Live Mail - smapi.dll - Windows 7

I'm an MS Access developer.
I've use VBA code to access Windows Live Mail.
In Vista the smapi.dll file worked for me.

In Windows 7 the smapi.dll file no longer works for me.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the smapi.dll files from
Vista to Windows 7?

More specifically, in Vista smapi.dll is located here: c:\program
files\windows live\mail\smapi.dll
In Windows 7 smapi.dll is located here: c:\program files (x86)\windows
live\mail\smapi.dll

In my VBA code I have the following...
'Declarations below:
'**************************
'   CONSTANT Declarations
'**************************
'

Global Const SUCCESS_SUCCESS = 0
Global Const MAPI_USER_ABORT = 1
Global Const MAPI_E_FAILURE = 2
Global Const MAPI_E_LOGIN_FAILURE = 3
Global Const MAPI_E_DISK_FULL = 4
Global Const MAPI_E_INSUFFICIENT_MEMORY = 5
Global Const MAPI_E_BLK_TOO_SMALL = 6
Global Const MAPI_E_TOO_MANY_SESSIONS = 8
Global Const MAPI_E_TOO_MANY_FILES = 9
Global Const MAPI_E_TOO_MANY_RECIPIENTS = 10
Global Const MAPI_E_ATTACHMENT_NOT_FOUND = 11
Global Const MAPI_E_ATTACHMENT_OPEN_FAILURE = 12
Global Const MAPI_E_ATTACHMENT_WRITE_FAILURE = 13
Global Const MAPI_E_UNKNOWN_RECIPIENT = 14
Global Const MAPI_E_BAD_RECIPTYPE = 15
Global Const MAPI_E_NO_MESSAGES = 16
Global Const MAPI_E_INVALID_MESSAGE = 17
Global Const MAPI_E_TEXT_TOO_LARGE = 18
Global Const MAPI_E_INVALID_SESSION = 19
Global Const MAPI_E_TYPE_NOT_SUPPORTED = 20
Global Const MAPI_E_AMBIGUOUS_RECIPIENT = 21
Global Const MAPI_E_MESSAGE_IN_USE = 22
Global Const MAPI_E_NETWORK_FAILURE = 23
Global Const MAPI_E_INVALID_EDITFIELDS = 24
Global Const MAPI_E_INVALID_RECIPS = 25
Global Const MAPI_E_NOT_SUPPORTED = 26

Global Const MAPI_E_NO_LIBRARY = 999
Global Const MAPI_E_INVALID_PARAMETER = 998

Global Const MAPI_ORIG = 0
Global Const MAPI_TO = 1
Global Const MAPI_CC = 2
Global Const MAPI_BCC = 3

Global Const MAPI_UNREAD = 1
Global Const MAPI_RECEIPT_REQUESTED = 2
Global Const MAPI_SENT = 4

'***********************
'   FLAG Declarations
'***********************

Global Const MAPI_LOGON_UI = &H1
Global Const MAPI_NEW_SESSION = &H2
Global Const MAPI_DIALOG = &H8
Global Const MAPI_UNREAD_ONLY = &H20
Global Const MAPI_ENVELOPE_ONLY = &H40
Global Const MAPI_PEEK = &H80
Global Const MAPI_GUARANTEE_FIFO = &H100
Global Const MAPI_BODY_AS_FILE = &H200
Global Const MAPI_AB_NOMODIFY = &H400
Global Const MAPI_SUPPRESS_ATTACH = &H800
Global Const MAPI_FORCE_DOWNLOAD = &H1000

Global Const MAPI_OLE = &H1
Global Const MAPI_OLE_STATIC = &H2

Type MAPIRecip
    Reserved As Long
    RecipClass As Long
    Name As String
    Address As String
    EIDSize As Long
    EntryID As Long 'Originally String
End Type

Type MAPIFileTag    'Not used at all now
    Reserved As Long
    TagLength As Long
    Tag() As Byte
    EncodingLength As Long
    Encoding() As Byte
End Type

Type MAPIFile
    Reserved As Long
    Flags As Long
    Position As Long
    pathname As String
    FileName As String
    FileType As Long 'Originally MAPIFileTag
End Type

Type MAPIMessage
    Reserved As Long
    Subject As String
    NoteText As String
    MessageType As String
    DateReceived As String
    ConversationID As String
    Flags As Long       ' Swapped with Originator
    Originator As Long  ' Swapped with Flags
    RecipCount As Long
    Recipients As Long
    FileCount As Long   ' Swapped with Files
    Files As Long       ' Swapped with Filecount
End Type

' send mail with windows live mail

Declare Function MAPISendMail Lib "c:\program files\windows
live\mail\smapi.dll" ( _
    ByVal Session As Long, _
    ByVal UIParam As Long, _
    Message As MAPIMessage, _
    ByVal Flags As Long, _
    ByVal Reserved As Long) As Long

Declare Function MAPISendMail64 Lib "c:\program files (x86)\windows
live\mail\smapi.dll" ( _
    ByVal Session As Long, _
    ByVal UIParam As Long, _
    Message As MAPIMessage, _
    ByVal Flags As Long, _
    ByVal Reserved As Long) As Long

Can I rename the function to MAPISendMail64?

Thanks,

Rick

0
rick
6/4/2010 1:12:08 AM
windows.live.mail.desktop 2738 articles. 6 followers. Follow

The API for WLM has not been made public..I don't recall any information available that would answer your question.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"rick allison" <allisonrja@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6C2BFAA4-60EF-4BE6-8808-F7652D26B6F4@microsoft.com...
> I'm an MS Access developer.
> I've use VBA code to access Windows Live Mail.
> In Vista the smapi.dll file worked for me.
>
> In Windows 7 the smapi.dll file no longer works for me.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a difference between the smapi.dll files from
> Vista to Windows 7?
>
> More specifically, in Vista smapi.dll is located here: c:\program
> files\windows live\mail\smapi.dll
> In Windows 7 smapi.dll is located here: c:\program files (x86)\windows
> live\mail\smapi.dll

0
winston
6/4/2010 2:42:08 AM
Why use the WLM version of that file directly? If you use the system's
mapi32.dll it will use the default mail client on the machine.

-geoff

"...winston"  wrote in message news:OY7Llg5ALHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

The API for WLM has not been made public..I don't recall any information
available that would answer your question.

--
  ...winston
  ms-mvp mail

"rick allison" <allisonrja@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm an MS Access developer.
> I've use VBA code to access Windows Live Mail.
> In Vista the smapi.dll file worked for me.
>
> In Windows 7 the smapi.dll file no longer works for me.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a difference between the smapi.dll files from
> Vista to Windows 7?
>
> More specifically, in Vista smapi.dll is located here: c:\program
> files\windows live\mail\smapi.dll
> In Windows 7 smapi.dll is located here: c:\program files (x86)\windows
> live\mail\smapi.dll

0
Geoff
6/4/2010 11:36:10 AM
The difference in file locations is because you are running a 32 bit
version of Vista and a 64 bit version of Win7.

On a 64 bit version of Windows, 32 bit applications get installed to
 c:\program files (x86)

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

> [...]
>    RecipCount As Long
>    Recipients As Long
>    FileCount As Long   ' Swapped with Files
>    Files As Long       ' Swapped with Filecount
> End Type
>

> ' send mail with windows live mail
>
> Declare Function MAPISendMail Lib "c:\program files\windows
> live\mail\smapi.dll" ( _
>    ByVal Session As Long, _
>    ByVal UIParam As Long, _
>    Message As MAPIMessage, _
>    ByVal Flags As Long, _
>    ByVal Reserved As Long) As Long
>
> Declare Function MAPISendMail64 Lib "c:\program files (x86)\windows
> live\mail\smapi.dll" ( _
>    ByVal Session As Long, _
>    ByVal UIParam As Long, _
>    Message As MAPIMessage, _
>    ByVal Flags As Long, _
>    ByVal Reserved As Long) As Long
>

> Can I rename the function to MAPISendMail64?

0
Michael
6/4/2010 9:12:21 PM
Oh no, no API.

I took the code I had for Outlook Express and used it.  I had to remove the
file attachment variable to make it work.

"...winston" <winstonmvp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The API for WLM has not been made public..I don't recall any information
> available that would answer your question.
>
> --
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> "rick allison" <allisonrja@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm an MS Access developer.
>> I've use VBA code to access Windows Live Mail.
>> In Vista the smapi.dll file worked for me.
>>
>> In Windows 7 the smapi.dll file no longer works for me.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a difference between the smapi.dll files
>> from Vista to Windows 7?
>>
>> More specifically, in Vista smapi.dll is located here: c:\program
>> files\windows live\mail\smapi.dll
>> In Windows 7 smapi.dll is located here: c:\program files (x86)\windows
>> live\mail\smapi.dll

0
rick
6/7/2010 4:15:59 PM
I want to force the use of WLM and not make the user have to use WLM as
their default mail system.  Many of my customers want to use Outlook as
their default mail system and I cannot programmatically turn off the warning
message about sending email from another program.  As far as I know, this
warning message cannot be turned of from Outlook like it can from WLM.

Rick

"Geoff Clark (MSFT)" <geoffcl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why use the WLM version of that file directly? If you use the system's
> mapi32.dll it will use the default mail client on the machine.
>
> -geoff
>
> "...winston"  wrote in message
>
> The API for WLM has not been made public..I don't recall any information
> available that would answer your question.
>
> --
>  ...winston
>  ms-mvp mail
>
> "rick allison" <allisonrja@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm an MS Access developer.
>> I've use VBA code to access Windows Live Mail.
>> In Vista the smapi.dll file worked for me.
>>
>> In Windows 7 the smapi.dll file no longer works for me.
>>
>> Does anyone know if there is a difference between the smapi.dll files
>> from Vista to Windows 7?
>>
>> More specifically, in Vista smapi.dll is located here: c:\program
>> files\windows live\mail\smapi.dll
>> In Windows 7 smapi.dll is located here: c:\program files (x86)\windows
>> live\mail\smapi.dll

0
rick
6/7/2010 4:17:54 PM
Update on what has happened.

I created another module in Access (WLM32in64) because I have to hard code
the folder in the function
Declare Function MAPISendMail Lib "c:\program files (x86)\windows
live\mail\smapi.dll" ( _
    ByVal Session As Long, _
    ByVal UIParam As Long, _
    Message As MAPIMessage, _
    ByVal Flags As Long, _
    ByVal Reserved As Long) As Long

When I did this it works.

What I've learned...
1) the function must be called MAPISendMail.
2) in Windows 7 the first and second attempt to send an email fail, the
third attempt succeeds.  This happens only on the first attempt to send an
email with windows live mail and the MAPISendMail function.  I have no idea
why.
Code to make sending mail work for the very first email sent.
MAPISendMail
If MAPIError then
    MAPISendMail
        if MAPIError then
            MAPISendMail - the email is sent on the third attempt.
        end if
end if

What's strange is this, in Vista MAPISendMail has to try twice  and in
Windows XP it works every time on the first attempt.
Remember, this is for the very first email being sent from MS Access upon
opening of the MS Access program.  Once the first email attempt is complete,
every email after that works on the first attempt.  No need to try two or
three times.  That's just plain weird to me.  But heck it works.

I hope this helps someone else.

If there is a better way to do this, I'm very interested.

Rick

"Michael Santovec" <michael@santovec.XXX> wrote in message
> [...]
>>    RecipCount As Long
>>    Recipients As Long
>>    FileCount As Long   ' Swapped with Files
>>    Files As Long       ' Swapped with Filecount
>> End Type
>>

>> ' send mail with windows live mail
>>
>> Declare Function MAPISendMail Lib "c:\program files\windows
>> live\mail\smapi.dll" ( _
>>    ByVal Session As Long, _
>>    ByVal UIParam As Long, _
>>    Message As MAPIMessage, _
>>    ByVal Flags As Long, _
>>    ByVal Reserved As Long) As Long
>>
>> Declare Function MAPISendMail64 Lib "c:\program files (x86)\windows
>> live\mail\smapi.dll" ( _
>>    ByVal Session As Long, _
>>    ByVal UIParam As Long, _
>>    Message As MAPIMessage, _
>>    ByVal Flags As Long, _
>>    ByVal Reserved As Long) As Long
>>

>> Can I rename the function to MAPISendMail64?

0
rick

mail forwarding #5
Hi, We have exchange 2003 installed with domain1.com, we sometimes get e-mail from help@extdomain.com for our address support@domain1.com. We want that all mail from help@extdomain.com is also forwarded to address@extdomain2.com. How can we do that (configuring in Outlook is not an option) extdomain.com and extdomain2.com are no domains of us I showed you two ways I think second way what you intent to do If you are getting e-mail from external address to one of your internal address and would like copy of this e-mail to go to another external e-mail address, you will need to create ...

animations live mail
My mail animations do not work in live mail. Is there a setting I am missing? I sent one out to myself and still no animation. Pat They will work after you send the message. Send one to yourself as a test. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Pat " <anyone@comcast.net> wrote in message news:ulRkClGyKHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > My mail animations do not work in live mail. Is there a setting I am > missing? > I sent one out to myself and still no animation. > > Pat Sorry. I missed that y...

Open mail
How do I program Outlook mail to receive mail automatically when I open the program. Thanks Richie <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I program Outlook mail to receive mail > automatically when I open the program. What's your version of Outlook? -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn't speak for me. >-----Original Message----- >Richie <anonymous@discussions.mi...

How to Mail Disable a Public Folder Exchange 2000
We have an Exchange 2000 Email Server, Each time a new Public folder gets created for one of our customers, it associates this customer with an email address, and tries to send email. Does anyone know a way to disable the "mail enable" feature in Exchange 2000 System Manager so, that each of the hundreds of public folders stop getting all these SPAM emails? Please help. -Mike When you created a PF, you have to specify is is mail enabled, otherwize it is NOT. if PF is mail enabled, make a right click and select disable mail oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu _________...

Live is live
http://gnspf.com/click/?s=174243&c=189831 ...

YAhoo mail configuration
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_006A_01CB3B60.87CB06C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Good morning Guys, I have issue with this application or with Yahoo. I started the use of this application about two week ago. I configured = two of my e-mail accounts on it, Gmail & Yahoo mail. The Gmail works = well but but couldn't send mail. That was resolved with a help I got = from the newsgroup. But my Yahoo mail has never worked properly. I've = not been able to downloa...

Problems getting symbols for MFC80(U)(D).DLL
Hi Folks, I've written many C/C++ applications that use DbgHelp to walk the stack and then turn those addresses into filename, lineNumber and symbol name information. This has worked just fine for Visual Studio 6.0, 7.0, 7.1 and for the most part for Visual Studio 8.0 (2005). However for VS8.0 whenever the address is in MFC80.DLL, MFC80U.DLL, MFC80D.DLL or MFC80UD.DLL I cannot get symbol information. I know the PDB files for the MFC are available - they have a slightly different name than usual (with a .i386 in the name to differentiate from the x64 platform PDBs of the same name)...

Outlook Live #3
I didn't find a Newsgroup specific to Outlook Live. Is this an appropriate place to post questions about this new product/service? Jeff Daly <jeff at dalydose dot com> wrote: > I didn't find a Newsgroup specific to Outlook Live. Is this an > appropriate place to post questions about this new product/service? Other are posting here or in m.p.outlook.general about MOOL, so sure, why not? -- Brian Tillman ...

Cannot send or receive mail
I keep getting the message that my username or password is incorrect. Problem exists on mobile and notebook. Internet is up. Comcast is the host. Please post the error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Max200g" <Max200g@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19F59EC1-BF62-4296-980B-52F4A239F36D@microsoft.com... >I keep getting the message that my username or password is inc...

How to format e-mail sent by workflow

what address do i use to inport yahoo mail to outlook?
i was able to import hotmail into outlook andnow recieve hotmail. i am now trying to import yahoo mail into outlook and not sure what url to use as address in wizard when asked. can anyone help. i am using windows xp In news:8C9B9830-4155-43EF-A904-B72CA62FEE0B@microsoft.com, jmspeiser <jmspeiser@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > i was able to import hotmail into outlook andnow recieve hotmail. i > am now trying to import yahoo mail into outlook and not sure what url > to use as address in wizard when asked. can anyone help. > i am using windows xp You have to pay Y...

mail merge in publisher using txt data source
I am trying to merge an excel data source to publisher including various formatting (letters, percentages, numbers). In this case: column 1 'name of firm', column 2 'sales', column 3 'profitability' etc. To preserve the formatting (decimals, % etc.), I saved the excel as a txt-file (using tab as separator). Problem! When merging, the tab does not work as a separator. Instead, it reads as if all the columns were one and the same and thus only one possible merge field appears per row with all the information (i.e. <firm sales prof...>). Using semi-colon (;) w...

Send Internal Mail Externally #2
I have a subsidiary that we connect to through a vpn tunnel. They are not a part of our Exchange organization. They use lotus notes for email. We are unable to telnet into their server and we believe that for some reason port 25 is being blocked internally. Is there any way to ensure that email to this subsidiary travels externally rather than internally? We are running Exchange 2003 sp2 on W2K3 server sp1. There is no lotus notes connector of any kind. All email directed to them is sitting in the queue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. CK Hello Chris, You can create an SMTP c...

live mail how do I insert time and date into message --- all -- every message a ez way to automatically insert time and date into live message
live mail how do I insert time and date into message --- all -- every message a ez way to automatically insert time and date into live message.... inventsomething at live dot com Greg ps how do I insert signature into a live mail message? Every email will have the time and date in the upper right corner - what do you mean exactly? The signature can be accomplished via Tools - Options - Signatures. You can have multiple signatures and assign them to specific email accounts, and, you can select which signature you want to apply on each email you compose - View ...

Can't send mail through Outlook Express
All of a sudden, I can't receive mail through Outlook express but, I can send mail. It worked 2 weeks ago. I get the error message: The connection to the server has failed. Account Name@comcast.net, Server: mail.comcast.net, Protocol: POP3, Port 110, Secure (SSL):No, Socket Error 10061. Error Number 0x00CCC0E Any help would be great on deciphering what this means. Perhaps your ISP has changed the name of the POP3 server that sends mail to you and your system is still using the old and now obsolete version. They may also have implemented the requirement for a password to acces...

Access email from another pc
I am using Live Mail for the email accounts linked to my websites. so they are not hotmail or live accounts, they are .com and .net. I want to be able to access my emails when using another pc, but when I sign in I'm told there are no messages. I have clicked the box to save messages on server until deleted. Does anyone have any ideas please? -- Rob By Live Mail, do you mean Windows Live Mail? Are the setup as pop3 accounts? What do you mean by sign in? Are you using Web access to the email server? -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "Ozsubasi" <Ozsubasi@discussi...

can't send e-mail in outlook 2000
I can receive e-mail in Outlook but can't send. I was getting the error message 0x800ccc0f (TCP/IP connection terminated). Then I disabled Norton Antivirus, and now I'm getting 0x800ccc0e (cannot connect to server). I'm not running any firewall software. Thanks Paula Hi, Sometimes, disabling Norton might not help. Try uninstalling Norton and see ifthat helps. Otherwise, it seems like a Port 25 SMTP block. So go ahead and then contact the ISP / MSP. Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN "Paula" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Help with mail merge
I'm trying to send letter to my costumers, im using mail merge, but have a problem, with the dates, when i do the mail merge thing i displays the dates as: 2/6/04 i want to see in it a different way something like feb/6/2004 (i see it like this in excel) but when i comes to word i see it like 2/6/04 can you help me -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com What is a costumer? Since this is more of a Word question see: http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/MergFram.htm for a possible solution -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Gaby_e7 >" <<Gaby_e7.16ix56@ex...

How to Automate Word mail merge from AC2007?
I'm trying to do a Word mail merge from Access 2007 -- populating a Word 2007 template with data from recordsets built off queries. The problem I'm having is the current code creates each letter as a separate Word doc. I need one big Word doc with page breaks between each letter. The code uses nested loops - the first recordset rst has the list of people, the second rstBkm has bookmark data. Question: How to get this code to create one Word doc with page breaks between letters rather than each letter in a separate Word Doc? Thanks in advance. [abbreviated code below] ...

Automatic mail retrieval w/Outlook 2003
Is it possible to have Outlook 2003 automatically check for new mail on startup? I'm on a home computer and just installed Office 2K3, but can't figure how to set OL2003 to check my email when I start it up. I have to manually hit the send/receive button. I see the option to automatically check when I shut down Outlook, but not when I start outlook. I'm on an always on cable connection, so I'm always connected when I run OL2K3. I figured since this option is in Outlook Express, it should also be in Outlook, but where? If you have a polling interval set in your Send/Recei...

How to switch from Outlook Express to Outlook fo re-mail?
I recently installed Outlook 2000 and would like to have Outlook handle all of the e-mail features. Can anyone advise how to accomplish this? -- "Work is for those people who don't know how to hunt or fish" >I recently installed Outlook 2000 and would like to have Outlook handle all >of the e-mail features. Can anyone advise how to accomplish this? What e-mail features do you think Outlook won't handle? -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the ...

Double mail sent
I've a problem, my server has mdaemon and sometimes when (only with a specified mail address) I sent 2 messages..... I think that using webmail I don't have this mail but only using Outlook Express Can you help me? Thanks Nobody Can help me? You have missed out a lot of vital information, such as which version of MDaemon you are using and how it is configured to operate. Is the problem with Outlook Express sending to MDaemon or Internet explorer send to MDaemon WorldClient or with MDaemon sending to your ISP? The obvious place to look at is the "Lists&qu...

live mail store
Hi can anyone help I transferred all my email message from live mail message store to a usb hard driv an now I want to transfer them back as i have gone over to Windows 7 live mailcan anyone show me how to do this please I get a message that there is no acssociation pleasecreate ne how do i do this I need to get access to my old emails thanks fred:confused: -- fpegman Are you saying that WLMail won't read eml files? Try dragging the eml files to an open WLMail folder. Have you tried File, Import, Messages? -- Ron Sommer MS MVP-Mail "fpegman" <gu...

Re: Any way to find and delete duplicate mail ??
As the messages are now individual files the new ones imported, or whatever happened to duplicate them, they should have an create date of when you imported them (maybe also the modified date). So go to explorer, sort on create date and block select all of that time and date and press delete. Then delete all the *.MSMessageStore files incl under backup folder. Next time you start Winmail it will rebuild from the mail that is left. You'll lose newsgroups subscriptions. You'll have to move folders around too so is not suitable for lots of folders. > "glawther" <gl...

EFT for Payables #7
Hi , Does the EFT for payable integrate with manual payment or edit payable check : e.g if i have a vendor that he is an EFT vendor can i create a manual payment or edit payables check to give him a prepayment Thanks, EFT for Payables integrates with edit payable check and would allow for a prepayment in the same manner that you would issue a check for prepayment. I haven't tried it. We do this occasionally in my office. I hadn't really thought about Manual Payment integrating with EFT but based on a cursory look, it doesn't appear to. Mark (DynamicAccounting.net) http://www....