Missing Pictures and Attachments

  • Follow

My emails are missing pictures or attachments from one sender. If I open the
same email in outlook - everything is there and if I forward that e-mail from
outlook back  to myself and open the new one in Live Mail - the attachments
and pictures are there.  The sender is a contact and on the safe sender list.
 I have the "show images and external content sent from e-mail addresses in
my Safe Senders List" option checkmarked and Virus Protection is set to
Internet Zone and Junk email protection is set to Low.

What security settings do I need to change to get pictures and attachments
to download for a particular sender?
--
Dale Stubblefield
0

From Michael Santovec:

If messages are sent using the Exchange family of mail programs
(includes Windows Messaging or Outlook97/98/2000+) and the option to use
Rich Text Format is selected, it puts the RTF message (and any attached
files) in an attachment called WINMAIL.DAT (application/ms-tnef).  But
this attachment is useless to most other mail programs.  In some mail
programs (e.g. Outlook Express), the attachment won't even be visible.

The Exchange user can turn off the RTF option for messages to selected
recipients.  Note that if sending via an Exchange server, the Exchange
server administrator may be overriding the mail client settings.  In
this case, the administrator will need to make changes on the server.
In some cases, the Exchange server actually removes the attachments to
some recipients.

For additional information, see the MS-TNEF WINMAIL.DAT Attachments
section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm#ms-tnef
At the above link is information on several utilities that can be used
to recover the attachment if the sender can't or won't resend it in
plain text (or HTML) mode.
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail

"Dale Stubblefield" <DaleStubblefield@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C5541333-EF7D-4F97-AFDC-CBAB04D727D0@microsoft.com...
> My emails are missing pictures or attachments from one sender. If I open
> the
> same email in outlook - everything is there and if I forward that e-mail
> from
> outlook back  to myself and open the new one in Live Mail - the
> attachments
> and pictures are there.  The sender is a contact and on the safe sender
> list.
> I have the "show images and external content sent from e-mail addresses in
> my Safe Senders List" option checkmarked and Virus Protection is set to
> Internet Zone and Junk email protection is set to Low.
>
> What security settings do I need to change to get pictures and attachments
> to download for a particular sender?
> --
> Dale Stubblefield

0
Reply Ron 2/9/2010 1:08:37 PM

The link you gave is out-of-date.  The current link is
http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm#ms-tnef

The old link will still get redirected to the right page but not the
right spot on the page.  In the not too distant future the old link will
stop working completely.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

0
Reply Michael 2/9/2010 11:02:41 PM

--
Thanks for the update.
Ron Sommer

"Michael Santovec" <michael@santovec.XXX> wrote in message
> The link you gave is out-of-date.  The current link is
> http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm#ms-tnef
>
> The old link will still get redirected to the right page but not the right
> spot on the page.  In the not too distant future the old link will stop
> working completely.
>
> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>> From Michael Santovec:
>>
>> If messages are sent using the Exchange family of mail programs
>> (includes Windows Messaging or Outlook97/98/2000+) and the option to use
>> Rich Text Format is selected, it puts the RTF message (and any attached
>> files) in an attachment called WINMAIL.DAT (application/ms-tnef).  But
>> this attachment is useless to most other mail programs.  In some mail
>> programs (e.g. Outlook Express), the attachment won't even be visible.
>>
>> The Exchange user can turn off the RTF option for messages to selected
>> recipients.  Note that if sending via an Exchange server, the Exchange
>> server administrator may be overriding the mail client settings.  In
>> this case, the administrator will need to make changes on the server.
>> In some cases, the Exchange server actually removes the attachments to
>> some recipients.
>>
>> For additional information, see the MS-TNEF WINMAIL.DAT Attachments
>> section of
>> Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
>> http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm#ms-tnef
>> At the above link is information on several utilities that can be used
>> to recover the attachment if the sender can't or won't resend it in
>> plain text (or HTML) mode.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>> MS MVP- Windows Live Mail
>>
>> "Dale Stubblefield" <DaleStubblefield@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:C5541333-EF7D-4F97-AFDC-CBAB04D727D0@microsoft.com...
>>> My emails are missing pictures or attachments from one sender. If I open
>>> the
>>> same email in outlook - everything is there and if I forward that e-mail
>>> from
>>> outlook back  to myself and open the new one in Live Mail - the
>>> attachments
>>> and pictures are there.  The sender is a contact and on the safe sender
>>> list.
>>> I have the "show images and external content sent from e-mail addresses
>>> in
>>> my Safe Senders List" option checkmarked and Virus Protection is set to
>>> Internet Zone and Junk email protection is set to Low.
>>>
>>> What security settings do I need to change to get pictures and
>>> attachments
>>> to download for a particular sender?
>>> --
>>> Dale Stubblefield