sending a Word Document in body of Windows Live e-mail

  • Follow

I'm trying to send a Microsoft Word document in the body (not as an
attachment) of an e-mail. In the past, I used MS Outlook Express as my
default e-mail client, and while in MS Word editing a document, the send-to
button was active on the toolbar and I could just click that and the e-mail
message address bar, subject line, etc. populated the document and I could
obviously fill them out and send it off. Now I am using Windows Live Mail -
I've set it as my default mail client, but the send-to button in my MS Word
toolbar is not active when I add it, nor can I successfully go to file and
select send-to message recipient in the drop-down menu (it only lets me
send-to as an attachment). Anyone know if this is possible in WL Mail? I
liked it in order to achieve professional formatting for e-mail messages.
0
Reply Utf 12/14/2009 10:20:02 PM

As far as I know, that's not possible with WLM.

I'm guessing that has to do with the MAP dll that WLM uses.

I've noted on my XP PC that if OE is the default mail program, then Send
in the message body option is available in Word.  But simply making WLM
the default mail program, that option is disabled in Word, although the
send and attachment and for review options remain.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"bk3000" <bk3000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to send a Microsoft Word document in the body (not as an
> attachment) of an e-mail. In the past, I used MS Outlook Express as my
> default e-mail client, and while in MS Word editing a document, the
> send-to
> button was active on the toolbar and I could just click that and the
> e-mail
> message address bar, subject line, etc. populated the document and I
> could
> obviously fill them out and send it off. Now I am using Windows Live
> Mail -
> I've set it as my default mail client, but the send-to button in my MS
> Word
> toolbar is not active when I add it, nor can I successfully go to file
> and
> select send-to message recipient in the drop-down menu (it only lets
> me
> send-to as an attachment). Anyone know if this is possible in WL Mail?
> liked it in order to achieve professional formatting for e-mail
> messages.

0
Reply Michael 12/15/2009 10:35:45 PM

"bk3000" <bk3000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD2793C3-05D5-4286-AD2C-EB7F405A33E9@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to send a Microsoft Word document in the body (not as an
> attachment) of an e-mail. In the past, I used MS Outlook Express as my
> default e-mail client, and while in MS Word editing a document, the send-to
> button was active on the toolbar and I could just click that and the e-mail
> message address bar, subject line, etc. populated the document and I could
> obviously fill them out and send it off. Now I am using Windows Live Mail -

> I've set it as my default mail client, but the send-to button in my MS Word
> toolbar is not active when I add it, nor can I successfully go to file and
> select send-to message recipient in the drop-down menu (it only lets me
> send-to as an attachment). Anyone know if this is possible in WL Mail? I
> liked it in order to achieve professional formatting for e-mail messages.

On which OS?  FYI W7 users have a similar problem with IE's File, Send
Page by E-mail command.  So on W7 you could try re-registering WLMail
(which should re-register WLMail for the MailTo: protocol.)

0
Reply Robert 12/16/2009 1:27:33 AM

Still running XP here.

So I opened IE, and Send Page by e-mail does work just fine with WL Mail.
Trying to think if I've ever had the need to send a page by e-mail, but
that's another story.

But yeah, I've triple-checked that my URL:MailTo Protocol is set to WL Mail.

Once in a while, I think when I'm not signed into WL Mail, the button will
appear active in MS Word and MS Outlook will open if I try it. Guess just no
luck with WL Mail.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "bk3000" <bk3000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD2793C3-05D5-4286-AD2C-EB7F405A33E9@microsoft.com...
> > I'm trying to send a Microsoft Word document in the body (not as an
> > attachment) of an e-mail. In the past, I used MS Outlook Express as my
> > default e-mail client, and while in MS Word editing a document, the send-to
> > button was active on the toolbar and I could just click that and the e-mail
> > message address bar, subject line, etc. populated the document and I could
> > obviously fill them out and send it off. Now I am using Windows Live Mail -
>
> > I've set it as my default mail client, but the send-to button in my MS Word
> > toolbar is not active when I add it, nor can I successfully go to file and
> > select send-to message recipient in the drop-down menu (it only lets me
> > send-to as an attachment). Anyone know if this is possible in WL Mail? I
> > liked it in order to achieve professional formatting for e-mail messages.
>

> On which OS?  FYI W7 users have a similar problem with IE's File, Send
> Page by E-mail command.  So on W7 you could try re-registering WLMail
> (which should re-register WLMail for the MailTo: protocol.)

0
Reply Utf 12/16/2009 6:25:01 AM

The WLMail program does not have a sign in.  Are you referring to the Sign
in under the Close X?
That signs you in to Windows Live services such as Messenger, Calendar,
Contacts, .......
WLMail will open and send and receive email without being signed in to
Windows Live services.
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP-Mail

> Still running XP here.
>
> So I opened IE, and Send Page by e-mail does work just fine with WL Mail.
> Trying to think if I've ever had the need to send a page by e-mail, but
> that's another story.
>
> But yeah, I've triple-checked that my URL:MailTo Protocol is set to WL
> Mail.
>
> Once in a while, I think when I'm not signed into WL Mail, the button will
> appear active in MS Word and MS Outlook will open if I try it. Guess just
> no
> luck with WL Mail.

snipped

0
Reply Ron 12/16/2009 11:13:13 AM

"bk3000" <bk3000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739971BA-EFA4-4B4D-AA1A-190F8C52C740@microsoft.com...
> Still running XP here.
>
> So I opened IE, and Send Page by e-mail does work just fine with WL Mail.
> Trying to think if I've ever had the need to send a page by e-mail, but
> that's another story.
>
> But yeah, I've triple-checked that my URL:MailTo Protocol is set to WL Mail.
>
> Once in a while, I think when I'm not signed into WL Mail, the button will
> appear active in MS Word and MS Outlook will open if I try it. Guess just no
> luck with WL Mail.

I suspect Michael's guess about MAPI versus simple MAPI
is the right answer.  Can you configure Word to use simple MAPI
only?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200018

(Microsoft search for
    "simple mapi"
)

Oh.  You have both protocols available at the same time?
Why not try disabling the other one?  Then perhaps Word
would go down to the simpler one and thus pick WLMail's?

I actually have  OL2003 installed in XPsp3 here
so I suppose I could try this myself too or do you think
I would have to try it from Word (which I don't have installed)?

I suspect we will have to run ProcMon to figure out what
is really going on.   ; )

Good luck

Robert
---

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "bk3000" <bk3000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD2793C3-05D5-4286-AD2C-EB7F405A33E9@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm trying to send a Microsoft Word document in the body (not as an
>> > attachment) of an e-mail. In the past, I used MS Outlook Express as my
>> > default e-mail client, and while in MS Word editing a document, the send-to
>> > button was active on the toolbar and I could just click that and the e-mail
>> > message address bar, subject line, etc. populated the document and I could
>> > obviously fill them out and send it off. Now I am using Windows Live Mail -
>>
>> > I've set it as my default mail client, but the send-to button in my MS Word
>> > toolbar is not active when I add it, nor can I successfully go to file and
>> > select send-to message recipient in the drop-down menu (it only lets me
>> > send-to as an attachment). Anyone know if this is possible in WL Mail? I
>> > liked it in order to achieve professional formatting for e-mail messages.
>>

>> On which OS?  FYI W7 users have a similar problem with IE's File, Send
>> Page by E-mail command.  So on W7 you could try re-registering WLMail
>> (which should re-register WLMail for the MailTo: protocol.)

0
Reply Robert 12/16/2009 9:24:40 PM

(page loaded in 0.089 seconds)