Scanner for Win 7 x64

  • Follow

Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May someone
suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7 x64.
Thanks for your suggestions.
--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

0
Reply Ilya 12/6/2009 4:12:33 PM

Ilya:
    I use the Epson Cx series all-in-one scanner/printer without any driver
issues. Looking at the Epson driver listing the V series scanners have x64
drivers available. Have a great day.
--
Dennis Pack
Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
"Ilya Zeldes" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May someone
> suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7 x64.
> Thanks for your suggestions.
> --
> Ilya Zeldes
> Fort Myers, Florida

> signature database 4664 (20091206) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4664 (20091206) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Reply Dennis 12/6/2009 4:31:22 PM

Depending on your overall requirements you might consider VueScan from
Hamrick, http://www.hamrick.com/

Check to see if your scanner is supported.  The software works well in
Win 7 x64 with my Epson Perfection 2580 for which Epson has never
published any 64-bit driver/software.

Ilya Zeldes wrote:
> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May
> someone suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7
> x64.
> Thanks for your suggestions.
0
Reply Bobby 12/6/2009 4:49:42 PM

Canon also has scanners that work with Windows 7 x64. You would have to
check which ones are inexpensive.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/windowsupport/win7page.html (look for the
products without the *)
http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDSupportWindows7Act

Mirko

"Ilya Zeldes" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May someone
> suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7 x64.
> Thanks for your suggestions.
> --
> Ilya Zeldes
> Fort Myers, Florida

0
Reply Mirko 12/6/2009 6:03:30 PM

Hi, Ilya.

If you tell us the make and model of your two scanners, there's a good
chance someone will recognize them - and may have already "reinvented the
wheel for you."  But if we don't know what you are using, all we can do is
shoot blindly in the dark - with very little chance that we will guess right
and do you any good.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May someone
> suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7 x64.
> Thanks for your suggestions.
> --
> Ilya Zeldes
> Fort Myers, Florida

0
Reply R 12/6/2009 6:13:15 PM

Have you checked the manufacturer web site for your two XP scanners for
availability of Windows 7 x64 drivers?

Don

"Ilya Zeldes" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May someone
> suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7 x64.
> Thanks for your suggestions.
> --
> Ilya Zeldes
> Fort Myers, Florida

0
Reply dgmacmi 12/6/2009 6:18:04 PM

Yes, both are not supported :-((

Ilya

"dgmacmi<>" <dgmmi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you checked the manufacturer web site for your two XP scanners for
> availability of Windows 7 x64 drivers?
>
> Don
>
> "Ilya Zeldes" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May someone
>> suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7 x64.
>> Thanks for your suggestions.
>> --
>> Ilya Zeldes
>> Fort Myers, Florida

0
Reply Ilya 12/6/2009 6:36:47 PM

Hi, R.C.,
since both my scanners are not supported (I've already checked on their
sites), I didn't mention them in the original post. But, as I've learned
from a previous occasion, you have power to make me think and change my
mind...
One is a Canon CanoScan FB 620P Parallel Flatbed Scanner. Another, a
Visioneer OneTouch 7100 USB Flatbed Scanner.
Any suggestions on how to get them work with Win 7?

Regards,

Ilya

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Ilya.
>
> If you tell us the make and model of your two scanners, there's a good
> chance someone will recognize them - and may have already "reinvented the
> wheel for you."  But if we don't know what you are using, all we can do is
> shoot blindly in the dark - with very little chance that we will guess
> right and do you any good.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Ilya Zeldes" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May someone
>> suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7 x64.
>> Thanks for your suggestions.
>> --
>> Ilya Zeldes
>> Fort Myers, Florida

0
Reply Ilya 12/6/2009 6:45:16 PM

Ilya Zeldes wrote:
> Hi, R.C.,
> since both my scanners are not supported (I've already checked on their
> sites), I didn't mention them in the original post. But, as I've learned
> from a previous occasion, you have power to make me think and change my
> mind...
> One is a Canon CanoScan FB 620P Parallel Flatbed Scanner. Another, a
> Visioneer OneTouch 7100 USB Flatbed Scanner.
> Any suggestions on how to get them work with Win 7?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ilya
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Ilya.
>>
>> If you tell us the make and model of your two scanners, there's a good
>> chance someone will recognize them - and may have already "reinvented
>> the wheel for you."  But if we don't know what you are using, all we
>> can do is shoot blindly in the dark - with very little chance that we
>> will guess right and do you any good.
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>>
>> "Ilya Zeldes" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May
>>> someone suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win
>>> 7 x64.
>>> Thanks for your suggestions.
>>> --
>>> Ilya Zeldes
>>> Fort Myers, Florida

0
Reply Bobby 12/6/2009 7:00:34 PM

Thanks, Bobby,
I tried to install VueScan, but, unfortunately, could not get it going.
Apparently, I need WIA driver, but could not find one... Contacted Ed for
solution...
Thanks again,
Ilya

"Bobby Johnson" <rjohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Depending on your overall requirements you might consider VueScan from
> Hamrick, http://www.hamrick.com/
>
> Check to see if your scanner is supported.  The software works well in Win
> 7 x64 with my Epson Perfection 2580 for which Epson has never published
> any 64-bit driver/software.
>

> Ilya Zeldes wrote:
>> Hi, R.C.,
>> since both my scanners are not supported (I've already checked on their
>> sites), I didn't mention them in the original post. But, as I've learned
>> from a previous occasion, you have power to make me think and change my
>> mind...
>> One is a Canon CanoScan FB 620P Parallel Flatbed Scanner. Another, a
>> Visioneer OneTouch 7100 USB Flatbed Scanner.
>> Any suggestions on how to get them work with Win 7?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ilya
>>
>> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, Ilya.
>>>
>>> If you tell us the make and model of your two scanners, there's a good
>>> chance someone will recognize them - and may have already "reinvented
>>> the wheel for you."  But if we don't know what you are using, all we can
>>> do is shoot blindly in the dark - with very little chance that we will
>>> guess right and do you any good.
>>>
>>> RC
>>> --
>>> R. C. White, CPA
>>> San Marcos, TX
>>> rc@grandecom.net
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>>> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>>>
>>> "Ilya Zeldes" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
Reply Ilya 12/6/2009 8:47:41 PM

Dennis,
thanks for your suggestion. I used Epson matrix printer for long time, but
then abandoned Epson and all of it products...

Ilya

"Dennis Pack" <dennispack@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ilya:
>    I use the Epson Cx series all-in-one scanner/printer without any driver
> issues. Looking at the Epson driver listing the V series scanners have x64
> drivers available. Have a great day.
> --
> Dennis Pack
> Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
> "Ilya Zeldes" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May someone
>> suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7 x64.
>> Thanks for your suggestions.
>> --
>> Ilya Zeldes
>> Fort Myers, Florida

>> signature database 4664 (20091206) __________

>> http://www.eset.com

> signature database 4664 (20091206) __________

> http://www.eset.com

0
Reply Ilya 12/6/2009 8:51:01 PM

 > Yes, both are not supported :-((

for the scanner using an USB connection,
a (short-term) solution could be
to create a VirtualPC 7 VM with Windows XP
and install the XP driver for your scanner.
VirtualPC 7 allows to 'attach' an USB device to a VM.
Then you can access the scanner in the XP VM
with whatever APIs (WIA, Twain...) you used before.

This works for my Epson Perfection 1200USB
and Windows 7 x64.

--
Thomas Scheidegger - 'NETMaster'
http://dnetmaster.net/

0
Reply Thomas 12/7/2009 7:19:18 PM

Yes, Don, look at the next message...

Ilya

"dgmacmi<>" <dgmmi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you checked the manufacturer web site for your two XP scanners for
> availability of Windows 7 x64 drivers?
>
> Don
>
> "Ilya Zeldes" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Since I moved to Win 7 x64, my two XP scanners do not work... May someone
>> suggest a not expensive and basic scanner compatible with Win 7 x64.
>> Thanks for your suggestions.
>> --
>> Ilya Zeldes
>> Fort Myers, Florida

0
Reply Ilya 12/7/2009 7:21:54 PM

Well, Thomas, I tried it in the first place, but Microsoft would not allow
it on my Windows 7 Home Premium machine...

Ilya

"Thomas Scheidegger" <spam.netmaster@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> > Yes, both are not supported :-((
>
> for the scanner using an USB connection,
> a (short-term) solution could be
> to create a VirtualPC 7 VM with Windows XP
> and install the XP driver for your scanner.
> VirtualPC 7 allows to 'attach' an USB device to a VM.
> Then you can access the scanner in the XP VM
> with whatever APIs (WIA, Twain...) you used before.
>
> This works for my Epson Perfection 1200USB
> and Windows 7 x64.
>

> --
> Thomas Scheidegger - 'NETMaster'
> http://dnetmaster.net/

0
Reply Ilya 12/8/2009 1:27:22 PM

If you have a copy of XP you could run that in Virtualbox
http://www.virtualbox.org/. Your Visioneer would attach by USB but you
would need a USB to parallel converter for the Canon which might not work.

VMware Player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ supports parallel
ports. You would also need EasyVMX http://www.easyvmx.com/ to create
your VMs.

On 08/12/2009 13:27, Ilya Zeldes wrote:
> Well, Thomas, I tried it in the first place, but Microsoft would not
> allow it on my Windows 7 Home Premium machine...
>
> Ilya
>
> "Thomas Scheidegger" <spam.netmaster@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> > Yes, both are not supported :-((
>>
>> for the scanner using an USB connection,
>> a (short-term) solution could be
>> to create a VirtualPC 7 VM with Windows XP
>> and install the XP driver for your scanner.
>> VirtualPC 7 allows to 'attach' an USB device to a VM.
>> Then you can access the scanner in the XP VM
>> with whatever APIs (WIA, Twain...) you used before.
>>
>> This works for my Epson Perfection 1200USB
>> and Windows 7 x64.
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Scheidegger - 'NETMaster'
>> http://dnetmaster.net/

0
Reply Dominic 12/8/2009 2:46:58 PM

Thanks for your suggestion. I downloaded the VirtualBox and started
installation, but in the middle got cold feet and cancelled... I think it's
to complicated for me...

Ilya

P.S. I may try it again later...

"Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> If you have a copy of XP you could run that in Virtualbox
> http://www.virtualbox.org/. Your Visioneer would attach by USB but you
> would need a USB to parallel converter for the Canon which might not work.
>
> VMware Player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ supports parallel
> ports. You would also need EasyVMX http://www.easyvmx.com/ to create your
> VMs.
>

> On 08/12/2009 13:27, Ilya Zeldes wrote:
>> Well, Thomas, I tried it in the first place, but Microsoft would not
>> allow it on my Windows 7 Home Premium machine...
>>
>> Ilya
>>
>> "Thomas Scheidegger" <spam.netmaster@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>>>
>>> for the scanner using an USB connection,
>>> a (short-term) solution could be
>>> to create a VirtualPC 7 VM with Windows XP
>>> and install the XP driver for your scanner.
>>> VirtualPC 7 allows to 'attach' an USB device to a VM.
>>> Then you can access the scanner in the XP VM
>>> with whatever APIs (WIA, Twain...) you used before.
>>>
>>> This works for my Epson Perfection 1200USB
>>> and Windows 7 x64.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thomas Scheidegger - 'NETMaster'
>>> http://dnetmaster.net/

0
Reply Ilya 12/10/2009 8:38:36 PM

Dominic,

in case you're familiar with a VirtualBox, may you please give me some
advice? You see, when I attempted to install it, the wizard asked to many
questions and I have to make choices without any understanding of what is
what...

Ilya

"Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> If you have a copy of XP you could run that in Virtualbox
> http://www.virtualbox.org/. Your Visioneer would attach by USB but you
> would need a USB to parallel converter for the Canon which might not work.
>
> VMware Player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ supports parallel
> ports. You would also need EasyVMX http://www.easyvmx.com/ to create your
> VMs.
>

> On 08/12/2009 13:27, Ilya Zeldes wrote:
>> Well, Thomas, I tried it in the first place, but Microsoft would not
>> allow it on my Windows 7 Home Premium machine...
>>
>> Ilya
>>
>> "Thomas Scheidegger" <spam.netmaster@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>>>
>>> for the scanner using an USB connection,
>>> a (short-term) solution could be
>>> to create a VirtualPC 7 VM with Windows XP
>>> and install the XP driver for your scanner.
>>> VirtualPC 7 allows to 'attach' an USB device to a VM.
>>> Then you can access the scanner in the XP VM
>>> with whatever APIs (WIA, Twain...) you used before.
>>>
>>> This works for my Epson Perfection 1200USB
>>> and Windows 7 x64.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thomas Scheidegger - 'NETMaster'
>>> http://dnetmaster.net/

0
Reply Ilya 12/12/2009 4:54:49 PM

It is some time since I installed and used Virtualbox, but if you accept
the default options you will have a working virtual machine.

Just make sure the size of the virtual disk is large enough for
everything you will want to install. As with any PC, you can change the
configuration later if it does not meet your needs, apart from the
maximum size of the virtual hard disk.

On 12/12/2009 16:54, Ilya Zeldes wrote:
> Dominic,
>
> in case you're familiar with a VirtualBox, may you please give me some
> advice? You see, when I attempted to install it, the wizard asked to
> many questions and I have to make choices without any understanding of
> what is what...
>
> Ilya
>
> "Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
>> If you have a copy of XP you could run that in Virtualbox
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/. Your Visioneer would attach by USB but you
>> would need a USB to parallel converter for the Canon which might not
>> work.
>>
>> VMware Player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ supports parallel
>> ports. You would also need EasyVMX http://www.easyvmx.com/ to create
>> your VMs.
>>

>> On 08/12/2009 13:27, Ilya Zeldes wrote:
>>> Well, Thomas, I tried it in the first place, but Microsoft would not
>>> allow it on my Windows 7 Home Premium machine...
>>>
>>> Ilya
>>>
>>> "Thomas Scheidegger" <spam.netmaster@swissonline.ch> wrote in message

0
Reply Dominic 12/12/2009 7:25:00 PM

Thanks, I have to try. Otherwise, I'll be deprived from a number of my
essential genealogy and other programs...

IZ

> It is some time since I installed and used Virtualbox, but if you accept
> the default options you will have a working virtual machine.
>
> Just make sure the size of the virtual disk is large enough for everything
> you will want to install. As with any PC, you can change the configuration
> later if it does not meet your needs, apart from the maximum size of the
> virtual hard disk.
>

> On 12/12/2009 16:54, Ilya Zeldes wrote:
>> Dominic,
>>
>> in case you're familiar with a VirtualBox, may you please give me some
>> advice? You see, when I attempted to install it, the wizard asked to
>> many questions and I have to make choices without any understanding of
>> what is what...
>>
>> Ilya
>>
>> "Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> If you have a copy of XP you could run that in Virtualbox
>>> http://www.virtualbox.org/. Your Visioneer would attach by USB but you
>>> would need a USB to parallel converter for the Canon which might not
>>> work.
>>>
>>> VMware Player http://www.vmware.com/products/player/ supports parallel
>>> ports. You would also need EasyVMX http://www.easyvmx.com/ to create
>>> your VMs.

0
Reply Ilya 12/13/2009 2:58:58 AM

On Dec 12, 8:58=A0pm, "Ilya Zeldes" <ilya...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I absolutely *love* my new CanoScan 5600F LED scanner.  It is probably
the *fastest* scanner I have ever owned, and it has LED lights
inside.  It 64-bit drivers are available for both Vista and Windows 7,
and I have used it under both.  The only drawback to the scanner is
that it is only 8.5 X 11, and does not do legal-sized documents.  It
only cost a bit more than $100.00.

Good luck!  :-)

Jim
0
Reply Jim 12/14/2009 12:49:40 PM

Thanks, Jim, I appreciate your advice.

Ilya

"Jim" <jmegas@cal.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
> On Dec 12, 8:58 pm, "Ilya Zeldes" <ilya...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I absolutely *love* my new CanoScan 5600F LED scanner.  It is probably
> the *fastest* scanner I have ever owned, and it has LED lights
> inside.  It 64-bit drivers are available for both Vista and Windows 7,
> and I have used it under both.  The only drawback to the scanner is
> that it is only 8.5 X 11, and does not do legal-sized documents.  It
> only cost a bit more than $100.00.
>
> Good luck!  :-)
>
> Jim

0
Reply Ilya 12/14/2009 10:30:53 PM

If you're inclined toward Epson, the Epson Perfection V500 Photo is in
the same class as the Canon and has drivers compatible with Windows 7
64-bit.

On 2009-12-14 17:30, Ilya Zeldes wrote:
> Thanks, Jim, I appreciate your advice.
>
> Ilya
>
> "Jim" <jmegas@cal.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
>> On Dec 12, 8:58 pm, "Ilya Zeldes" <ilya...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I absolutely *love* my new CanoScan 5600F LED scanner. It is probably
>> the *fastest* scanner I have ever owned, and it has LED lights
>> inside. It 64-bit drivers are available for both Vista and Windows 7,
>> and I have used it under both. The only drawback to the scanner is
>> that it is only 8.5 X 11, and does not do legal-sized documents. It
>> only cost a bit more than $100.00.
>>
>> Good luck! :-)
>>
>> Jim

0
Reply Bobby 12/14/2009 10:43:57 PM

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. I think, I will be able to solve my
problem now. I installed a VirtualBox and Windows XP in it. So, presumably
I'll be able to run my old scanner in it. Going to test it soon.

> If you're inclined toward Epson, the Epson Perfection V500 Photo is in the
> same class as the Canon and has drivers compatible with Windows 7 64-bit.
>

> On 2009-12-14 17:30, Ilya Zeldes wrote:
>> Thanks, Jim, I appreciate your advice.
>>
>> Ilya
>>
>> "Jim" <jmegas@cal.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
>>> On Dec 12, 8:58 pm, "Ilya Zeldes" <ilya...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I absolutely *love* my new CanoScan 5600F LED scanner. It is probably
>>> the *fastest* scanner I have ever owned, and it has LED lights
>>> inside. It 64-bit drivers are available for both Vista and Windows 7,
>>> and I have used it under both. The only drawback to the scanner is
>>> that it is only 8.5 X 11, and does not do legal-sized documents. It
>>> only cost a bit more than $100.00.
>>>
>>> Good luck! :-)
>>>
>>> Jim

0
Reply Ilya 12/15/2009 2:18:48 AM

If you can't get your old one working here is one I just ordered. $30
off untill the 17th and free shipping. Total cost $59.95. I downloaded
the Win7 64bit drivers from Epson. They have others on sale also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838110023

0
Reply Jim 12/15/2009 5:58:48 AM

I may found a better deal... An 3-in-one (scanner, printer and copier) for
$49.99... But I'll try the old one first...

Ilya

"Jim" <j_ayo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If you can't get your old one working here is one I just ordered. $30 off
> untill the 17th and free shipping. Total cost $59.95. I downloaded the
> Win7 64bit drivers from Epson. They have others on sale also.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838110023

0
Reply Ilya 12/15/2009 1:52:43 PM

On 12/15/2009 7:52 AM, Ilya Zeldes wrote:

> I may found a better deal... An 3-in-one (scanner, printer and copier)
> for $49.99... But I'll try the old one first...
>
> Ilya
>
> "Jim" <j_ayo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> If you can't get your old one working here is one I just ordered. $30
>> off untill the 17th and free shipping. Total cost $59.95. I downloaded
>> the Win7 64bit drivers from Epson. They have others on sale also.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838110023

I wish you luck.My new scanner arived today. Installed the driver and
software I had downloaded, pluged in the scanner and it works great.
Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit. Push the scan button and the software pops
up and check the options I may want to change and then scan. Has a copy
buton and software. Hit the copy button and again the copy screen pops
up and shows my printer and I can change the options and then it scans
and prints. A lot eaiser to use then my old scanner.

Jim
0
Reply Jim 12/16/2009 9:07:23 AM

(page loaded in 0.411 seconds)