inbox repeating

  • Follow

My friend uses Google mail as her server and accesses her emails via windows
live mail.
She had deleted many messages from her inbox (of live mail) but they have
all appeared again.
How can she permanently delete the messages she no longer wants?
Thank you.

0
Reply Stewart 8/12/2010 6:35:50 PM

This response from Bob Lucas should explains the details of using Gmail in Windows Live Mail
<qp>
Gmail stores every message in a single folder on the server - and
adds 'Labels' to individual messages.  Consequently, Gmail will
add the 'Inbox' label to new incoming messages - or the 'Sent
Mail' label to messages that you have sent.  'WLMail interprets
Gmail 'Labels' - and will display the messages locally in the
Gmail Inbox or Sent Mail folder, as the case may be.

If you select a message in WLMail and press 'delete', WLMail
merely removes all labels from the message.  Consequently, it
will disappear from view.  However, when you use your web browser
to sign into your Gmail account, you will discover that the
messages are still present on the server (in the 'All Mail'
section).  You can delete messages permanently via the webmail
interface.

If you want to use WLMail to delete a message from a Gmail
account, you should drag it into the Gmail 'Bin'.  Once a message
is in the 'Bin', Gmail will delete it automatically from the
server after 30 days.  Alternatively, you can use WLMail and
select messages that are in the 'Bin'.  Then, press delete.  Next
time you synchronize, WLMail will remove the messages from the
server.
</qp>

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Stewart"  wrote in message news:A2EF4A22-E336-426C-B000-4B3F36B90C39@microsoft.com...

My friend uses Google mail as her server and accesses her emails via windows
live mail.
She had deleted many messages from her inbox (of live mail) but they have
all appeared again.
How can she permanently delete the messages she no longer wants?
Thank you.
0
Reply winston 8/12/2010 6:59:47 PM

Just to add a point to Bob's excellent rundown: if you include All Mail in the IMAP folders to show, you'll see two of everything. All mail is just that - every message regardless of label, including 'deleted' ones.
--
Noel

"...winston"  wrote in message news:eIaRlGlOLHA.5732@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

[...]

Reply Ildhund 8/12/2010 7:30:13 PM

Thank you for the replies; I told her to go into her Gmail account as you
suggested but she has a very slow connection dial up connection and has not
done so yet.
I shall get her to follow your instructions.
Thanks again

"Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message
> Just to add a point to Bob's excellent rundown: if you include All Mail in
> the IMAP folders to show, you'll see two of everything. All mail is just
> that - every message regardless of

<snip>
<snip>

0
Reply Stewart 8/12/2010 9:42:16 PM

Since she is on dial up maybe better if she sets up gmail as a POP instead
IMAP. That way she will avoid all those extra email folders and have a just
regular folders

Bill

"Stewart" <anyone@supanet.com> wrote in message

> Thank you for the replies; I told her to go into her Gmail account as you
> suggested but she has a very slow connection dial up connection and has
> not done so yet.
> I shall get her to follow your instructions.
> Thanks again
>

> "Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message
>> Just to add a point to Bob's excellent rundown: if you include All Mail
>> in the IMAP folders to show, you'll see two of everything. All mail is
>> just that - every message regardless of
>
> <snip>
> <snip>

0
Reply Bill 8/13/2010 10:18:53 AM

I forgot to mention in order to do this she needs to log on to gmail through
her browser and turn on the POP setting. It does not affect IMAP settings so
she will have both options

Bill

"Bill" <someone@home.net> wrote in message
> Since she is on dial up maybe better if she sets up gmail as a POP instead
> IMAP. That way she will avoid all those extra email folders and have a
> just regular folders
>
> Bill
>
> "Stewart" <anyone@supanet.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Thank you for the replies; I told her to go into her Gmail account as you
>> suggested but she has a very slow connection dial up connection and has
>> not done so yet.
>> I shall get her to follow your instructions.
>> Thanks again
>>

>> "Ildhund" <jnllb@removemsn.com> wrote in message
>>> Just to add a point to Bob's excellent rundown: if you include All Mail
>>> in the IMAP folders to show, you'll see two of everything. All mail is
>>> just that - every message regardless of
>>
>> <snip>
>> <snip>

0