors may need some time
to make their products fully compatible.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen


"REMY" <REMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
news:B0C121EF-3BA7-41AB-BC9A-21C6531081B7@microsoft.com...
> My server error is a little different from everyone elses here so I =
thought I=20
> would post it.  My mail also receives and does not send.  My computer =
is=20
> brand new and came loaded by Dell with supposedly compatible McAfee.  =
When it=20
> expires I will load my subscription of Webroot Spysweeper Antivirus I =
used on=20
> my now dead XP machine.  I have separate firewall which is also =
Webroot and I=20
> know how to use Webroot stuff at least but it is not listed as =
compatible on=20
> the Microsoft Site.  I don't have a backup disk of McAfee and frankly =
Win 7=20
> has been a nightmare.  I suppose I will just have to experiment.  Lots =
of=20
> slighty older software is ragingly NOT Win 7 compatible, so I am stuck =
with=20
> Live Mail which doesn't work either.
>=20
> It is comforting to know other people are having the same or similar=20
> problem, but shocking that there is no real acceptable solution-- Just =
do=20
> away with your virus ware and firewall?!  I've tried all the different =
SSL=20
> settings, but I will try again as there are apparently "two places" =
you have=20
> to worry about.  Meanwhile I am fortunate my ISP offers Webmail and =
that is=20
> where I am sending from for now, and I will keep trying with different =

> strategies with the virus ware as I have changes coming up in that.
>=20
> complete error msg (I have hidden my email with x's which displayed as =
the=20
> correct one):
>=20
> Subject 'Testing my email'
> Server Error: 550
> Server Response: 550 5.1.8 <xxxx@acewb.com> Invalid address
> Server: 'smtp.aceweb.com'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
> Protocol: SMTP
> Port: 25
> Secure(SSL): No
>
0
Reply Gary 11/15/2009 11:27:57 PM


"REMY" <REMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0C121EF-3BA7-41AB-BC9A-21C6531081B7@microsoft.com...


> It is comforting to know other people are having the same or similar
> problem, but shocking that there is no real acceptable solution-- Just do
> away with your virus ware and firewall?!


You misrepresent a common suggestion by stating it that way.
And I'm not really sure what you're referring to by mentioning
firewall anyway.   Essentially the idea is to disable E-mail
scanning if that is enabled, not do anything else with your
AV, unless it is to replace it by something better.


---  


0
Reply Robert 11/16/2009 6:46:24 AM

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:38:01 -0800, REMY wrote:

> My server error is a little different from everyone elses here so I thought I 
> would post it.  My mail also receives and does not send.  My computer is 
> brand new and came loaded by Dell with supposedly compatible McAfee.  When it 
> expires I will load my subscription of Webroot Spysweeper Antivirus I used on 
> my now dead XP machine.  I have separate firewall which is also Webroot and I 
> know how to use Webroot stuff at least but it is not listed as compatible on 
> the Microsoft Site.  I don't have a backup disk of McAfee and frankly Win 7 
> has been a nightmare.  I suppose I will just have to experiment.  Lots of 
> slighty older software is ragingly NOT Win 7 compatible, so I am stuck with 
> Live Mail which doesn't work either.
> 
> It is comforting to know other people are having the same or similar 
> problem, but shocking that there is no real acceptable solution-- 

I just upgraded a computer from 32-bit Windows XP MCE 2005 to 64-bit Windows
7 Home Premium. Compatibility issues of some software have been dealt with:
Belkin Power Management load under compatibility mode; told Windows to load
it as "Windows XP; SP2". Family Treemaker is running as, "Windows 98/ME". A
couple of Netgear drivers (for print server and SAN disk) won't go in, but I
am still working on that. Otherwise, everything I have thrown at Windows 7
has worked.

> Just do away with your virus ware and firewall?!

Running the 64-bit version of Windows Security Essentials. Using the native
Windows 7 firewall behind a router.

> I've tried all the different SSL settings ...

Now we get to the heart of things ...

> ... but I will try again as there are apparently "two places" you have 
> to worry about.  Meanwhile I am fortunate my ISP offers Webmail and that is 
> where I am sending from for now, and I will keep trying with different 
> strategies with the virus ware as I have changes coming up in that.
> 
> complete error msg (I have hidden my email with x's which displayed as the 
> correct one):
> 
> Subject 'Testing my email'
> Server Error: 550
> Server Response: 550 5.1.8 <xxxx@acewb.com> Invalid address
> Server: 'smtp.aceweb.com'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
> Protocol: SMTP
> Port: 25
> Secure(SSL): No

Per the instructions here:

http://www.aceweb.net/support/email/outlook_6.html

No SSL required. Just check the, "My server requires authentication" box,
and make sure your User Name is your full aceweb.com email address.

-- 
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
0
Reply N 11/17/2009 12:48:11 AM


"Patrick Palczewski" wrote:

> You've never been able to send since you bought your computer? The error 
> message states the address (your email address) is invalid. Check 
> Tools|Accounts (select your email account and click Properties). On the 
> Servers tab, at the bottom, make sure the box for "My server requires 
> authentication is checked. Then click the Settings button and select "Use 
> same settings as my incoming mail server." Click OK, Apply, OK.
> 
> HTH
> 
> -- 
> Patrick P.
> www.boydcomputersvcs.com
> 
> 
> "REMY" <REMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:B0C121EF-3BA7-41AB-BC9A-21C6531081B7@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Subject 'Testing my email'
> > Server Error: 550
> > Server Response: 550 5.1.8 <xxxx@acewb.com> Invalid address
> > Server: 'smtp.aceweb.com'
> > Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
> > Protocol: SMTP
> > Port: 25
> > Secure(SSL): No
> > 
> .
> 
0
Reply Utf 9/11/2010 12:00:03 PM


"Patrick Palczewski" wrote:

> You've never been able to send since you bought your computer? The error 
> message states the address (your email address) is invalid. Check 
> Tools|Accounts (select your email account and click Properties). On the 
> Servers tab, at the bottom, make sure the box for "My server requires 
> authentication is checked. Then click the Settings button and select "Use 
> same settings as my incoming mail server." Click OK, Apply, OK.
> 
> HTH
> 
> -- 
> Patrick P.
> www.boydcomputersvcs.com
> 
> 
> "REMY" <REMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:B0C121EF-3BA7-41AB-BC9A-21C6531081B7@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Subject 'Testing my email'
> > Server Error: 550
> > Server Response: 550 5.1.8 <xxxx@acewb.com> Invalid address
> > Server: 'smtp.aceweb.com'
> > Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
> > Protocol: SMTP
> > Port: 25
> > Secure(SSL): No
> > 
> .
> Hi guys...I have the same error but instead of 550 I have 531, and I tried to do what u instructed Patrick but now a windows security logon box is appearing asking me for user name and password and after I write everything in the box but few seconds later is there again asking for username and password...and its going on and on...what did I do wrong?
0
Reply Utf 9/11/2010 12:04:03 PM

In the future, please start a new thread instead of hijacking one =
started by
someone else with a different error message.

When you get that repeated prompt for username and password, click =
Cancel,
which should then produce an error message. Right-click on your error =
message,
copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting =
without
the complete error message.

First, test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail.
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.

What type of mail account is it, POP, IMAP, or Live/Hotmail?

Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
------------------------------------------------------

"orangecami"  wrote in message =
news:D36C948E-63C8-4727-876A-FCEDA9E01DB6@microsoft.com...
> .
> Hi guys...I have the same error but instead of 550 I have 531, and I =
tried to do what u instructed Patrick but now a windows=20
> security logon box is appearing asking me for user name and password =
and after I write everything in the box but few seconds=20
> later is there again asking for username and password...and its going =
on and on...what did I do wrong?=20

0
Reply Gary 9/11/2010 5:45:12 PM

9 Replies
1588 Views

(page loaded in 0.428 seconds)

10/19/2014 3:35:16 AM


Reply: