memory.dmp

  • Follow

if windows crashes and memory gets dumped into memory.dmp, what can I as
a user do with this file? do I need it? can there be anything in there
that would help me to find out why windows is crashing? Using Wordpad,
after 1 minute, it seems like it has only opened 1%.
0
Reply rr 8/17/2010 10:44:40 PM

rr@nospam.edu wrote:
> if windows crashes and memory gets dumped into memory.dmp, what can I as
> a user do with this file? do I need it? can there be anything in there
> that would help me to find out why windows is crashing? Using Wordpad,
> after 1 minute, it seems like it has only opened 1%.

You need to use special tools to read these files, see here:

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263/en-us

John
0
Reply John 8/18/2010 12:36:02 PM

thanks for the link

John John - MVP wrote:
> rr@nospam.edu wrote:
>> if windows crashes and memory gets dumped into memory.dmp, what can I
>> as a user do with this file? do I need it? can there be anything in
>> there that would help me to find out why windows is crashing? Using
>> Wordpad, after 1 minute, it seems like it has only opened 1%.
>
> You need to use special tools to read these files, see here:
>
> How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging
>
> John
0
Reply rr 8/18/2010 11:43:35 PM

(page loaded in 0.052 seconds)