Error with receiving email from Charter.net

  • Follow

Have been using Windows Live Email for about a week, but suddenly stop
working  on Saturday with the following error.  To my knowledge. nothing on
the PC has changed

Unable to send or receive messages for the pop.charter.net account. The
connection to the server has failed.

Server: 'pop.charter.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10061
0
Reply Utf 3/15/2010 7:36:01 PM

10061 =  Connection refused

Could have been a temporary server problem.  I was just able to connect
using Telnet to that server.

If you still have problems, it could be your anti-virus scanning e-mail.

As long as your anti-virus software is set to scan files as they are
opened, scanning e-mail as it downloads or sends is unnecessary and
prone to problems.

With some anti-virus (and anti-spam) programs, simply disabling the
e-mail scanning function doesn't really disable it.  It simply tells the
program not to flag any messages.  It still processes all the messages
and may still cause send/receive failures.  What you may need to do is
uninstall the anti-virus program, then reinstall it using a custom
install option and unselect the e-mail scanning component for
installation.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have been using Windows Live Email for about a week, but suddenly stop
> working  on Saturday with the following error.  To my knowledge.
> nothing on
> the PC has changed
>
> Unable to send or receive messages for the pop.charter.net account.
> The
> connection to the server has failed.
>
> Server: 'pop.charter.net'
> Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
> Protocol: POP3
> Port: 110
> Secure(SSL): No
> Socket Error: 10061

0
Reply Michael 3/15/2010 8:15:55 PM

Thank you.  Once I reconfigured the antivirus software to not scan emails and
rebooted it worked fine

"Michael Santovec" wrote:

> 10061 =  Connection refused
>
> Could have been a temporary server problem.  I was just able to connect
> using Telnet to that server.
>
> If you still have problems, it could be your anti-virus scanning e-mail.
>
> As long as your anti-virus software is set to scan files as they are
> opened, scanning e-mail as it downloads or sends is unnecessary and
> prone to problems.
>
> With some anti-virus (and anti-spam) programs, simply disabling the
> e-mail scanning function doesn't really disable it.  It simply tells the
> program not to flag any messages.  It still processes all the messages
> and may still cause send/receive failures.  What you may need to do is
> uninstall the anti-virus program, then reinstall it using a custom
> install option and unselect the e-mail scanning component for
> installation.
>
> --
>
> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>

> "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Have been using Windows Live Email for about a week, but suddenly stop
> > working  on Saturday with the following error.  To my knowledge.
> > nothing on
> > the PC has changed
> >
> > Unable to send or receive messages for the pop.charter.net account.
> > The
> > connection to the server has failed.
> >
> > Server: 'pop.charter.net'
> > Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
> > Protocol: POP3
> > Port: 110
> > Secure(SSL): No
> > Socket Error: 10061
>

> .

0
Reply Utf 3/15/2010 10:05:01 PM

Amazing how that fixes the problem every time. You would thing the=20
antivirus vendors would learn to leave that 'feature' off by default.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> Thank you.  Once I reconfigured the antivirus software to not scan =
emails and=20
> rebooted it worked fine
>=20
>=20
> "Michael Santovec" wrote:
>=20
>> 10061 =3D  Connection refused
>>=20
>> Could have been a temporary server problem.  I was just able to =
connect=20
>> using Telnet to that server.
>>=20
>> If you still have problems, it could be your anti-virus scanning =
e-mail.
>>=20
>> As long as your anti-virus software is set to scan files as they are=20
>> opened, scanning e-mail as it downloads or sends is unnecessary and=20
>> prone to problems.
>>=20
>> With some anti-virus (and anti-spam) programs, simply disabling the=20
>> e-mail scanning function doesn't really disable it.  It simply tells =
the=20
>> program not to flag any messages.  It still processes all the =
messages=20
>> and may still cause send/receive failures.  What you may need to do =
is=20
>> uninstall the anti-virus program, then reinstall it using a custom=20
>> install option and unselect the e-mail scanning component for=20
>> installation.
>>=20
>> --=20
>>=20
>> Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message=20
>> > Have been using Windows Live Email for about a week, but suddenly =
stop
>> > working  on Saturday with the following error.  To my knowledge.=20
>> > nothing on
>> > the PC has changed
>> >
>> > Unable to send or receive messages for the pop.charter.net account. =

>> > The
>> > connection to the server has failed.
>> >
>> > Server: 'pop.charter.net'
>> > Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E