pdf won't open in LiveMail

  • Follow

I cannot open pdf files in the Live Mail.  I get an error that says :  This
file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.
Please install a program or, if ones already installed, create an assoication
in the Default Programs control panel.

I have Adobe 9.3.
In the Default Programs control panel under Set Programs Access and Computer
Default, scrolling down to pdf it does show that this file extension is
associated with Adobe 9.3.

Why won't it open from the email ??
0
Reply Utf 5/4/2010 10:05:01 PM

Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Windows Mail or Windows Live
Mail
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/149/1/Unable-to-open-PPS-attachments-directly-from-Windows-Mail-in-Windows-Vista.html
--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

"dixieguy777" <dixieguy777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cannot open pdf files in the Live Mail.  I get an error that says :
>This
> file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
> action.
> Please install a program or, if ones already installed, create an
> assoication
> in the Default Programs control panel.
>
> I have Adobe 9.3.
> In the Default Programs control panel under Set Programs Access and
> Computer
> Default, scrolling down to pdf it does show that this file extension is
> associated with Adobe 9.3.
>
> Why won't it open from the email ??

0
Reply Bruce 5/5/2010 12:03:00 AM

On Tue, 4 May 2010 17:03:00 -0700, Bruce Hagen wrote:

> Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Windows Mail or Windows Live
> Mail

Um, '.pps' != '.pdf'.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Rats!

@"dixieguy777"

  1.     Download and save the attachment on the desktop.
  2.     Right click on the saved file.
  3.     Select: Open With from the pop-up menu.
  4.     Click: Choose [default] Program.
  5.     Select: Adobe Reader.
  6.     Check: Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.
  7.     Click OK.

--
           Bruce Hagen
         MS-MVP  [Mail]

"N. Miller" <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 4 May 2010 17:03:00 -0700, Bruce Hagen wrote:
>
>> Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Windows Mail or Windows
>> Live
>> Mail
>
> Um, '.pps' != '.pdf'.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

0
Reply Bruce 5/5/2010 12:35:13 AM

On Tue, 4 May 2010 15:05:01 -0700, dixieguy777 wrote:

> I cannot open pdf files in the Live Mail.  I get an error that says :  This
> file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.
> Please install a program or, if ones already installed, create an assoication
> in the Default Programs control panel.
>
> I have Adobe 9.3.
> In the Default Programs control panel under Set Programs Access and Computer
> Default, scrolling down to pdf it does show that this file extension is
> associated with Adobe 9.3.
>
> Why won't it open from the email ??

Could be a problem with file associations. I can find nothing in Windows
Live Mail to set which application is called for certain file types.
However, through the Control Panel, and the Set Associations window, I found
a list of file types, and associated programs. On my computer, .pdf is
associated with Adobe Reader 9.3. Check your control panel settings.

How to navigate there seems to depend up your OS, and I am working on a
computer with Windows 7, so it might differ from Windows XP (Windows Vista
not so much).

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
0
Reply N 5/5/2010 12:35:13 AM

Try this fix:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/236/1/Unable-to-open-PDF-attachment=
s-from-Windows-Mail.html

You didn't say which version of Windows you have, but unfortunately that
fix only works in Vista.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"dixieguy777" <dixieguy777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
>I cannot open pdf files in the Live Mail.  I get an error that says :  =
This=20
> file does not have a program associated with it for performing this =
action. =20
> Please install a program or, if ones already installed, create an =
assoication=20
> in the Default Programs control panel.
>=20
> I have Adobe 9.3. =20
> In the Default Programs control panel under Set Programs Access and =
Computer=20
> Default, scrolling down to pdf it does show that this file extension =
is=20
> associated with Adobe 9.3. =20
>=20
> Why won't it open from the email ??
0
Reply Gary 5/5/2010 1:55:02 AM

I have had similar issues with .pdf not working with WLMail.

Each time a quick fix sorted the problem by resetting WLMail as the default
e-mail program.

Go to Default programs in Control Panel. Then > Set program access and
computer defaults > expand Custom > under Choose a default e-mail program
select WLMail and then OK.

Try opening a .pdf attachment now from within WLMail.

Hope this helps.

Ian

0
Reply Ian 5/5/2010 9:22:19 AM

If the OP is using Win XP, he could also try the following:

Open Control Panel / Folder Options / File Types.  Scroll down
and select PDF.

The entry should say "Open with Adobe Reader 9.3".  If not,
change it to the correct program.

Then, click on Advanced.  Select the "open" command and click on
Edit.

The Application field should read -

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1"

(N.B.  Check that the file location is correct for your
computer - and include the quotation marks in the command line.
There is a space before "%1".)

The box marked "Use DDE" should be checked.

Save any changes.

"Ian Cockram" <iancockram@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I have had similar issues with .pdf not working with WLMail.
>
> Each time a quick fix sorted the problem by resetting WLMail as
> the default
> e-mail program.
>
> Go to Default programs in Control Panel. Then > Set program
> access and
> computer defaults > expand Custom > under Choose a default
> e-mail program
> select WLMail and then OK.
>
> Try opening a .pdf attachment now from within WLMail.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ian

0
Reply Bob 5/5/2010 5:46:35 PM

I'm having the same problem with .pdf and .eml attachments since I bought
this new computer with Win 7 Pro. Under Control Panel Set Default Programs
..eml is not listed as a file type; under Make a file type open with a
specific program WLM is not listed as a program. I get the same error message
with both file types when they are attached to emails.

"dixieguy777" wrote:

> I cannot open pdf files in the Live Mail.  I get an error that says :  This
> file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.
> Please install a program or, if ones already installed, create an assoication
> in the Default Programs control panel.
>
> I have Adobe 9.3.
> In the Default Programs control panel under Set Programs Access and Computer
> Default, scrolling down to pdf it does show that this file extension is
> associated with Adobe 9.3.
>
> Why won't it open from the email ??
0
Reply Utf 5/19/2010 12:03:01 AM

Was Windows Live Mail already installed when you purchased that new
PC? If so, the method the store used probably corrupted the install.
Uninstall Windows Live Mail ,then reinstall a fresh copy:

http://download.live.com/wlmail=20

"tincantom" <tincantom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
> I'm having the same problem with .pdf and .eml attachments since I =
bought=20
> this new computer with Win 7 Pro. Under Control Panel Set Default =
Programs=20
> .eml is not listed as a file type; under Make a file type open with a=20
> specific program WLM is not listed as a program. I get the same error =
message=20
> with both file types when they are attached to emails.
>=20
> "dixieguy777" wrote:
>=20
>> I cannot open pdf files in the Live Mail.  I get an error that says : =
 This=20
>> file does not have a program associated with it for performing this =
action. =20
>> Please install a program or, if ones already installed, create an =
assoication=20
>> in the Default Programs control panel.
>>=20
>> I have Adobe 9.3. =20
>> In the Default Programs control panel under Set Programs Access and =
Computer=20
>> Default, scrolling down to pdf it does show that this file extension =
is=20
>> associated with Adobe 9.3. =20
>>=20
>> Why won't it open from the email ??
0
Reply Gary 5/19/2010 1:33:00 AM

"tincantom" <tincantom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same problem with .pdf and .eml attachments since I bought
> this new computer with Win 7 Pro. Under Control Panel Set Default Programs
> .eml is not listed as a file type; under Make a file type open with a
> specific program WLM is not listed as a program. I get the same error
> message
> with both file types when they are attached to emails.

Can you drag those attachments to an open application which should otherwise
open them?

Also, it would be important to know whether WLMail is your default Mail
handler.   The original install doesn't always give it all its defaults it
seems; e.g. note the number of posters who can't use IE's File, Send
commands until a mail client is re-registered.   So if you had say, Outlook
installed and active as the default mail handler and it didn't support .eml
I wouldn't be surprised if that resulted in a related symptom.   Similarly
it would be important to know whether Acrobat as well as Acrobat Reader is
present in the problem scenario.  IIRC those two apps have been seen
fighting each other for control of the .pdf filetype association.   So maybe
you could be seeing something related to that?   Again, dragging an
attachment to a receptive app would probably be the simplest workaround in
either case and in any case would not be a problem in WLMail.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "dixieguy777" wrote:
>
>> I cannot open pdf files in the Live Mail.  I get an error that says :
>> This
>> file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
>> action.
>> Please install a program or, if ones already installed, create an
>> assoication
>> in the Default Programs control panel.
>>
>> I have Adobe 9.3.
>> In the Default Programs control panel under Set Programs Access and
>> Computer
>> Default, scrolling down to pdf it does show that this file extension is
>> associated with Adobe 9.3.
>>
>> Why won't it open from the email ??

0
Reply Robert 5/19/2010 11:39:55 AM

"dixieguy777" wrote:

> I cannot open pdf files in the Live Mail.  I get an error that says :  This
> file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.
> Please install a program or, if ones already installed, create an assoication
> in the Default Programs control panel.
>
> I have Adobe 9.3.
> In the Default Programs control panel under Set Programs Access and Computer
> Default, scrolling down to pdf it does show that this file extension is
> associated with Adobe 9.3.
>
> Why won't it open from the email ??
0
Reply Utf 5/25/2010 3:48:01 PM

"dixieguy777" wrote:

> I cannot open pdf files in the Live Mail.  I get an error that says :  This
> file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.
> Please install a program or, if ones already installed, create an assoication
> in the Default Programs control panel.
>
> I have Adobe 9.3.
> In the Default Programs control panel under Set Programs Access and Computer
> Default, scrolling down to pdf it does show that this file extension is
> associated with Adobe 9.3.
>
> Why won't it open from the email ??
0
Reply Utf 5/25/2010 3:50:05 PM