USB support.

Many of my programs communicate with equipment using serial COM port
interfaces or network TCP interfaces.

In the near future I will need to communicate with a new piece of
equipment that uses a USB interface. I don't know any specifics yet. I
don't know if there is a SDK for this piece of equipment.

How do I communicate with USB? Is there a library or a book anyone can
recommend? Any comments would be appreciated.
0
TomChapman
3/31/2010 3:10:01 PM
vc.mfc 33608 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"TomChapman" <TomChapman12@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Many of my programs communicate with equipment using serial COM port
> interfaces or network TCP interfaces.
>
> In the near future I will need to communicate with a new piece of
> equipment that uses a USB interface. I don't know any specifics yet. I
> don't know if there is a SDK for this piece of equipment.
>
> How do I communicate with USB? Is there a library or a book anyone can
> recommend? Any comments would be appreciated.

USB is quite complex compared to serial port and TCP due to the many
transfer modes (synchronous, asynchronous, isochronous) and Human Interface
Device (HID) profiles which vary according to the type of device you are
communicating with.  I believe the programming interface is through HID, so
you may want to start there.  That's all I know about it.

-- David

0
David
3/31/2010 3:50:44 PM
Sometimes those devices use a virtual COM, that is, a driver that converts
a USB port to a RS232 port and then it is used as one normal serial port.
Others that uses direct USB stuff, as David has said, normally offers a
DLL or a more easy way to work with. However each mfr. uses his own
approach. Some offers a DLL, some patches normal windows
CreateFile/ReadFile/WriteFile. But most common is use a DLL or a
USB-to-Serial driver.

--
Microsoft Visual C++ MVP => http://geeks.ms/blogs/rfog
No hay nada como la libertad, excepto una ca�a de cerveza un d�a de calor.

If you are working for the company that produces the equipment, be aware that they will
have to write a Device Driver tha communicates to this device.  This can be done as a
kernel-mode driver using KMDF, or a user-mode driver using UMDF, but the important part
here is that it must be design and written, which means if they have not already started
this, it ain't gonna happen in the "near future" for any conventional interpretation of
"near".  Otherwise, the device will come with a programming manual that describes how to
talk to it.  The fact that the communication to the device takes place over USB is
completely irrelevant to you, the application programmer.  And if it doesn't come with a
device driver, they have not delivered a "product", but what we traditionally call a
"paperweight".

I know a few device driver programmers who are USB experts (I don't count myself among
them) if you need assistance.
				joe

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:10:01 -0500, TomChapman <TomChapman12@gmail.com> wrote:

>Many of my programs communicate with equipment using serial COM port
>interfaces or network TCP interfaces.
>
>In the near future I will need to communicate with a new piece of
>equipment that uses a USB interface. I don't know any specifics yet. I
>don't know if there is a SDK for this piece of equipment.
>
>How do I communicate with USB? Is there a library or a book anyone can
>recommend? Any comments would be appreciated.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
4/2/2010 5:43:55 PM
If the device is created "HID-compliant", then there is no need to write a device driver,
the Microsoft HID driver will work.  This is rarely the case, and HID has certain
expectations about how the interaction works that means that not very many generic devices
are created HID-compliant.
				joe

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 08:50:44 -0700, "David Ching" <dc@remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:

>"TomChapman" <TomChapman12@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Many of my programs communicate with equipment using serial COM port
>> interfaces or network TCP interfaces.
>>
>> In the near future I will need to communicate with a new piece of
>> equipment that uses a USB interface. I don't know any specifics yet. I
>> don't know if there is a SDK for this piece of equipment.
>>
>> How do I communicate with USB? Is there a library or a book anyone can
>> recommend? Any comments would be appreciated.
>
>USB is quite complex compared to serial port and TCP due to the many
>transfer modes (synchronous, asynchronous, isochronous) and Human Interface
>Device (HID) profiles which vary according to the type of device you are
>communicating with.  I believe the programming interface is through HID, so
>you may want to start there.  That's all I know about it.
>
>-- David

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
4/2/2010 5:45:22 PM
It is a common misconcpetion that a simple DLL will supply the necessary connectivity to a
USB device.  This is not true.  Only a device driver (kernel or user mode) will work, and
these are complex beasts that require extremely careful design and implementation.

No "patches" to Windows are required. and "a DLL" won't do the job!
				joe

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:32:30 +0300, RFOG <no@mail.com> wrote:

>Sometimes those devices use a virtual COM, that is, a driver that converts
>a USB port to a RS232 port and then it is used as one normal serial port.
>Others that uses direct USB stuff, as David has said, normally offers a
>DLL or a more easy way to work with. However each mfr. uses his own
>approach. Some offers a DLL, some patches normal windows
>CreateFile/ReadFile/WriteFile. But most common is use a DLL or a
>USB-to-Serial driver.
>
>On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:10:01 +0300, TomChapman <TomChapman12@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Many of my programs communicate with equipment using serial COM port
>> interfaces or network TCP interfaces.
>>
>> In the near future I will need to communicate with a new piece of
>> equipment that uses a USB interface. I don't know any specifics yet. I
>> don't know if there is a SDK for this piece of equipment.
>>
>> How do I communicate with USB? Is there a library or a book anyone can
>> recommend? Any comments would be appreciated.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
4/2/2010 5:47:12 PM
Hi... What work/study path you recommend to become a good device driver
programmer ?

Thanks

"Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:

> You have not actually said what you mean by "USB interface".  For example, if the device
> comes with a USB cable to connected it, it MUST have a WIndows driver that connects to
> that device.  In which case, you will know the device name to open and you will open that
> device and use ReadFile and WriteFile to talk to it, in accordance with the interface
> specs.
>
> If you are working for the company that produces the equipment, be aware that they will
> have to write a Device Driver tha communicates to this device.  This can be done as a
> kernel-mode driver using KMDF, or a user-mode driver using UMDF, but the important part
> here is that it must be design and written, which means if they have not already started
> this, it ain't gonna happen in the "near future" for any conventional interpretation of
> "near".  Otherwise, the device will come with a programming manual that describes how to
> talk to it.  The fact that the communication to the device takes place over USB is
> completely irrelevant to you, the application programmer.  And if it doesn't come with a
> device driver, they have not delivered a "product", but what we traditionally call a
> "paperweight".
>
> I know a few device driver programmers who are USB experts (I don't count myself among
> them) if you need assistance.
> 				joe
>
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:10:01 -0500, TomChapman <TomChapman12@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Many of my programs communicate with equipment using serial COM port
> >interfaces or network TCP interfaces.
> >
> >In the near future I will need to communicate with a new piece of
> >equipment that uses a USB interface. I don't know any specifics yet. I
> >don't know if there is a SDK for this piece of equipment.
> >
> >How do I communicate with USB? Is there a library or a book anyone can
> >recommend? Any comments would be appreciated.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer@flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com
> .

Sigh!

Joseph: the MFR offers the DLL that interact with the driver that
interact with the hardware. Then the MFR ofers a DLL that does the job
(appart from a driver, of course).

Do you want a sample? Here:
http://www.heber.co.uk/downloads.php?page=3Ddownloads_xspin

The board only has a bootloader that waits the windows/linux driver to
inject the firmware.

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:47:12 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
<newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:

>It is a common misconcpetion that a simple DLL will supply the necessary=
 connectivity to a
>USB device.  This is not true.  Only a device driver (kernel or user =
mode) will work, and
>these are complex beasts that require extremely careful design and =
implementation.

>No "patches" to Windows are required. and "a DLL" won't do the job!
>				joe
>
>On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:32:30 +0300, RFOG <no@mail.com> wrote:
>
>>Sometimes those devices use a virtual COM, that is, a driver that =
converts =20
>>a USB port to a RS232 port and then it is used as one normal serial =
port. =20
>>Others that uses direct USB stuff, as David has said, normally offers a=
 =20
>>DLL or a more easy way to work with. However each mfr. uses his own =20
>>approach. Some offers a DLL, some patches normal windows =20
>>CreateFile/ReadFile/WriteFile. But most common is use a DLL or a =20
>>USB-to-Serial driver.
>>
>>On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:10:01 +0300, TomChapman <TomChapman12@gmail.com>=
 =20
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Many of my programs communicate with equipment using serial COM port =
=20
>>> interfaces or network TCP interfaces.
>>>
>>> In the near future I will need to communicate with a new piece of =20
>>> equipment that uses a USB interface. I don't know any specifics yet. =
I =20
>>> don't know if there is a SDK for this piece of equipment.
>>>
>>> How do I communicate with USB? Is there a library or a book anyone =
can =20
>>> recommend? Any comments would be appreciated.
>Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>email: newcomer@flounder.com
>Web: http://www.flounder.com
>MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
=FF=FEM
0
RFOG
4/2/2010 7:13:21 PM
And the company I work for offers some devices that uses the
USB-to-Serial from Windows Update (FTDI chips) and then we give a DLL
to the customers to ease the communication protocol.

<TomChapman12@gmail.com> =20

 I =20

>>Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>>email: newcomer@flounder.com
>>Web: http://www.flounder.com
>>MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
>=FF=FEM
=FF=FEM
0
RFOG
4/2/2010 7:48:23 PM
TomChapman wrote:
> Many of my programs communicate with equipment using serial COM port
> interfaces or network TCP interfaces.
>
> In the near future I will need to communicate with a new piece of
> equipment that uses a USB interface. I don't know any specifics yet. I
> don't know if there is a SDK for this piece of equipment.
>
> How do I communicate with USB? Is there a library or a book anyone can
> recommend? Any comments would be appreciated.

I use the FTDI device.
<http://lakeweb.net/MSP430>

I do believe you can set the EEPORM in the device so it looks like your
own when plugged in. But I haven't gone there yet so can't comment further.

There is also an 8051 based device that is very popular. TI uses it on
their development boards. I think it comes with an SDK with most of the
stuff done.

With the FTDI device you get the DLLs for the box side and don't have to
reinvent that wheel.

The USB market has come a long way in the last few years. Everyone seems
to be building the interface into their products.

<http://focus.ti.com/mcu/docs/mcuorphan.tsp?contentId=65684>

There is no good reason to write your own drivers anymore.

Best, Dan.
0
DanB
4/2/2010 9:18:36 PM
It is not uncommon that a manufacture will smooth over the ugliness of the low-level API
interface by providing a library (most commonly as a DLL), but the key here is that the
DLL is not the device driver; it is an INTERFACE to the device driver!

In my driver course, I describe to my students how to trade off the coding decisions
between what has to go into the driver and what can move up to the DLL, and how the
engineering decisions are made as to where code should go.

But without the actual device driver, the DLL cannot do anything.  Unless the device is
designed to be HID-compliant, in which case the DLL disguises the ugliness of the
interface details (for example, the use of DeviceIoControl is reasonably ugly to explain
to application programmers.  Note that the serial port driver does NOT implment APIs such
as GetCommState, SetCommTimeouts, etc.; these are APIs that appear in a DLL (I forget
which one) that generate reasonably ugly DeviceIoControl calls to the actual device
driver, which has to support something like 44 different IOCTL codes for DeviceIoControl.
					joe

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:13:21 +0200, RFOG <no@mail.com> wrote:

>Sigh!
>
>Joseph: the MFR offers the DLL that interact with the driver that
>interact with the hardware. Then the MFR ofers a DLL that does the job
>(appart from a driver, of course).
>
>Do you want a sample? Here:
>http://www.heber.co.uk/downloads.php?page=downloads_xspin
****
It sounds like this is a HID-compliant device because it has to do with gaming.  Or this
is a library for interfacing to generic HID-compliant devices.  In this case, Microsoft
has written the device driver, and you are using a library that intefaces to it.
				joe
****

>The board only has a bootloader that waits the windows/linux driver to
>inject the firmware.
>

>On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:47:12 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
><newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:
>
>>It is a common misconcpetion that a simple DLL will supply the necessary connectivity to a
>>USB device.  This is not true.  Only a device driver (kernel or user mode) will work, and
>>these are complex beasts that require extremely careful design and implementation.
>>
>>No "patches" to Windows are required. and "a DLL" won't do the job!
>>				joe
>>
>>On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:32:30 +0300, RFOG <no@mail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Sometimes those devices use a virtual COM, that is, a driver that converts
>>>a USB port to a RS232 port and then it is used as one normal serial port.
>>>Others that uses direct USB stuff, as David has said, normally offers a
>>>DLL or a more easy way to work with. However each mfr. uses his own
>>>approach. Some offers a DLL, some patches normal windows
>>>CreateFile/ReadFile/WriteFile. But most common is use a DLL or a
>>>USB-to-Serial driver.

>>Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>>email: newcomer@flounder.com
>>Web: http://www.flounder.com
>>MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm
>��M
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
4/3/2010 10:26:38 PM
[shameless plug: I teach a device driver course through www.traininghott.com and it is a
starting point.  After that, it gets more complex.  OSR (www.osr.com) offers advanced
courses and USB-based courses (ours concentrates on PCI cards).   Their file system driver
course requires a ton of experience writing device drivers (they cover our entire 1-week
course as a "refresher" on Monday.  Then it gets REALLY hard)]  Buy their sample USB
board, and download their driver source and study it. (They sell the boards at cost).

[second shameless plug: Dekker & Newcomer, Developing Windows NT Device Drivers
(Addison-Wesley)]  In addition, Walter Oney's books from Microsoft Press, Tony Mason and
Peter Viscarola's book [purchasable from www.osr.com], the new Microsoft Press book on the
Kernel Mode Driver Foundation. ]

Subscribe to the OSR newsletter (it's frree!).  Lurk on the OSR newsgroups (like ntdev).
					joe

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:35:01 -0700, nexolite <nexolite@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi... What work/study path you recommend to become a good device driver
>programmer ?
>
>Thanks
>
>"Joseph M. Newcomer" wrote:
>
>> You have not actually said what you mean by "USB interface".  For example, if the device
>> comes with a USB cable to connected it, it MUST have a WIndows driver that connects to
>> that device.  In which case, you will know the device name to open and you will open that
>> device and use ReadFile and WriteFile to talk to it, in accordance with the interface
>> specs.
>>
>> If you are working for the company that produces the equipment, be aware that they will
>> have to write a Device Driver tha communicates to this device.  This can be done as a
>> kernel-mode driver using KMDF, or a user-mode driver using UMDF, but the important part
>> here is that it must be design and written, which means if they have not already started
>> this, it ain't gonna happen in the "near future" for any conventional interpretation of
>> "near".  Otherwise, the device will come with a programming manual that describes how to
>> talk to it.  The fact that the communication to the device takes place over USB is
>> completely irrelevant to you, the application programmer.  And if it doesn't come with a
>> device driver, they have not delivered a "product", but what we traditionally call a
>> "paperweight".
>>
>> I know a few device driver programmers who are USB experts (I don't count myself among
>> them) if you need assistance.
>> 				joe
>>
>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:10:01 -0500, TomChapman <TomChapman12@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Many of my programs communicate with equipment using serial COM port
>> >interfaces or network TCP interfaces.
>> >
>> >In the near future I will need to communicate with a new piece of
>> >equipment that uses a USB interface. I don't know any specifics yet. I
>> >don't know if there is a SDK for this piece of equipment.
>> >
>> >How do I communicate with USB? Is there a library or a book anyone can
>> >recommend? Any comments would be appreciated.
>> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
>> email: newcomer@flounder.com
>> Web: http://www.flounder.com
>> .

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer@flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
Joseph
4/3/2010 10:33:46 PM
I know.=20

As always, thanks for the aclaration! :-)

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:26:38 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
> [...]

>is a library for interfacing to generic HID-compliant devices.  In this =
case, Microsoft
>has written the device driver, and you are using a library that =
intefaces to it.
>				joe
>****
>>
>>The board only has a bootloader that waits the windows/linux driver to
>>inject the firmware.
>>

>>On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 12:47:12 -0500, Joseph M. Newcomer
>><newcomer@flounder.com> wrote:
>>
>>>It is a common misconcpetion that a simple DLL will supply the =
necessary connectivity to a
>>>USB device.  This is not true.  Only a device driver (kernel or user =
mode) will work, and
>>>these are complex beasts that require extremely careful design and =
implementation.

>>>No "patches" to Windows are required. and "a DLL" won't do the job!

Customer Needs support on GP 7.01
Does anyone still support version 7.01. We have a customer that aquired another company that is running this version and needs some assistance. If you can assist, please email me at bobm@ehtc.com ...

Star TSP 700 USB receipt printer
Is anyone using this printer? I tried to use the raster driver and can get it to print a receipt but it doesn't pop the cash drawer. When using the OPOS driver for the printer it only shows COM port choices not USB. The cash drawer does pop if I use a parrallel TSP 743 printer and the OPOS driver. Pat Use USB and go into printer options and under raster it shows cash drawer info "Pat@arms" <Patarms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65B7D22C-34FD-4DC4-928A-7C3B4F952C5C@microsoft.com... > Is anyone using this printer? I tried to use the raster driver...

USB
Anyone have suggestions on good sites/books on accessing the usb port from Windows application? Would like to access a usb port as a serial or parallel port. Thanks Normally you access the USB port via the device driver for the specific device which is attached to that port (unless, of course, you are writing the device driver for a new device). I'm not sure that it's meaningful to attempt to" access a usb port as a serial or parallel port" without knowledge of the device you are trying to communicate with. Keith Is it possible to have a USB to rs232 device attached...

How do I enable USB ports?
I'm on a computer that was origionally intended for public use but is now used in an office and as a result of being intended for public use, it's set so that nothing connects to the USB ports. If I plug in a drive, it lights up, so there is power to the USB ports, but it doesn't show in My Computer. So how do I enable the USB ports? What icon do I go to in Control Panel? Or, in case that icon isn't there, in what subfolder of Z:\User would I find the file that opens the needed panel? Enter the BIOS and re-enable them. Also see:- http://www.dexternights....

Maintaining Order of Songs Synced from WMP to USB Stick
Hi There, I'm a novice, and I thank you for reading my message. I've been creating Sync Lists of Songs, with the songs mixed in a particular order I desire. I then name the playlist. I sync the lists into my USB Stick 1GB without shuffling, but upon playback the order of the songs in the playlist have been altered. In fact, they are played back in the order of the artist. Is it possible to sync the playlist exactly as I mixed it, and have the USB Stick playback the exact mix of song order accordingly? Or is this an impossiblity? Thank you for your help and...

Does Excel Support Drop-Down Menus to Select Information?
Hello, a very basic question about Excel 2003. Does Excel have a method of letting you use a drop-down menu to select data that's already been entered in a column? I'd like to streamline my selecting a piece of information, and I figured a drop-down menu might be the simplest way. I know Excel has an auto-complete feature, but if a drop-down menu, based on data already entered in a column, can be created, I'd prefer that. If this is possible, without macros or VBA code, or anything like that, what's the procedure? If it's not possible, that's all right. Thank yo...

USB problem
Running XP-SP3 with all updates current. I have a WACOM tablet, driver is latest version; plugged into a USB port in rear of DELL PC. I'll boot up and get error message,"USB device not recognized...". I check Device Manager and no flags are showing. I simply plug into another USB port and I get message that "Human Interface Device found" and my tablet now works. The next day I boot up and the same error message pops up and the fix is to reverse what I did the previous day, just plug back into yesterday's "bad USB port". Any ideas what I am ch...

MS-CRM should support Recurring Appointment
MS-CRM should support Recurrring Appointment, just like MS-Outlook. Since CRM works in Outlook, this functionality should be available. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defau...

Enumerating USB device
Hi, I have a USB device that has 2 logical units. USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_XXXX&PROD_YYYY&REV_0100\0123456789990&0 (Drive A:) USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_XXXX&PROD_YYYY&REV_0100\0123456789990&1 (Drive B:) I used SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces() func and I get just one:USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_XXXX&PROD_YYYY&REV_0100\0123456789990 I guess this is understandable since there is only one physical device. However, is there a function that I can use to get both the drive letters? I used the DEVINTERFACE_VOLUME GUID for the SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces() function. ...

Charging an IPod with USB
I'm in China where their electrical supply is 220V. I am using my laptop to charge my stepson's IPod. However, he is sometimes at his father's house where he only has access to a desktop which is using the 220V electrical supply. Does the desktop USB connection supply the same amount of power as my laptop USB connection or will I toast his IPod when using the USB connection on the desktop? In other words, do all USB connections supply the same amount of output power, regardless of the input voltage? Please excuse my ignorance and thank you in advance for any assistan...

Conversion of MFC to support Managed Extensions!
Hello, Iam trying to support Managed Classes for my MFC application . If I set this to support managed extensions I get the following, If I dont everthing builds successfully. Any help will be greatly appreciated. jay Error 7 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Debug_message(wchar_t const *,wchar_t const *,unsigned int)" (?_Debug_message@std@@$$FYAXPB_W0I@Z) referenced in function "public: void __thiscall std::_Iterator_base::_Orphan_me(void)" (?_Orphan_me@_Iterator_base@std@@$$FQAEXXZ) ARXMAIN.obj Error 6 ...

supports
128 mb of hp agp card, can support windows xp? hp 128mb pro ultra gl agp <hp 128mb pro ultra gl agp @discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > 128 mb of hp agp card, can support windows xp? A 128MB graphics card is plenty for Windows XP. 128MB of RAM will run Windows XP, but it will be slow as molasses if you use more than one application at a time. You might considering asking this question in the correct newsgroup. This newsgroup discusses Microsoft Publisher. http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm describes how to ask your question properly. -- Ed Bennett...

Unable to unplug the USB device if I open and close any document from USB device from my application
Hi, I have written a aplication which support specific file format document say .dat file. By using this application I can open \ read \ write the .dat files. But If I open a .dat file which is present in USB device and modify the content of a file and close the file properly then if i try to unplug the USB (without closing my application) then Windows Vista \ XP will not allow to unplug the USB device it says "Windows can's stop your Generic volume device....." message box. To unplug the USB device I have to close my application. Can anyone please tell me why I am u...

run-time error 8007007e 8.0 support administrator's console
Every time I try to run it I get this error. Works fine on other computers in the area. Using XP Pro, SP2. HELP ...

Kensington PocketHUB Mini USB 2.0 - Hub - 4 ports
List Price:$21.95 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000VMWG9U Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000VMWG9U The Kensington PocketHUB Mini USB 2.0 is the fastest way to turn one port into four. When you're traveling, your business doesn't stop. Now you can plug in and get four ports to do just about everything - scan, print, use your favorite mouse. Small, compact and lightweight, this is the smartest move you can make. Plug and play that's ready to go anytime, anywhere. ...

Can I still recover a file I saved in USB Flash disk from my HDD?
Can I still recover a file I saved in USB Flash disk from my HDD? Can it still be perhaps somewhere among temporary files? The story is short I saved s file in a USB disk and lost it... forgot to make a backup on my HDD. Do you know how to get down to the command (DOS) prompt on your pc? If you do take the following action:- 1. Go to DOS prompt. 2. Make sure you are at:- C:\> 3. Type in:- dir xxxxxx.xlsx /s - where xxxxxx.xlsx is the name of the file that you have lost. If it is still on your HDD the above command will tell you where it is (which direc...

Re: pst on a usb stick
Yep - that's what I have been doing. It's a minor price to pay for a very powerful capability (IMHO). Maybe I'll have to look into writing some VBA to close open PSTs then exit. Thanks! /SamCal/ Reply-To: "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> From: "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> References: <OywwLA5dIHA.2448@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl> <200851124616scalabrese@comcast.net> Subject: Re: pst on a usb stick Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 07:52:11 -0400 Lines: 49 Organization: Slipstick.com Message-ID: <77311BBA-C06C-42EC-A060-C9...

Multilanguage support in CE 5.0
Dear All, I need such languages support in windows CE 5.0: Persian,Burmese,Tagalog,Maltese But I got no these Locales in CE 5.0's Locale setting page. Is there any multilanguage support package from MS? Thanks. Miles Wang What comes with Platform Builder is what is available; there is no add-on to get more languages. I suppose that you could add your own support, but I wouldn't expect fun... Paul T. "Miles Wang" wrote: > Dear All, > > I need such languages support in windows CE 5.0: > > Persian,Burmese,Tagalog,Maltese...

Disable prompt for USB Driver
We are developing a system with CE 6.0 R2 that has a user accessible USB port. We want the user to be able to plug in flash drives so we can upload and download files. However if the user plugs in a device that is not supported via the built in drivers we get an Unidentified USB Device message box asking the user to enter the name of the driver. Is there a way to disable this prompt and basically have the system ignore the device? Thanks You can clone the USB Host driver and remove the call to CallGetDriverName() or you can clone NETUI and modify GetDriverName() The f...

How can i prevent xp auto play, when i inject a usb storage?
I want to prvent xp autoplay in vc programmed when a usb storage is injected into machines, how can i do? I know set regedit, can do this , but i want to know any other method, especially in programm. You can do the same thing you would do when you use RegEdit. You can alter the registery using : RegOpenKeyEx(...) RegQueryValueEx(...) RegSetValueEx(...) AliR. "tanyuheng" <tanyuheng@etang.com> wrote in message news:%23uERaFi%23FHA.3036@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I want to prvent xp autoplay in vc programmed when a usb storage is injected > into machines, how can i...

USB optical mouse
Hello, I have windows xp home installed and it was installed with ps/s mouse and keyboard. I am trying to install a USB optical mouse and I got the error below: A problem has occured during the installation. Your hardware might not work correctly. The USB port is enabled and I usually connect USB stick memory drives and it works fine, but there is a problem with the mouse. Mouse lights up, initializes during Bios routine but somehow windows does not see it. Thank you On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:40:44 -0700 (PDT), Tester <calinguga@netscape.net> wrote: >Hello, >I have wi...

CRM 3.0 Pro on a member server within a SBS2003 environment. supported? works?
can CRM3.0 Pro (not SBE) be installed on a SBS2003 environment on a member server (not the SBE server)? Yes, I've had that setup for some time with no issues... "IGA" wrote: > can CRM3.0 Pro (not SBE) be installed on a SBS2003 environment on a > member server (not the SBE server)? > > But is it supported by Microsoft. "James Sanford" wrote: > Yes, I've had that setup for some time with no issues... > > "IGA" wrote: > > > can CRM3.0 Pro (not SBE) be installed on a SBS2003 environment on a > > member server (n...

Does VS 2005 support OpenGL glut library?
Hi, Does VS 2005 support OpenGL glut libary? I have a program that has the following include statement that fails the compiler. Do I need to install a particular MS SDK and set the path for the new installed libary? Any help is appreciated. #include <GL/glut.h> Tony I have used it without any problems in a VS2005 projects. What is the error you are getting? AliR. "JD Young" <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O7ITbqm6HHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Does VS 2005 support OpenGL glut libary? I have a program that has the > f...

so one USB port not equal to other USB port
I have been having trouble with one of my USB hard disks. It worked for some time, but not reliably. In practice it randomly dismounted while copying files (and also when not copying). After that I had to pull the power plug and reinsert it to make the drive mount again. Yesterday this happened again, I got annoyed and, since the drive is still under a few monthes warranty, I decided to call Medion support. This guy advised to try it on another USB port. Initially I was sceptical but nevertheles I gave it a try. Guess what? The troublesome drive now seems to work like a charm! ...

USB mass storage device asynchronous file change notification
Hello, A challenge: I have a (RAM) disk, which is exposed as a USB mass storage device. Therefore, the desktop computer accesses my disk as a SCSI block device. Also, I mounted the same disk using the FATFS and I can see files under WinCE, which have been just copied over USB from the desktop. So far, so good. Now: if I create a file under WinCE, the desktop computer does not notice and I can wait forever. When I unplug and plug-in the USB again, I can see the file created before under WinCE. Is there a sort of SCSI asynchronous file change notification? If so, is there any exam...